Re: Another Jammy64pup

Post by Jasper »

@dimkr

Thank you so much :thumbup:

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@jrb

I was attempting to compile some applications today using the DevX file for D1 and got some errors.

I had also tried the same with FP64-95 and only of the two applications was compiled successful due to an outdated OpenSSL.

Which is why I thought I would try to compile them in this build.

The build logs are attached.

Also, I could not invoke the Python pip command in terminal.

So had to install this using:

Code: Select all

curl https://bootstrap.pypa.io/get-pip.py -o get-pip.py

then

python3 get-pip.py --force-reinstall

Marv

Post by Marv »

@dimkr The 5.15.85 kernel from here: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/ ... 4519481350 now succeeds in installing to (using StickPup) and booting from a USB flashdrive on my non-UEFI hardware. The previous 5.15.85 failed. Nothing UEFI here to test on.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

jrb

Post by jrb »

Marv wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 6:41 pm

@dimkr The 5.15.85 kernel from here: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/ ... 4519481350 now succeeds in installing to (using StickPup) and booting from a USB flashdrive on my non-UEFI hardware. The previous 5.15.85 failed. Nothing UEFI here to test on.

I can confirm Marv's results and add that this kernel boots on all my 64bit machines, Bios and UEFI, from harddrive and usb, plays sound and video. I think we have a winner. :D

Thanks @dirmkr, much appreciated, J

jrb

Post by jrb »

Jasper wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:32 pm

@jrb

I was attempting to compile some applications today using the DevX file for D1 and got some errors.

I had also tried the same with FP64-95 and only of the two applications was compiled successful due to an outdated OpenSSL.

Which is why I thought I would try to compile them in this build.

The build logs are attached.

then

Will have a look at this, hope someone more compile knowledgeable steps up, but who knows, sometimes I get lucky.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@jrb

When I compile the Python package there are options (just testing on FP64-95)

--with-ensurepip=install (if there is not a previous installation)

or

--with-ensurepip=upgrade (if there is a previous installation)

Also, it appear the D1-beta DevX SFS does not allow me to build executables using the C Compiler :oops:

If

jrb

Post by jrb »

Jasper wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:32 pm

then

Did you try installing python3-pip_22.0.2+dfsg from PPM? If you can install the packages you need to get this working using PPM it will be fairly simple for me to include them in a build. Otherwise I'm just guessing. (I'm just guessing anyway.}

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@jrb Hope your weekend is going well

I did not use the PPM this instance.

There are alternative ways of updating Python packages/builds eg Pipx which will allow you to create/download/install packages into an external directory. Thereby not breaking the existing internal structure.

Which is useful if you have applications that require different builds of Python to run.

From what I have read recently PEP668 appears to be the preferred method to be used moving forward. So the PIP command will become redundant as it can very easily break packages. Which is why Pipx is still a viable alternative.

jrb

Post by jrb »

OK, New ISO at page 1 post 1

The major change is new stable huge-5.15.85-kernel-kit.tar.bz2 by @dimkr which has booted nicely on everything I've tried it on. Thanks, @dimkr.

Just in case something isn't working with this kernel, audio etc, I have also included two scripts in the ISO which should be included in your frugal install directory. zdrv_cp2deb and zdrv_rst, the first will convert any zdrv to debian symlink compatiblity (only use it on 64bit zdrv's please). Just drag a zdrv from another working Puppy to the zdrv_cp2deb script and it will rename the original vmlinuz and zdrv with a .old extension and convert and copy the new zdrv and vmlinuz into your install folder. I've had excellent results with series 5.xxx and 6.xxx kernels and mixed results with series 4.xxx, Bionic64 4.19 worked well. If you get a boot message saying pause for 60 seconds, don't panic, just wait, you might get lucky. zdrv_rst should reverse the process and restore your original kernel but make sure .old file extensions are both gone.

