Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

williwaw

Re: Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

Post by williwaw »

I booted the NVME drive and waited 3'30", nothing happened so I tried pressing zero followed by Enter. I got this

:https://postimg.cc/5QVjGsSt

As I understand It, from the moment you start the computer until you presses 0 then enter, your screen is still black.?

Tried again, waited 10s and pressed zero followed by Enter, as before and came to the Puppy GUI.

try enter without the zero

try zero without the enter

post your current limine.cfg

Last edited by williwaw on Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
williwaw

Post by williwaw »

saving changes works in fossapup now?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:10 pm

I booted the NVME drive and waited 3'30", nothing happened so I tried pressing zero followed by Enter. I got this

:https://postimg.cc/5QVjGsSt

As I understand It, from the moment you start the computer until you presses 0 then enter, your screen is still black.?

First there is a single line boot menu. I press E to edit and I see this:

After I press F10 boot, the screen goes black and it seems like nothing further happens until I press 0,1 or 2 followed by Enter (even though I can see nothing on the screen). Not sure if pressing Enter is required now, but I had experienced previously after pressing 0, 1 or 2 nothing happened until I pressed Enter.

After a little delay, I see this:

And the GUI comes up after that. On my current boot, the puppy image has returned to pmount on NVME partition2.

Tried again, waited 10s and pressed zero followed by Enter, as before and came to the Puppy GUI.

I will get back on that.

limine.cfg on nvme0n1p1

Code: Select all

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes
INTERFACE_BRANDING=EasyOS Limine Boot Manager

:Puppy Linux fossapup64 (partition nvme0n1p2, path fossapup)
    PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup pmedia=ataflash
    KERNEL_PATH=guid://e9b97f54-0ba4-4ff9-9e06-730900b8f08b/fossapup/vmlinuz
    MODULE_PATH=guid://e9b97f54-0ba4-4ff9-9e06-730900b8f08b/fossapup/initrd.gz
Last edited by Governor on Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:41 pm

saving changes works in fossapup now?

When I choose #2 on boot (screen is black at this point), my settings return, except for the screen settings.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:15 pm

if the 0, 1, 2 choice is the screen I think it is, then choose 0 as explained in step 17. ......

At the point where I choose a boot item, I see a black screen with no text.

have you changed any bios boot settings since you purchased the machine?

Most certainly. The best I can do is post images from the current settings.

Here follows my current BIOS settings.

Boot

Security

Configuration

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

What are the Boot Mode and Boot Priority options in the BIOS? I would change the Boot Priority from UEFI to whatever legacy options available. I haven't used save files for years so can't remember (default is 0 - no save file if I remember correctly): does the option screen to choose a save file stay put until you make a choice and Enter or does the boot process continue after a while even if you have not selected the choice? Are any usb drives plugged in at boot time, if so, remove before boot.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

if the 0, 1, 2 choice is the screen I think it is,

this screen

Is this still part of your boot process? if so, lets see if we can eliminate a step by making some changes in the boot order as described in the third section
Bios boot:

limine cfg looks ok, for now anyway

what happens when you press ENTER instead of E, or just wait 20 seconds without doing anything? the normal behavior would be for the boot to initiate.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
on the boot order screen

put USB HDD first
keep nvme second

this will allow the machine to boot your easy usb right off when it is inserted into a usb port. your bios will not waste time searching for a usb cd. this recommendation assumes you do not usually boot from a cd in a usb cd player
when you are not booting from the easy USB, and it is not inserted, the bios will search first for the nvme, a typical desired behaviior

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
re: ata hdd listing
is there a hdd bay in this machine or maybe a M2 slot? a lot of lenovo laptops have both!!

what is the

model number ?
type number ? (do they still use "type" numbers
serial number?

take a pic of the sticker on the back?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:18 am

if the 0, 1, 2 choice is the screen I think it is,

this screen

No, that screen only appears after I press 0, 1 or 2 followed by Enter on the black screen with no text. I only discovered by accident that I could continue from the black screen by entering 0, 1, or 2.

Is this still part of your boot process? if so, lets see if we can eliminate a step by making some changes in the boot order as described in the third section
Bios boot:

limine cfg looks ok, for now anyway

what happens when you press ENTER instead of E, or just wait 20 seconds without doing anything? the normal behavior would be for the boot to initiate.

