Moderator: Forum moderators

darry19662018

Quirky Light 7 by JRB

Post by darry19662018 »

Archive.org Page: https://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Quirky7_Light

Original:
http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/puppy/vi ... 1c20e662e3
new from jrb, a remix of Barry Kauler's Quirky April

In my continuing quest for small, efficient OS's suitable for use on older ram challenged machines, I have reworked the two Quirky Aprils from BarryK, the master of efficient, unbloated compiling.

They are the direct descendants of Puppy Wary5 and Racy5 and share much of the same characteristics. Both of these include mesa graphics accelerations so should meet your video needs. (unless you have nvidia?)

My adaptations use the initrd.gz, huge-kernel, pupsave and other features of WoofCE. With these they can be frugally installed, will save to a folder on a linux filesystem drive or onto the boot CD/DVD.
You can switch kernels with "Change Kernels" on the Setup Menu.

I have included my PortaBrowseInstaller with your choice of FireFox, Palemoon or Vivaldi. Just click the Browse icon on the Desktop or go to Menu->Internet.
You may choose to make one of them your DefaultBrowser at the end of installing. You can also use Menu->Setup->DefaultApplicationsChooser at any time. So far they have run every browser I have tried (except for Slimjet Mad ). Run as Spot is included as well.

Cups printing, Xsane or Peasyscan scanning, Libreoffice, Abiword, Gnumeric, etc. can be installed with PuppyPackageManager. Just be careful, Quirky-April has redundant packages, look at the dependencies listed and make sure there are no duplicates. Softmaker Freeoffice runs quite well.
ted-2.23-i386.deb & ted-2.23-amd64.deb are very lightweight wordprocessor alternatives.

Builds and Pets: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linux_Quirky7_Light
jrb

Re: Quirky Light 7 by JRB

Post by jrb »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:23 am @jrb :-

(Just to let you know, 64-bit Quirky April 'lite' has for months now been my 'go-to' Pup of choice as a 'daily driver'. Mind you, I shall still expect an update as to just exactly what you removed vis-a-vis the Mesa/OpenGL stuff. There's an awful lot of apps that would otherwise run were it not for this stuff missing..!)

Mike. ;)
Hi Mike,

Just did a quick check in /root/.packages/builtin_files/mesa and it looks like all the files are still there. I was pretty sure I hadn't removed any of them. Give me links to a couple of examples and I'll see if I can sort the problem.

Cheers, J
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hallo, jrb.

I see mention was made about "unless you have Nvidia". Umm.....guess what? :oops: :lol:

See, this is what I can't in fact figure out. Downloading BK's mesa-10.3.2-april64.pet from the Quirky repos at Ibiblio, as you say, everything appears to be there. But I've tried several AppImages and various other packages, every one of which complains about not being able to find 'OpenGL'... Is nouveau the problem here?

I'll sort out a few examples for you to try shortly. One other thing I must tell you, and that's about printing. I've just recently got this working in Quirky April, and I feel such a fool, because I quizzed you about this way back before you dropped off the radar.....and it turns out it would have worked months ago if I'd investigated a bit closer.

I don't know whether it's a peculiarity of CUPS 2.13, or what it is. Ever other Puppy I set up printing in, after installing the drivers, at the 'Detect' stage my old Epson comes up as "Epson Stylus SX218".....which is what it is. CUPS in Quirky only shows two choices; "Epson backend", or "Epson Inkjet Printer #1". For ages I've been thinking it wasn't detecting the printer, and used another Pup if I ever wanted to do any printing....

Just for the hell of it, around a month ago, I set-up "Epson Inkjet Printer #1" as though it WAS my SX 218. And whadd'ya know? That was it all along; it all works perfectly, just as normal!

(See, even us 'experts' - :lol: - can still be fooled by a simple change of title. Threw me right out, it did!)

----------------------------------------------

I'll sort out a few of these AppImages for you to have a butcher's at. I use a lot of these, along with various other 'portable' packages.....run from an externally-mounted partition via custom Menu entries, most are shared between multiple Puppies. Let me dig a few out, and I'll get back to you.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@jrb:-

Try these three for size:-

Current Blender (from their web-site):- https://www.blender.org/ It's a self-contained directory; open a terminal within, and run

Code: Select all

./blender
Shotcut Video Editor (again, from the web-site):- https://www.shotcut.org/download/ Download the AppImage, or the .tarball - your choice. The end result will be the same, though I find the AppImage is easier.

Stellarium - this one from https://bintray.com/probono/AppImages/Stellarium Click on the 'Files' tab, and you want the first entry.

-----------------------------------------

Running all these from the terminal in Quirky, there's always mention about 'can't load egl.so' or 'can't load DRI2' or 'can't verify a working OpenGL system' or 'GLX not functioning', etc.....all stuff along those lines. In fact, Stellarium pops up a neat little GUI window to tell you it can't find an OpenGL system...

However, one small bit of good news vis-a-vis a functional video editor; the FlowBlade video editor's AppImage (1.8.0, so not 'current' by any means) does work.....flawlessly. I'm just not very keen on Flowblade's looks and layout, that's all! I'd prefer Shotcut; this same AppImage works perfectly in other Pups. In fact, if I'm honest, I'd prefer either Openshot or KDEnlive, but Openshot is just a bunch of Python scripts, and KDEnlive - like all KDE stuff - wants the entire back-catalog of the Plasma desktop before it'll condescend to work!!

Don't spend too much time on these, mate. I don't want you getting bogged-down in stuff that's of no real consequence.....though I AM curious as to why all these apps can't seem to find the OpenGL stuff, when it appears to be there. That stuff's a wee bit above my 'pay-grade', I'm afraid.

(I do NOT have much experience with discrete video cards, I have to add. I only bought my first one this year, to go with this new HP desktop.....it's all pretty new to me, though I have managed to build drivers for a few Pups with getNvidia. Which I'm rather chuffed about..!! :D)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Re-masters”