F96-CE_1 with 6.0.12-FP Kernel Stable Release

Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

F96-CE_1 with 6.0.12-FP Kernel Stable Release

Post by rockedge »

F96-CE_1 is ready for release! @radky has completed the final stages of work and polish and the results are outstanding.

The devx and the kernel sources should now match and the firmware fdv SFS is renamed with the correct nomenclature.

F96-CE is outfitted with kernel 6.0.12-FP and is AUFS layered. Built from a base foundation Fossapup64-9.6 generated by woof-CE, F96-CE uses Pkg2 and PPM for package management and has many of the usual Fossapup64 applications and features.

Changelog:
• Add Qualcomm Atheros firmware to fdrv (thanks dimkr)
• Add Bluetooth tutorial to Puppy Help Resources (thanks wizard)
• Add EFI directory and puppy.cer file to the root of the ISO to support the Unetbootin USB installer (thanks wizard)
• Add editable configuration file for pulseaudio (/root/.config/pulse/default.pa) to optionally set or override the default pulseaudio parameters.
• Adjust Bluetooth connectivity (thanks dimkr)
• Adjust Fossa Quickpet to exclude applications not supported by F96-CE (thanks bigpup)
• Adjust play of audio CDs by DeadBeef Music Player (thanks peebee)
• Adjust PPM support of puppy-fossa64-official package repository (thanks peebee)
• Disable Connman automatic updates of Time and Timezone. For users who prefer the original default auto-updates, go to /var/lib/connman/settings and delete the lines pertaining to TimeUpdates and TimezoneUpdates. (thanks thinkpadfreak)
• Update Connman Internet Connection Manger (as generated by the Woof-CE build of fossapup64 on 1 Feb 2023)
• Update 6.0.12 kernel to gcc 9.4.0 (thanks Rockedge)
• Update YASSM Samba Share Mounter to v4.5 (thanks rcrsn51)
• Update nicOS Package Extractor (thanks amethyst)
• Upgrade MPV Multimedia Player with feature and stability enhancements, and add the user-friendly Celluloid GUI (thanks Marv)
• Replace controversial Pale Moon Browser with Firefox-ESR Portable for improved internet access including compatibility with github, YouTube, Netflix, etc. (thanks mikewalsh) Note: For those who prefer a different browser, the Firefox-ESR portable application is self-contained and easily removed.
• The above updates and upgrades (mostly Firefox, MPV, extra firmware, and requisites for Unetbootin) add slightly to the ISO size.

Changelog:
• New Woof-CE build of F96 with multiple infrastructure adjustments (thanks dimkr)
- Improve amdgpu video support in fdrv firmware
- Prioritize SFSs and copy to RAM only while free ramdisk space is >= 64 MB
- Adjust init stack-order of xdrvs (FDRV -> ZDRV -> BDRV -> YDRV -> ADRV)
- Fix IME integration with Chrome browser
- Prevent setup-spot from copying /home/spot to pup_rw
• New build of kernel 6.0.12 with matching gcc for the kernel and devx (compiler friendly)
• Remove browser-bdrv and add portable-Palemoon browser to /opt. After a savefile is created, you may (optionally) move the portable-Palemoon folder to /mnt/home and symlink back to /opt. This arrangement will protect your savefile from the burden of an ever-increasing browser cache. Alternatively, if you prefer a different browser, simply remove the self-contained portable-Palemoon folder and install your preferred browser. (thanks mikewalsh)
• The iso contains no default adrv or bdrv (advanced users may create and customize xdrvs for personal use)
• The optional applications-ydrv remains in the iso, but 'essential' apps are now moved to the main Puppy-SFS. The ydrv contains almost 30 supplemental apps (/var/packages/ydrv) that many users may find useful. However, if the included ydrv is of no value to you, simply rename or delete the ydrv - then reboot.
• Fix CUP-PDF printing
• Adjust compatibility with qemu and qemu_gui
• Update PKG package manager to v2.0.9 and adjust the gpkgdialog GUI for improved user interaction
• Update Openssl to the following securtiy release: openssl 1.1.1f-1ubuntu2.16
• Update Puppy Help resources
• And many additional adjustments to improve the desktop experience

F96-CE Web Page

The download links ->

F96-CE_1.iso
SHA1-MD5_F96-CE_1-iso.txt

devx_fossapup64_9.6.sfs
SHA1-MD5_F96-CE_1-iso.txt

kernel_sources_fossapup64_9.6.sfs
SHA1-D5_kernel_sources_fossapup64_9.6.txt

fr-ke

Re: F96-CE with 6.0.12-FP Kernel Stable Release

Post by fr-ke »

Thank you very much!

pp4mnklinux

Post by pp4mnklinux »

Thanks a lot.-

I'll test it soon.