2sec pause in /etc/init.d /connman to make sure previous config files are read and restart built into /usr/bin/connman-gtk to make sure it recognizes available wifi on slow computers (my laptop).

I'm very pleased with how things have turned out so far, but I have to warn you, it's Spring here. Daytime temperatures are consistently above freezing, the snow is melting fast and our entire clan is outside fixing, preparing and playing. Lots of projects on the go. Also I think I have reached my level of competence (or incompetence) on this project. Have surprised myself a couple of times but how long can I keep getting lucky? Anyway, if someone else wants to turn this sow's ear into a silk purse I'm more than willing to share what I have done, with some good helpers BTW. Contact me if you are interested. I will try to update my notes at page1 post2, later because right now I have a grandson to play with.

Cheers, J

Edit: Well just found my first oversight. All the Packages-puppy* are empty files. :oops: How did that happen? If you open PPM and go to Configure Package Manager (crossed tools)-> Update Database->Update Now you won't have to download another ISO. I'll have a new one up pretty quick.
Edit2: Problem corrected. upup-22.04-jrb-D3.iso uploaded and posted.

Last edited by jrb on Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Hi jrb, D2 is up and running. md5sum correct, clean boot, all my portables on-line and happy. I'll check multimedia and USB boots again later. AND it's spring here too. Woodpile about done, got my annual hedgerow cleanup and patching done, 6 new arborvitae in and mulched. Dog walks stretch out, birds are coming back, and one of these days I'm on call to fix fence -and garden- Whatever happens, it's been fun tinkering on this jammypup64, and

Update: Now D3, no problem!

Last edited by Marv on Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

jrb

Post by jrb »

Marv wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:34 am

Whatever happens, it's been fun tinkering on this jammypup64

+1 And thanks for all your help. 8-)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@jrb && @Marv && @dimkr

Thank you so much for building, maintaining and sharing this with us all :thumbup2:

I have installed this on a USB flash drive using fStickPup Installer and have successfully booted up on a UEFI PC.

The boot sequence is very clean with no error messages and all my hardware is supported.

I am not sure as to what the "mode-setting" option is in the graphics wizard and need to read up.

I did notice some tearing in video playback in mpv and need to create a config file to specify settings. I did a little test with my Intel-VA-API driver and it only failed on 1 test ..... something else for me to play around with hahahaha

I also used the SFS load application using the DevX and successfully managed to build a new application (only testing ........... going to use the v3.x builds as this is the default)

@jrb , spending time with the grandchildren is perfect and always appreciated. Hope the weather is good and you can all play around outside :thumbup:

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Hello, I'm setting up D3 to use with Celluloid for playing my TV recordings and I've run into a quirk.
If I do "terminal here" or ` it opens urxvt with the prompt set to the full path to the directory. Unfortunately the satellite receiver puts the recordings in a directory that includes the channel name, date and time twice in the path.

How do I change the prompt to something more concise?

Thanks

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@LateAdopter

Which build of Celluloid are you using?

Marv

Post by Marv »

LateAdopter wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:31 am

Hello, I'm setting up D3 to use with Celluloid for playing my TV recordings and I've run into a quirk.
If I do "terminal here" or ` it opens urxvt with the prompt set to the full path to the directory. Unfortunately the satellite receiver puts the recordings in a directory that includes the channel name, date and time twice in the path.

How do I change the prompt to something more concise?

Thanks

The prompt is defined in the file: /etc/profile.d/ps1.sh

Many variations are possible, a simple one is: PS1=" $ " , another is PS1=" > " . Just comment out the existing definition and put that or whatever you prefer in the file. Save the file and restart the terminal session and you should have the new prompt.

Last edited by Marv on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Double check the /root/.bashrc for any extra PS1= declarations so there are no conflicts.

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Marv and rockedge
Thanks for the suggestions. Editing PS1.sh fixed it.

