Another Jammy64pup

Moderator: Forum moderators

dimkr

Re: Another Jammy64pup

Post by dimkr »

This NTP checkbox doesn't really do anything. connman takes care of clock synchronization automatically, without changing the hardware clock.

Marv

Post by Marv »

jrb wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:54 pm

This made me realize I don't have frugalpup or grub4dos included. I also realize I haven't created a bootable usb drive with Jammy64pup. Better make sure everything works!

I''ll work on that and get back to you.

BTW, I was also very pleasantly surprised to find out, quite by accident, that latest grub4dos has dual boot compatiblity with windows7.(I only need it to run Canadian tax software.) IIRC, the older versions lost windows boot compatiblity after winXP.

I hadn't set up USB sticks since B2 or so, when I used both grub4dos and grub2 sucessfully, fat32 boot partition on the first, and EXT2 on the second. Repeated that in C2 on a little 4GB USB2 stick. Legacy non-UEFI hardware. No problems. I also tried the puppy installer to bootflash, stickpup, stick2flash, yadda-yadda in jammy64, F96-CE_3, and the current LxPupSc64. ALL failed, no matter what partition options I chose from them. Basically the same failure mode that @Jasper posted. Maybe the singlestep installs work in UEFI situations but for now, they seem like a trap for the unwary. Coinflip between grub2 and grub4dos. Both work well but neither is "singlestep".

Posting from Brave portable on sda2 in the grub4dos install of C2 to the little USB stick. As I have C2 set up, it looks for a viable data partition first on sda2, then sdb2, then sdc2 , chooses the first available and exports a variable pointing to that one. Portables from USB2 work but are slooow to launch.

Edited: Straightened out the C3s and C2s - I think-

Last edited by Marv on Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Where is the link to C3 Marv referred to in the next previous post? The OP has a link which accurately enables the download of C2.

Regrettably, the 'alphabet' drive I created to provide my usual applications to f96 --finally dawned on me that I didn't have to start from scratch each time a revised version was published-- can't be (renamed) used with Jammy64pup. Decided not to chase down the libs needed for masterpdfeditor. MikeWalsh's PDFStudio works OK. A version of pwidgets works, but doesn't support analog clocks. I can live with that. Will have to see which other of my 'usuals' will need fixing or replacing.

Marv

Post by Marv »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:16 pm

Where is the link to C3 Marv referred to in the next previous post? The OP has a link which accurately enables the download of C2.

Regrettably, the 'alphabet' drive I created to provide my usual applications to f96 --finally dawned on me that I didn't have to start from scratch each time a revised version was published-- can't be (renamed) used with Jammy64pup. Decided not to chase down the libs needed for masterpdfeditor. MikeWalsh's PDFStudio works OK. A version of pwidgets works, but doesn't support analog clocks. I can live with that. Will have to see which other of my 'usuals' will need fixing or replacing.

Sorry Mike! I bounce back and forth between F96-CE_3, which is a C3 and another jammypup64, which is a C2. I'll correct my post.

Last edited by Marv on Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based NoblePup64 (JWM & LXDE), Bookworm64 & Fossapup64-mid/mini (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

jrb

Post by jrb »

Jasper wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:27 pm

I couldn't get it to boot up from a USB flash drive, not to worry.

Wow! I really felt I had gone down the rabbit hole on this one. I've been using an mbr flashdrive to boot C2 on an old computer for days now with no problem. I only have one UEFI machine and I've only had it for a month or so. When I first got it I added another harddrive, setup a UEFI boot flashdrive and used that to setup the second harddrive as bootable, Puppy only.

Back to the boot problem. So, like @Marv, I created a UEFI flashdrive with bootflash, stickpup, stick2flash (I didn't try yadda-yadda) and upup-22.04-jrb-C2. Same results as @Jasper and @Marv. So I thought "What can I try next?" I switched kernels on the latest flashdrive to kernel-modules-6.1.12-kernel-kit.sfs, which I think is still the latest WoofCE Bookworm kernel. Hooray! it booted up no problem. :D So I switched to that kernel on my harddrive, wouldn't boot. :( Showed same message as Jasper got. So next I tried zdrv_vanillaupup_22.04.61.sfs the 5.15.56 kernel from @dimkr 's original. It works for both usb and harddrive and was in B3. No idea why the other kernels were so fussy about what they were installed on but guess which one will be in the next build? It is however an overlay only kernel, which means if your Pupsave doesn't show an /upper and /work folder in the top level, it won't work with this kernel.(see picture) New Pupsave time.