I can see the 20 second countdown at the bottom of the screen. When the 20 seconds are up, it goes directly to the black screen with no activity. I can surmise that the OS is waiting for input at this point, because when I enter 0, 1 or 2, and wait a few seconds, the screen comes up which shows the choice that was made (image at top of post), and after a few seconds more it goes on to the GUI.

on the boot order screen

put USB HDD first
keep nvme second

this will allow the machine to boot your easy usb right off when it is inserted into a usb port. your bios will not waste time searching for a usb cd. this recommendation assumes you do not usually boot from a cd in a usb cd player
when you are not booting from the easy USB, and it is not inserted, the bios will search first for the nvme, a typical desired behaviior

I think this will also apply for USB CD drives; if there is no USB CD drive plugged in.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
re: ata hdd listing
is there a hdd bay in this machine or maybe a M2 slot? a lot of lenovo laptops have both!!

So far, I have not opened the machine. I sure hope I don't need to start disassembling the laptop to get puppy to work normally.

what is the

model number ?
type number ? (do they still use "type" numbers
serial number?

take a pic of the sticker on the back?

Bios computer info

Extra setting on BIOS exit screen

Governor

Post by Governor »

amethyst wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:06 am

What are the Boot Mode and Boot Priority options in the BIOS? I would change the Boot Priority from UEFI to whatever legacy options available. I haven't used save files for years so can't remember (default is 0 - no save file if I remember correctly): does the option screen to choose a save file stay put until you make a choice and Enter or does the boot process continue after a while even if you have not selected the choice? Are any usb drives plugged in at boot time, if so, remove before boot.

The boot priority is set to UEFI first with fallback to Legacy, so AFAIK all bases should be covered. The Limine installer included /mnt/nvme0n1p1/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, which as far as I can see, is the same text file as limine.cfg in the root. I just changed the boot to UEFI only and the only difference on this boot is the screen settings were restored, which I am happy about, but it may just be a coincidence.

It gets stuck on the black screen. I can see the 20 second countdown at the bottom of the screen of the original boot menu. When the 20 seconds are up, it goes directly to the black screen with no activity. I can surmise that the OS is waiting for input at this point, because when I enter 0, 1 or 2, and wait a few seconds, the screen comes up which shows the choice that was made

and after a few seconds more it goes on to the GUI.

If I just wait on the black screen and make no input, nothing happens.
I have tried removing USB devices before boot, but it made no difference.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Governor wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:17 pm
amethyst wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:06 am

The boot priority is set to UEFI first with fallback to Legacy, so AFAIK all bases should be covered. The Limine installer included /mnt/nvme0n1p1/EFI/BOOT/BOOTX64.EFI, which as far as I can see, is the same text file as limine.cfg in the root. I just changed the boot to UEFI only and the only difference on this boot is the screen settings were restored, which I am happy about, but it may just be a coincidence.

It gets stuck on the black screen. I can see the 20 second countdown at the bottom of the screen of the original boot menu. When the 20 seconds are up, it goes directly to the black screen with no activity. I can surmise that the OS is waiting for input at this point, because when I enter 0, 1 or 2, and wait a few seconds, the screen comes up which shows the choice that was made

and after a few seconds more it goes on to the GUI.

I have tried removing USB devices before boot, but it made no difference.

From that boot screen you attached, it seems clear you have several different fossapup savefolders previously made, and Puppy needs input to know which one you want to use. You entered 0, which meant not to use any of the save files. From what you say Puppy then booted to its GUI desktop. That's normal operation is it not? What happens if you choose to use one of the save folders? Does it get to desktop after you enter say choice 1? The fact EasyOS boots from usb stick isn't very relevant to getting something to boot from nvme. Presumably fossapup would boot okay from usb stick too?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If there is more than one save that could be used.

Yes, that is the screen in the boot process, where it stops, and you have to select which save to use.

you select one, that save is used, and the boot process continues to the working desktop.

If you select 0 (none), than it boots not using a save, and runs like it did the very first time you booted.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I think that is normal, default behaviour. You must make a choice of which save file to load before it progresses. Change the boot priority to "legacy first" or whatever option there are for legacy first booting (you haven't answered my question here, I asked what the options you can select there apart from uefi first so now I'm guessing) and see if it makes a difference. Check whether legacy only booting without any security settings work. Getting to the screen with the save files options should happen automatically without you having to input anything. Answer the questions we ask of you, whether it is (or you think) it's relative or not. It may just be the solution to your problem. And try all the solutions we are offering, you never know.

