Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

Re: Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:44 pm

gov,

Everything went south again

sorry to hear that.

1. what did you do just before everything went south?
2. what were you expecting to happen after you did it?
3. what actually happened?

Code: Select all

Every time I booted from the the #2 boot menu entry (RAM), I noticed an icon
that popped up which was not on the desktop when I booted from the first menu item.
Since it was only on the RAM desktop, I thought its action would be exclusive to the
RAM menu entry. It was to save RAM to disk, and I thought is was a way to save the
settings when booting from the RAM menu entry. I discovered quickly that this was a
big mistake: it ruined everything and I could no longer boot. I tried booting from my
puppy thumb drive and re-installing puppy to part#4, but that didn't even work. I 
ended up reformatting both drive 3 and 4 and then reinstalling puppy and thereafte
restoring limine.cfg. I just now had a successful boot on my NVME drive where my
settings returned. But the next time I tried it it didn't work. I am now booted from
my puppy thumb drive. I understand how things can go wrong if I do something
wrong, but I don't understand how a successful boot can be followed by a failed
boot when I have changed nothing.  There are many dangerous things in Linux.
(How was I to know how dangerous it is?), and I am not used to being 
surrounded by danger when operating a computer. Linux is like a minefield.
Even the rtcwake command is dangerous.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

https://postlmg.cc/4mqJ22zB
the good news!
this is in fact a savefolder. it was the one limine pointed to that made for your earlier success. for some reason unknown to me, it lacks an icon file inside which
changes the external appearance of the folder in the rox. It had me guessing for a while.
no matter, leave it where it is, it seems to work without the icon just fine, and do not create any other folder or file with the same name anywhere, or make a copy of it anywhere.
we can relocate it, should you wish, along with any needed edits to limine.cfg, later on, once we get things working well.

:!: It seems like Puppy insists on using the wrong savefolder:

__________________________________________________________________________________________

https://postlmg.cc/S21pnqpL

Why are you trying to run Limine installer? it generates copies of limine.cfg
we just now figured out which limine.cfg is the one that is booting the machine, and are in the process of removing conflicting copies.

when you try to boot the laptop, do you see "fossapup RAM" offered as a second choice in the boot menu?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The fossapup64save-test was not created at the top level, but can I move it and change the limine.cfg accordingly?
I booted again successfully from the first entry in the boot menu and my settings including screen settings returned. I was not given any choices during the boot process though.

:!: I am sorry, but I lost the test folder, but I thought I could make a new one.

yes, please move it to the top level right next to the fossapup64save you supplied the screen shot of. hopefully it will appear as a choice when you boot again. do not edit limine.cfg at this time.

Hopefully a puppy user, who uses multiple savefolders, can share a psave=??? kernel line boot parameter that works when there are multiple savefolders in the top directory.

If I can't get my settings saved and get my setup to the point where I can boot reliably, I will have to leave my computer turned on constantly and just never turn it off. Well, at least the puppy symbol has returned in pmount(!) At this point, whatever it takes, even if I have to reformat all my partitions and start over. Now that I know how dangerous Linux is, I will ask before doing ANYTHING at all. It seems nuts, but apparently that is how it is.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

At this point, whatever it takes, even if I have to reformat all my partitions and start over.

@Governor this is actually good idea. you were probably going to have to do this sooner or later. Sooner might be easier and more productive for both of us.

that popped up which was not on the desktop when I booted from the first menu item.
Since it was only on the RAM desktop, I thought its action would be exclusive to the
RAM menu entry. It was to save RAM to disk, and I thought is was a way to save the
settings when booting from the RAM menu entry. I discovered quickly that this was a
big mistake: it ruined everything and I could no longer boot. I tried booting from my
puppy thumb drive and re-installing puppy to part#4, but that didn't even work. I 
ended up reformatting both drive 3 and 4 and then reinstalling puppy and thereafte
restoring limine.cfg. I just now had a successful boot on my NVME drive where my
settings returned. But the next time I tried it it didn't work. I am now booted from

I like this response. It answers the three essential questions that should be addressed whenever troubleshooting online.

should you decide to reformat your disk and reinstall puppy, I advise you to arrange to do your daily work from the easy usb, at least until you get a basic puppy up and running correctly on the nvme. hopefully it can be accomplished with a minimal amount help if you follow this tutorial. when ready to reinstall, bring up this tutorial on your phone or another computer. perhaps even print out this page, as you will need to follow the instructions specifically, even to the spelling of some folder names.

1. boot into the EasyOs USB

2. move everything you want to save off your nvme to your external disk. when you are done, unmount the nvme and any other back up disks from your machine to be safe before using gparted, unplug any backup disks too.

3. open gparted and select the nvme

4. in the top menubar,select Device > create partition table > gpt this will wipe the disk clean

5. create a 2 G fat32 partition, it should become nvme0n1p1

6. create a 20 G ext4 partition nvme0n1p2

7. create a 200 G fat32 partition nvme0n1p3

8. leave the remainder unallocated for now.

9. create the boot and esp flag on the 2 G fat32 partition nvme0n1p1. assign boot labels to the new partitions.

10. close gparted and shutdown EasyOs.

11. reboot the EasyOs USB

12. click on the nvme0n1p2 icon in the lower left of your screen. it should open a rox window. Create the folder fossapup (no numbers, spaces or special characters in the folder name please). Then open the newly created folder and create two additional folders inside, fossapup64save-null and fossapup64save-void Name these folders as specified. the puppy init will be looking for them.

13. find your puppy iso on the EasyOs USB. click on it and copy all of the files in the window that pops up, into fossapup along side fossapup64save-null and fossapup64save-void ...wait a bit for the copy to finish and then wait a bit more. USB's can be slow.

14. run the limine boot loader installer. help can be found at https://bkhome.org/news/202207/limine-i ... on-10.html
the first window should only find one possibility, the install you just made in nvme0n1p2/fossapup . check the box, and generate
the second window should also show only one partition option, click install
the third and forth window. install and OK

15. shutdown EasyOs. remove the EasyOs USB and reboot your laptop into the nvme disk

16. if the new install does not boot, please answer the third essential question, and I will correct this tutorial before proceeding further.

17. if the new install boots, you should see a choice of 0, 1 or 2 . type 0 and hit enter. when the desktop comes up you will see the quick setup dialog. set up your basic settings. time language etc, but postpone changing the monitor settings until later. a couple more dialogs will come up for internet connection, etc. complete them as desired but do little else in this session. shutdown and choose save in the next dialog in order to make your first savefolder. when advancing thru the dialogs, accept the defaults in each window. do not encrypt. when you come to the First Shutdown : Pupsave Name dialog, type the single number 1 into the text field. take the defaults in the remaining dialogs.

18. (a) boot puppy a second time. you should see a choice of 3 savefolders this time..
(b) Choose the number corresponding to fossapup64save-1. when the laptop is finished booting and before doing anything else, click on the nvme0n1p2 icon in the lower left of your screen. it should open a rox window. open the the fossapup folder. you should see fossapup64save-1. Right click on it and select duplicate. change the 1 to a 2, you now have a second savefolder with your initial settings to use as a working savefolder. do nothing more in this session. shutdown.

19. reboot. choose fossapup64save-2 . Desktop changes, screen changes, sound setups, printer setups, app downloads, etc can be made in this session. choose fossapup64save-2 on subsequent boots. fossapup64save-2 is your working savefolder.

20. if something goes south with fossapup64save-2, reboot and choose 0, then delete fossapup64save-2 . shutdown. reboot again following step 18(b) including the shutdown, reboot following the steps in 19.