In the meantime, if you've been having trouble setting up a flashdrive, here's zdrv_upup_22.04.sfs (5.15.56) and its vmlinuz: Jammy64-kernel-5.15.56.tar.gz md5 b5330e8dce177dcf17716af7853fbcbe. Not a false .gz - you'll have to extract it.

Cheers, J

Attachments
pupsave1.jpg
pupsave1.jpg (13.3 KiB) Viewed 6076 times
Marv

Post by Marv »

@jrb I've gotten successful boots from my test USB2 stick, installs using Puppy installer > BootFlash > syslinux USB > FAT32 + syslinux and FAT32 + F2FS partition and from my grub4dos SSD install of upup-CE_2 using the (path adjusted) 6.0.12 FP kernel from the latest F96-CE_3 in upup-CE_2 FWIW. All non-UEFI hardware. as usual punionfs=overlay passed as a kernel parameter.

At first blush I'd say it is a F2FS support thing but the other kernels also balked at a straight Puppy installer FAT32 syslinux install to the USB stick so I really don't know what it is.

Monday morning: @ozsouths 6.1.15 overlayfs only kernel, available this AM, passed all three of the tests above. Path adjusted, no punionfs=overlay kernel parameter required, upup-CE_2. Tested only on my non-UEFI hardware, I have nothing UEFI to test it on. Just checked and it also boots cleanly from my grub4dos and grub2 formatted USB3 flashdrives (as expected). Again, non-UEFI hardware,

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@jrb

Thank you for the kernel update.

I have downloaded this already and will overwrite the existing one and hopefully I will land on a desktop :thumbup2:

**EDIT** Can confirm that this new kernel/vmlinuz works for me (UEFI boot)- many thanks :thumbup2:

@Marv

I saw that @ozsouth has kindly provided another kernel update.
I do use SFS files intermittently and therefore the SFSload option is important to me. From my understanding SFSes have to loaded at boot time to be accessible/operational.

**EDIT** I did also try @ozsouth latest kernel which did allow me to get onto my desktop. Unfortunately for me, no audio. Also checked the SFSload and it only works prior to boot up and not "on the fly" as stated before.

Also, during boot up I got an error message stating ZRAM swap FAILED. It still got me onto my desktop though.

Marv

Post by Marv »

@Jasper As far as I know, SFS must be loaded at boot time running overlayfs. I just tried to queue one and wasn't able to but I didn't persevere as I'm all portable at this point.

I have gotten successful boots from Puppy installed syslinux flashdrives (both fat32 + syslinux and syslinux + f2fs), grub2 installed flashdrives, grub4dos installed flashdrives, and my grub4dos SSD install with the following kernels at this point (my hardware is non-UEFI):
The 5.15.56 kernel @jrb just made available (my tests of that were some time ago)
The 6.0.12 FP kernel from the most recent F96-CE_3, supports AUFS and overlayfs (paths adjusted)
@ozsouths latest 6.1.15 kernel, overlayfs only (paths adjusted)

Fails include the 5.15.85 in upup-CE_2 and @ozsouths 6.1.14. A path adjusted 6.1.13 from @peebee boots and runs OK from grub2 and grub4dos installs but I never tested it with Puppy installer installs to flashdrives.

Update: Just saw your post -while I was writing- I'm in jammy running @ozsouths 6.1.15 now and I do have audio on this all intel i5 based laptop circa 2012 so it must be hardware dependent. Maybe the 6.0.12 FP would tick the boxes you need?

Last edited by Marv on Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Sorry should have said used the ozsouth's latest kernel with your default fdrv.

Will try the kernel you suggested next.

Thanks

LateAdopter

Post by LateAdopter »

Jasper wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:12 pm

I do use SFS files intermittently and therefore the SFSload option is important to me. From my understanding SFSes have to loaded at boot time to be accessible/operational.

To have sfs-load load and unload immediately you have to use AUFS. dimkr has done an excellent job having support for both AUFS and overlay support in the same initrd without conflicting. I have used AUFS for most of my testing of jammypup without any problems.

There are two rules:
1) In Jammy /lib and /sbin are symlinks, you must not load an fdrv, zdrv or any other SFS that has either as a directory.

