Updating Firefox on Slacko64-7

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

LeithR

Updating Firefox on Slacko64-7

Post by LeithR »

I'm in the process of building Slacko64-7 into a Sony VGN-NS30Z laptop. I have got to the point of having to update Firefox from version 69 and have downloaded version 101 for this purpose.
Not having built a new laptop for some years I can't remember where it is necessary to extract the FF files to, I think its /usr or /opt so a little help with that would be great. I would also like to update the browser to facilitate the use of FF.
Thanks in advance for any help.

LeithR

Re: Updating Firefox on Slacko64-7

Post by LeithR »

Hello? Can somebody take pity on this benighted old fart and help with my question please?

d-pupp

Post by d-pupp »

Hi LeithR

Here are my notes..

Manual setup in /opt
Go to Mozilla download the latest version
Copy or move then to /opt/Firefox
Set Firefox folder permissions to executable (chmod 755 Firefox)
Do the same for Firefox
Create a link to the desktop and change the icon

I hope this helps

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

IIRC, current firefox-quantums require newer libraries than Slacko64-7 has built-in. You're better off downloading MikeWalsh's (per fredx181) firefox-portable.tar.gz from here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 559#p37559, extract it and move the extracted firefox folder to /opt. Run it from there by left-clicking the LAUNCH Script. Your OS being Slacko, It may still need some libs. To test, first try starting it by running the LAUNCH script via a terminal. Note any reported problems. If any, file-browse into the /firefox64/firefox folder, Right-Click the firefox binary and select ListDD. Check what show up when you click ListDD's Missing Tab. But don't panic. Make a note of what's missing from your OS and look in the /firefox64/extralibs folder. The LAUNCH code instructs firefox to use any libs found there. So if lib is missing hunt it down (pkgs.org is a good jumping off place) add it to that folder together with any necessary symbolic link. [symbolic links are required when the lib you have is newer than the lib an application expects].

When everything works correctly, you can run the Menu-Add script to create a menu-entry.

But if you want to save yourself a lot of time and effort, start your project with peebee's recently published S15Pup64, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 125#p74125. IIRC, the above suggested firefox-quantum-portable worked OOTB.

LeithR

Post by LeithR »

Thanks both for your suggestions, I'll start with your suggestion mikesir to use beepee's S15Pup64 approach.

LeithR

Post by LeithR »

Many thanks, I set up S15PUP64. Its quite impressive - but the light browser that comes with S15 it seems to allow me to set up a new email but wont insert an addressee from my contacts list. I have logged into both my contacts list and calendar successfully.

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

Use the "Get Web Browser" in the Menu-Internet list to grab one of peebee's SFSes to use with S15Pup64. The Light web browser
is just what it says, a small stripped version for very basic use.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

LeithR

Post by LeithR »

Many thanks Wiz57 I've downloaded the latest Firefox and explored how to set up permissions etc... all good!
Rather than me continually asking what to many are pretty basic questions is there a document that details how to set up S15Pup64? I have wondered this in the past, some good simple documentation would help a lot on many of the puppies.
Are there any technical writers in the house?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@LeithR :-

I believe you'll find that a few of the gang are currently in the middle of a major documentation re-write. It's a huge undertaking, because it's not been addressed for a very, very long time, so the whole thing is out-of-date and everything needs re-wrting from scratch to reflect the way Puppy NOW works.....

It may well be quite a while before it's finally finished. From what I understand, they don't want to release it in dribs & drabs, as & when stuff gets finished; I think they want to wait till the entire thing is finished?

I could be wrong. I frequently AM.... :roll:

Mike. ;)

LeithR

Post by LeithR »

That sounds ominously like support for my daft questions so here goes.

How do you set up a desktop feature complete with an icon to start firefox on S15Pup64, simple steps please, I'm a user not a techy.

yolhurt

Post by yolhurt »

LeithR wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:53 pm

That sounds ominously like support for my daft questions so here goes.

How do you set up a desktop feature complete with an icon to start firefox on S15Pup64, simple steps please, I'm a user not a techy.

You can drag the file that Firefox launches from (for example: /mnt/home/Firefox-portable64/launch) onto the desktop, which creates a link to it. Then right-click this, select "Set Icon" and drag a Firefox icon to where it says "Drop an icon file here". You can find a Firefox icon file by doing a pFind search for "firefox.png" or "firefox.svg".

If you don't know where Firefox launches from but Firefox does already appear in your Puppy menu, go to /usr/share/applications, look for a Firefox.desktop file (or something similarly named) and simply drag it onto the desktop. You can rename it to whatever you like by right-clicking and selecting "Edit Item".

This is what I'd do anyway, someone more knowledgable might have a better method/explanation.

Return to “Beginners Help”