how to mount sda4 at startup, pls?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

boof

how to mount sda4 at startup, pls?

Post by boof »

need this partition mounted at all times-not used for pupsave nor OS, only has working copies of data. unsure of syntax of mount command.

Marv

Re: how to mount sda4 at startup, pls?

Post by Marv »

pmount will put a line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local to mount the partition at boot. Your sda4 should stow up in Menu>Filesystem>Pmount.

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (41.34 KiB) Viewed 403 times

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

boof

Post by boof »

fixed, no thanks to incomplete instructions. i am NOT a mindreader, and when i ask for help i expect sufficient detail to sort the problem, not create new ones i know nothing about. forumites usually know far more than me, and are more experienced at experimenting for solutions. a talent i've never developed, and at 69yo, i'm not likely to. i only use what i know, learning new stuff is now very difficult. i don't ever expect to learn much abt linux, because i can't retain it, and i want to use my weakening mind/memory on other things.

option to mount at boot does not exist. getting very tired of good and necessary features being discontinued for no good reason.

Last edited by boof on Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ally

Post by ally »

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?p=126028

from tgeer43:

I didn't mess with fstab and I didn't run any long script since I already know the drives that I want mounted. I just added the following two lines (per drive to be mounted) to my /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

mkdir /mnt/sdb2
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/sdb2

modify to suit

hth

:)

peterw

Post by peterw »

Try making an entry in /etc/fstab. Explained here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/fstab

Marv

Post by Marv »

boof wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:38 pm

option to mount at boot does not exist. getting very tired of good and necessary features being discontinued for no good reason.

I am running jammypup64 D1 and F96-CE_3. about as new as pups get. It's there in both. Did you click on sda4? Just used it in jammypup64 and as advised, the resulting line in rc.local is

Code: Select all

mkdir -p /mnt/sda1; mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 #pmount

80 and still learning something every day.

Last edited by Marv on Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

boof wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:38 pm

fixed, no thanks to incomplete instructions. i am NOT a mindreader, and when i ask for help i expect sufficient detail to sort the problem, not create new ones i know nothing about. forumites usually know far more than me, and are more experienced at experimenting for solutions. a talent i've never developed, and at 69yo, i'm not likely to. i only use what i know, learning new stuff is now very difficult. i don't ever expect to learn much abt linux, because i can't retain it, and i want to use my weakening mind/memory on other things.

@boof :-

Health issues aside, please bear in mind this is NOT a "help desk". It's a community forum, comprised of ordinary members of the public, and manned by volunteers who give their time - out of the goodness of their heart - to help others who share the same interests.

You are in NO position to grumble about not getting complete, full & detailed instructions. All I have ever seen you do is to demand help with a multitude of varied subjects. I don't think you've ever contributed one single, positive thing to this community.

Be grateful that you get what help you do. You're lucky with this bunch of lads'n'lasses; I know other fora where the members would cut you dead.....and just ignore you.

Please show some understanding.....and a bit of courtesy for people who try to help you would NOT come amiss.

Mike. :evil:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Start the pmount program.

menu -> Filesystem -> Pmount

Find sda4 in the list of drives.

Left click on the drop-down arrow at the beginning of the sda4 listing.

Left click on mount partition at boot so it is selected.

Close pmount.

Make sure to update the save so change is saved.

Next time you boot sda4 will be mounted.

Example:
I do not have a sda4, but it is the same for any listed drive.
My sda2 as example:

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (40.72 KiB) Viewed 327 times

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Fossapup64”