Any time an app is installed that you do not wish to keep and add to your savefolder, or a session seems to go poorly, simply shutdown and do nothing about the final dialog. Any time you install an app or make a configuration change you wish to keep, be sure to click save at the final dialog when powering off.

Having the two placeholders, ( fossapup64save-void and fossapup64-null), is slightly unorthodox, but will insure you always have a choice of a savefolder or 0 (no savefolder) at every boot.

a general word to the wise:
do not move folders and files from their default locations. the virtual filesystem makes copies, but never actually removes a file or folder from its original location (if it was expanded from a sfs). moving things only makes your savefolder grow faster.

try not to name new folders or files with names that include spaces or special characters, not all special characters are permitted (it's a linux thing. there are different rules for linux as compared to windows or mac)

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:14 pm

At this point, whatever it takes, even if I have to reformat all my partitions and start over.

@Governor this is actually good idea. you were probably going to have to do this sooner or later. Sooner might be easier and more productive for both of us.

I like this response. It answers the three essential questions that should be addressed whenever troubleshooting online.

should you decide to reformat your disk and reinstall puppy, I advise you to arrange to do your daily work from the easy usb, at least until you get a basic puppy up and running correctly on the nvme. hopefully it can be accomplished with a minimal amount help if you follow this tutorial. when ready to reinstall, bring up this tutorial on your phone or another computer. perhaps even print out this page, as you will need to follow the instructions specifically, even to the spelling of some folder names.

1. boot into the EasyOs USB

2. move everything you want to save off your nvme to your external disk. when you are done, unmount the nvme and any other back up disks from your machine to be safe before using gparted, unplug any backup disks too.

3. open gparted and select the nvme

4. in the top menubar,select Device > create partition table > gpt this will wipe the disk clean

5. create a 2 G fat32 partition, it should become nvme0n1p1

6. create a 20 G ext4 partition nvme0n1p2

7. create a 200 G fat32 partition nvme0n1p3

8. leave the remainder unallocated for now.

9. create the boot and esp flag on the 2 G fat32 partition nvme0n1p1. assign boot labels to the new partitions.

10. close gparted and shutdown EasyOs.

11. reboot the EasyOs USB

12. click on the nvme0n1p2 icon in the lower left of your screen. it should open a rox window. Create the folder fossapup (no numbers, spaces or special characters in the folder name please). Then open the newly created folder and create two additional folders inside, fossapup64save-null and fossapup64save-void Name these folders as specified. the puppy init will be looking for them.

13. find your puppy iso on the EasyOs USB. click on it and copy all of the files in the window that pops up, into fossapup along side fossapup64save-null and fossapup64save-void ...wait a bit for the copy to finish and then wait a bit more. USB's can be slow.

14. run the limine boot loader installer. help can be found at https://bkhome.org/news/202207/limine-i ... on-10.html
the first window should only find one possibility, the install you just made in nvme0n1p2/fossapup . check the box, and generate
the second window should also show only one partition option, click install
the third and forth window. install and OK

Ok, I did all of the above. For some reason, the Limine install program did not copy the limine.cfg and limine.sys files to the nvme0n1p1 partition. I tried it three times. So I found the limine.cfg and limine.sys files on the EasyOS USB, copied them over to nvme0n1p1. In the Limine installer there is a VIEW button to see the generated changes to limine.cfg. I used that, copied the content and used it to replace the content in the limine.cfg from the EasyOS, which is now on the nvme0n1p1.
I will try to boot and see what happens.

15. shutdown EasyOs. remove the EasyOs USB and reboot your laptop into the nvme disk

16. if the new install does not boot, please answer the third essential question, and I will correct this tutorial before proceeding further.

The boot to NVME was unsuccessful. At the boot menu I pressed 'E' to open the edit function. I could not see anything wrong, and at the bottom left of the screen it said 'Configuration valid'.

Below is Limine generated config code. It looks a little odd to me, but there was the 'Configuration valid message at the bottom of the boot screen.
[code]QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes
INTERFACE_BRANDING=EasyOS Limine Boot Manager

:Puppy Linux fossapup64 (partition nvme0n1p2, path fossapup)
    PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup pmedia=ataflash
    KERNEL_PATH=guid://e9b97f54-0ba4-4ff9-9e06-730900b8f08b/fossapup/vmlinuz
    MODULE_PATH=guid://e9b97f54-0ba4-4ff9-9e06-730900b8f08b/fossapup/initrd.gz

I end up with a black screen with no activity. My EasyOS thumb is: Easy Dunfell64 4.4 (amd64).
That is as far as I got.

17. if the new install boots, you should see a choice of 0, 1 or 2 . type 0 and hit enter. when the desktop comes up you will see the quick setup dialog. set up your basic settings. time language etc, but postpone changing the monitor settings until later. a couple more dialogs will come up for internet connection, etc. complete them as desired but do little else in this session. shutdown and choose save in the next dialog in order to make your first savefolder. when advancing thru the dialogs, accept the defaults in each window. do not encrypt. when you come to the First Shutdown : Pupsave Name dialog, type the single number 1 into the text field. take the defaults in the remaining dialogs.

18. (a) boot puppy a second time. you should see a choice of 3 savefolders this time..
(b) Choose the number corresponding to fossapup64save-1. when the laptop is finished booting and before doing anything else, click on the nvme0n1p2 icon in the lower left of your screen. it should open a rox window. open the the fossapup folder. you should see fossapup64save-1. Right click on it and select duplicate. change the 1 to a 2, you now have a second savefolder with your initial settings to use as a working savefolder. do nothing more in this session. shutdown.

19. reboot. choose fossapup64save-2 . Desktop changes, screen changes, sound setups, printer setups, app downloads, etc can be made in this session. choose fossapup64save-2 on subsequent boots. fossapup64save-2 is your working savefolder.

20. if something goes south with fossapup64save-2, reboot and choose 0, then delete fossapup64save-2 . shutdown. reboot again following step 18(b) including the shutdown, reboot following the steps in 19.

Any time an app is installed that you do not wish to keep and add to your savefolder, or a session seems to go poorly, simply shutdown and do nothing about the final dialog. Any time you install an app or make a configuration change you wish to keep, be sure to click save at the final dialog when powering off.

Having the two placeholders, ( fossapup64save-void and fossapup64-null), is slightly unorthodox, but will insure you always have a choice of a savefolder or 0 (no savefolder) at every boot.

a general word to the wise:
do not move folders and files from their default locations. the virtual filesystem makes copies, but never actually removes a file or folder from its original location (if it was expanded from a sfs). moving things only makes your savefolder grow faster.

try not to name new folders or files with names that include spaces or special characters, not all special characters are permitted (it's a linux thing. there are different rules for linux as compared to windows or mac)

Last edited by Governor on Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@Governor
thanks for helping me fine tune this tutorial. My knowing your previous steps will help get you up and running sooner.

1. Boot with your EasyUSB, left click on nvme0n1p1 in the lower left of the screen, a rox window should open.
2. left click on the eye icon in the menu bar of the rox window. (ALL) should appear in the title bar
3. delete everything in the partition. there should be an EFI folder, limine,cfg and limine.sys and maybe one or two more

the first window should only find one possibility, the install you just made in nvme0n1p2/fossapup .
take a screenshot of this window click generate

the second window should also show only one partition option, take a screenshot of this window click install

the third window, take a screenshot of this window click install

the fourth window, take a screenshot of this window click ok

open gparted. take a screenshot of the main window showing the nvme

I end up with a black screen with no activity. take a photo of this window

So I found the limine.cfg and limine.sys files on the EasyOS USB, copied them over to nvme0n1p1.
there is nothing in this tutorial that instructs you to copy any files or folder from the easyUSB to the nvme other than

13. find your puppy iso on the EasyOs USB. click on it and copy all of the files in the window that pops up, into fossapup along side fossapup64save-null and fossapup64save-void

I know you are trying to be helpful, by moving stuff around, but lets get a good install going on the nvme first.
perhaps you can buy a USB that can be dedicated to hacking?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:28 pm

@Governor
thanks for helping me fine tune this tutorial. My knowing your previous steps will help get you up and running sooner.

