How about that free Opera VPN?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

pp4mnklinux

How about that free Opera VPN?

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hello everybody:

As u know, I'm using slimjet 38 as my default browser.

I also use Firefox for different reasons (plugins, community...).

I need chrome because nowadays I need it for my work.

But I use Opera too for its free VPN configured virtualy to Europe.

Did you try it?
What do you think about this option?
Will Opera be the default puppy browser thanks to this privacy option?

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

mow9902

Re: Opera VPN

Post by mow9902 »

..opera works very well - use it if you feel comfortable with the ownership of the company which makes the software.

houndstooth

Post by houndstooth »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:36 am

Did you try it?
What do you think about this option?
Will Opera be the default puppy browser thanks to this privacy option?

It's a great option. Be cognizant of whether or not it's on. Opera & Brave share a league of their own for the VPN feature.

Pale Moon is the best default browser for Puppy, the only good alternative being no browser at all.

There's Quickpet there on the default desktop & plenty of standalone & repository options.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

@houndstooth

Hello everybody:

Thanks for your answer, but can you tell us some objective value that makes palemoon the best browser for PUPPY (and remember that there are thousands of puppies?

I think no one want subjective values (my best folders are Firefox and Slimjet , and not in that order, jeje), so, plz, can you tell us what makes palemoon the best browser option for puppy... and for you :)

Have a nice day.-

CHEERS... :thumbup2:

:arrow:

XFCE_FUSILLI . ===> https://puppyxfcefusilli.wordpress.com/

YouTube How_To . ==> https://bit.ly/f96ce_xfce_fusilli_HOWTO

Learning EASY OS . => https://easyos.org/

wiak

Post by wiak »

I simply use Windscribe for the rare occasions I use a VPN. I've only used it as an addon Firefox extension when running KLV-Airedale, but does the job. I use free service, and have max free 15GB traffic allowance per month, but I've never used more than that amount. Haven't tried it with other browsers I use with other distros, but will. My youngest son was using Opera and seemed to like it, though he had it loaded up with so much junk it seemed to crawl to me. He has that tendency to try anything and everything new he finds - was making website pages and coding in javascript via ChatGPT a while back prior to me even hearing of its existence (now we all know of course). As for his Opera install, frankly it was so foreign to me (perhaps the crazy way he configured it) I was totally lost trying to use it and couldn't even work out where the tabs were so found it very frustrating; I'm pretty sure Opera is fine by default though...

I tend not to 'trust' going through VPNs so only use Windscribe on particular distro installs, so boot that particular KLV when I plan on using Windscribe; I'm possibly being a bit over cautious though.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

houndstooth

Post by houndstooth »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:14 am

@houndstooth
can you tell us some objective value that makes palemoon the best browser for PUPPY (and remember that there are thousands of puppies?

Hola there in... Scotland? Answer below:

Footprint Pale Moon is one of the smallest full-featured desktop browsers. Compare & see for yourself. Real 'lightweight' browsers tend not to support resource intensive pages. Resource efficiency is part of Puppy's mission (ie, why we all use JWM).

OS Flexibility If you run a lean Puppy without a lot of dependencies, Pale Moon is the browser easiest to get running. It works on the 163mb Fossa without modification. Even Firefox wants large gtk libraries.

Open Source Pale Moon is unique and not based on Chromium unlike every other popular browser. We don't need an Ungoogled Pale Moon.

Personally I also prefer its settings. They harken back to the days of old Firefox. You can put zoom buttons next to your URL bar. Tabs are easier to navigate than Chromium menus.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@pp4mnklinux :-

The VPN feature seems to work fine - on the handful of occasions I've used it. Most of the time, I've no need to.

Will Opera ever be used as Puppy's default browser? Um; doubtful. Keeping entirely to Puppy's original "mission statement" - that of keeping elderly hardware functional with a really lightweight yet full-featured distro.....NO. It's way too big. This is one of Pale Moon's selling-points.....its relatively small footprint.

There again, the sort of "old" hardware that was around when Puppy was born bears no relation to what many of us are using now. Yes, I know prices are going up globally ATM, but in real terms computing power has become cheaper (if you ignore glitches like the crap with GPUs over the course of the pandemic). Many now have 8 GB, 16 GB.....even 32 GB, in more & more cases. I've just added a half-terabyte of flash memory storage to the "new" Dell Latitude for under £40......a pair of 256 GB SanDisk Ultra 'Fit' USB 3.1 gen 2 'nano-sized' flash drives. They're so tiny I can leave them permanently plugged-in to the two side USB ports - practical on the Dell due to the 'recessed' nature of those ports - and they're plenty fast enough on read-speed to cope with my entire movie collection.....making the Latitude more useful than ever for outside in the summer.

Personally, I like the Chromium 'clones', and only tend to use 'zilla-based stuff as a backup. (With the exception of Thunderbird, that is; the best email client EVER).

Horses for courses; this is why we make so many different browser packages available. You use what you want......what 'works' for you.

Mike. ;)

Return to “Users”