How to boot 2 Linuxes and Windows 10 from 3 hard drives?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Fishy

How to boot 2 Linuxes and Windows 10 from 3 hard drives?

Post by Fishy »

Hi all.
I have an older AMD dual core with 4 gig of ram. Box has 3 hard drives (2 - 1600 gig and 1 - 1200 gig. Puppy, Linux Mint, and Windows 10 are installed separately each to it's own drive. Using grub4dos All three distro's are found. However, only Puppy will boot and the other two indicate kernel is not found. So where in hell should the boot-loader be installed? SDA. SDB SDC?

Normally I use Puppy but Mint has been fun to play around with. Windows is on because my wife refuses to look at Linux. :roll:

Thanks a bunch in advance. :D

williwaw

Re: Grub4dos location

Post by williwaw »

when booted in puppy, can you run and post the output from the command blkid
also post contents of the file menu.lst found in puppy disk

alternately,
unless you have deleted the bootloaders the were installed with windows and mint on their respective disks, you might consider using them to boot by choosing your boot disk in a disk selection menu found in your bios. this can usually be accessed by pressing a F key at boot time

google
boot disk menu model-of-your-computer

fo find which F key

Clarity

Re: Grub4dos location

Post by Clarity »

Which PUP did you install as the modern PUP are different than the early PUPs. This is asked as there may be helpful utilities in your PUP.

And I assume you are aware of Windows requirements...correct? And I assume you are aware that Mint is GRUB2 based while PUPs can be either without issue or consideration.

pp4mnklinux

How to boot from 3 hard drives with threes systems?

Post by pp4mnklinux »

If you have installed each operating system on a separate hard drive, then you should install the boot loader on the first hard drive in the boot order. In your case, since Puppy is able to boot, it is likely that the boot loader is installed on the first hard drive in the boot order, which may be SDA.

To fix the issue with the other two operating systems not being able to boot, you can try reinstalling the boot loader on the first hard drive and configuring it to detect and boot the other two operating systems.

Here are the general steps to reinstall the boot loader using grub4dos:

Boot into Puppy Linux.

Open a terminal window and run the following command to install grub4dos on the first hard drive:

Code: Select all

grub4dos-install /dev/sda

Replace "/dev/sda" with the appropriate device name for your first hard drive.

Edit the grub4dos configuration file to add entries for Linux Mint and Windows 10. The configuration file is located at "/boot/grub/menu.lst".

Here's an example of how to add an entry for Linux Mint:

title Linux Mint
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb1 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img

Replace "(hd1,0)" with the appropriate device and partition number for the Linux Mint installation. Replace "/dev/sdb1" with the appropriate device and partition for the Linux Mint root file system.

Here's an example of how to add an entry for Windows 10:

title Windows 10
rootnoverify (hd2,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

Replace "(hd2,0)" with the appropriate device and partition number for the Windows 10 installation.

Save the changes to the grub4dos configuration file.

Reboot the computer and test that all three operating systems can be booted from the boot loader menu.

There are people much more prepared for doing this than me, so first of all, try to solve your problem with their suggestions, try this one just if they fail.-

Have a nice day. CHEERS

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

Return to “Users”