Foxit PDF Reader : current Linux build - v2.4.5.0727 - in 32- and 64-bit 'portable' format

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Foxit PDF Reader : current Linux build - v2.4.5.0727 - in 32- and 64-bit 'portable' format

Post by mikewalsh »

Evening, gang.

The Linux eco-system is awash with PDF readers/viewers/editors, etc.....ain't it? So what makes one any better than the others..?

Before I moved to Linux - and Puppy - I used Foxit Software's PDF editor under XP. Since moving to the 'dark side' - :lol: - I've kept a weather eye on Foxit's Linux build. It's always looked as plain as a pikestaff in comparison with the Windows build, but over time I've come to realise what they've done. They haven't spent a ton of time making it 'pretty', and filling it full of useless 'features'; instead, the development has all gone on under the "hood".

It's not only a viewer, but you can modify comments and edit text, too. Like many modern PDF apps, the almost mandatory 'cloud connectivity' is all present & correct, though I guess I can see the use of this in today's online, ever-connected world. Basically, it "does what it says on the tin".

Good enough..! :)

--------------------------------------------

You can find the Puppy 'portable' build of Foxit PDF Reader at the following link:-

https://mega.nz/folder/PK5AGKSC#XkiY39qUdSf9UC3TqyxRaA

Navigate through and help yourselves to the one you want. There's a 32-bit build, and a 64-bit build. The 64-bit build works in BK's Tahrpup-era Quirky April; the 32-bit build definitely works as far back as Xenialpup 7.5.......possibly further back still. Just haven't checked that far yet. The process involves having to do an initial 'nstall' from a .run file; Nvidia aren't the only ones that use the damn things!

Usual caveats apply:-

• Download

• Unzip

• Place anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save'

• Click to enter

• Click on 'LAUNCH' to fire it up

Scripts give the usual ability to add and/or remove a Menu entry if so desired.

Hope it's useful. Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

Re: Foxit PDF Reader : current Linux build - v2.4.5.0727 - in 32- and 64-bit 'portable' format

Post by geo_c »

I got pretty excited because I used to use Foxit in Lucid or Xenial, way back at one time, and I really liked it. It was fast and lean. But I never got it running again after that.

At any rate I fired it up in jackalpup, and it locked up while I was looking at the menus. And the desktop was locked up tight, so I had to push the power button to get a shutdown screen.

Rebooted, and tried again. this time Foxit locked up on the File Open Browser. But the desktop didn't lock up. I was able to kill it from the taskbar.

Could be an issue with JWM that I think @radky was telling me about in regards to JWMdesk.

I'll try it with straight fossapup and KLV and see how it does.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

d-pupp

Re: Foxit PDF Reader : current Linux build - v2.4.5.0727 - in 32- and 64-bit 'portable' format

Post by d-pupp »

Thanks @bigpup
I have been looking for a portable pdf reader
I too used it back in my Windows days. ;)

Return to “Documents”