20th anniversary (Inkscape)

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

20th anniversary (Inkscape)

Post by Grey »

Well, another coincidence. This year the 20th anniversary is celebrated not only by our Puppy, but also by such a wonderful program as Inkscape. How do we combine these two events?

Just at this time, a contest is being held for the best picture in SVG format (Vector) for the About window (v1.3). If nothing bothers me, then I'll try. Of course, it's stupid to count on the first place. However, I want to ask the authors to make a separate build of the program for us with the corresponding About window. To combine, so to speak, two events.

I won't think long and use the idea with a Robopup. I just need to finalize it. The main condition is that everything is done in one specific program (Inkscape). The window should be 750 x 625. The theme of the contest is the 20th anniversary. And we have the same thing. That is, you can show the development of Puppy and Inkscape at the same time. Let's say you can show several (3 - 5) dogs in different styles or types or states, which would symbolize gradual development.

In addition, is it possible to somehow "rephrase" famous phrases? For example, from Philip K. Dick. "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" ---> Do Inkscapers Dream of Electric Dogs?
Or from some part of the Terminator. "Old, but not obsolete" ---> Well, something just as pretentious.

Well, let's see. If nothing interferes, of course. And many things can interfere.

By another coincidence, ideas with balloons :) can be perceived as political satire due to certain events. And it was possible to do something like that:

About Screen3.png
About Screen3.png (258.72 KiB) Viewed 803 times
Last edited by bigpup on Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed Puppy from subject. Not to confuse with already posted announcement about Puppy 20th.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Re: 20th anniversary (Inkscape)

Post by Grey »

I do not agree with the one who renamed the topic. Next time I'll just delete my topic (I just want and can).

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Grey wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:46 pm

Just at this time, a contest is being held for the best picture in SVG format (Vector) for the About window (v1.3).

Indeed: https://inkscape.org/community/about-screen-contests/

Your Robopup looks great :thumbup2: . Add a Robotree to give him something to bark at ... or do his business,
Unfortunately I lack any artistic skills. I did my avatar with Inkscape, but that's about it.

Most Puppy users may only know (and dislike) the buggy and largely useless "Inkscape Light" that was included in "classic" Puppy versions. F96-CE now comes with a slightly outdated full version. The newest version 1.2.2 can be downloaded as an AppImage from https://inkscape.org/release/1.2.2/gnulinux/. Works OOTB in F96-CE and presumably in other 64bit Puppies. A really fantastic application!

wiak

Post by wiak »

Inkscape (not the "always was awful" lite version) is probably my second favourite app. Great piece of work, which improves with age.
I'm not so fond of raster graphics package Gimp, powerful and great though it overall is. I suppose I just need to spend more time reading its documentation prior to use (I actually really did once read whole of mtpaint docs and still can't use it - nevertheless, it is hugely useful for scaling and quick crop of images). How old is Gimp?
EDIT: Correction - it should be written GIMP I believe.
EDIT2: I checked. GIMP first public release (v.0.54) in January 1996, so over 27 years ago. And we most all know its association with GTK.
Too many anniversaries, including my own in a few days. Getting old is nothing to celebrate that I can see (looking in the mirror).
I note that the last post of 'Sage' here was on 03 Feb 2021.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

01micko

Post by 01micko »

wiak wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:24 am

I note that the last post of 'Sage' here was on 03 Feb 2021.

As of Christmas gone he is fine. Have had email contact with Sage for many years. Keen cricket fan he is. Inkscape? Not so much!

Not a fan of Inkscape myself (though I see it's benefits), especially the 'lite' version! I prefer coding SVG the hard way, or with Cairo.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Inkscape (not the "always was awful" lite version)

01micko wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:22 pm

Not a fan of Inkscape myself (though I see it's benefits), especially the 'lite' version!

Nevertheless, in some (mostly unexpected) cases, it is needed. It seems that here I was talking about such an application: viewtopic.php?p=15242#p15242
Still, the forum is a very useful thing, because I myself almost forgot how I did everything, but everything remained on the forum :)
There I used PureBasic 5.70. Now I use 6.0 LTS in Fossapup. To be honest, I didn't pay for it and use pirated. These are the circumstances, despite the fact that the programming language is excellent.

is probably my second favourite app.

Interesting. And what does your top three favorites look like?
I have it like this now: 1) Blender 2) Inkscape 3) GIMP Goxel

Return to “Announcements”