Have a nice day.

____________ Edited 22/02/23_____________

You made a really good work with this page; https://f96.puppylinux.com/ , it gives puppylinux a new look.

Download link is goog configured, because this way u have access to the lastest versions.- https://rockedge.org/kernels/data/ISO/F96-CE/

Congrats

Last edited by pp4mnklinux on Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peppermint

Post by Peppermint »

It seems that the Puppy download offered

at Distrowatch----- 2022-12-10: Distribution Release: Puppy Linux 22.12-----

is not the same as the one offered on the Forum.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Peppermint S15 and F96-CE are 2 different distro's. S15 is Slackware based and F96 is Ubuntu Focal Fossa based and both are Puppy Linux family operating systems.

This F96-CE distro on this topic thread is not what is presented here -> https://distrowatch.com/11706

peebee

Post by peebee »

Congrats ......... 2 issues detected:

1. audio CD's do not play - deadbeef log attached

2. the fossa64 repo is unavailable from PPM - this seems to be due to the line added to /var/packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT:
PKG_REPOS_ENABLED='Packages-puppy-xenial64-official Packages-puppy-tahr64-official Packages-puppy-noarch-official Packages-ubuntu-focal-main Packages-ubuntu-focal-multiverse Packages-ubuntu-focal-universe '

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (31.47 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Attachments
deadbeef.log
(4.68 KiB) Downloaded 27 times

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

keniv

Post by keniv »

Have done a manual frugal install to hdd partition formatted as ext3. Booting with grub4dos. Boot stanza similar to that which I used with FossaPup and F96_4-radky6-CE. Have so far just spent time doing some setting up.

the fossa64 repo is unavailable from PPM

Can confirm this.
Will play with this more later.

Regards,

Ken.

Marv

Post by Marv »

peebee wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:44 pm

Congrats ......... 2 issues detected:

2. the fossa64 repo is unavailable from PPM - this seems to be due to the line added to /var/packages/PKGS_MANAGEMENT:
PKG_REPOS_ENABLED='Packages-puppy-xenial64-official Packages-puppy-tahr64-official Packages-puppy-noarch-official Packages-ubuntu-focal-main Packages-ubuntu-focal-multiverse Packages-ubuntu-focal-universe '

re #2: I just commented out the last line and added 'Packages-puppy-common64-official' to the preceding line. I prefer to limit the repos I see to roughly the current lineage as quite a lot has changed re libraries and glibc since tahr and xenial. Just my preference.

re #1: Confirmed. I also have a problem with mpv. It starts to play and then halts playing. Doesn't crash, just halts. Ran it with the Celluloid front end, same results. I installed mplayer (one of the ubuntu repos) and gnome-mplayer (puppy-common64-official repo) and it works correctly, both on CDs and on DVDs. Not a lot of dependencies or overhead for that add.
Along those lines, Simple GTK Radio works perfectly.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Sorry I didn't spot this before but I'm new to pulse-audio and figured it was just my ignorance. But there's a problem with pulse-audio when using some web-browsers. NOT firefox, Brave or Google-Chrome. But Iron and Slimjet (Google-Chrome Clones). [Edit: I thought there was also a problem with Waterfox. But I was using cut&paste from a different browsers Url to its. Closing the other browser and reloading the page resolved that].

I picked a short test song on youtube, https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZPLkG6S3LI. Under fossapup64_9.5 which DOES NOT use pulse-audio, it play OOTB on Iron, Slimjet and Waterfox. Under f96-CE --ALL VERSIONS-- no sound is produced.

Currently I'm running fossapup64_9.5 which I booted into to double check that it wasn't a Web-browser problem. I'll boot back into F-96 so I can include some screenshots I think will be helpful which may be helpful.

Comparison-Playback-Setting(1).png
Comparison-Playback-Setting(1).png (61.95 KiB) Viewed 3561 times

Although Playback defaults* to one of the two other choices, to produce sound playback must be set to Built in Audio Analog Stereo. Neither Iron nor Slimjet provide any choice.