2) Do not switch either way between AUFS and overlay with an existing savefile or folder. I always put punionfs=whatever on the kernel command line in case I mix up my kernels.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

For klv-airedale fredx181 has published 'Alternative SFS Load for testing' " to load an SFS 'on the fly' (on system with overlayfs) by using unionfs-fuse and chroot." viewtopic.php?p=81066&sid=9bf7e204fe266 ... 392#p81066. To create it he had compile or flinch unionfs-fuse from somewhere: "(unionfs-fuse binary is included in the package, it's not in the Void repo AFAIK). A version of unionfs-fuse is available in Jammy's repo, https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/22.04/ubuntu-un ... 4.deb.html, as are its dependencies.

I'm not yet clear-headed enough to experiment. Just thought I bring it to your attention.

wiak

Post by wiak »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:01 pm

For klv-airedale fredx181 has published 'Alternative SFS Load for testing' " to load an SFS 'on the fly' (on system with overlayfs) by using unionfs-fuse and chroot.

What is possible, and there are various such possibilities, may not always be wise. Good to have possibilities, but not maybe best to implement them for published releases - in KLV such possibilities are I believe now kept as optional (not default behaviour of the iso). Important to avoid danger to system, and it is not always easy to determine if sfs-load mechanisms are safe longterm (i.e. have no unwanted side-effects).

I'm not talking about sfs addons that are well-tested as part of a layered boot process - that's system design. But willy-nilly sfs-load is a different matter. Nowadays, more carefully designed and generally well-tested 'portable' solutions are often employed rather than sfs-load on-the-fly methodology. No problem having potentially-less-safe sfs-load mechanisms as options, but probably better to employ safer 'portable app' solutions overall.

There is I'm sure you are aware also dangers in allowing either aufs or overlayfs boot types. For one thing, they employ very different 'whiteout' mechanisms so seems to me that save persistence folders/files are at risk if a user isn't careful to stick with one or the other. It seems 'some' people (probably very very few really) continue to press for aufs support simply because of its easier to implement sfs-load-on-the-fly abilities and old habits that worked for them. I can't imagine those who develop any distro are likely to support any mechanism that isn't essential or risks overall distro stability or ease of future upgrade. Those who are sticking to older distros already have what they desire since their older distros already work the same way they always did.

Similarly with Desktop Environments, and display mechanisms, and audio systems - the future doesn't stand still. Even pulseaudio, so long resisted by some, is becoming replaced, X is becoming replaced. What was once used is becoming replaced, whether users here like it or not. Most of us continue to use X, and perhaps now pulseaudio, but that is temporary. Portable apps tend to be pretty huge, and personally I limit the number I use for that reason, but they do tend to work reliably, and generally speaking can be shared between installed distros. Let''s hope upstream doesn't end up making every package a portable though (since different 'portables' may well at times used different versions of the same libs as dependencies)!

Linux certainly has the problem that nothing stands still for long enough - new kernels released constantly - major packages needing re-compiled or failing to work together. Any sfs-load-on-the-fly mechanism has totally unpredictable consequencies therefore - best that is remains now optional only for those who don't mind the inherent risks (but being available as an 'option' is always then 'nice'); similar with the PPM or official package manager such as apt/dpkg argument: apt/dpkg management should in theory be near perfect, PPM probably not, but it is 'nice' to still have PPM as an alternative that works the same on all distros that traditionally use it - but users need to be kept aware of the dangers of such flexibility and good therefore that it can be disabled entirely for those who don't want any such 'risk'. I guess it depends how important stability is to the distro

fredx181 (credit where credit is due) also, by the way, developed the alternative sfs-load using symlinks methodology here (in forum contributions) quite a while back now (maybe first employed for his later overlayfs-based DebianDogs, but offered as optional for KLV) - similar to mechanism used for years by tinycorelinux - but has to be appreciated that each sfs so loaded by tinycorelinux have been very carefully designed not to cause problems in such arrangements.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

@Jasper @LateAdopter @Marv sfs_load calls sfs_load.overlay when using overlay. The latter simulates dynamic SFS loading after boot time using symlinks in pup_rw, but only under PUPMODE 5 or 13. It's fast enough and should work for most users. snapmergepuppy.overlay ignores these symlinks when changes are saved.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@wiak && @mikeslr && @LateAdopter

Thank you all for sharing this information and clarification plus a potential solution.