1. Boot with your EasyUSB, left click on nvme0n1p1 in the lower left of the screen, a rox window should open.
2. left click on the eye icon in the menu bar of the rox window. (ALL) should appear in the title bar
3. delete everything in the partition. there should be an EFI folder, limine,cfg and limine.sys and maybe one or two more

Did that.

the first window should only find one possibility, the install you just made in nvme0n1p2/fossapup .

Limine installer #1

the second window should also show only one partition option, take a screenshot of this window click install

Limine installer #2

Limine installer #3

Limine installer #4

Gparted after Limine installer #4

After-Limine-install-no-config-files-on-part1

Don't know how, but the config files are there now

8<-------snip

13. find your puppy iso on the EasyOs USB. click on it and copy all of the files in the window that pops up, into fossapup along side fossapup64save-null and fossapup64save-void

Did that.

I think I can scrounge up a thumb drive.

Limine.cfg

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

fossapup OS files

Last edited by Governor on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

cool, so it boots?

BTW, did you click the checkbox box in
on a the later try? perhaps the tutorial could be better?

I end up with a black screen with no activity.
Seriously? It is just a black screen with no text.

I thought you meant no activity= unresponsive

what do you mean by "hacking"?

experimenting,
puppy is a hobby distro for many.
If we wanted your money, we would not talk to you once you bought the download :)

replying with a quote, then editing the quote can be confusing for me as my browser doesnt render the smilies and quote boxes well. tx
quoting is useful when there are many people in the thread. and the mention feature works nice, especially when one uses email notifications

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:18 pm

cool, so it boots?

on a the later try? perhaps the tutorial could be better?

I followed the instructions on the posted link, although I have a newer version of Limine than the one listed on that page.

I think the partition may have been unmounted when I used the limine installer the first time.
The NVME drive still refuses to boot. In Puppy's pmount, I could choose for a partition to mount on boot. I am not seeing that option in EasyOS and I wonder if that has something to do with NVME not booting.

I end up with a black screen with no activity.
Seriously? It is just a black screen with no text.

I thought you meant no activity= unresponsive

what do you mean by "hacking"?

experimenting,
puppy is a hobby distro for many.
If we wanted your money, we would not talk to you once you bought the download :)

replying with a quote, then editing the quote can be confusing for me as my browser doesnt render the smilies and quote boxes well. tx
quoting is useful when there are many people in the thread. and the mention feature works nice, especially when one uses email notifications

I am trying to figure out how to best interact in this forum, are there any instructions or explanations?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:22 pm

I am trying to figure out how to best interact in this forum, are there any instructions or explanations?

When you choose the 'quote' button a markup code is inserted in your response that looks like this:

[quote=Governor post_id=77233 time=1672575759 user_id=4482]
[/quote]

Everything that is included between the quote and /quote is placed in a quote window. So to make things more readable and clear, you can manually add the quote and /quote entries around questions you are answering, and place your responses outside the two entries. You can also copy the user id quote at the top if you want to specify who you are responding to.

For example this:

[quote=Governor post_id=77233 time=1672575759 user_id=4482] One of Governor's questions[/quote]
My response
[quote]Another one of Governor's comments[/quote]
My second response

Yields this:

One of Governor's questions

My response

Another one of Governor's comments

My second response

You're making good progress following @williwaw one step at a time. You're getting close to having a solid setup. So I encourage you to keep it up!

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

Thanks, I will try and get the hang of it.

geo_c wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:14 pm

When you choose the 'quote' button a markup code is inserted in your response that looks like this:

[quote=Governor post_id=77233 time=1672575759 user_id=4482]
[/quote]

Everything that is included between the quote and /quote is placed in a quote window. So to make things more readable and clear, you can manually add the quote and /quote entries around questions you are answering, and place your responses outside the two entries. You can also copy the user id quote at the top if you want to specify who you are responding to.

For example this:

[quote=Governor post_id=77233 time=1672575759 user_id=4482] One of Governor's questions[/quote]
My response
[quote]Another one of Governor's comments[/quote]
My second response

Yields this:

One of Governor's questions

My response

Another one of Governor's comments

My second response

You're making good progress following @williwaw one step at a time. You're getting close to having a solid setup. So I encourage you to keep it up!

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@Governor

Thanks, I will try and get the hang of it.

Gov, you should see what happens when two or more posters hit the quote button in the upper right to create a reply, it gets indecipherable quickly

cool, so it boots?

on the later try? perhaps my tutorial could be better?

I followed the instructions on the posted link, although I have a newer version of Limine than the one listed on that page.
I think the partition may have been unmounted when I used the limine installer the first time.
The NVME drive still refuses to boot.

The totally dark screen again?
I presume you are doing full shutdowns from the previous boot before trying to boot up the nvme? No choosing reboots in the previous session while troubleshooting please. For testing purposes, please pause a minute or so to let the laptop leds completely go dark.

Are you only using the laptop screen with both the the prior USB boots and subsequent attempted fossa boots? ie, you have no other monitors attached before or during the failed boots?

Is the easy USB and all other external disks removed from the laptop before you try to boot in to the NVME?

When you get the black screen with no activity or text, is there not even a cursor in the upper left of the screen?

Please describe how you are directing your laptop to boot the NVME?

To be honest I am at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed. For instance,....
your gparted screen shot does not look like my gpparted, but I would be amiss to presume you need to do something different because we use different versions......
I am not a fossapup user, so it is hard to know how to answer you inquiry about the differences in Pmount.......

troubleshooting install issues from something that does not happen and with no feedback from the laptop is like stabbing in the dark, It would be painful for both of us to start guessing.......

Do you have the patience to start over with a different method?
One good reason would be to start trying to eliminate a possible hardware issue.

I will start developing a different process with a disk I have on hand and make notes. It is a shorter and quicker method. I can write up a second tutorial in a later post..

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

The general plan presented in the following tutorial is to install Easy to your laptop nvme, then in Step 3, perform a repartitioning operation to accommodate your need for a fat32 partition, before making a frugal install of puppy in Step 4. please review the following proposal.

For Part One of this tutorial, have only your EasyUSB and your power cord plugged into the laptop. Boot into your Easy USB and open your browser to this tutorial.

Step 1

1. After Booting into your Easy USB, the nvme should be unmounted. Start a download of the latest EasyOS from https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64/releases/
Take care to choose a later version than the EasyOs you are booted from on your USB

2. Open the associated md5sumtext in a new tab. Open a rox window to your download folder.

3. when the download finishes, open the new tab with the md5sum.txt then Menu > Utility > GtkHash checksum calculator. find your download in the file: text entry bar and click Hash and verify with the sum in the browser window.

4. open Menu > Setup > Easy DD frontend for dd, click continue, then drag your download from the rox window to the text entry bar in the source section.