The other two settings are LADSPA and C-Media USB something. The latter seems to be the default and never produces sound. Other Web-browsers have specific LADSPA choices, eg Brave on LADSPA, which also doesn't work under Brave (which I'm posting from). You only can see these settings if media is running under the Browser.

Maybe for some detailed audio work Pulsa provides something which Puppy can't offer without it. But for my 2 Cents, it's a PITA, adding nothing and screwing up what once was a simple operating system.

* I just booted back into Brave to get the correct names of the other two and it used the previous correct setting OOTB. Was it something I set accidentally? If so, what did I do? :? :lol:

Marv

Post by Marv »

@rockedge :
Continuing to chase mpv playback. It is ok with DVDs with the default app set to 'mpv --player-operation-mode=pseudo-gui'. CDs do not play with that same default app, playing a bit, then exiting.

Running from terminal, using av://, it works, see first run below. using cdda://, it fails exactly as when run by clicking on a cd. So, it must be just a configuration issue. I've looked at the configuration files in /etc/mpv but don't understand enough to change anything. I may try setting 'the default app for CDs to: mpv --start=00:00:00.0000000 'av://libcdio:/dev/sr0' on a lark. EDIT: That worked! now to find where to set the config to av://

Code: Select all

Audio CD, Works perfectly:

# mpv --start=00:00:00.0000000 'av://libcdio:/dev/sr0'
 (+) Audio --aid=1 (pcm_s16le 2ch 44100Hz)
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz stereo 2ch s16
(Buffering) A: 00:00:15 / 01:01:36 (0%)

Exiting... (Quit)

Audio CD, Fails, plays part of a track then exits,  exactly the same behavior as setting as default and clicking:

# mpv cdda://
[cdda] Switched to track 1
 (+) Audio --aid=1 (pcm_s16le 2ch 44100Hz)
AO: [pulse] 44100Hz stereo 2ch s16
A: 00:00:00 / 00:00:00 (81%) Cache: 0.0s

@mikeslr :
What version of Slimjet are you running? I am running Slimjet version 38.0.0 (my portable with the larger ffmpeg from https://github.com/nwjs-ffmpeg-prebuilt ... t/releases added) in F96-CE and have been watching youtube Bose repair videos OK in it, just clicked on your link and it played fine. My install is not pristine ie. I run with an LXDE/my applications ydrv, no adrv,fdrv, or savefile but I've done no setup wrt sound at all. I also run Brave and un-googled chromium and they both also play youtubes correctly. To tell the truth, I was shocked when the sound did work, rather thas vice-versa.

My pups: LxPupSc64 and Voidpup64 with LXDE ydrv & synaptics touchpad drivers, both using savefiles. Ydrv based Jammypup64 (JWM), Bookworm64, Fossapup23 & FossapupFire (LXDE/PCManFM). No savefiles, no fdrvs there. :thumbup:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@radky
I have repaired the kernel sources by re-compiling the same kernel configuration but with the correct version of gcc compiler so the all kernel modules will match compiler version.

@bigpup can you please download the kernel sources SFS and try again to compile your driver? :geek:
kernel_sources_fossapup64_9.6.sfs

one

Post by one »

Hi @rockedge,

the md5, sha1, sha256, crc32 hashes you provided don't match witch the recent iso - maybe forgot to adjust them?

Thank you, @radky too ...

peace

radky

Post by radky »

peebee wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:44 pm

Hi @peebee

Thanks for testing F96-CE.

Today I booted my 2010 vintage Toshiba laptop with built-in CD player and tested an audio CD with Deadbeef on F96.

TEST 1:

Deadbeef menu -> File -> Add Audio CD

My audio CD was immediately detected and I clicked the Play button. Deadbeef defaulted to LADSPA Plugin Multband EQ on Built-in Audio Analog Stero, and I played multiple selections without difficulty.

TEST 2:

Clicking on the desktop CD drive icon (sr0 for me) shows a popup dialog (generated by /usr/local/pup_event/drive_all) that states the following: An audio CD has been detected. Do you want to play it?

The /usr/local/pup_event/drive_all script detects the audio CD and redirects the request to /usr/local/bin/defaultcdplayer which is configurable by the user. On first setup of F96, the initial defaultcdplayer script contains the following directive: exec deadbeef all.cda.

