youtube-dl served with dmca

666philb

youtube-dl served with dmca

Post by 666philb »

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) has filed a DMCA with Github to have youtube-dl deleted.
https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/mas ... 23-RIAA.md :evil:
Last edited by 666philb on Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
user1111

Re: youtube-dl served with dmca

Post by user1111 »

[rant] Oh! My Google Chrome browser seemingly also permits 'illegal downloading' of copyrighted youtube content, that if I so desired I could copy/store, albeit in violation of the terms.

Perhaps those that do not want to freely share their 'copyrighted' material - shouldn't publish it on freely accessible platforms and simply secure the content behind paywalls (LOL. And for the majority that would also mean preparing to work in a alternative career). Oh! And Youtube isn't actually 'free', just receives its financial rewards via other means than actual currency payment, such as from advertising or from profiling individuals (the 'payment' of 'themselves' by each individual has to be accepted before you can access Google/Youtube ...etc.). So in having 'paid' for access, then perhaps the RIAA should instead be going after Youtube. Here in the UK and I believe also in the US, 'bartering/exchanging' using other 'currencies' other than the official government currency (Pound/Dollar) is in itself illegal. So Youtube is trading in a illegal currency and not appropriately passing on royalty payments!

Perhaps busybox should also issued with a DMCA for its 'cp' applet.

... Yeah! I know, youtube-dl's readme/description seems to have been the stumbling factor so maybe those just need to be removed/reworded.

Targeting git - is just one base, they'll also have to go after BBS's, bit torrent ...etc. to fulfil the RIAA's desires - and that also means globally - a.k.a ain't-goin-to-appen. As such they're not working in the best interests of the RIAA members, but rather hindering them, as the simple answer it would seem would be for Youtube to remove all RIAA members content from being publicly accessible.

But that seems to be the American way nowadays, try for instance as a American to open a bank account it the UK/EU/wherever ... and more often you'll be laughed at and politely declined due to excessive US compliance requirements that are otherwise placed upon the bank. [/rant]
user1111

Post by user1111 »

Main git versions are 404 not found, but China's mirrors are still up ... or I've just downloaded/installed the 15th October 2020 Wayback machines dated copy (that provides the 20th September 2020 version of youtube-dl).

It's fundamentally a (python) script ... so if git are now going to take down open source scripts ... I foresee a massive outflight onto a alternative platform that will support open source.

What with googledrive now blocking initrd.gz files as soon as I upload them !!! Could be the revival for BBS's - but it would be sad for the West to go down that more closed culture path (BBS's are still massively popular in Taiwan). Apparently however some are looking at how git can be more distributed to avoid such attempts to close-down open source.

I've also seem some postings (elsewhere) for one liners (cli commands) to do the business.
one

Post by one »

Palemoon is migrating repositories from github to a self-hosted instance:
https://repo.palemoon.org/

Good bye - github
user1111

Post by user1111 »

Could turn out to be a good thing, as after the push to monetise the internet, the next phase might be to monetise advertisement hits and define non-legal-tender transaction values - which will subject the likes of Google/Yahoo to vastly higher tax bills. If someone is providing a service for the benefit of feeding adverts and/or capturing and selling on personal details/profiles, then a capital value for each such case might be attributed as a price/trade (revenue) exchanged for taxation purposes (even though no actual Pounds/Dollars where exchanged).

I would suggest that value be set relatively high, in reflection of capturing largescale (excessive) levels of personal details/movements actually being a high cost to individuals. What price freedom? (As otherwise monitoring many peoples movements/actions/transactions/profile ... is paramount to just living within a open-prison).

Rather than being bombarded with adverts everywhere, all day long, some of which clearly breach subliminal rulings, if there was also a taxation cost for each advert/capture then the abuse would decline down to more appropriate levels (employed only where it made economic sense).
foxpup

Post by foxpup »

I wonder about some kind of complicity of ms, directly or indirectly.
The RIAA’s fraudulent attack on youtube-dl is not a DMCA §512 infringement/safe-harbour, and the reality is weird
Microsoft is listed on the RIAA’s members page. Neither Google LLC, its Youtube subsidiary, nor parent Alphabet Inc. are. The RIAA are threatening a member for a §1201 violation against a non member. That’s … weird.
Ms was fast to remove youtube-dl sources from github.
One does not want to be in the lion's den. If you know what I mean, Puppy devs. Good move from palemoon.
The last sentence of the article, in the conclusion, is funny ... not:
Further, youtube-dl, digital and information liberties groups, Microsoft, and Google/Youtube should fight the RIAA’s claim.
:?
It will not happen with ms and google of course.

Anyway, this is very sad.
Youtube-dl does not only work on youtube but on lots of other video sharing sites as well.
For the rich world youtube-dl is getting less and less relevant with easy internet access and easy streaming,
but it is not irrelevant for parts of the world where internet access is not so reliable and painless.
This move may be good for those who (can) monitise on artistic rights, maybe,
but it is bad for video as a mean of education, community building etc.
s243a

Post by s243a »

rufwoof wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:08 am

but China's mirrors are still up ... or I've just downloaded/installed the 15th October 2020 Wayback machines dated copy (that provides the 20th September 2020 version of youtube-dl).

What are these china mirrors? Good idea with the Wayback machine.

user1111

Post by user1111 »

Nat Friedman (CEO github) has tweeted ...

To help open source developers fight against unwarranted 1201 takedowns we are establishing a $1M developer defense fund and overhauling our process for 1201 claims.

i.e. youtube-dl on git to be reinstated :thumbup2:

Return to “Off-Topic Area”