5. choose your nnvme in the destination section and click ok, review target drive choice in the next window and click ok again. If all went well, EasyDD should finish with

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (7.52 KiB) Viewed 1620 times

6. Shutdown completely. Wait for the leds on the laptop to extinguish
Remove the USB after the laptop is powered off
Find an alternate way to view this tutorial for Step 2

Step 2

7. FIRST BOOT. Boot into the NVME. Choose your keyboard. Do not choose encryption, The first boot takes a while, it is setting up some stuff. When you get to the desktop, close all the dialogs that pop up by clicking on the X in the upper right of the window. Do not do anything else in this session except Menu > Shutdown > Poweroff. Click SAVE in the final dialog. Wait for the leds on the laptop to extinguish before booting again.

8. SECOND BOOT. make no choices at the new questions, wait 10 seconds until the boot process continues. You should be dropped into the EasyOs X-org Video Wizard. press enter. You should now drop into "If You Can See This" message. Wait until it goes away. You should then drop into the "Report on X test", "finished" Hit enter.

9. When the desktop comes up, proceed directly to Menu > Shutdown > Poweroff. Click SAVE in the final dialog. Your install is pristine. Do not boot into it again before going to]Step 3

Step 3

shrinking the ext4 partition and creating a fat32 partition

Step 4

making a puppy frugal install

Last edited by williwaw on Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BarryK

Post by BarryK »

williwaw sent me a pm, that I was replying to, then stopped an thought might as well post directly here.
I'm on a bit of a break right now, but can chip in some thoughts. This is what I started typing in reply to williwaw:

---------
Why does he want a fat32 partition?
Yes, it will be easy enough to use Gparted to shrink the ext4 partition, then add a fat32 partition.

Each release of EasyOS easy*.img file has unique UUIDs for the fat12 boot-partition and the ext4 working-partition.
Unless it is an update, in which case the UUIDs will remain as before.

But anyway, after using easydd to write the easy*.img file to the nvme drive, just shutdown, remove the usb-stick, then bootup from the nvme drive, and it should work. The steps are explained here:

https://easyos.org/install/how-to-insta ... w-ssd.html

Reading his posts, he doesn't say whether he gets the limine menu -- or if he did, I missed it while reading the posts rather quickly.
He should clarify this; does he get the Limine menu, followed by a black screen?
Or anything on the screen after the menu before the black screen?

If a black screen immediately after the menu, it may be that Limine is not compatible with his computer.

----
I have attached a more recent Limine 'BOOTX64.EFI' file, this has been gzipped to reduce its size. Click on it to unzip, then copy it to /EFI/BOOT in the fat12 boot-partition in the nvme, replacing the original.

See if that fixes the black screen.

Attachments
BOOTX64.EFI.gz
this is gzipped
(83.95 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:36 am

As a sanity check before attempting this method to install EasyOs to your NVME.
1. Boot into your EasyUSB and post a copy of the Limine.cfg as found in sda1 on the EasyUSB

limine.cfg from EasyOS thumb, which boots successfully

QUIET=yes
TIMEOUT=0
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=no

:EasyOS dunfell
    COMMENT=EasyOS Dunfell bootup
    PROTOCOL=linux
    TEXTMODE=yes
    KERNEL_PATH=boot://2/easyos/vmlinuz
    MODULE_PATH=boot://2/easyos/initrd
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=initrd=initrd rw wkg_uuid=dac4bdd4-3c0c-11ed-b16c-287fcfeb4376 wkg_dir=easyos/

2. Helpful for hardware issues would be a report from Menu > System > HardInfo hardware information
click on generate report
uncheck benchmarks, leaving computer and devices checked, click generate.
save the report as .txt
copy and paste into a codeblock

Hardware info

-Computer-
Processor		: 8x AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
Memory		: 10080MB (1788MB used)
Machine Type		: Physical machine
Operating System		: Easy Dunfell64
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Mon Jan  2 18:51:31 2023
-Display-
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN, DRM 3.42.0, 5.15.69, LLVM 13.0.1)
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
-Input Devices-
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 MSFT0001:00 04F3:3140 Mouse
 MSFT0001:00 04F3:3140 Touchpad
 USB OPTICAL MOUSE
 SEMICO USB Keyboard
 SEMICO USB Keyboard Consumer Control
 SEMICO USB Keyboard System Control
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 Power Button
 Video Bus
 PC Speaker
 Ideapad extra buttons
 Integrated Camera: Integrated C
 HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm		: 3=
 HDA Digital PCBeep
 HD-Audio Generic Mic
 HD-Audio Generic Headphone
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
Kingston DataTraveler 3.0
TOSHIBA External USB 3.0

Operating System
----------------

-Version-
Kernel		: Linux 5.15.69 (x86_64)
Version		: #1 SMP Tue Sep 20 21:56:00 AWST 2022
C Library		: Unknown
Distribution		: Easy Dunfell64
-Current Session-
Computer Name		: EASYPC28755
User Name		: root (root)
Home Directory		: /root
Desktop Environment		: Unknown (Window Manager: JWM)
-Misc-
Uptime		: 3 hours, 0 minute
Load Average		: 1.03, 0.70, 0.59

Kernel Modules
--------------

-Loaded Modules-
cpufreq_ondemand		: &apos;cpufreq_ondemand&apos; - A dynamic cpufreq governor for Low Latency Frequency Transition capable processors
xt_pkttype		: Xtables: link layer packet type match
xt_conntrack		: Xtables: connection tracking state match
iptable_mangle		: iptables mangle table
iptable_nat
iptable_filter		: iptables filter table
nf_conntrack_irc		: IRC (DCC) connection tracking helper
nf_nat_ftp		: ftp NAT helper
nf_conntrack_ftp		: ftp connection tracking helper
nf_nat
nf_conntrack
libcrc32c		: CRC32c (Castagnoli) calculations
nf_defrag_ipv6
nf_defrag_ipv4
ip_tables		: IPv4 packet filter
wmi_bmof		: WMI embedded Binary MOF driver
r8153_ecm		: Realtek USB ECM device
amdgpu		: AMD GPU
snd_hda_codec_realtek		: Realtek HD-audio codec
snd_hda_codec_generic		: Generic HD-audio codec parser
kvm_amd
ledtrig_audio		: LED trigger for audio mute control
snd_seq_midi		: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture sequencer MIDI synth.
snd_seq_midi_event		: MIDI byte &lt;-&gt; sequencer event coder
kvm
snd_hda_codec_hdmi		: HDMI HD-audio codec
irqbypass		: IRQ bypass manager utility module
snd_rawmidi		: Midlevel RawMidi code for ALSA.
snd_hda_intel		: Intel HDA driver
snd_intel_dspcfg		: Intel DSP config driver
uvcvideo		: USB Video Class driver
snd_hda_codec		: HDA codec core
gpu_sched		: DRM GPU scheduler
btusb		: Generic Bluetooth USB driver ver 0.8
snd_hda_core		: HD-audio bus
drm_ttm_helper		: DRM gem ttm helpers
snd_seq		: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture sequencer.
ttm		: TTM memory manager subsystem (for DRM device)
btrtl		: Bluetooth support for Realtek devices ver 0.1
snd_hwdep		: Hardware dependent layer
videobuf2_vmalloc		: vmalloc memory handling routines for videobuf2
btbcm		: Bluetooth support for Broadcom devices ver 0.1
videobuf2_memops		: common memory handling routines for videobuf2
drm_kms_helper		: DRM KMS helper
snd_pci_acp5x		: AMD Vangogh ACP PCI driver
videobuf2_v4l2		: Driver helper framework for Video for Linux 2
btintel		: Bluetooth support for Intel devices ver 0.1
videobuf2_common		: Media buffer core framework
snd_rn_pci_acp3x		: AMD ACP Renoir PCI driver
bluetooth		: Bluetooth Core ver 2.22
ideapad_laptop		: IdeaPad ACPI Extras
syscopyarea		: Generic copyarea (sys-to-sys)
videodev		: Video4Linux2 core driver
sparse_keymap		: Generic support for sparse keymaps
sysfillrect		: Generic fill rectangle (sys-to-sys)
sysimgblt		: 1-bit/8-bit to 1-32 bit color expansion (sys-to-sys)
snd_seq_device		: ALSA sequencer device management
pcspkr		: PC Speaker beeper driver
platform_profile
snd_pcm		: Midlevel PCM code for ALSA.
k10temp		: AMD Family 10h+ CPU core temperature monitor
i2c_piix4		: PIIX4 SMBus driver
snd_pci_acp3x		: AMD ACP3x PCI driver
ecdh_generic		: ECDH generic algorithm
ecc
mc		: Device node registration for media drivers
joydev		: Joystick device interfaces
rfkill		: RF switch support
snd_timer		: ALSA timer interface
battery		: ACPI Battery Driver
fb_sys_fops		: Generic file read (fb in system RAM)
cdc_ether		: USB CDC Ethernet devices
usbnet		: USB network driver framework
drm		: DRM shared core routines
video		: ACPI Video Driver
snd		: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture driver for soundcards.
agpgart		: AGP GART driver
i2c_algo_bit		: I2C-Bus bit-banging algorithm
r8152		: Realtek RTL8152/RTL8153 Based USB Ethernet Adapters
hwmon		: hardware monitoring sysfs/class support
soundcore		: Core sound module
mii		: MII hardware support library
wmi		: ACPI-WMI Mapping Driver
ac		: ACPI AC Adapter Driver
acpi_cpufreq		: ACPI Processor P-States Driver
button		: ACPI Button Driver
processor		: ACPI Processor Driver

