bigpup

Re: Latest Puppy available?

Post by bigpup »

All of these are posted on this forum.

Several versions newer than Fossapup64 9.5

The latest official release is:
S15Pup

F96-CE_1
This one is a newer version of Fossapup64 with a lot of updates and new features.
Really it is more it's own version.

Also several of the other ones with topics in the Mainline Puppy Linux Distros section of the forum.
These may have some newer versions offered.
The version number or release date is a good indicator.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi, @bigpup :

I usually visit the forum, and I know your answer is correct, but, can you tell me why this distros doesn't appear at the puppy homepage in the list of official distributions or they are not linked at puppy-linux-collection (puppy linux collection)?

It is possible, @BarryK doesn't have time to update this pages, but I imagine any moderator can do it.

If no one can update it, I don't mind to help u as much as I can (just in case), but I think the home page must include last updates...

What do you think ??

Have a nice weekend.- CHEERS :arrow:

Tippe

Post by Tippe »

OK, I see.

But the imp puppies aren't on the forum.
At least I didn't find them.

On the smartphone the list is partially visible only. Everything right from the listed iso files is missing.

Bionic Puppy 64bit.
Won't use another one.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Tippe wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:27 pm

OK, I see.

But the imp puppies aren't on the forum.
At least I didn't find them.

On the smartphone the list is partially visible only. Everything right from the listed iso files is missing.

Puppy has many distribution flavours. Ubuntu based is one of them. Puppy developers focus on those versions which still have official support (especially those which have LTS (long term support) and will normally reach official, community version, Puppy status. As far as ubuntu goes, they focus on what is called "Current" releases, these are releases which still have official support. Ubuntu Impish has reached EOL (end of life) status and was never a LTS release anyway. Peebee did produce a 32-bit Impish Puppy though (also a Groovy and Hirsute after Focal) as far as I know, should be somewhere on the forum. Note that all 32-bit Ubuntu Puppy versions after Bionic have some Debian components too, so it's a bit of a mixed bag (not affecting the functionality though, it seems).

peebee

Post by peebee »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Hi, @bigpup :

I usually visit the forum, and I know your answer is correct, but, can you tell me why this distros doesn't appear at the puppy homepage in the list of official distributions or they are not linked at puppy-linux-collection (puppy linux collection)?

It is possible, @BarryK doesn't have time to update this pages, but I imagine any moderator can do it.

If no one can update it, I don't mind to help u as much as I can (just in case), but I think the home page must include last updates...

What do you think ??

Have a nice weekend.- CHEERS :arrow:

@rockedge has sole control of that page I think - I've sent him a PM.........

Better (not perfect but at least up-to-date) lists are at:
https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/in ... l#download
https://puppylinux-woof-ce.github.io/download.html

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

pp4mnklinux wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:07 pm

Yeah, rockedge is the guy probably. I am retired from maintaining Puppy Linux, and that includes maintaining any Puppy documentation. The only place I have moderator access in the forum is the EasyOS section.

Hey, doesn't time fly! I retired from leading the Puppy project in 2013, about 10 years ago.

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

There are Puppy Derivatives which was much newer than vanilla ones such as LxPupSc and QuickPup64 if you want bleeding-edge puppy

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

More options:

1. Vanilla Dpup 9.3.x, newer than Fossapup and stable - viewtopic.php?t=7656
2. Vanilla Dpup 10.0.x pre-release builds, very new and have exciting new features, starting to stabilize towards release - viewtopic.php?p=74690

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

We can fix up the distro collection page on the forum. It is part of an extra customization extension I installed originally to create a memorial page for John Murga so we can keep perspective.

I know well that these types of pages need constant maintenance and this is not ideal BUT all of those with administration permissions should be able to modify this page.

Screenshot(30).jpg
Screenshot(30).jpg (62.99 KiB) Viewed 1810 times

For now, let's collect all of the latest distro offerings we should be listing and have active links for, right here!

Just start listing what needs to be added and I'll fix the html code to make the page up to date with all of the distro's that should be listed here.

Or perhaps best is peebee's suggestion to replace the distro collection page with links to the main puppylinux.com download page

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@rockedge
Our resident archivist (ally) seems to be the perfect candidate to maintain a schedule/list like that (if he wants to of course). I suggest you ask him if he is interested and if so, give him the necessary permission to deal with it.

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Hi @rockedge :

As you mention, the "problem" with this pages is mantein them updated, so as you mention the best option could be linked this page (with the official distributions) to the pages of each project (image included).

It's only a suggestion, and of course, I don't know If I explained correctly my idea, but , in the end, it is only based in the idea that peebee suggested. Use links and update them.

Give it a try :)

rockedge wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:39 pm

We can fix up the distro collection page on the forum. It is part of an extra customization extension I installed originally to create a memorial page for John Murga so we can keep perspective.

I know well that these types of pages need constant maintenance and this is not ideal BUT all of those with administration permissions should be able to modify this page.
Screenshot(30).jpg

For now, let's collect all of the latest distro offerings we should be listing and have active links for, right here!

Just start listing what needs to be added and I'll fix the html code to make the page up to date with all of the distro's that should be listed here.

Or perhaps best is peebee's suggestion to replace the distro collection page with links to the main puppylinux.com download page

houndstooth

Post by houndstooth »

If you want more people to use them, the different puplet flavors should strike audiences like a marketing campaign in plainspeak.

This distribution offers X, Y, Z feature.

Otherwise it reads like an extremely esoteric insiders hobby.

Return to “Beginners Help”