Croc: end-to-end encrypted, peer-to-peer file transfer .pet

Moderator: Forum moderators

jrb

Croc: end-to-end encrypted, peer-to-peer file transfer .pet

Post by jrb »

I posted this in the Another Jammy64pup thread. But I might as well post it here too.

Croc is a ridiculously easy file transfer progam. It's cli but I've created a couple of .pets, 64bit and 32bit, which put it on the right click menu.

Rightclick on a file or folder to "croc_send" it.
Rightclick on a folder to "croc_get" it in that folder.

That's it, nothing else to do.

You will need a .pet installed on both computers to use it.

It's also available for Windows, BSD, ARM, Mac but I'm not going to build packages for those guys.

Cheers, J

croc64-file_transfer-0.2.pet md5 51b3345d78f88d19fe1a558b0319b5fc
croc32-file_transfer-0.2.pet md5 023599386d444e34ace7f823a80c72ae

Last edited by jrb on Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marv

Re: Croc File Transfer .pet

Post by Marv »

Played a bit more with croc. Sets up a conf file (in /root/.config/croc) to save settings using croc remember, using a local relay works, I just set it up as a shell process on my main laptop using croc --relay . Using the local relay, the tcp port/ports do have to be opened up. Haven't played with --local yet. The default do not overwrite works. The author has a website but I found: https://linuxiac.com/securely-transfer-files-croc/ more succinct. Still CLI but I could see having two .desktops, croc get and croc send. Still interesting as a relatively quick minimal setup peer to peer. I need to do a bit more security related checking using it as --local, checking my router/modem firewall settings etc. The conf file makes it simple to have a fixed in-house password.
Last edited by Marv on Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

sonny

Post by sonny »

You can also download (and update it) right from the terminal:

Code: Select all

curl https://getcroc.schollz.com | bash
jrb

Post by jrb »

I just updated the croc .pet packages in the first post to 0.2. Not much difference, just got rid of a non-functioning menu entry.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks a lot.

With these pets you made easy the use of croc as file transfer program.

"Croc", uses end-to-end encryption and peer-to-peer transfer, so files are transferred directly between the sender and receiver without being stored on any third-party servers.

It has been designed to be simple and easy to use, making it a popular choice for secure file transfers among developers and other puppy users.

As I said, thanks a lot for your work.

jrb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:50 am

I posted this in the Another Jammy64pup thread. But I might as well post it here too.

Croc is a ridiculously easy file transfer progam. It's cli but I've created a couple of .pets, 64bit and 32bit, which put it on the right click menu.

Rightclick on a file or folder to "croc_send" it.
Rightclick on a folder to "croc_get" it in that folder.

That's it, nothing else to do.

You will need a .pet installed on both computers to use it.

It's also available for Windows, BSD, ARM, Mac but I'm not going to build packages for those guys.

Cheers, J

croc64-file_transfer-0.2.pet md5 51b3345d78f88d19fe1a558b0319b5fc
croc32-file_transfer-0.2.pet md5 023599386d444e34ace7f823a80c72ae

Return to “Network”