@jrb

I have decided to stick to kernel 5.15.56 as I did notice yesterday that this was the only one which did not give me a FAIL message for initialising ZRam Swap.

Also, it is the only one which provides me with audio playback.

I did try 6.0.12 FP used in Fossapup64-96CE and did get me onto my desktop but same ZRam error and no audio.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

I just have a few noobie questions to ask

I am using a USB flash drive and am unfamiliar with the current "Save" session settings.

Using FP95 (Pupsave 13), I was given the option to create a save file and to specify a filesize.
I notice now that once I created my initial save file I am not given any options ie save or not.
Is this option available to me?
If not, is there a way to create sequential Pupsave files? Allowing me to revert back to an older version if necessary.

For the applications that I do use and are not available via PPM.
Can I use previously compiled applications built in Fossapup64-95?
I am quite happy to rebuild them in Jammy64pup as there is a DevX supplied (yah!! :thumbup2: )

Is this OS using PulseAudio?

Everything so far works well ......... I have Bluetooth support (finally :lol: ), browser supports audio playback and I do like the layout of the applications and choice. There are a number that I have never used before.

Last edited by Jasper on Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonny

Post by sonny »

In JWM you can select 'autosave' or 'reminder to save' on exit

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Jasper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:32 am

I am using a USB flash drive and am unfamiliar with the current "Save" session settings.

Using FP95 (Pupsave 13), I was given the option to create a save file and to specify a filesize.
I notice now that once I created my initial save file I am not given any options ie save or not.
If not, is there a way to create sequential Pupsave files? Allowing me to revert back to an older version if necessary.

I am quite happy to rebuild them in Jammy64pup as there is a DevX supplied (yah!! :thumbup2: )

Everything so far works well ......... I have Bluetooth support (finally :lol: ), browser supports audio playback and I do like the layout of the applications and choice. There are a number that I have never used before.

Overlays?

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@Jasper, "Can I use previously compiled applications built in Fossapup64-95?
I am quite happy to rebuild them in Jammy64pup as there is a DevX supplied (yah!! :thumbup2: )"

Some yes, some no as I discovered trying to use a renamed "alphabet drive" I had created under f96. Some of the applications that the "alphabet drive" included worked OOTB when installed on their own. But 'AS-IS' something in that drive prevented syncing at boot-up.

Jammy64pup lacks many of the diagnostic and build tools I mention in this post and the one which follows it. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 513#p69513, As you can compile, you're a couple 'pay-grades' above me. I can only build using binaries and their dependencies others have created. Still, you may find using LIstDD that (a) the only reason an application created for an earlier Puppy doesn't function is that it lacks some dependency and (b) Jammy's repos don't provide any version of that dependency. You could, of course, set out to compile such application 'from scratch'. But sometimes all that would be needed are the missing dependencies.

If you're interested, maybe start a thread under the Section such as that which fossapup64 has, "Fossapup User Contributed Packages", https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 8980#p8980. While it may be too early, someone should if Jammy is to become the next Puppy binary compatible with its Ubuntu namesake.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@amethyst

I did try my Tor Browser SFS "on the fly" which did display in the SFS load menu (shows all the SFS ... ie adrv, fdrv :thumbup: ).

However, it did not run. I did not expect it to as I had made it for Fossapup64-95.

I am quite happy with the OS as it is not dissimilar to my current hardware commitments ie memory usage.

As it has LTS support and works now with no input from me, it looks like this would be the natural progression for me. I like the ethos of KISS (Keeping it Simple). I have always used the inbuilt applications eg browsers, text etc. For me, their is a reason the developers have chosen these applications and they work. The forum members are ingenious with their solutions/hacks to the add additional functionality.

Also, I like the inclusion of inbuilt applications (P? applications, thank you :thumbup: ).

Last edited by Jasper on Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@mikeslr

Firstly, let me wish you a speedy recovery and hope you and your wife are in good health :thumbup:

Thank you for your praise, however I do gain a lot from you and others here on the forum. I still cannot believe that Puppy is "20 years old".