Boots
-----

-Boots-

Languages
---------

-Available Languages-
en_US		: English locale for the USA
en_US.utf8		: English locale for the USA

Filesystems
-----------

-Mounted File Systems-
devtmpfs	/dev	0.00 % (4.8 GiB of 4.8 GiB)	
/dev/sdb2	/mnt/sdb2	2.85 % (27.7 GiB of 28.5 GiB)	
tmpfs	/mnt/.easy_ro	99.94 % (492.0 KiB of 763.6 MiB)	
/dev/loop0	/mnt/.easy_ro/easy_sfs	100.00 % (0.0 B of 763.1 MiB)	
/dev/zram1	/mnt/.easy_rw	0.07 % (11.9 GiB of 11.9 GiB)	
aufs	/	0.07 % (11.9 GiB of 11.9 GiB)	
shmfs	/dev/shm	0.00 % (2.0 GiB of 2.0 GiB)	
/dev/sdb2	/files	2.85 % (27.7 GiB of 28.5 GiB)	
/dev/nvme0n1p2	/mnt/nvme0n1p2	14.65 % (16.7 GiB of 19.5 GiB)	
/dev/sdc1	/mnt/sdc1	74.33 % (302.7 GiB of 1179.4 GiB)	
/dev/sdc2	/mnt/sdc2	85.32 % (100.4 GiB of 683.6 GiB)	
/dev/sdb1	/mnt/sdb1	8.49 % (6.4 MiB of 7.0 MiB)	
/dev/nvme0n1p1	/mnt/nvme0n1p1	0.02 % (2.0 GiB of 2.0 GiB)	
/dev/nvme0n1p3	/mnt/nvme0n1p3	0.00 % (200.0 GiB of 200.0 GiB)	

Display
-------

-Display-
Resolution		: 1920x1080 pixels
Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
Version		: 1.21.1.3
-Monitors-
Monitor 0		: 1920x1080 pixels
Monitor 1		: 1920x1080 pixels
-Extensions-
BIG-REQUESTS
Composite
DAMAGE
DOUBLE-BUFFER
DPMS
DRI2
DRI3
GLX
Generic Event Extension
MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
MIT-SHM
Present
RANDR
RECORD
RENDER
SHAPE
SYNC
X-Resource
XC-MISC
XFIXES
XFree86-DGA
XFree86-VidModeExtension
XINERAMA
XInputExtension
XKEYBOARD
XTEST
XVideo
-OpenGL-
Vendor		: AMD
Renderer		: AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (RAVEN, DRM 3.42.0, 5.15.69, LLVM 13.0.1)
Version		: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 21.3.7
Direct Rendering		: Y_es

Environment Variables
---------------------

-Environment Variables-
SHELL		: /bin/bash
DEFAULTWORDPROCESSOR		: swriter
XDG_CONFIG_DIRS		: /etc/xdg
DEFAULTPAINT		: gimp
HISTCONTROL		: ignoredups
PULSE_RUNTIME_PATH		: /run/pulse
PKG_CONFIG_PATH		: /usr/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig
HOSTNAME		: EASYPC28755
HISTSIZE		: 1000
PREFIX		: /usr
VDPAU_DRIVER		: va_gl
XDG_DATA_HOME		: /root/.local/share
XDG_CONFIG_HOME		: /root/.config
NO_AT_BRIDGE		: 1
EDITOR		: mp
PWD		: /root
LANGORG		: en_US.UTF-8
LOGNAME		: root
QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME		: gtk2
MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME		: /usr/lib/seamonkey
DEFAULTSPREADSHEET		: exec
DEFAULTDRAW		: inkscape
DEFAULTIMAGEVIEWER		: gpicview
WINDOWPATH		: 4
GTK2_RC_FILES		: /root/.gtkrc-2.0
HOME		: /root
LANG		: en_US.UTF-8
EC_ENV_ZEUS		: false
XFINANSDIR		: /root/.xfinans
LS_COLORS		: bd=33:cd=33
RGBDEF		: /usr/share/X11/rgb.txt
DEFAULTTEXTEDITOR		: geany
XDG_CACHE_HOME		: /root/.cache
DEFAULTMEDIAPLAYER		: celluloidshell
TERM		: xterm
G_FILENAME_ENCODING		: @locale
USER		: root
LIBASOUND_THREAD_SAFE		: 0
GDK_USE_XFT		: 1
DISPLAY		: :0
SHLVL		: 2
INPUTRC		: /etc/inputrc
XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS		: 1
DEFAULTBROWSER		: firefox
OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP		: gnome
DEFAULTIMAGEEDITOR		: gimp
MOZ_PLUGIN_PATH		: /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:/usr/lib/seamonkey/plugins
QT5DIR		: /usr
MM_RUNASROOT		: 1
QT_XFT		: true
XDG_DATA_DIRS		: /usr/share:/usr/local/share
PATH		: /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/games
DEFAULTHTMLEDITOR		: mozedit
HISTFILESIZE		: 2000
SHFM_OPENER		: /usr/local/bin/xdg-open-nox
OUTPUT_CHARSET		: UTF-8
MOZ_DISABLE_PANGO		: 1
TEXTDOMAIN		: xwin
_		: /usr/bin/hardinfo

Development
-----------

-Scripting Languages-
CPython		: Not found
Perl		: 5.30.1
PHP		: Not found
Ruby		: Not found
Bash		: 5.0.18(1)-release
-Compilers-
C (GCC)		: Not found
C (Clang)		: Not found
D (dmd)		: Not found
Java		: Not found
CSharp (Mono, old)		: Not found
CSharp (Mono)		: Not found
Vala		: Not found
Haskell (GHC)		: Not found
FreePascal		: Not found
-Tools-
make		: Not found
GDB		: Not found
strace		: Not found
valgrind		: Not found
QMake		: Not found

