Unable to download torrents using Transmission in S15Pup

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

yolhurt

Unable to download torrents using Transmission in S15Pup

Post by yolhurt »

I have a frugal install of S15Pup on my laptop. I'm unable to get the version of Transmission that comes with S15Pup to download any torrents. "Downloading metadata from 0 peers (0% done)" is as far as it gets after a magnet link is added. In Slacko 5.6 on the same laptop, Transmission works fine with the default settings.

Could anyone who uses S15Pup tell me if Transmission works on their setup? I'm not sure if it's a firewall issue or something.

Thanks.

Last edited by yolhurt on Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Re: Unable to download torrents using Tranmission in S15Pup

Post by mikewalsh »

@yolhurt :-

I don't think I've ever bothered with Transmission.....except once, many years ago. Couldn't get on with it. Personally, I use the Tixati 'portable' edition, which keeps everything self-contained within its directory, even the downloads:-

https://www.tixati.com/download/portable.html

The download contains both Windows AND Linux 32-bit and 64-bit binaries - I just delete the Windoze items - which makes it ideal for sharing between multiple Puppies from an external partition. I just drag the appropriate binary onto the desktop, re-name it & tart it up with an icon, and use it as the 'launcher'. I also sym-link the downloads sub-directory into /root of every Puppy.

I run these in their own directory from an auto-mounted external drive......along with the 'tixati_portable_mode.txt' file (this is what triggers Tixati to run AS a 'portable').

Just my two-penn'orth.....FWIW.

Mike. ;)

yolhurt

Re: Unable to download torrents using Tranmission in S15Pup

Post by yolhurt »

Cheers Mike, I've just given Tixati a quick try in S15Pup and it seems to work well. No download issues and a nice interface too. I think I'll just forget about Transmission and use this for torrent files from now on.

mikewalsh

Re: Unable to download torrents using Transmission in S15Pup

Post by mikewalsh »

Don't get me wrong; I've nothing against Transmission at all. It just wasn't for me. But I've never been too bothered about hunting around for suitable alternative Linux apps, even if it means looking outside the repos.....which veteran Linux users insist is about the worst thing you can do.

Tixati seems to be pretty gentle in its requirements; it'll happily run in a 10-year old 32-bit Puppy every bit as well as it does in a brand spanking new, bang-up-to-date 64-bit one.

Linux stuff is everywhere nowadays, often in the most unexpected places. Ya just gotta use a search engine.....they're out there for the finding, even if it DOES smack of the way Windows users do things. We've always been a somewhat unconventional bunch here, anyway! :D

Mike. ;)

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:08 pm

Don't get me wrong; I've nothing against Transmission at all. It just wasn't for me. But I've never been too bothered about hunting around for suitable alternative Linux apps, even if it means looking outside the repos.....which veteran Linux users insist is about the worst thing you can do.

I noticed there are a few other torrent clients in the S15Pup64 PPM but (unfortunately, as I've found with almost everything in there :/) none of them worked. Tixati seems to be exactly what I was looking for to be honest. It reminds me of Utorrent that I used to use in Windows.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

yolhurt wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:41 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:08 pm

I noticed there are a few other torrent clients in the S15Pup64 PPM but (unfortunately, as I've found with almost everything in there :/) none of them worked. Tixati seems to be exactly what I was looking for to be honest. It reminds me of Utorrent that I used to use in Windows.

Heh. You're not the first to make that observation. A lot of people have remarked, in recent years, how similar the two are in both operation AND appearance. I'm not a frequent user, but to me it's laid out very logically.....even the (admittedly) comprehensive settings are quite easy to suss out.

Transmission's one of the older breed of clients, as far as its GUI layout goes. Very tiny icons, in out-of-the-way locations.....and nothing's really what I'd call intuitive. There's plenty of folks that swear by it, though......along with enough that swear AT it! :lol:

I'm very much a "visual" person; I respond far better to plenty of visual 'stimuli' - like clear images/icons, good design, intuitive layout, etc - than I do to a wall of text. But hey! that's just me.

Mike. ;)

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

yolhurt wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:48 am

Could anyone who uses S15Pup tell me if Transmission works on their setup? I'm not sure if it's a firewall issue or something.

Just wanted to report that I tested transmission in fresh boots of 64bit and 32bit S15Pup and both worked for me, even with firewall enabled with default settings.

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 pm
I'm very much a "visual" person; I respond far better to plenty of visual 'stimuli' - like clear images/icons, good design, intuitive layout, etc - than I do to a wall of text. But hey! that's just me.
I think I'm similar too. Nothing pleases me more than a nice, clean GUI, lol.

OscarTalks wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:42 am Just wanted to report that I tested transmission in fresh boots of 64bit and 32bit S15Pup and both worked for me, even with firewall enabled with default settings.
Thanks for the info. In that case I'm not sure why it doesn't work on my laptop. I tried changing a few settings but with the same result. I've decided not to spend any more time on it though and just use Tixati instead.
robertstein

Post by robertstein »

yolhurt wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:13 am
mikewalsh wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 pm

I think I'm similar too. Nothing pleases me more than a nice, clean GUI, lol.

OscarTalks wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:42 am

Just wanted to report that I tested transmission in fresh boots of 64bit and 32bit S15Pup and both worked for me, even with firewall enabled with default settings.

Thanks for the info. In that case I'm not sure why it doesn't work on my laptop. I tried changing a few settings but with the same result. I've decided not to spend any more time on it though and just use Tixati instead.

I know this thread is quite old but have you found a solution for this? i have been facing the same problem and regardless of messing with settings i am stuck as well. thanks.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

robertstein wrote:

I know this thread is quite old but have you found a solution for this? i have been facing the same problem and regardless of messing with settings i am stuck as well. thanks.

have you adjusted the Port Forwarding in the router to open the Transmission's incoming listening port?

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

robertstein wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 5:26 pm

I was unable to reproduce any problem so looking for a solution was not an option for me. As to why it would work for me but not for others is a bit of a mystery, but probably something relating to the type of network connection or a setting which you have not yet discovered. Could something be blocking traffic over torrent protocols? Are you using a VPN which could be doing this for example? For others who posted above, using a different program (Tixati) was the solution, have you tried that? Are you running S15Pup (64 or 32) or some other Puppy version?

Return to “Beginners Help”