When called by clicking the desktop CD icon, it seems deadbeef does not understand the generic command-line parameter 'all.cda', however the application does understand a specific call to the CD device such as: deadbeef /dev/sr0/all.cda -- which works OK for me after I add the directive to /usr/local/bin/defaultcdplayer.

I hope this helps.

Attachments
default_applications_chooser.png
default_applications_chooser.png (5.45 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

one wrote:

the md5, sha1, sha256, crc32 hashes you provided don't match witch the recent iso - maybe forgot to adjust them?

It might have occurred that the update switch of the SHA1 and MD5 files was taking place. I just checked the hash values and gtkhash reports them to match the ISO values, Please check again! Thank you for the test report.

keniv

Post by keniv »

radky wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:16 pm

TEST 1:

Deadbeef menu -> File -> Add Audio CD

My audio CD was immediately detected and I clicked the Play button. Deadbeef defaulted to LADSPA Plugin Multband EQ on Built-in Audio Analog Stero, and I played multiple selections without difficulty.

TEST 2:

Clicking on the desktop CD drive icon (sr0 for me) shows a popup dialog (generated by /usr/local/pup_event/drive_all) that states the following: An audio CD has been detected. Do you want to play it?

The /usr/local/pup_event/drive_all script detects the audio CD and redirects the request to /usr/local/bin/defaultcdplayer which is configurable by the user. On first setup of F96, the initial defaultcdplayer script contains the following directive: exec deadbeef all.cda.

When called by clicking the desktop CD icon, it seems deadbeef does not understand the generic command-line parameter 'all.cda', however the application does understand a specific call to the CD device such as: deadbeef /dev/sr0/all.cda -- which works OK for me after I add the directive to /usr/local/bin/defaultcdplayer.

I hope this helps.

After following the above I can confirm that audio CDs now play for me using both methods.

Regards,

Ken.

retiredt00

Post by retiredt00 »

Dear rockedge
In the latest F96-CE.iso the fdrv sfs is named "fdrv-6.0.12-FP.sfs" and thus is not loaded at boot time.
Is this intentional ?
In my case gave no problems but I can imagine that others might have issues

radky

Post by radky »

Marv wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:26 pm

... I also have a problem with mpv. It starts to play and then halts playing. Doesn't crash, just halts

@Marv

Thanks for the report.

The upcoming release of F96-CE will contain an update of mpv which provides stability and enhances playback capacity.

radky

Post by radky »

retiredt00 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:58 pm

Dear rockedge
In the latest F96-CE.iso the fdrv sfs is named "fdrv-6.0.12-FP.sfs" and thus is not loaded at boot time.
Is this intentional ?
In my case gave no problems but I can imagine that others might have issues

@retiredt00

After the current bug reports are addressed, I will generate another (? final) F96-CE iso with all of the updates and fixes.

Thanks

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have renamed the fdrv correctly and repackaged the ISO which now uploaded with a new matching hash value text file.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Question

radky wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:13 pm

... After the current bug reports are addressed, I will generate another (? final) F96-CE iso with all of the updates and fixes.

AND, I saw this:

rockedge wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:53 pm

I have renamed the fdrv correctly and repackaged the ISO which now uploaded with a new matching hash value text file.

Are each of these comments 'one in the same' ISO file?

Curious

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

rockedge wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:16 am

@radky
I have repaired the kernel sources by re-compiling the same kernel configuration but with the correct version of gcc compiler so the all kernel modules will match compiler version.

@bigpup can you please download the kernel sources SFS and try again to compile your driver? :geek:
kernel_sources-6.0.12-FP.sfs

This link is no good.
Get 404 error not found.

I went back to 1st post and tried the devx and kernel sources SFS's posted in it.

When I try to use them, I get error about the kernel sources not matching the kernel being used.

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (25.28 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

I tried to change the kernel sources sfs name in different ways, but never got one that would be accepted.