Users
-----

-Users-
root		: root
daemon
nobody
spot		: Linux User
bin		: bin
messagebus		: Linux User
ftp		: Linux User
haldaemon		: Hardware abstraction layer
uucp		: uucp
sshd		: sshd
webuser		: Linux User
fido		: Linux User
rover
zeus		: zeus
pulse		: Linux User
seamonkey		: Linux User
firefox		: Linux User

Groups
------

-Groups-
root		: 0
daemon		: 1
tty		: 2
ppp		: 200
users		: 500
nobody		: 65534
guest		: 501
spot		: 502
bin		: 2
messagebus		: 503
ftp		: 1000
dip		: 30
uucp		: 10
lpadmin		: 112
netdev		: 113
haldaemon		: 119
sshd		: 33
webgroup		: 504
dialout		: 103
kmem		: 104
floppy		: 106
tape		: 108
plugdev		: 110
shutdown		: 114
crontab		: 115
netshare		: 1001
wheel		: 111
zeus		: 109
pulse-access		: 117
rtkit		: 121
seamonkey		: 1003
firefox		: 1002
disk		: 100
audio		: 101
lp		: 102
bluetooth		: 120
scanner		: 70
cdrom		: 107
fscryptgrp		: 118
pulse		: 116
video		: 105
filesgrp		: 122

Devices

Processor
---------

-Processors-
AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx		: 2100.00MHz
AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx		: 1400.00MHz
AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx		: 1607.48MHz

Memory
------

-Memory-
Total Memory		: 10080988 kB
Free Memory		: 5750716 kB
MemAvailable		: 7530668 kB
Buffers		: 100428 kB
Cached		: 2542596 kB
Cached Swap		: 0 kB
Active		: 623476 kB
Inactive		: 3400900 kB
Active(anon)		: 183760 kB
Inactive(anon)		: 1995932 kB
Active(file)		: 439716 kB
Inactive(file)		: 1404968 kB
Unevictable		: 0 kB
Mlocked		: 0 kB
Virtual Memory		: 0 kB
Free Virtual Memory		: 0 kB
Dirty		: 264 kB
Writeback		: 0 kB
AnonPages		: 1381460 kB
Mapped		: 374512 kB
Shmem		: 798340 kB
KReclaimable		: 56684 kB
Slab		: 102420 kB
SReclaimable		: 56684 kB
SUnreclaim		: 45736 kB
KernelStack		: 12944 kB
PageTables		: 17540 kB
NFS_Unstable		: 0 kB
Bounce		: 0 kB
WritebackTmp		: 0 kB
CommitLimit		: 5040492 kB
Committed_AS		: 4801132 kB
VmallocTotal		: 34359738367 kB
VmallocUsed		: 77064 kB
VmallocChunk		: 0 kB
Percpu		: 7040 kB
DirectMap4k		: 178548 kB
DirectMap2M		: 8083456 kB
DirectMap1G		: 2097152 kB

PCI Devices
-----------

-PCI Devices-
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Root Complex
IOMMU		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 IOMMU
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
PCI bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0] (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
PCI bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus A (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
SMBus		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)
ISA bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 0
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 1
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 2
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 3
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 4
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 5
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 6
Host bridge		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 7
Non-Volatile memory controller		: Union Memory (Shenzhen) Device 6203 (rev 03) (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
VGA compatible controller		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Audio device		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio Controller
Encryption controller		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor
USB controller		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1 (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
USB controller		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1 (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
Multimedia controller		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor
Audio device		: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller

USB Devices
-----------

-USB Devices-
Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Bluetooth Radio
Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd USB2.0 Hub
Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Kingston Technology DataTraveler 100 G3/G4/SE9 G2
Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
China Resource Semico Co., Ltd

Toshiba America Inc USB2.0 Hub
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8153 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter
Genesys Logic, Inc. Hub
Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Printers
--------

-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>

Battery
-------

-No batteries-
No batteries found on this system

Sensors
-------

-Temperature-
temp1 (k10temp)		: 51.50°C
temp1 (amdgpu)		: 51.00°C

Input Devices
-------------

-Input Devices-
 AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
 MSFT0001:00 04F3:3140 Mouse
 MSFT0001:00 04F3:3140 Touchpad
 USB OPTICAL MOUSE
 SEMICO USB Keyboard
 SEMICO USB Keyboard Consumer Control
 SEMICO USB Keyboard System Control
 Lid Switch
 Power Button
 Power Button
 Video Bus
 PC Speaker
 Ideapad extra buttons
 Integrated Camera: Integrated C
 HD-Audio Generic HDMI/DP,pcm		: 3=
 HDA Digital PCBeep
 HD-Audio Generic Mic
 HD-Audio Generic Headphone

Storage
-------

-SCSI Disks-
Kingston DataTraveler 3.0
TOSHIBA External USB 3.0

DMI
---

-BIOS-
Date		: 04/28/2022
Vendor		: LENOVO
Version		: E8CN34WW
-Board-
Name		: LNVNB161216
Vendor		: LENOVO