I know @@jrb @dimkr @ @marv and all other contributors have given so much already. This is only a Beta and I believe this has potential. So thank you all :thumbup:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, jasper, for the kind thoughts. I'm pretty sure we have both recovered. What I thought might have been some lingering effects I now pretty certain are just my annual --it's March, I have a-- head cold. Pretty functional today. Enough to have done my usual exploring of a 'new toy', in this case Jammy64pup.
Since I don't compile, my first question is how many of the apps I've accumulated running other Puppys can be used. I'm pleased to say, "Many".
masterpdfeditor4 turned out not to be much of a problem. It only needed the same libs I had had to install for Voidpup64. I can supply them if anyone wants them.
tas-1.17.pet, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 990#p71990 ran OOTB. Used to capture this wallpaper:

JammingPups.png
JammingPups.png (387.56 KiB) Viewed 6079 times

FWIW, I'm posting using Iron-run-as-spot discussed elsewhere. Just discovered an easy way to upload using it. TAS placed the screenshot in /root. I just dragged it onto the short-cut to /spot.
XnView will require many Qt5 libs. But gThumbs was in the repo and was easy to assemble using PaDS, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 6355#p6355. As SFSes created using PaDS aren't 'user merge' compliant I took the precaution of mounting the SFS created from IIRC 38 debs, mounted it, copied the contents to a folder, moved the /sbin folder into /usr then dir2SFS (later dir2pet).
gThumbs is a nice graphic file manager, but doesn't do its own editing. However, it's Right-Click options then will open a selected graphic in an editor. By now I have mtpaint, gimp and LibreOffice-Draw so those are offered. But I also have Lazpaint which --if I can figure out how to use it-- will edit webp files. Before gThumbs would offer to open a webp in Lazpaint, I had to set the (Left-Click) run-action to it.
So I've had a busy and productive day. Jammy64Pup is shaping up really well. Great work JRB and 'crew'.

jrb

Post by jrb »

mikeslr wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:21 pm

tas-1.17.pet, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 990#p71990 ran OOTB. Used to capture this wallpaper:
JammingPups.png

You know I had uploaded a new build and was about to post it when I realized it was missing an icon on one of the apps, so I deleted the upload, rebuilt and reuploaded. When I went to post in the new build, palemoon told me I needed to update. So I deleted the upload, rebuilt and reuploaded and was about to post when I read your latest post.

I had tried tas in a fairly early build and couldn't get it working properly, it may well have been operator error, so I built my own little "mtpaint -s" app and included it. Then you recommended 01micko's mtpaintsnapshot.pet which was better so I switched to it. Now having found that you got tas working OOTB I managed it too. So I will delete the latest upload, rebuild and include tas, Sooner or later I'll get it done. :lol:

Thanks, J

jrb

Post by jrb »

Jasper wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:32 am

I should have kept better notes, but I believe when I made a USB flash drive with f2StickPup it behaved this way. In any case I often just go into my install folder and duplicate the save file with a different name. When I reboot I get a choice between the two, or more, and also the option to boot without a savefile.

Most apps will work providing, as mikesir pointed out, you include all the needed deps. Some times it's as simple as a new symlink or two. Check out /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 which was a simple symlink to the existing /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.8, needed by Osmo-2.10. Other times its so many deps it doesn't seem worthwhile, especially when libicu* gets involved. And occasionally you include all the deps, and then it segfaults. :cry:

No, It has pipewire and pipewire-pulse which, as I understand it, allows it to interact with apps that need pulseaudio.

That's what I like to hear. :D

Edit: Whoops, when I said above I duplicated savefiles, I actually meant savefolders, but it should work with savefiles too. I hope.

Edit2: I'll have a look at that no save option problem. IIRC That is usually the case when pupmode is 13 which should be listed in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE. If you put pmedia=ataflash on the kernel line you should get save icon on desktop and a save option at shutdown.

Marv

Post by Marv »

jrb wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:04 am

Edit: Whoops, when I said above I duplicated savefiles, I actually meant savefolders, but it should work with savefiles too. I hope.

Works fine for savefiles too. I have a directory called saves in each pup boot directory and I keep the last few there. Renamed with dates added if not much is going on or pre and post major changes. In F96-CE_3 and upup-CE_2 I don't run with a savefile or folder so I do as above but with my ~12MB ydrvs when I update or change. In either case, rollback is simple if needed -and sometimes it just is- .

Your SFS samba starts and seems to run correctly. Since I don't run a savefile SFS won't queue for boot but I just renamed it as an adrv to test. Like you, I've forgotten all I once knew about samba/yassm but It seems sound.

