How to install Python 3.10?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

davidjackson

How to install Python 3.10?

Post by davidjackson »

Howdy,
Is there a way to install Python-3.10 without building it from the source?

TIA,
David

Jasper

Re: How to install Python 3.10?

Post by Jasper »

You do not state which version of Puppy you are using.

In terminal you can find out which version you are currently using by entering

python3 --version

then you can use the command PIP to upgrade

davidjackson

Post by davidjackson »

Thanks for your suggestions.
I am using bionicpup64-8.0-uefi.
Using ppm I upgraded Python-3.6 and pip2.
When I run: pip install python --upgrade
It sy that it is already installed?

What I want to do is install 3.10 without using the source code.

David

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@davidjackson enter this into terminal

pip install --upgrade --force-reinstall <package>

Replace <package> with python

That should do it.

davidjackson

Post by davidjackson »

Thanks for you suggestion.
When I run:
python -m pip install --upgrade --force-reinstall python

I get the following error?
DEPRECATION: Python 2.7 reached the end of its life on January 1st, 2020. Please upgrade your Python as Python 2.7 is no longer maintained. pip 21.0 will drop support for Python 2.7 in January 2021. More details about Python 2 support in pip can be found at https://pip.pypa.io/en/latest/developme ... -2-support pip 21.0 will remove support for this functionality.
ERROR: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement python (from versions: none)
ERROR: No matching distribution found for python

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

davidjackson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:01 pm

I am curious to know:-
Why you need version 3.10 ?
Why do you not want to use the source code?

The official Ubuntu Bionic version of Python3 is 3.6 as you have already observed. I would expect the Package Manager to offer you this if it is not already included in the Puppy (BionicPup64) itself. Most things requiring Python3 should be OK with 3.6, but if you do need a later version such as 3.10, I would have thought that compiling the source code would be a relatively easy way of doing it.

The pip associated with python3 would be pip3 so you might need to use pip3 on the command line, but I have never tried to use pip3 to install an upgraded version of python3 itself. I would have thought it would need to download a compiled package from a repo somewhere (which may not be available), but I am really not sure about that.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@davidjackson

The latest build is 3.11.1 and is pretty straightforward to compile.

muggins

Post by muggins »

Python3.11.1 is available as an appimage here. https://github.com/niess/python-appimage/releases

Just need to download the relevant one, make it executable, then symlink to /usr/bin/python

Last edited by mikewalsh on Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Small modification to URL : now working...
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Jasper :-

The latest build is 3.11.1 and is pretty straightforward to compile.

Heh. I daresay it is.....but being a dedicated fan of AppImages as I am, and with my compiling skills being as crap as they are, AND with muggins having provided a link to some AppImage builds like he has (cheers, muggins!), I know which option I'd be taking if I wanted the very newest version..! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, though; it's good that we still have members that DO like doing this stuff. More power to you.

(It's also good that we have folks like niess putting ever more AppImage builds like this together...)

Mike. ;)

davidjackson

Post by davidjackson »

OscarTalks wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:15 pm
davidjackson wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:01 pm

I am curious to know:-
Why you need version 3.10 ?
Why do you not want to use the source code?

I use 3.10 on Windows 10.
While ppm has Python-3.6 (which I installed), It doesn't have pip3.
Why not compile from the source? First PL doesn't come with GCC installed. Second, it seems to build a program from the source defeats the purpose of using PL in the first place. I might as well do a full install of Ubuntu.

The official Ubuntu Bionic version of Python3 is 3.6 as you have already observed. I would expect the Package Manager to offer you this if it is not already included in the Puppy (BionicPup64) itself. Most things requiring Python3 should be OK with 3.6, but if you do need a later version such as 3.10, I would have thought that compiling the source code would be a relatively easy way of doing it.

The pip associated with python3 would be pip3 so you might need to use pip3 on the command line, but I have never tried to use pip3 to install an upgraded version of python3 itself. I would have thought it would need to download a compiled package from a repo somewhere (which may not be available), but I am really not sure about that.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

davidjackson wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:49 am

I use 3.10 on Windows 10.
While ppm has Python-3.6 (which I installed), It doesn't have pip3.
Why not compile from the source? First PL doesn't come with GCC installed. Second, it seems to build a program from the source defeats the purpose of using PL in the first place. I might as well do a full install of Ubuntu.

The name which Ubuntu gives for the pip3 package is python3-pip so if you use the Package Manager to search for that name and then install it you should have pip3 available to you. As I said though, I have yet to be convinced that pip3 will give you the upgraded version of python3 that you desire.

With Puppy, if you want to compile from source you simply have to load the devx .sfs package which contains gcc and other needed programs for development. You can unload it again once the job is done. Compiling and installing a program from source is an alternative to installing a program via Package Manager, so I disagree with your assessment that it would be the same as installing a full version of Ubuntu. It is just an alternative way of adding python3 to Puppy, but with the flexibility to have a later version than the one from older Ubuntu repos.

Having said that, unless you are trying to run something which rejects python-3.6 and demands python-3.10 or newer, I would suggest that there is no urgent need to upgrade from 3.6 to 3.10 and that the version which you use in Windows 10 is not really relevant to the version you are using in BionicPup64

davidjackson

Post by davidjackson »

Oscar,
Thanks for you time and advice.
I switched to fossapup64-9.5, which has Python-3.9 and pip3.

Thanks again,
David Jackson

Return to “Beginners Help”