Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

Post by Governor »

I had booted successfully from my puppy thumb drive and it was running for two days.
I was trying the rtcwake-FULL command

Code: Select all

root# rtcwake-FULL -m mem -s 60

Unfortunately, the .sh file I made is now gone because it was on a virtual location created by the OS and that virtual location is now gone.

If I remember correctly, I tried:

root# rtcwake-FULL -m disk -s 60

The screen went black. So far so good. Then the screen went strange with garbled colors with no distinct pattern, and then black again. I tried Ctrl+C which had no visible effect.
I opened my laptop and saw that the computer had re-booted itself and tried to boot my thumb drive, but failed.

I tried booting from the thumb drive again, but it still failed. So, I tried booting from my NVME drive and surprisingly, it booted! The last time I tried, it had failed. I made a pupsave folder previously on the NVME drive and I was able to choose that folder on my current boot, but not a single setting returned. Someone pointed out that puppy cannot always tell the difference between a savefolder and a savefile, so maybe that is what happened. So, how do people get puppy to recognize the savefolder as a savefolder?

I opened Firefox from a location on my NVME drive, but the extensions were missing. Then, I ran Firefox from my thumb drive where I successfully booted from the last time and luckily FF worked fine except for no sound. I believe the sdb1 drive is locked in pmount because I am running Firefox on that drive.

For my current boot, I chose the NVME drive to boot in my BIOS, but in pmount there is no puppy symbol on any of the drives. I wonder why? I refreshed pmount 3 times and still no puppy symbol.

PS. I am planning to change my puppy partition to ext4 based on the advice I received in this forum. I was going to do that today while running puppy from my thumb drive. I can still do it if I am able to boot from my puppy CD. No, I will try first to do it from my EasyOS thumb drive: that is one drive that has never failed to boot (fingers crossed). A problem for me is I never know beforehand if puppy will boot successfully.

Last edited by Governor on Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

geo_c

Re: Boot problems wirh fassapup64_9.5

Post by geo_c »

Experimenting with rtcwake on a system booting from a usb fat32 partition using a save folder on an nvme ext4 partion, I liken to driving an old Chysler retro-fitted with a Toyota Camry transmission and trying to tow a boat into the Catskills.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am

Experimenting with rtcwake on a system booting from a usb fat32 partition using a save folder on an nvme ext4 partion, I liken to driving an old Chysler retro-fitted with a Toyota Camry transmission and trying to tow a boat into the Catskills.

I created the savefolder while booted on that drive so it ought to be legit.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Post the exact name you have for the save that seems to be not working?

Need to see what exact name it is?

When you boot the NVME drive if you see a boot menu with selections for booting Fossapup64.

What is the exact one you select?
Tell us what it is as shown to you?

You do understand that a save can be made as two different types.
A save file or a save folder.
The save folder is not a regular folder, but a folder used in a specific way.

The save file for Fossapup64 will be named: fossapup64save.2fs, .3fs, or .4fs.
A save folder will be named: fossapup64save
You can add to the name by having -something in this name, but this added naming, needs to be only letters and numbers.
Example:
A save folder: fossapup64save-anything154
A save file: fossapup64save-anything154.3fs

Do not have any directory or other folder named similar, unless it is a different real fossapup64 save folder.

If you store the save file or folder in a directory or folder.
Do not store the save files or folders in a directory or folder named anything like fossapup64save.
The storage directory or folder cannot be more than one layer deep in the partition it is on.
Best to not have it inside any other directory or folder.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:25 am

I have a better analogy. Suppose I take a self defense course and the instructor picks me to demonstrate how to defend against attack. I promptly knock him down. The instructor gets up and says, "You attacked me wrong." :lol: No matter what I do with Puppy, you tell me it's wrong, yet you keep telling me how flexible Puppy is.

Do you mean to say that the developers of Puppy are completely wrong? When I went to the menu to Setup>StickPup - usb stick installer,
and installed Puppy to a thumb drive, it automatically partitioned the USB to fat32 and installed Puppy there. I saw no other option, it was automatic. I seriously doubt the developers would choose a file system without testing it and without certainty that Puppy could use it reliably.

So what is the consensus here in the forum, are the Puppy developers wrong? Did they make a huge mistake in their evaluation that Puppy can reliably use fat32?

Last edited by Governor on Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:53 pm

So what is the deal, are the Puppy developers wrong? Did they make a huge mistake?