Tried adding 6.0.12-F96 into the name, several different ways, but none were accepted.
Pup-Sysinfo identifies the kernel as:

▶—— Linux Kernel ——◀

Kernel Build 6.0.12-F96 (x86_64)
Build Date Sat Jan 21 15:59:10 EST 2023
Build GCC 11.2.0
OS Support GNU/Linux
Architecture x86_64
SMP Enabled Yes
PAE Enabled Yes

Command Line pdrv=1361-B01D psubdir=/f96ce pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck

Note:
First time I tried to do the compile using the original devx and kernel sources sfs's.
The kernel sources SFS that was originally in the 1st post was accepted as correct.
However got the issue I posted in this topic:
https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=7909

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@bigpup I went through great lengths to rebuild the kernel. I do not know what is going on but I can tell you the vmlinuz and modules are from the same build as the sources and vise-versa

I see that the version original kernel compile occured in a Slacko and what I compiled was done in a F96

did you start with a fresh download of F96-CE ??? The kernel is completely changed from the original. Download the most recent and use the most recent kernel sources. They will match.

radky

Post by radky »

@bigpup

Rockedge's recompile of the kernel provides updates for three items:

1 - vmlinuz
2 - zdrv_fossapup64_9.6.sfs
3 - kernel_sources_fossapup64_9.6.sfs

To test your ability to compile the nvidia driver you should go to the first post of this thread and download the current versions of:

1 - F96-CE.iso
2 - kernel_sources_fossapup64_9.6.sfs

In PSI, you should see the following:

Linux Kernel:
Kernel Build 6.0.12-FP (x86_64)
Build Date Tue Jan 31 20:21:45 EST 2023
Build GCC 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1
Devx GCC (Ubuntu 9.4.0-1ubuntu1~20.04.1) 9.4.0

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Clarity Yes

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

F96-CE on bare-metal

• ISO file will not boot from Ventoy ... Failure

• ISO file Boots fine to desktop from SG2D ... OK

• Reads ExFAT without issue ... OK

• SAMBA starts & runs perfect ... OK

• Sessions folder found via PUP SAVESPEC in the ISOs folder allowing the Pristine boot session to save at shutdown ... OK

• Saved Sessions founds on reboot ... OK

Add'l Notes

• @ETP's Get-Chrome PET installed and used to add Chrome to this distro

• TLDR installed from PPM

• KVMcheck iadded to system's path and used to check VM ability

• QEMU from PPM was too old and NOT installed. Need a more current version, v7+ preferred for fixes and other benefits.

System's operation is EXTRREMELY fast.

If you want the DEBUGSAVE folder created on the Ventoy failure, I can submit if there's interest.

F96-CE testing on a host running QEMU v7 VM confirms all seen here in bare-metal.

• File exchanges with host via smbclient and via mount command works perfectly. No software of any sort needed to move information between the host system and the VM.

keniv

Post by keniv »

rockedge wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:53 pm

I am confused by this. My fdrv is named identically to that in the new iso and not "fdrv-6.0.12-FP.sfs" and appears to load on boot up (please see attached image). Should I replace the fdrv I've got with that in the "new" iso or is it OK to stick with the version I have?

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
fdrv.png
fdrv.png (25.21 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@keniv You can use the same and not change anything.

I only renamed it because it was mentioned and radky is finishing the final polish with the alphabet drives having the fossapup64 nomenclature so I went ahead and did this as well. In your setup there is no need to change the name as long as it loads. If it didn't we wouldn't be able to be online to post.

It appears you already have the renamed version as it is.

There will be a follow up version that has some more small bug fixes and some finalization on what is named what that @radky is hammering at in the forges. But it will be mostly the same as the F96-CE ISO now available.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@rockedge

@keniv You can use the same and not change anything.

Thanks for that. I see I first posted on it on Jan 1st. I think I first downloaded the iso on that day and so the that version presumably had the correct fdrv name as I didn't rename it.

There will be a follow up version that has some more small bug fixes and some finalization on what is named what that @radky is hammering at in the forges.

Yes when this version comes along I'll move on to it. Thanks again for the help.

Regards,

Ken.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Hello everyone. Checked F96 in Qemu. Three remarks:
1. What a gray and boring design theme :) Just like my nickname.
2. iQPuzzle is not visible in the Fun menu immediately after loading. Appears only after using Fixmenus. I came across this phenomenon in Jammypup, so I noticed it right away.
3. Geany IS NOT version 1.38.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

What a gray and boring design theme :) Just like my nickname.

There was a time I had a 1967 Volkswagen Beetle. Looked just like a red plain '67 Bug. Many found out the car was incredibly fast and were very surprised because it looked so.....plain.....

I had put a Porsche engine and brakes in it.

Drove the local police nuts. :thumbup:

Return to “F96-CE”