Governor

Post by Governor »

amethyst wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:30 pm

I think that is normal, default behaviour. You must make a choice of which save file to load before it progresses. Change the boot priority to "legacy first" or whatever option there are for legacy first booting (you haven't answered my question here, I asked what the options you can select there apart from uefi first so now I'm guessing) and see if it makes a difference. Check whether legacy only booting without any security settings work. Getting to the screen with the save files options should happen automatically without you having to input anything. Answer the questions we ask of you, whether it is (or you think) it's relative or not. It may just be the solution to your problem. And try all the solutions we are offering, you never know.

It may be normal behavior, but certainly only when one can also read the choices on the screen before making them. I am sure it is not normal to look at a black screen and guess what input is needed.

I am in doubt about the instructions. It would be very helpful if someone could take a look at my BIOS settings and see if it can be determined if there are settings that should be changed in my particular BIOS.

Thanks!

Bios computer info

Boot

Security

Configuration

Last edited by Governor on Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Governor wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:47 pm
amethyst wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:30 pm

It may be normal behavior, but certainly only when one can also read the choices on the screen before making them. I am sure it is not normal to look at a black screen and guess what input is needed.

I am in doubt about the instructions. It would be very helpful if you could take a look at my BIOS settings and see if you can determine what the settings should be in my particular BIOS.
Thanks!

Bios computer info

Boot

Security

Configuration
[/quote

Whether in doubt or not, try it to see if it works otherwise trying to give you advice is pointless. Why are you reluctant to at least try the suggestions which others are offering, this makes things very difficult to help you. Solving an issue is very often achieved by way of eliminating other options. If you don't try the suggestions others offer, we don't know if that option can be eliminated. I'm talking about the Boot Priority options. Yours are currently set to UEFI only, what are the other options there?..and try the others as suggested. Otherwise the BIOS settings look okay to me. Are you saying that you can't see the screen showing the save file to choose options now, despite posting an image of a screen where it is visible? Anyways, this is how far I can try to assist you.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:10 pm

:

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Bios Boot Selector

Is this still part of your boot process? YES/NO

it should not need to be, you should be able to press the power button and arrive at the Limine Boot Manager with no intermediate key presses. extra key presses before arriving at the the Limine Boot Manager will bring up different options in the Bios that we want to avoid at this time.

try pressing ENTER when you arrive at the Limine Boot Manager.
Pressing ENTER with your existing install is choosing the only option available. (were you to have more than one puppy installed, you would be making the choice in this menu.)

The expected behavior after pressing ENTER, is for the boot process to proceed until you get to the turquoise text or the "savefolder selection dialog", as seen in the middle of

where upon one would normally press 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc to choose the desired save.

No other equipment is connected to any USB port during this troubleshooting?

BTW, one of your USB ports is USB2 which is suitable for a something like a mouse.
the other is a USB3.2, which is where you would want to plug your EasyOS into when booting that way

Last edited by williwaw on Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williwaw

Post by williwaw »

I am in doubt about the instructions. It would be very helpful if you could take a look at my BIOS settings and see if you can determine what the settings should be in my particular BIOS.
Thanks!

lets go slowly with this making one change at a time with testing in between
first try,

put USB HDD first
keep nvme second

in the bios boot order

for further consideration,
when in the bio boot screen, if you arrow down and such that each entry is shown with white texts, there may be submenus. in order for us to help we would need more pics showing each submenu and the options that may show on on the right hand side of the screen.

Amethyst would need to see any submenus associated with the first two entries before he could advise properly.

disable PXE and IPV4 if you are not booting over a network

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:26 pm

Bios Boot Selector

BIOS-boot-configuration
I don't know if it is possible to get rid of entry #6

it should not need to be, you should be able to press the power button and arrive at the Limine Boot Manager with no intermediate key presses. extra key presses before arriving at the the Limine Boot Manager will bring up different options in the Bios that we want to avoid at this time.

BIOS boot menu

try pressing ENTER when you arrive at the Limine Boot Manager.
Pressing ENTER with your existing install is choosing the only option available. (were you to have more than one puppy installed, you would be making the choice in this menu.)

The expected behavior after pressing ENTER, is for the boot process to proceed until you get to the turquoise text or the "savefolder selection dialog", as seen in the middle of

where upon one would normally press 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 etc to choose the desired save.

After I press Enter at the singe line limine boot menu, I get the black screen, where I must blindly choose a savefolder to use and I always choose #2 followed by Enter so I won't have to re-configure my settings. I see the above screen
only after I have blindly input 0, 1 or 2 . If I choose 0, my saved settings do not return.