I notice that fossapup64 doesn't have a PS1.sh. It has PS1="a long line of gibberish" in .bashrc that results in: root#

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Jasper
I'm using celluloid 0.20 which is what the Ubuntu repository provides.

I'll explain why I run Celluloid from a terminal opened in the sub-directory with the recording...

My satellite receivers record Transport Stream to USB storage formatted FAT32. Because of the file size limit they split the stream, at the byte level, into 2GB or 4GB segments. To play them properly they need to be concatenated during playback. MPV can do this using the ffmpeg concat protocol, but it considers concat to be unsafe, so you have to execute the command from the directory contain the files, and relative or absolute paths are not allowed. The command is something like this:

ffmpeg://concat:0000.ts|0001.ts|0002.ts

( if you type in a terminal you have to use \| )
I put the command in a text file and give it a .m3u extension. I copy the .m3u file to the directory containing the .ts files. Then I can run:

celluloid *.m3u

celluloid passes the command through to libmpv which plays the three files as one stream.
It is also necessary to pass --load-unsafe-playlists to libmpv. I put this in celluloid's commands for mpv box.

You can use the same system with MPV on it's own.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

An update for OpenSSL (OpenSSL 3.1 Final Release)

**EDIT** Removed links as informed it is incompatible ...... read next post

Last edited by Jasper on Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marv

Post by Marv »

Re: An update for OpenSSL (OpenSSL 3.1 Final Release. Got it. Installed cleanly in jammypup D3, version check showed update as yours did. No issues showed up with certs etc. in brief use doing first of month banking stuff. I'll run with it a bit in RAM and then put it into my ydrv.

Thanks,

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

AFAIK OpenSSL 3.1.x is binary incompatible with 3.0.x, this can break some applications.

Marv

Post by Marv »

@dimkr Any pointers on where I should look for breakage?

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Marv

I have removed the application and links.

Sorry for this :oops:

I was not aware that it is incompatible

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Marv wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:41 pm

@dimkr Any pointers on where I should look for breakage?

Basically, every application that speaks HTTPS. I expect curl to be among the first to break.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@dimkr

Can you give me an example of this?

Or better still how I should have compiled this correctly?

wiak

Post by wiak »

https://www.openssl.org/blog/blog/2022/ ... SL3.1Beta/

We do not expect users of the OpenSSL 3.0 release series to require any changes in their applications when migrating to the 3.1 series as the changes from the 3.0 series are limited. This new release represents a performance improvement and contains changes necessary for the FIPS 140-3 validation.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@wiak This talks about source code, not existing binaries (API compatibility vs. ABI compatibility). Applications that build against 3.0.x will build against 3.1.x, but applications already built against 3.0.x will complain if they use 3.1.x at runtime.

Slackware Current migrated from 3.0.x to 3.1.x recently and packages had to be rebuilt (http://www.slackware.com/changelog/curr ... cpu=x86_64):

n/postfix-3.7.4-x86_64-4.txz: Rebuilt.
Fixes warning about being compiled with a different version of OpenSSL.

n/openssh-9.2p1-x86_64-4.txz: Rebuilt.
Recompiled against openssl-3.1.0 to prevent "OpenSSL version mismatch.
Built against 30000080, you have 30100000."

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@dimkr

Thanks for the clarification.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@dimkr

Does this mean the OS will remain in this situation until it is updated/rebuilt with a newer build of OpenSSL?

Also, if I build GnuTLS and use this as the library for new builds of applications, will this be okay?

I really would like this project/build to develop further and not stagnate or be abandoned.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Ubuntu 22.04 will never jump to OpenSSL 3.1.x. Canonical applies security fixes to 3.0.x without introducing the potentially breaking changes in 3.1.x (that's what "stable" and "long term support" mean).

If you force the update to 3.1.x, you might break things.

If you're only worried about security, you need this Puppy to be rebuilt with the latest Ubuntu 22.04 packages every once in a while, and update your Puppy.

Return to “Built from woof-CE Recipes”