Mt. Washington NH

8Geee

Mt. Washington NH

Post by 8Geee »

A rather famous place here in the North-East USA. The weather there, at the summit (6288 feet or 1916 m), is some of the worst on Earth. There's been a deep cold snap here, and looking at the weather station report just before I awoke at 415AM shows the following...

020423 0349EST -47F Wind NW 89-97 mph Freezing Fog, Blwing Snow, and Windy
Wind Chill -108F
BTW: a Mercury thermometer would freeze and be as hard as steel at those factors.

My local news TV station (Ch 3 Hartford, CT) actually showed video of the site and pronounced it a record low wind chill and tied the low temp (1932).

Around here a balmy -5F with 25-35mph wind... about -20F.

8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Mt. Washington NH

Post by rockedge »

Shelton,CT right now hit -4 with wind chill feels like -7

That's near the shoreline and near the Housatonic River

Semme

Post by Semme »

According to local news, Mt. Washington was in the :o "stratosphere" the other day.

Quite amazing our planet.

Don't down-play advice based on post count.

tosim

Post by tosim »

I'm "almost ashamed" to inform you CT people that out here, where I am, expect 81'F today.

Flash

Post by Flash »

From 1934 until 1996, Mt. Washington held the record for the fastest wind gust recorded anywhere on Earth: 231 mph on April 12, 1934. https://www.mountwashington.org/about-u ... -wind.aspx

Chaos coordinator :?
8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

I have a photo of the wood sign indicating that fact.

Actually it still does hold the record for a "straight-line wind". The record breaker is a cyclonic (spiral or tornadic) wind speed lasting 3 seconds. Mt Washington 231mph (6.2km/min) was sustained for 1 minute.

8Geee

wiak

Post by wiak »

What's all this old Fahrenheit stuff. I still understand what 32F and 212F mean, but generally only really know the feel of weather temperatures expressed in C. Maybe we should use Kelvin? My goodness, we'll be back using gallons again; Oh..., US still doing that, except they don't know what a gallon is and use their own version compared to UK (a bit like the MB versus MiB issue) - do you still use inches, feet, and miles too????? Ridiculous really. Next thing you'll be driving on the wrong side of the road.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

wiak wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:54 am

What's all this old Fahrenheit stuff. I still understand what 32F and 212F mean, but generally only really know the feel of weather temperatures expressed in C. Maybe we should use Kelvin? My goodness, we'll be back using gallons again; Oh..., US still doing that, except they don't know what a gallon is and use their own version compared to UK (a bit like the MB versus MiB issue) - do you still use inches, feet, and miles too????? Ridiculous really. Next thing you'll be driving on the wrong side of the road.

Lol, you are starting to sound like a Frenchman I know. The French invented the metric system, you know, And to hear my friend describe it, they will forever be offended we are not like them

wiak

Post by wiak »

williwaw wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:29 am
wiak wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:54 am

Lol, you are starting to sound like a Frenchman I know. The French invented the metric system, you know, And to hear my friend describe it, they will forever be offended we are not like them

My ancestors were Jacobites and escaped to France for many generations. My great grandfather when he came to Scotland to live couldn't understand a word of English, so maybe that is why.

One result of all of that is that my grand father was Catholic, but married a Presbyterian, and so my father had to go to both the Kirk and the Chapel and ended up biggest atheist you could imagine.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

My ancestors have been here since 1642. What with all the Revolution and War of 1812... you'd think the divorce from the English Customary measurements would be complete. But NOOOooo, we gotta drive right and hoist pints. I've had a science background all my adult life (non-ferrous metallurgy, plating sol'n, inks, polymers)... metricize or die. About the only exception for me is Daltons, which are rationally based indicating polymer chain length (Carbon-12 = 12.000000, and H = 1.0069).

8Geee

Return to “Off-Topic Area”