No other equipment is connected to any USB port during this troubleshooting?

I have a USB mouse and keyboard both connected to a USB hub which is connected to one of my 3 USB sockets, but no other storage device. Also connected to the USB hub is an ethernet card, which is how I access the internet. I wonder if that is the Realtek PXE B02 D00 in the boot menu.

BTW, one of your USB ports is USB2 which is suitable for a something like a mouse.
the other is a USB3.2, which is where you would want to plug your EasyOS into when booting that way

I don't know how to tell which of my 3 USB sockets is 2 or 3.2.

at any rate, try the above suggestions with

put USB HDD first
keep nvme second

in the bios boot order

OK, I tried your suggested boot order. And I removed the USB hub when booting. It was a little faster to boot. I figured out that the Realtek PXE B02 D00 in the boot menu is the USB ethernet card.
The black screen problem persists.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Bios Boot Selector

does this screen come up automatically? are you pressing a key to bring the Bios Boot Selector up? If so, do not press any keys between power on and enter once you are in the Limine Boot Manager

Did you

disable PXE and IPV4

IPV6 and all other network boot options from the menus if you are not booting over a network? scroll down in menus to see what may not show in your screenshots

BIOS-boot-configuration

there could be a choice to remove items from the boot order list, maybe on the right or in a submenu

OK, I tried your suggested boot order.

except that your screenshot shows the mvme first. the suggestion was to make the usd hdd first and the nvme second

After I press Enter at the singe line limine boot menu, I get the black screen, where I must blindly choose a savefolder to use and I always choose #2 followed by Enter so I won't have to re-configure my settings. I see the above screen
only after I have blindly input 0, 1 or 2 . If I choose 0, my saved settings do not return.

then so be it, at least until you can make any needed further improvements.

I have a USB mouse and keyboard both connected to a USB hub which is connected to one of my 3 USB sockets, but no other storage device.

Ahh, but for troubleshooting purposes you were advised to only have the power cord plugged in during boot

Also connected to the USB hub is an ethernet card, which is how I access the internet.

THIS!!
why not a wireless router and use your onboard wifi?

if you have lost your manual, go to https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/soluti ... cification and enter the info from the bios screenshot

OK, I tried your suggested boot order. And I removed the USB hub when booting. It was a little faster to boot.

this information supersedes what you reported above? all works well enough for now?

I figured out that the Realtek PXE B02 D00 in the boot menu is the USB ethernet card.

Searching for info shows Realtek PXE B02 D00 is a network boot device but you have it plugged into a router or modem for IP service, so it is logical that it might register in the Bios as a boot device. and therefore maybe your particular configuration generates a non-typical bios boot process,

this post has been edited. please review for changes before posting

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:22 pm

Bios Boot Selector

does this screen come up automatically? are you pressing a key to bring the Bios Boot Selector up? If so, do not press any keys between power on and enter once you are in the Limine Boot Manager

Did you

disable PXE and IPV4

IPV6 and all other network boot options from the menus if you are not booting over a network? scroll down in menus to see what may not show in your screenshots

BIOS-boot-configuration

there could be a choice to remove items from the boot order list, maybe on the right or in a submenu

except that your screenshot shows the mvme first. the suggestion was to make the usd hdd first and the nvme second

Here is my current boot order
I think it odd that the USB ethernet is automatically inserted into the boot lineup, since I have set LAN boot to disabled. If I remember correctly from my previous experience with BIOS configuration, when an item was discluded from boot, it was not automatically inserted.

After I press Enter at the singe line limine boot menu, I get the black screen, where I must blindly choose a save folder to use and I always choose #2 followed by Enter so I won't have to re-configure my settings. I see a this screen like this when the #2 option is chosen:

I have a USB mouse and keyboard both connected to a USB hub which is connected to one of my 3 USB sockets, but no other storage device.

Ahh, but for troubleshooting purposes you were advised to only have the power cord plugged in during boot

Also connected to the USB hub is an ethernet card, which is how I access the internet.

THIS!!

