Problem with CUPS installing Epson XP-245 printer, it spews paper with no printing

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

k1e3w5

Problem with CUPS installing Epson XP-245 printer, it spews paper with no printing

Post by k1e3w5 »

Hi

I just frugal installed
Fossapup64 9.5 Linux 5.4.53
on an old Dell dimension 5150

but having problems with CUPS installing an Epson Expression XP-245 that is connected to the router by wifi

It just spews out paper when I send a print job and prints nothing ..... printer works fine on Windoze and Linux Mint

Any ideas?

Thanks

ozsouth

Re: Problem with CUPS installing Epson XP-245 printer, it spews paper with no printing

Post by ozsouth »

@k1e3w5 - blank pages usually means ghostscript or gutenprint issue. As to fixing it, sorry, not my specialty. I've taken to buying Brother or HP as they seem to go better under linux. Maybe @rcrsn51 will see this & be able to help.

geo_c

Re: Problem with CUPS installing Epson XP-245 printer, it spews paper with no printing

Post by geo_c »

ozsouth wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:28 pm

@k1e3w5 - blank pages usually means ghostscript or gutenprint issue. As to fixing it, sorry, not my specialty. I've taken to buying Brother or HP as they seem to go better under linux. Maybe @rcrsn51 will see this & be able to help.

I concur. A year ago I bought a new Epson and couldn't get the drivers working right in CUPS, after doing a lot of internet printer forum reading. I really wanted it to work because the printer was nice, and took refillable ink. But it was going nowhere, so I knowing that HP provides the hplip package for most linux distributions, I brought the Epson back and exchanged it for an HP, which after installing the latest hplip package worked perfectly.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

k1e3w5

Post by k1e3w5 »

It works on a wireless Dell laptop with Linux mint Sylvia (2017), cant remember if I had to do anything special to get that to work as it was a few years ago.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

It's only an idea, you can try it or not, but remember.... at your own risk :)

It sounds like there may be a driver issue with your Epson printer on Fossapup64, for sure you have tried some of this steps, but, just in case...

Check if the correct driver is installed: Open the CUPS web interface by going to http://localhost:631/ in your web browser. Click on the "Administration" tab and then "Add Printer". If your printer appears in the list of detected printers, select it and click "Continue". If not, try clicking the "Find New Printers" button. If your printer still doesn't appear, you may need to download and install the driver manually from the Epson website.

Check the printer settings: Go to the CUPS web interface and click on the "Printers" tab. Click on your printer and then click "Maintenance" > "Print Test Page". If the test page prints correctly, the printer settings are likely correct. If not, try adjusting the settings such as paper size and print quality.

Try a different driver: If the correct driver is installed and the printer settings are correct, try using a different driver. In the CUPS web interface, click on your printer and then click "Administration" > "Modify Printer". Click "Continue" until you get to the "Choose Driver" page. Try selecting a different driver from the list.

Check the printer queue: Go to the CUPS web interface and click on the "Printers" tab. Click on your printer and then click "Jobs". Check if there are any stuck or paused print jobs. If so, try deleting them and sending the print job again.

Reboot the printer and router:
Sometimes simply rebooting the printer and router can resolve connection issues.

I hope these steps help resolve the issue with your Epson printer on Fossapup64, have a nice day

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

k1e3w5

Post by k1e3w5 »

Great, I got it working by changing the driver for the XP-240 printer. But standard print quality is more like the slow speed of photo print.

I've installed LibreOffice and I just can't get it to store defaults for the printer, I keep having to change it from CUPS-PDF to the Epson printer, and change paper size letterhead to A4, even though Ive tried all the default options. I think.

:?

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

To set the defaults..
Open cups web interface
printers tab
click your printer
Click Administration
Set Default options for the paper size
Set as Server Default to set the default printer

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@k1e3w5 :-

With regard to LibreOffice not "storing" printer settings, it'll never happen in a million years. It's a long-standing issue with L.O.; it's set to always default to CUPS-PDF, regardless of what you might decide to do otherwise. In almost a decade of using Epsons with Puppy, it's always behaved like this.......I suspect it'll do it regardless of printer in use.

It's probably because CUPS-PDF is the default setting under CUPS; even before you install a driver - or 'filter', as CUPS calls it - CUPS-PDF is there from the moment CUPS is installed.

--------------------------------------------

As for the speed being that of photo-print.......would you happen to know exactly which Epson driver package worked for you? Where did you get it from?

Epson are somewhat unusual among printer manufacturers. Unlike most others, who provide 'custom' drivers tailored specifically for every single model they produce, Epson, over the 40+ years they've been building these things, have only ever produced something like a dozen, 'generic' drivers for the entire range. Some of these drivers/'filters' are basic ones, whereas others provide the full range of settings that you would be able to access under Windoze.

At least, they did under USB-connected ones (my current SX218 is almost 12 years old at this point, and I've never yet gone 'wireless' for printing).

Easiest way to check would be to access the CUPS web interface directly:-

http://localhost:631/

Tab 'Printers'->click on your printer->Administration 'drop-down'->Set Default Options. If you have stuff like 'Paper & Quality Options' and 'Colour management' showing, you've got one of the 'full-featured' drivers. The 'basic' ones don't provide these, and only print at 'draft' speed.

Mike. ;)

k1e3w5

Post by k1e3w5 »

@mikewalsh

Thank you.

BUT

Interestingly in Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia, CUPS all works and saves it as A4 and as the Epson printer by default .... so the million years passes very quickly ;) but it does seem to be a different printer dialogue box. Screenshots below.

.... can someone remove the 'Solved' on the topic as I'm still trying, OR should I start a new topic as it is slightly different subject?

Back to Fossapup : On the advice of pp4 in a few post above, I changed the driver to the one that appeared in CUPS for the XP-240 as with the XP-245 driver the printer just spewed out paper.

Tab 'Printers'->click on your printer->Administration 'drop-down'->Set Default Options.

Yes I have all have stuff like 'Paper & Quality Options' and 'Colour management' showing, but if I change them they don't stay.

Screenshots from Mint with XP-245 fully working are :

Attachments
Screenshot_2023-03-10_09-23-13.png
Screenshot_2023-03-10_09-23-13.png (21.3 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Screenshot_2023-03-10_09-22-33.png
Screenshot_2023-03-10_09-22-33.png (55.41 KiB) Viewed 498 times
Screenshot_2023-03-10_09-20-16.png
Screenshot_2023-03-10_09-20-16.png (91.62 KiB) Viewed 498 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

If it's a different subject, please start a new thread for it. If, however, it's related to the original problem, we can continue with this thread.....but let me know please, and I'll edit the title for you.

Mike. ;)

k1e3w5

Post by k1e3w5 »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:33 am

If it's a different subject, please start a new thread for it. If, however, it's related to the original problem, we can continue with this thread.....but let me know please, and I'll edit the title for you.

Mike. ;)

Yes, sorry, I will start a new thread as I have got it actually printing now:

Epson XP-245 working by wireless on Fossa64 9.5 but CUPS not storing printer defaults
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=8223

Return to “Users”