Learn by trial and error if you must, but don't complain and make these silly evaluations in the process. I laid out exactly what to do, and what NOT to do. You've ignored it, which is your choice and you have every right to do that.

I was going to give this analogy yesterday while you were spending time working getting your laptop to sleep. But you know....

dry humor doesn't translate well through text communication....pity.

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:53 pm

Do you mean to say that the developers of Puppy are completely wrong? When I went to the menu to Setup>StickPup - usb stick installer,

I told you on SEVERAL occassions to use the pup installer, the simple one 3rd choice down. Laid it out plainly. Remember? "Please don't make me find that post."

geo_c

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Besides, who knows what savefile was loaded, or folder, or how it got there, and which pup was using it, and on what partiton, on what drive, and how corrupted it was from trial and error operations. No one knows including you.

That's why I told you to learn early on how to run one install on one drive on a simply installed USB ext4 partiton. And then none of this would be happening.

I'm prophetic that way.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:16 am

Post the exact name you have for the save that seems to be not working?

:!: Here is limine,cfg which resides on my NVME boot partition:

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes
INTERFACE_BRANDING=EasyOS Limine Boot Manager
:KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

:Puppy Linux fossapup64 (partition nvme0n1p1, path fossapup64_9.5)
:psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save/
    PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save
    KERNEL_PATH=fslabel://NVME main/fossapup64_9.5/vmlinuz
    MODULE_PATH=fslabel://NVME main/fossapup64_9.5/initrd.gz

:!: Is there anything wrong with the bootloader cfg?

Need to see what exact name it is?

:!: /mnt/nvme0n1p4/fossapup64save

:!: I will have to return after booting to supply further info. Thanks!

When you boot the NVME drive if you see a boot menu with selections for booting Fossapup64.

What is the exact one you select?
Tell us what it is as shown to you?

You do understand that a save can be made as two different types.
A save file or a save folder.
The save folder is not a regular folder, but a folder used in a specific way.

The save file for Fossapup64 will be named: fossapup64save.2fs, .3fs, or .4fs.
A save folder will be named: fossapup64save
You can add to the name by having -something in this name, but this added naming, needs to be only letters and numbers.
Example:
A save folder: fossapup64save-anything154
A save file: fossapup64save-anything154.3fs

Do not have any directory or other folder named similar, unless it is a different real fossapup64 save folder.

If you store the save file or folder in a directory or folder.
Do not store the save files or folders in a directory or folder named anything like fossapup64save.
The storage directory or folder cannot be more than one layer deep in the partition it is on.
Best to not have it inside any other directory or folder.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

please post a screenshot of the filemanager window that includes.....
1. the save folder you wish to use
2. the full path in the title bar

Governor

Post by Governor »

@bigpup

williwaw wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:35 pm

1. the save folder you wish to use

/mnt/nvme0n1p4/fossapup64save

This is what is in the savefolder:

I added the 2 savefiles, which was undoubtedly a lame attempt, to get them to show up in the boot menu. All the directories and one txt file was put there by Puppy.

I am really tired, so tomorrow morning I will try the reboot and take screenshots with my camera during boot and post the results.

Thanks!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Governor :-

The main reason why FAT32 gets used so much is because every USB drive ever produced comes with it by default. Because FAT32 can be read by every OS in the world.

Puppy CAN run, with save-file, from FAT32......but it doesn't automatically follow from this that FAT32 is the best possible choice. It's chosen because many noobs who decide to try Puppy are, by definition, not interested in "all that partitioning/re-formatting rubbish" and just want to install, boot & use.

In other words, the community is lowering itself down to John Doe's level to try and make it all as easy as possible for noobs. TBH, it's something that is gradually happening across the Linux spectrum from all directions; it's no longer the exclusive preserve of "neck-beards" & "uber-geeks".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

williwaw

Re: Boot problems with fossapup64_9.5

Post by williwaw »

PS. I am planning to change my puppy partition to ext4 based on the advice I received in this forum. I was going to do that today while running puppy from my thumb drive. I can still do it if I am able to boot from my puppy CD. No, I will try first to do it from my EasyOS thumb drive: that is one drive that has never failed to boot (fingers crossed).