I am trying to minimize exposure to EMF and other forms of electomagnetic radiation. My wife was using wifi on a computer in another room and she was sitting directly in the path of the wifi stream with her back facing towards the router. She developed skin problems on her back. When I installed a network cable from the router to her computer and turned the wifi on her computer off, the skin problems cleared up very quickly. Most people ignore this kind of thing or don't take it seriously, but I do. Health risks should be minimized when it is feasible to do so, IMO.

if you have lost your manual, go to https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/soluti ... cification and enter the info from the bios screenshot

Great! I found my laptop there. Now I know the USB next to the hdmi cable is 2.0 and the other two are 3.2. :thumbup2:

OK, I tried your suggested boot order. And I removed the USB hub when booting. It was a little faster to boot.

this information supersedes what you reported above? all works well enough for now?

Yes. Screenshot higher up in this post.

I figured out that the Realtek PXE B02 D00 in the boot menu is the USB ethernet card.

Searching for info shows Realtek PXE B02 D00 is a network boot device but you have it plugged into a router or modem for IP service, so it is logical that it might register in the Bios as a boot device. and therefore maybe your particular configuration generates a non-typical bios boot process,

Yes, I think it is odd that the ethernet is automatically inserted into the boot menu.

I can quickly boot into puppy on the NVME drive. It is an abnormal boot process since I have really only one choice which I must input blindly to a black screen, but at least it is working. It seems unlikely that we can solve this boot problem, so I may just have to forget about the save file or save folder options and stick with this. My basic settings are restored when I boot, even the screen settings. I suppose any other changes, like apps added to the menu will be lost though.

Last edited by Governor on Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:47 am

Yes, I think it is odd that the ethernet is automatically inserted into the boot menu.

I'm thinking that it's because you're ethernet card is USB, and the bios is set to boot from USB.

I can quickly boot into puppy on the NVME drive. It is an abnormal boot process since I have really only one choice which I must input blindly to a black screen, but at least it is working. It seems unlikely that we can solve this boot problem, so I may just have to forget about the save file or save folder options and stick with this. My basic settings are restored when I boot, even the screen settings. I suppose any other changes, like apps added to the menu will be lost though.

This approach is no fun, and I'm wondering, perhaps I missed it, but if you take the USB ethernet card out during boot, do you still come up with a black screen?

If not, you could take the card out on boot, and insert it after puppy is booted.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:31 am

I'm thinking that it's because you're ethernet card is USB, and the bios is set to boot from USB.

Yeah, you are probably right about that, it hadn't occurred to me.

This approach is no fun, and I'm wondering, perhaps I missed it, but if you take the USB ethernet card out during boot, do you still come up with a black screen?

If not, you could take the card out on boot, and insert it after puppy is booted.

I tried booting with nothing plugged into any USB socket and I still got the black screen.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Now that you actually have a save, if you only have a single save file / folder, the boot process will automatically boot using it. You won't have to do the 0,1,2 part. So maybe delete the dummy place holder saves and the second save you have.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Governor

Post by Governor »

TerryH wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:08 pm

Now that you actually have a save, if you only have a single save file / folder, the boot process will automatically boot using it. You won't have to do the 0,1,2 part. So maybe delete the dummy place holder saves and the second save you have.

That's an idea. I can try that, but what about future saves when exiting the OS? Would the "save" dialog box be eliminated, or would future saves overwrite the existing save, or would new saves be created? Or. do I have to choose "No" on every exit?

How about the diskette icon on the desktop that says "save" on it? Can that be used, instead of the save dialog on exit, to append changes to the existing save?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:22 pm

Bios Boot Selector

Did you

disable PXE and IPV4

BIOS-boot-configuration

Here is my current boot order
I think it odd that the USB ethernet is automatically inserted into the boot lineup, since I have set LAN boot to disabled. If I remember correctly from my previous experience with BIOS configuration, when an item was discluded from boot, it was not automatically inserted.

After I press Enter at the singe line limine boot menu, I get the black screen, where I must blindly choose a save folder to use and I always choose #2 followed by Enter so I won't have to re-configure my settings. I see a this screen like this when the #2 option is chosen:

THIS!!

I am trying to minimize exposure to EMF and other forms of electomagnetic radiation and 'dirty' electricity. My wife was using wifi on a computer in another room and she was sitting directly in the path of the wifi stream with her back facing towards the router. She developed skin problems on her back. When I installed a network cable from the router to her computer and turned the wifi on her computer off, the skin problems cleared up very quickly. Most people ignore this kind of thing or don't take it seriously, but I do. Health risks should be minimized when it is feasible to do so, IMO.

Great! I found my laptop there. Now I know the USB next to the hdmi cable is 2.0 and the other two are 3.2. :thumbup2:

Yes. Screenshot higher up in this post.

Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

Governor wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:27 pm

That's an idea. I can try that, but what about future saves when exiting the OS? Would the "save" dialog box be eliminated, or would future saves overwrite the existing save, or would new saves be created? Or. do I have to choose "No" on every exit?

How about the diskette icon on the desktop that says "save" on it? Can that be used, instead of the save dialog on exit, to append changes to the existing save?

@Governor

You do realise that selecting and choosing the '0' option will boot without loading any save/file/folder?
You should only be seeing a 'save' icon on the desktop if you were booting from a USB stick,not from SSD/HDD/NVME drive.Which makes me wonder how you have set this Puppy up.
Any changes or additions you make should automatically be saved at shutdown without giving you a choice to save or not save to your save/file/folder in that case.
I'd seriously recommend that you do keep a backup of your save/file/folder somewhere.You can easily do that from the 'Utility'menu tab then Pupsave Backup.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

fossa works, limine works, and hopefully you can fine tune your Bios settings to get your screen working better at boot time.
Should you wish to add an additional puppy to your nvme in the future, follow steps 12 and 13, at viewtopic.php?p=77084#p77084 (with new naming apropos of your new pup of course)
you would also need to duplicate the stanza in liming.cfg and edit the path in KERNEL_PATH= and MODULE_PATH= to the new install folder name.

You might also try to copy your Easy install from the USB to the NVME, in which case you could disable USB Boot in the bios and see if that makes a difference with your boot time issues. You could of course still use a USB to move files, but just not boot from it until the Bio config change was reverted.

To create an Easy frugal install on the NVME, you would

1. boot into the NVME,

2. insert your Easy USB, then copy /easyos over to the top directory of the nvme, alongside the fossapup dir

3. Copy the stanza from the Easy limine.cfg , appending it to the limine.cfg in the NVME. You would also need to edit the UUID in the duplicated stanza, deleting the USB's UUID and inserting the NVME UUID. (the nvme uuid can be seen in the stanza above).

@Tahrbaby
I am not a fossapup guy so you would know better, but the most recent boot parameters Gov posted was

PROTOCOL=linux

Governor

Post by Governor »

@williwaw

Tahrbaby wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:14 pm
Governor wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:27 pm

@Governor

You do realise that selecting and choosing the '0' option will boot without loading any save/file/folder?
You should only be seeing a 'save' icon on the desktop if you were booting from a USB stick,not from SSD/HDD/NVME drive.Which makes me wonder how you have set this Puppy up.
Any changes or additions you make should automatically be saved at shutdown without giving you a choice to save or not save to your save/file/folder in that case.
I'd seriously recommend that you do keep a backup of your save/file/folder somewhere.You can easily do that from the 'Utility'menu tab then Pupsave Backup.

Yes, I know that choosing #0 on boot does not load any saved configuration.

I tried creating a backup of my save folder to an NTFS partition using the utility mentioned, but got a message it was the wrong type of file system.

So I created a new ex4 partition on the NVME drive and made the backup there.

It says puppy is running in pupmode 13 flash media.

Last edited by Governor on Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:49 pm

fossa works, limine works, and hopefully you can fine tune your Bios settings to get your screen working better at boot time.
Should you wish to add an additional puppy to your nvme in the future, follow steps 12 and 13, at viewtopic.php?p=77084#p77084 (with new naming apropos of your new pup of course)
you would also need to duplicate the stanza in liming.cfg and edit the path in KERNEL_PATH= and MODULE_PATH= to the new install folder name.

You might also try to copy your Easy install from the USB to the NVME, in which case you could disable USB Boot in the bios and see if that makes a difference with your boot time issues. You could of course still use a USB to move files, but just not boot from it until the Bio config change was reverted.

1. boot into the NVME,

2. insert your Easy USB, then copy /easyos over to the top directory of the nvme, alongside the fossapup dir

3. Copy the stanza from the Easy limine.cfg , appending it to the limine.cfg in the NVME. You would also need to edit the UUID in the duplicated stanza, deleting the USB's UUID and inserting the NVME UUID. (the nvme uuid can be seen in the stanza above).

@Tahrbaby
I am not a fossapup guy so you would know better, but the most recent boot parameters Gov posted was

PROTOCOL=linux

If that line should be changed, what should the changes be?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:49 pm

1. boot into the NVME,

I can try the parallel boot with fossapup and EasyOs, but I am out of time today. I will have to do it later.

@Tahrbaby

PROTOCOL=linux

Return to “Beginners Help”