block appimage from fill pupsave with their content

Moderator: Forum moderators

Dingo

block appimage from fill pupsave with their content

Post by Dingo »

Woof Woof

Appimage are very useful, but they are not truely portable, since they create directories on filesystem with less or more content inside. I'm using a cbr comic reaader

https://github.com/binarynonsense/comic ... tag/v2.4.1

that creates a directory in /root/.config/acbr-comic-book-reader

there are not so many files, about 2 MB, but I would want to try to inhibit this appimage from populating pupsave with its directories. Are you aware of any way to achieve this goal?

Burunduk

Re: block appimage from fill pupsave with their content

Post by Burunduk »

Maybe try to create the file:

The program can now be made portable by creating a file named portable.txt in the same folder as its executable. This will make it look for, and save, its configuration files inside that folder, instead of the default behavior of saving them system-wide. [↑]

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

Dingo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:35 pm

Woof Woof

Appimage are very useful, but they are not truely portable, since they create directories on filesystem with less or more content inside. I'm using a cbr comic reaader

https://github.com/binarynonsense/comic ... tag/v2.4.1

that creates a directory in /root/.config/acbr-comic-book-reader

there are not so many files, about 2 MB, but I would want to try to inhibit this appimage from populating pupsave with its directories. Are you aware of any way to achieve this goal?

You can move the file /root/.config/acbr-comic-book-reader to somewhere else outside of the save file, and then just 'copy' it back to the same location as a symlink ie replace the actual file with a symlink
This is a common method of avoiding the problem you describe - with many programs.

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

mow9902 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:58 am

You can move the file /root/.config/acbr-comic-book-reader to somewhere else outside of the save file, and then just 'copy' it back to the same location as a symlink ie replace the actual file with a symlink
This is a common method of avoiding the problem you describe - with many programs.

Also this it's an interesting workaround to put in action after the appimage has created the directory. I guess the advantage is that can work with every appimage.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Dingo wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:29 am
mow9902 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:58 am

Also this it's an interesting workaround to put in action after the appimage has created the directory. I guess the advantage is that can work with every appimage.

The beauty of this method is symlinks can be created in multiple puppies and savefolders, and the profiles and config directories will be the same and "synced." I do this all the time even with installed applications. I store the data and /root/.config folders outside the save on /mnt/home and symlink back into my pupsave.

You can't move the directories once symlinked of course, or you will have broken links.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

Burunduk wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:38 am

Maybe try to create the file:

The program can now be made portable by creating a file named portable.txt in the same folder as its executable. This will make it look for, and save, its configuration files inside that folder, instead of the default behavior of saving them system-wide. [↑]

OMG! Sorry, I should have paid more attention to documentation of this appimage

Return to “AppImages, Snaps and Flatpaks”