I guess this did not happen yet? hopefully, you will choose (for now), to keep the new fossapup files in /mnt/nvme0n1p4/ alongside fossapup64save.
before you create your new install, verify the checksum of your newly downloaded fossapup iso on the EasyOs USB with menu > utility > GtkHash checksum calculator

then left click on the iso and copy the files over to the top level of /mnt/nvme0n1p4/

1. puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs (along side all the other install files)

I added the 2 savefiles, 

please remove them to an external drive for now.

and in order to have the information necessary to create a proper liming.cfg for your new install, please post a screenshot of gparted showing the nvme disk. If there is not already a partition label for mnt/nvme0n1p4. please create one before taking the screenshot.

Governor

Post by Governor »

OMG, I wrote a detailed answer with images and it was trashed when I clicked submit.

williwaw wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:09 pm

PS. I am planning to change my puppy partition to ext4 based on the advice I received in this forum. I was going to do that today while running puppy from my thumb drive. I can still do it if I am able to boot from my puppy CD. No, I will try first to do it from my EasyOS thumb drive: that is one drive that has never failed to boot (fingers crossed).

I guess this did not happen yet? hopefully, you will choose (for now), to keep the new fossapup files in /mnt/nvme0n1p4/ alongside fossapup64save.
before you create your new install, verify the checksum of your newly downloaded fossapup iso on the EasyOs USB with menu > utility > GtkHash checksum calculator

then left click on the iso and copy the files over to the top level of /mnt/nvme0n1p4/

I added the 2 savefiles, 

and in order to have the information necessary to create a proper liming.cfg for your new install, please post a screenshot of gparted showing the nvme disk. If there is not already a partition label for mnt/nvme0n1p4. please create one before taking the screenshot.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:09 pm

I added the 2 savefiles, 

I moved the two extraneous savefiles to a different partition.

I downloaded the two files from the links you posted. Firefox complained that they were insecure downloads (due to http instead of https).

Then I read this:
https://phoenixnap.com/kb/md5sum-linux
Note: While md5sum is a reliable method for testing whether the file you received has been compromised, it is useful only if you know that the website you downloaded it from is secure. If hackers gain access to the website, they can change both the file and its checksum, making it appear as if the file you are downloading is safe.

Should I be concerned? Probably not, I think.

I decided to check the file integrity before doing anything else. I found the md5sum program and copied it to the folder with the downloaded files. Then I remembered the echo $PATH command, and I could see that copying the program was unnecessary. Peculiar that variables appear to be case sensitive.

The file integrity checked out fine with md5sum, so I plan to proceed as outlined above:
Boot with easyos thumb.
Mount the .iso file.
Copy the files to the root of the puppyinstall ext4 partition.

Pmount screenshot:

Gparted screenshot:

Wish me luck.

Governor

Post by Governor »

@williwaw

I was going to take screenshot photos before and after copying the files from the mounted .iso image, but, the nvmeon1p4 partition booted this time without me copying any files to it.

Bios boot:

Puppy boot menu (here I chose option #3, the savefolder):

Successful boot into Puppy:

Gparted after boot:

Pmount after boot. The little puppy symbol came back nest to the boot drive):

As expected, my settings returned, except for the screen settings - they have never returned, so far anyway.
How do I check if the savefolder was actually used, or if a savefile was used?

I don't see the OS files on the nvme0n1p4-boot drive. How do I see which OS files are in use?

Last edited by Governor on Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Governor

Post by Governor »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:35 pm

@Governor :-

The main reason why FAT32 gets used so much is because every USB drive ever produced comes with it by default. Because FAT32 can be read by every OS in the world.

Puppy CAN run, with save-file, from FAT32......but it doesn't automatically follow from this that FAT32 is the best possible choice. It's chosen because many noobs who decide to try Puppy are, by definition, not interested in "all that partitioning/re-formatting rubbish" and just want to install, boot & use.

In other words, the community is lowering itself down to John Doe's level to try and make it all as easy as possible for noobs. TBH, it's something that is gradually happening across the Linux spectrum from all directions; it's no longer the exclusive preserve of "neck-beards" & "uber-geeks".

Mike. ;)

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/noob

noob
noun Slang: Usually Disparaging.
a newbie, especially a person who is new to an online community and whose online participation and interactions display a lack of skill or knowledge:

Also sounds a lot like a variation of
boob
a stupid person; fool; dunce.

