F96-CE Website is Ready!

Moderator: Forum moderators

wizard

Re: F96-CE Website is Ready!

Post by wizard »

@rockedge
@bigpup

Puppy icon is a clickable link to the forum section Getting Started and System Requirements.

Probably questionable since many of those instructions only apply to Fossapup64 9.5, Dpup Stretch 7.5, Friendly-Fossa64 or Friendly-Bionic32.
Instead, you might want to make note of and put a link to the F96 specific help files in Help_F96.pet. Those mirror "Getting Started and System Requirements" with the changes needed for F96. LInk is currently here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wizard ... t/download

Thanks
wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Problem is it makes it look like CD (depreciating) and USB are the recommended install methods and makes Puppy give the impression it's a niche distro other than this is just one of the installation method possible.

What do we label the button as? Site Aesthetic counts here.

Screenshot(33).jpg
Screenshot(33).jpg (25.63 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Screenshot(34).jpg
Screenshot(34).jpg (20.95 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Screenshot(35).jpg
Screenshot(35).jpg (21.62 KiB) Viewed 689 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wizard In this case it appears I'll have to adjust the entire getting started section content with the new contents of the Help.pet. No point in having outdated information at the very top of the forum either. Then the links will be valid.

Or to avoid the work involved I could just add some more pages somewhere and have several versions of help again. which is a thing with Puppy Linux being around for so long...that much of the older instructions out there is depreciated and scattered all over.

We'll need to revamp the entire Getting Started section to be able to link to valid sets of instruction and information.

Or what if we make a entire web page linked to the F96 page that is F96 specific and put that page in the f96.puppylinux.com subdomain........

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

Problem is it makes it look like CD (depreciating) and USB are the recommended install methods and makes Puppy give the impression it's a niche distro other than this is just one of the installation method possible.

Not sure I fully understand, but I have gone back and edited the instructions listing USB first in all instances.

Regarding placement, I'd stack the buttons vertically giving Download precedence and then put either just a white text link or button "Installation Instructions"

Thanks
wizard

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge
You're right, there's no one size-fits-all set of instructions. Here's two solutions to consider:
1. Let the user download and install the instructions for the release - probably the least work
2. Restructure the "Getting Started and System Requirements" to initially just display a menu of distos like this:

Getting Started and System Requirements
*General Help
*Help for F96-CE
*Help for Fossapup64 9.5, Dpup Stretch 7.5, Friendly-Fossa64 or Friendly-Bionic32.

I think we have most of the content, we just need to shuffle it into the right places, I can help you with that.

Thanks
wizard

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wizard I'm very interested in getting your help to make the updates and changes.

I like the idea of having the Install instructions downloadable for the specific release. That would be the easiest to maintain up to date.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

Download the help files pet from this link and install.
Edit: LInk removed
After installation click Menu and you get the Help_F96 choice. Take a look at those and see if it's close to what you're thinking.

Thanks
wizard

help96menu.png
help96menu.png (10.91 KiB) Viewed 583 times

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

wizard wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:54 pm

@rockedge
You're right, there's no one size-fits-all set of instructions. Here's two solutions to consider:
1. Let the user download and install the instructions for the release - probably the least work
2. Restructure the "Getting Started and System Requirements" to initially just display a menu of distos like this:

Getting Started and System Requirements
*General Help
*Help for F96-CE
*Help for Fossapup64 9.5, Dpup Stretch 7.5, Friendly-Fossa64 or Friendly-Bionic32.

I think we have most of the content, we just need to shuffle it into the right places, I can help you with that.

Thanks
wizard

Hi - you will also need to update these links to

wikka links
wikka links
link pages.png (97.22 KiB) Viewed 497 times

Wikka -

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mow9902 Good reminder! I fixed it, Please check that it meets the criteria.

ALSO.....there has been some recent activity editing and updating pages in the Wikki which hasn't happened for 3 years or more.

wizard

Post by wizard »

@rockedge

Were you going to a add a link to the Help_F96.pet file to the website that we discussed above? Right now they are on Sourceforge due to forum upload size limit, but sure you could move them to the forum and then link.

Thanks
wizard

Return to “F96-CE”