Moderator: Forum moderators

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Mirrorcam and Draincam

Post by rockedge »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:22 pm

.....can't remember who it was, though.

It was me. :thumbup2:

I started using it for Zoneminder and Shinobi network camera / network video recorder systems on Tahr32's and worked really well.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

rockedge wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:15 pm

I started using it for Zoneminder and Shinobi network camera / network video recorder systems on Tahr32's and worked really well.

Haven't heard of Shinobi before so had a google and there seem to be a significant number of comments that it is far superior to zoneminder - do you feel that is a fair assessment of it?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

In my opinion, No it's not. I followed the development closely and in the beginning actually had to convince the lead dev that Shinobi needed a way to create filters to sort though the recorded events because he thought it wasn't needed. The lead dev is not my cup of tea and is difficult to work with. He likes to advertise that Shinobi is better but that is really all a perspective and some are big javascript fans and some prefer PHP, PERL.

Basically Shinobi is a GUI that makes FFMPEG strings.

Of course Shinobi is a good solution for some but Zoneminder is for me the better system.

I was one of the first testers of Shinobi as it was brand new and barely working but I left it behind because working with a twenty something was excruciating.

And worse, the founder of Shinobi insulted Puppy Linux as a toy not worthy of Shinobi. You can imagine how well that went over with me.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rockedge wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:47 pm

In my opinion, No it's not. I followed the development closely and in the beginning actually had to convince the lead dev that Shinobi needed a way to create filters to sort though the recorded events because he thought it wasn't needed. The lead dev is not my cup of tea and is difficult to work with. He likes to advertise that Shinobi is better but that is really all a perspective and some are big javascript fans and some prefer PHP, PERL.

Basically Shinobi is a GUI that makes FFMPEG strings.

Of course Shinobi is a good solution for some but Zoneminder is for me the better system.

I was one of the first testers of Shinobi as it was brand new and barely working but I left it behind because working with a twenty something was excruciating.

And worse, the founder of Shinobi insulted Puppy Linux as a toy not worthy of Shinobi. You can imagine how well that went over with me.

Heh. Oooh, BAD move. Too many folks grossly underestimate just what Puppy is capable of. I've caused more than a few to eat their words in this regard over the years..!

HIS cards are "marked"... :shock: :lol:

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

To be fair, here are some links to posts describing how to install Shinobi on Puppy Linux.
viewtopic.php?t=15
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... fc#p937929

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Added new version to first post.
- Similar to first version but using Mplayer instead of vlc.
- Now permits access to two external cams ("draincam1 and draincam2") as well as accessing the internal webcam as "mirrorcam".

Next hoping to add a version based on Mike's multicam.
(including record functions)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

greengeek wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:29 am

Added new version to first post.
- Similar to first version but using Mplayer instead of vlc.
- Now permits access to two external cams ("draincam1 and draincam2") as well as accessing the internal webcam as "mirrorcam".

Next hoping to add a version based on Mike's multicam.
(including record functions)

I shall watch this with interest, Ian. Keep us posted, please!

As & when, of course. No hurry. Take your time, and get it right. I may start a separate thread for MultiCam; I'm sure this is buried away where many won't see it, so.....I'll probably give it some "stage time" of its own, with references/links back to here as the inspiration. Who knows, some of our coding "big guns" may have some ideas to offer as per refinements'n'stuff.

We'll see.

Mike. ;)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

I had completely forgotten about the "VideoView" thread from 2017.
Might have another look.
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=112299

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

greengeek wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:10 pm

I had completely forgotten about the "VideoView" thread from 2017.
Might have another look.
https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=112299

Mm..! That's a distinct possibility. It, too, will record - again, AVI files, though it doesn't compress them; this is raw video data, hence, file sizes become huge very quickly - and from what I recall, it would run in everything I threw it at. 32-bit Pups natively, 64-bitzers with the 32-bit compat libs SFS loaded.

EDIT:- I just tried recording. 1024x576 resolution.....and a 42-second video recording weighed in at a massive 594 MB! That's nearly a GB for every minute of video, which is frankly ridiculous. As a lightweight viewer, you can't beat it.....but I remember now why I never recorded from it..!! :roll:

Mike. ;)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Just need to post these pets somewhere and will link them from first post.

These versions are set to limit the image size to 320x240.

The lower resolution reduces bandwidth on the usb bus so should allow more cams to be simultaneously connected without "greenscreen" issues or non-display.

They contain "Mirrorcam" accessing /dev/video0, "Draincam1" accessing /dev/video1, and "Draincam2" accessing /dev/video2
(Theoretically more cams could be added if there is adequate overall usb bandwidth and usb controllers)

VLC version
(suitable for Tahr32 ootb)

Mirrorcam320x240_vlc-0.2.pet
(5.62 KiB) Downloaded 41 times

Mplayer version:
(Other systems may already have Mplayer but Tahr32 would need it added from PPM or elsewhere)

Mirrorcam320x240_mplay-0.1.pet
(5.65 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

My apologies - the vlc 320x240 pet in the post above was malformed. Edited with v0.2 attached instead.

Return to “Graphics”