Memory SPD
----------

-SPD-
Please load the eeprom module to obtain information about memory SPD

Resources
---------

-I/O Ports-
<tt>0000-0cf7 </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:00
<tt>  0000-001f </tt>		: dma1
<tt>  0020-0021 </tt>		: pic1
<tt>  0040-0043 </tt>		: timer0
<tt>  0050-0053 </tt>		: timer1
<tt>  0060-0060 </tt>		: keyboard
<tt>  0061-0061 </tt>		: PNP0800:00
<tt>  0062-0062 </tt>		: PNP0C09:00
<tt>    0062-0062 </tt>		: EC data
<tt>  0064-0064 </tt>		: keyboard
<tt>  0066-0066 </tt>		: PNP0C09:00
<tt>    0066-0066 </tt>		: EC cmd
<tt>  0070-0071 </tt>		: rtc0
<tt>  0080-008f </tt>		: dma page reg
<tt>  00a0-00a1 </tt>		: pic2
<tt>  00c0-00df </tt>		: dma2
<tt>  00f0-00ff </tt>		: fpu
<tt>    00f0-00fe </tt>		: PNP0C04:00
<tt>  0400-0427 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>    0400-0403 </tt>		: ACPI PM1a_EVT_BLK
<tt>    0404-0405 </tt>		: ACPI PM1a_CNT_BLK
<tt>    0408-040b </tt>		: ACPI PM_TMR
<tt>    0420-0427 </tt>		: ACPI GPE0_BLK
<tt>  0430-0430 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0440-0447 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  04d0-04d1 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0530-0537 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0b00-0b1f </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>    0b00-0b08 </tt>		: piix4_smbus
<tt>  0b20-0b3f </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>    0b20-0b28 </tt>		: piix4_smbus
<tt>  0c00-0c01 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0c14-0c14 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0c50-0c52 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0cd0-0cd1 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0cd2-0cd3 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0cd4-0cd5 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0cd6-0cd7 </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  0cd8-0cdf </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>0cf8-0cff </tt>		: PCI conf1
<tt>0d00-ffff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:00
<tt>  0f50-0f51 </tt>		: pnp 00:00
<tt>  1000-1fff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:02
<tt>    1000-10ff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
<tt>  8100-81ff </tt>		: pnp 00:03
<tt>  8200-82ff </tt>		: pnp 00:03
-Memory-
<tt>00000000-00000fff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>00001000-00001fff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>00002000-0000bfff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>0000c000-0003efff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>0003f000-00086fff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>00087000-0008afff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>0008b000-0009ffff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>000a0000-000bffff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:00
<tt>000c0000-000cd3ff </tt>		: Video ROM
<tt>000e0000-0010ffff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>  000f0000-000fffff </tt>		: System ROM
<tt>00110000-09bfffff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>  01000000-01a0064f </tt>		: Kernel code
<tt>  01c00000-01eecfff </tt>		: Kernel rodata
<tt>  02000000-0212653f </tt>		: Kernel data
<tt>  02477000-025fffff </tt>		: Kernel bss
<tt>09c00000-09cd0fff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>09cd1000-09efffff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>09f00000-09f0afff </tt>		: ACPI Non-volatile Storage
<tt>09f0b000-b01a0fff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>b01a1000-b01d7fff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>b01d8000-b857dfff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>b857e000-bc77dfff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>bc77e000-be77dfff </tt>		: ACPI Non-volatile Storage
<tt>be77e000-be7fdfff </tt>		: ACPI Tables
<tt>be7fe000-bf7fffff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>bf800000-bfffffff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>c0000000-f7ffffff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:00
<tt>  c0000000-d01fffff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:02
<tt>    c0000000-cfffffff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
<tt>    d0000000-d01fffff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
<tt>  d0200000-d05fffff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:02
<tt>    d0200000-d02fffff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1 (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
<tt>      d0200000-d02fffff </tt>		: xhci-hcd
<tt>    d0300000-d03fffff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1 (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
<tt>      d0300000-d03fffff </tt>		: xhci-hcd
<tt>    d0400000-d04fffff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor
<tt>    d0500000-d057ffff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c2) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
<tt>    d0580000-d05bffff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor
<tt>      d0580000-d05bffff </tt>		: AMD ACP3x audio
<tt>    d05c0000-d05c7fff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller
<tt>      d05c0000-d05c7fff </tt>		: ICH HD audio
<tt>    d05c8000-d05cbfff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio Controller
<tt>      d05c8000-d05cbfff </tt>		: ICH HD audio
<tt>    d05cc000-d05cdfff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor
<tt>  d0600000-d06fffff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:01
<tt>    d0600000-d0603fff </tt>		: <b><small>PCI</small></b>  Union Memory (Shenzhen) Device 6203 (rev 03) (prog-if 02 [NVM Express])
<tt>      d0600000-d0603fff </tt>		: nvme
<tt>f8000000-fbffffff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>  f8000000-fbffffff </tt>		: pnp 00:00
<tt>fc000000-fdffffff </tt>		: PCI Bus 0000:00
<tt>  fd100000-fd17ffff </tt>		: amd_iommu
<tt>  fd200000-fd2fffff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>fec00000-fec003ff </tt>		: IOAPIC 0
<tt>fec01000-fec013ff </tt>		: IOAPIC 1
<tt>fec10000-fec1001f </tt>		: pnp 00:04
<tt>fed00000-fed003ff </tt>		: HPET 2
<tt>  fed00000-fed003ff </tt>		: pnp 00:04
<tt>fed61000-fed613ff </tt>		: pnp 00:04
<tt>fed80000-fed80fff </tt>		: Reserved
<tt>  fed80000-fed80fff </tt>		: pnp 00:04
<tt>fed81500-fed818ff </tt>		: AMDI0030:00
<tt>fedc5000-fedc5fff </tt>		: AMDI0010:00
<tt>  fedc5000-fedc5fff </tt>		: AMDI0010:00 AMDI0010:00
<tt>fee00000-fee00fff </tt>		: Local APIC
<tt>  fee00000-fee00fff </tt>		: pnp 00:00
<tt>ff800000-ffffffff </tt>		: pnp 00:04
<tt>100000000-2beffffff </tt>		: System RAM
<tt>2bf000000-2bfffffff </tt>		: RAM buffer
-DMA-
<tt> 4</tt>		: cascade

So far, so good?

The general plan presented in the following tutorial is to install Easy to your nvme, then in Step 3, perform a repartitioning operation to accommodate your need for a fat32 partition, before making a frugal install of puppy in Step 4. please review the following proposal.

For Part One of this tutorial, have only your EasyUSB and your power cord plugged into the laptop. Boot into your Easy USB and open your browser to this tutorial.

Step 1

1. After Booting into your Easy USB, the nvme should be unmounted. click https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64 ... 022/4.5.3/ and start the download. open a rox window to your download folder.

2. copy and paste this link into a new tab https://distro.ibiblio.org/easyos/amd64 ... md5sum.txt

3. when the download finishes, open the new tab with the md5sum.txt then Menu > Utility > GtkHash checksum calculator. find your download in the file: text entry bar and click Hash and verify with the sum in the browser window.

4. open Menu > Setup > Easy DD frontend for dd, click continue, then drag your download from the rox window to the text entry bar in the source section.

5. choose your nnvme in the destination section and click ok, review target drive choice in the next window and click ok again. If all went well, EasyDD should finish with
Screenshot.png

6. Shutdown completely. Wait for the leds on the laptop to extinguish Remove the USB after the laptop is powered off Find an alternate way to view this tutorial for Step 2

Step 2

7. FIRST BOOT. Boot into the NVME. Choose your keyboard. Do not choose encryption, The first boot takes a while, it is setting up some stuff. When you get to the desktop, close all the dialogs that pop up by clicking on the X in the upper right of the window. Do not do anything else in this session except Menu > Shutdown > Poweroff. Click SAVE in the final dialog. Wait for the leds on the laptop to extinguish before booting again.

8. SECOND BOOT. make no choices at the new questions, wait 10 seconds until the boot process continues. You should be dropped into the EasyOs X-org Video Wizard. press enter. You should now drop into "If You Can See This" message. Wait until it goes away. You should then drop into the "Report on X test", "finished" Hit enter.

9. When the desktop comes up, proceed directly to Menu > Shutdown > Poweroff. Click SAVE in the final dialog. Your install is pristine. Do not boot into it again before going to]Step 3

Step 3

shrinking the ext4 partition and creating a fat32 partition

Step 4

making a puppy frugal install

Governor

Post by Governor »

@williwaw

BarryK wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 am

williwaw sent me a pm, that I was replying to, then stopped an thought might as well post directly here.
I'm on a bit of a break right now, but can chip in some thoughts. This is what I started typing in reply to williwaw:

---------
Yes, it will be easy enough to use Gparted to shrink the ext4 partition, then add a fat32 partition.

I don't necessarily want a fat32 partition on my NVME drive. I had experienced some file corruption copying between ext4 and fat32 and I was just guessing that keeping files on a fat32 partition might eliminate this kind of corruption. I need to be able to have files on a USB drive so I can use the drive and edit the same files on both a Linux machine and a Windows 10 machine.

Each release of EasyOS easy*.img file has unique UUIDs for the fat12 boot-partition and the ext4 working-partition.

But anyway, after using easydd to write the easy*.img file to the nvme drive, just shutdown, remove the usb-stick, then bootup from the nvme drive, and it should work. The steps are explained here:

Reading his posts, he doesn't say whether he gets the limine menu -- or if he did, I missed it while reading the posts rather quickly.
He should clarify this; does he get the Limine menu, followed by a black screen?

If a black screen immediately after the menu, it may be that Limine is not compatible with his computer.

I will have to get back to this tomorrow.

----
I have attached a more recent Limine 'BOOTX64.EFI' file, this has been gzipped to reduce its size. Click on it to unzip, then copy it to /EFI/BOOT in the fat12 boot-partition in the nvme, replacing the original.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@Governor

Governor wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:45 pm

I don't necessarily want a fat32 partition on my NVME drive. I had experienced some file corruption copying between ext4 and fat32 and I was just guessing that keeping files on a fat32 partition might eliminate this kind of corruption. I need to be able to have files on a USB drive so I can use the drive and edit the same files on both a Linux machine and a Windows 10 machine.