Mostly just using C2 as my daily. Claws Mail and Sylpheed side by side on gmail imap. Portable Brave, Slimjet (38.0.0.0), and un-googled chromium all run-as-spot and chosen kind of randomly. Portable Master PDF Editor and an older LibOffice portable when needed.

Cheers,

jrb

Post by jrb »

OK, New ISO at page 1 post 1

Have included FrugalPup with a number of Puppy install options, Grub4Dos bootloader config for BIOS computers - has duel boot capabilities, grub2_efi, Take a Shot! - screen capture app, Zarfy Monitor Control - multiple monitors.

Have reverted to huge-5.15.56-kernel-kit.tar.bz2 by @dimkr because it is overlay compatible and works for both UEFI harddrives, flashdrives and @Jaspers hardware. When we come up with another that ticks all those boxes I'll (probably) use that.

Try it and let me know what you think.

Cheers, J

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

XnView may not be as much of a PITA as I thought. listDD tells you what dependencies are missing. But it only searches what's on your system. It finally dawned on me to look in the package I downloaded. The files listDD noted as missing are there.

The problem with XnView is that it expects you to run the installer. Trying that you WILL find that the installer expects a binary missing from Jammy64pup --AFAIK, all Puppys-- and nowhere available. So creating an SFS, portable or pet is likely a restructuring/repackaging job.

Untested. But I think Take-a-gif will also run OOTB. I tested those of my accumulated AppImages and Portables of which I think most people will want some application in a category, e.g. video editors. As mentioned, some application in most categories ran OOTB. If memory serves, the only exception was some type of desktop recorder, e.g. SimpleScreenRecorder. Will look into that after messing around with XnView.

Edit: 3/24/23. Turned out that it was easy to build XnView as an SFS. Just download the .deb extract it, run PaDS on the extracted folder, mount the resulting SFS, copy its contents to a folder; edit /usr/share/applications/...desktop to have acceptable Category and IIRC delete %F from Exec=, then dir2sfs that folder. Xnview displays animated webp's properly. Unlike the tar.gz, the .deb located all files --except /usr/share/applications/desktop and a symlink to the binary-- in /opt. The desktop's Categories= argument symlinks to an icon in /opt.

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Marv

Post by Marv »

D1 up and running on my non-UEFI hardware, 2nd gen i5, all intel laptop. Stock 5.15.56 kernel for now. md5sum checked. 5 quick flashdrive install and boots done to the 4GB USB2 test mule:
StickPup OK
f2StickPup OK
Puppy Installer > syslinux on fat32 OK
grub4dos OK
FrugalPup minimal frugal installer OK

Posting from the last install above in Brave portable. No zram error messages but none expected. On this hardware zram setup was ok with all the kernels I checked in an earlier post, as was audio. Audio checked just now in Brave, Joan Baez is fine. TAS inclusion noted and checked. No CD/DVD checks done yet. All portables continue to work correctly. My daily for now.

Onward, and thanks :!:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Jammy64pup D1 running nicely on first boot on a DELL Inspiron 15 laptop using an external large HDMI monitor.
Frugal install on internal HDD, 4 gb RAM
WiFi connected and just starting to dig into D1 deeper......

jrb

Post by jrb »

@mikesir, @Marv and @rockedge, thanks for the timely reports, much appreciated.

I'm hoping people will test a number of kernels so we can come up with the best choice. As I said, needs to tick all the boxes. To make it easier I've written a small script that will convert any SFS, including zdrv's, to debian_symlink compatiblity.

I'm using zdrv_fossapup64_9.6-deb.sfs right now. Be careful, you do have to get the corresponding vmlinuz in your install folder.

Just drag the SFS to the script and the results should pop-out.
False .gz so remove it and make the script executable, right click->Permissions->Yes

sfs2deb_symlnk.gz
Convert SFS to debian symlink compatibility
(1.15 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
Marv

Post by Marv »

I'll probably switch to the 6.0.12 FP from F96-CE_3 and test some more soon. I like the idea of sharing a kernel with another very actively used and maintained pup if possible. That kernel, run in jammypup64 C2, worked across the board for me but failed for @jasper, probably missing some drivers needed on his hardware. I'll revisit it in D1. The 5.15.56 has LOTS of drivers but is pretty chubby as a result...

Return to “Built from woof-CE Recipes”