Sounds like good opportunity to try EasyOS "as is" for a while. On your third boot, go directly to Menu > Filesystem > Easy Version Control and click snapshot in the Session section. Barry has a rollback provision in Easy. A slightly different method for backing up configurations than keeping different savefolders as you might in puppy.

When booting EasyOs you can view a speed test of your drive. The nvme should be quite fast as compared to the usb. There is quite a bit of difference between different USB drives also. Plugging the USB drive directly into the laptop port is much preferred to using extension cables, external hubs or keyboard sockets. Some laptops with multiple usb ports have a better spec on one port than the others.

Puppy will keep changes in ram and only write to disk on shutdown, and in that pupmode, (pupmodes are configurable BTW), will not be writing changes to disk constantly. Removing the USB before the machine is totally shut down will corrupt files, and a complete shutdown can take much longer than expected, especially with lower quality equipment plugged into the usb port.

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

I was tired yesterday when I posted. Had got back from a very long day with relatives.

Looking back at my post, with attached BOOTX64.EFI, of course if the EasyOS usb-stick boots to desktop then it means the BOOTX64.EFI is ok and no need to update it.

Governor

Post by Governor »

BarryK wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 am

---------

----

Ok, wait... my boot partition is fat32. Should it be fat12? I have had one successful boot into Puppy on my NVME drive after using limine installer on the fat32boot partition.

Boot images posted here:
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 178#p77178

@Governor

Did that.

Limine installer #1

Limine installer #2

Limine installer #3

Limine installer #4

8<-------snip

Did that.

Limine.cfg

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

fossapup OS files

Last edited by Governor on Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@Governor

my boot partition is fat32. I have had one successful boot into Puppy on my NVME drive after using limine installer on the fat32boot partition.

then you have gotten past the black screen issue after the first tutorial? all is working now?

Should it be fat12?

no, not unless you installed an EasyOs
when following the EasyOs tutorial, please refer to the most recent edit of viewtopic.php?p=77310#p77310

these links do not point to images

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:47 pm

@Governor

my boot partition is fat32. I have had one successful boot into Puppy on my NVME drive after using limine installer on the fat32boot partition.

then you have gotten past the black screen issue after the first tutorial? all is working now?

Should it be fat12?

no, not unless you installed an EasyOs
when following the EasyOs tutorial, please refer to the most recent edit of viewtopic.php?p=77310#p77310

these links do not point to images

I can see several uploaded and embedded images here:
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 123#p77123

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@Governor

Hmmm,
I have booted into a different machine , and see no embedded images on that post. I do see

Last edited by Governor on Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Perhaps your browser cache needs to be deleted?

Please open a new reply. restate your question and repost the pertinent images

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:09 pm

@Governor

Hmmm,
I have booted into a different machine , and see no embedded images on that post. I do see

Last edited by Governor on Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Perhaps your browser cache needs to be deleted?
[/

The images are still there in this post.
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 178#p77178

I just scroll down and I see a column of embedded images.

Please open a new reply. restate your question and repost the pertinent images

See what I mean, below?

@Governor

Did that.

Limine installer #1

Limine installer #2

Limine installer #3

Limine installer #4

8<-------snip

Did that.

Limine.cfg

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

fossapup OS files

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

images of installer screenshots? but you said Boot images, so I was looking for boot time images such as you posted earlier

Bios boot:

Limine boot:

init progress
Review Barrys questions, if there is nothing at all that happens when you boot, complete tutorial 2. If that fails , your mvme may be going bad

Governor

Post by Governor »

8<------snip

williwaw wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:47 pm

Review Barrys questions, if there is nothing at all that happens when you boot, complete tutorial 2. If that fails , your mvme may be going bad

I find it confusing that Barry mentioned a fat12 partition. What's up with that?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

size
a fat (microsoft) partition is needed to meet the spec for a UEFI bootloader. and many people use Fat32 because it is the most recent
barrys disk image includes a fat 12. fat12 allows for a smaller boot partition than fat32.

but remember, there is no need to do any disk prep for method 2,
all partitioning, boot loader installation and os installion is done in a single step with EasyDD

a second, third or any number of frugals of puppies, dogs or klv installs can be added or removed later with a simple two step process

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@Governor I've been monittoring this thread, and I must admit, I'm a bit lost as to where and what the status is.

If you have a working OS, what and where is it? USB Easy OS?

I can see you're trying to boot fossapup from nvme, but can you boot Easy from nvme?

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

wiak

Post by wiak »

This is becoming a long thread. I've never had such boot problems with fossapup nor heard of them till now. Or is it new fossapup release?

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Governor

Post by Governor »

@williwaw @geo_c
A very odd thing happened. I tried again to boot puppy on my NVME drive and got to the "black" screen, but on closer inspection, it's not actually black as in no lighting at all, it is blank with what appears to be minimal backlighting. Nothing happened for a few minutes and I had to do something else away from the computer. I came back and there was a boot menu on the screen with 3 options, 0, 1 and 2. It booted presumably into option 0 before I had time to react. Puppy started up without saved settings. Seemed to work ok.

I tried booting again, and it took a very long time like before but I did not see a boot menu, and I think it booted into option 0.

I tried again and pressed intermittently on the number 2, hoping to boot into saved settings. I did not see a boot menu, but it booted. Apparently one setting were restored.

Fossapup is running now, but there is no puppy symbol on any drives in pmount.

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:07 am

@Governor I've been monittoring this thread, and I must admit, I'm a bit lost as to where and what the status is.

If you have a working OS, what and where is it? USB Easy OS?

Yes,my EasyOS thumb drive is working.

I can see you're trying to boot fossapup from nvme, but can you boot Easy from nvme?

I do not know, but EasyOS seems to boot fine from the thumb drive and it is fairly quick to boot.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

if the 0, 1, 2 choice is the screen I think it is, then choose 0 as explained in step 17. ......

I tried again and pressed intermittently on the number 2, hoping to boot into saved settings. I did not see a boot menu, but it booted. Apparently one setting were restored.

choosing fossapup64save-void or fossapup64save-null will do nothing for you now or in the future, they are placeholders to get you the O, 1, 2 menu

I tried booting again, and it took a very long time like before but I did not see a boot menu,

if the first activity you saw on the screen since turning the computer on is the 0, 1, 2 menu, then the menu has timed out and the init was loaded.

and it took a very long time like before

test three times, post how many minutes and seconds for each try

have you changed any bios boot settings since you purchased the machine?

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:15 pm

if the 0, 1, 2 choice is the screen I think it is, then choose 0 as explained in step 17. ......

choosing fossapup64save-void or fossapup64save-null will do nothing for you now or in the future, they are placeholders to get you the O, 1, 2 menu

I tried booting again, and it took a very long time like before but I did not see a boot menu,

if the first activity you saw on the screen since turning the computer on is the 0, 1, 2 menu, then the menu has timed out and the init was loaded.

and it took a very long time like before

test three times, post how many minutes and seconds for each try

I booted the NVME drive and waited 3'30", nothing happened so I tried pressing zero followed by Enter. I got this:

And then it booted into the Puppy GUI.

Tried again, waited 2min and pressed zero followed by Enter, as before and came to the Puppy GUI.

Tried again, waited 10s and pressed zero followed by Enter, as before and came to the Puppy GUI.

have you changed any bios boot settings since you purchased the machine?

To the best of my knowledge, I followed the advice I received here and in the Limine installer. I will have to check what it was and get back.

Last edited by Governor on Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Beginners Help”