Newbie is the preferred term. :)

PS. I am nothing like John Doe, trust me. ;)

Last edited by Governor on Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

looking good....
a few more steps

1. please shutdown and remove the easy USB
2. boot fossapup on the nvme and copy a file, any file, from /mnt/nvme0n1p3 to the root of the puppyinstall ext4 partition.
3. please post a codeblock with the entire contents of /mnt/nvme0n1p3limine.cfg as it currently exists
4. one more screenshot please, this screenshot needs to be of the filemanager rox window opened to /mnt/nvme0n1p4, not pmount. it should show everything you see in the shot below plus the files you extracted from the iso on the easyUSB and copied over, and the anyfile you just copied over from /mnt/nvme0n1p3. the titlebar should contain/confirm the path

savefolder.png
savefolder.png (18.7 KiB) Viewed 1246 times

with this additional info, I can propose an edit to your limine.cfg that should allow your savefolder to work

edit: I see you have it booting

I don't see the OS files on the nvme0n1p4-boot drive. How do I see which OS files are in use?

follow thru with the instructions above in spite of an apparent success. too many saves in all the wrong places can give false positives. I would like to see you have a properly configured limine.cfg before moving on.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:01 pm

looking good....
a few more steps

2. boot fossapup on the nvme and copy a file, any file, from /mnt/nvme0n1p3 to the root of the puppyinstall ext4 partition.
3. please post a codeblock with the entire contents of /mnt/nvme0n1p3limine.cfg as it currently exists
4. one more screenshot please, this screenshot needs to be of the filemanager rox window opened to /mnt/nvme0n1p4, not pmount. it should show everything you see in the shot below plus the files you extracted from the iso on the easyUSB and copied over, and the anyfile you just copied over from /mnt/nvme0n1p3. the titlebar should contain/confirm the path
savefolder.png

with this additional info, I can propose an edit to your limine.cfg that should allow your savefolder to work

follow thru with the instructions above in spite of an apparent success. too many saves in all the wrong places can give false positives. I would like to see you have a properly configured limine.cfg before moving on.

Ok, wait a minute. I rebooted from my EasyOs 4.4 Thumb and tried to copy the files from the .iso to the /mnt/nvme0n1p4 partition and got errors.

Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/splash.png as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/splash.png
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/splash.png': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/splash.png'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/splash.jpg as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/splash.jpg
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/splash.jpg': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/splash.jpg'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/isolinux
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid64 as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/isolinux/isohybrid64
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid64': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid64'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid.pl as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/isolinux/isohybrid.pl
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid.pl': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid.pl'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/isolinux/isohybrid
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/isohybrid'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/chain.c32 as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/isolinux/chain.c32
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/chain.c32': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/isolinux/chain.c32'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/grub
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/menu_phelp.lst as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/grub/menu_phelp.lst
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/menu_phelp.lst': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/menu_phelp.lst'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/menu.lst as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/grub/menu.lst
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/menu.lst': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/menu.lst'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/loopback.cfg as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/grub/loopback.cfg
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/loopback.cfg': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/loopback.cfg'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/grub.cfg as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/grub/grub.cfg
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/grub.cfg': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/grub.cfg'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/grldr as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/grub/grldr
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/grldr': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/grldr'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/font.pf2 as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/grub/font.pf2
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/font.pf2': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/grub/font.pf2'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/efi.img as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/efi.img
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/efi.img': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/efi.img'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/boot/boot.catalog as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/boot/boot.catalog
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/Windows_Installer as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/Windows_Installer
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/Windows_Installer/readme.txt as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/Windows_Installer/readme.txt
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/Windows_Installer/readme.txt': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/Windows_Installer/readme.txt'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/Windows_Installer/readme.html as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/Windows_Installer/readme.html
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/Windows_Installer/readme.html': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/Windows_Installer/readme.html'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/fdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/fdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/fdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/fdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/grub.cfg as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/grub.cfg
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/grub.cfg': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/grub.cfg'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/initrd.gz as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/initrd.gz
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/initrd.gz': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/initrd.gz'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/isolinux.bin as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/isolinux.bin
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/README.txt as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/README.txt
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/README.txt': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/README.txt'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/vmlinuz as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/vmlinuz
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/vmlinuz': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/vmlinuz'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs as /mnt/nvme0n1p4/zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs
cp: error reading '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs': Input/output error
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+nvme0n1p4+fossapup64-9.5.iso/zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs'

Done
There were 25 errors.

Does it mean there is a problem with the .iso file and would it make a difference if I burn it to a CD first?
Does it mean there is a problem with the EasyOS thumb?
Could there be a problem with file permissions?
There were some unusual choices when I booted EasyOS . . . I chose check file system and there was a lost+found folder missing which was added (according to the message).
Would it work better with an .img file and to use dd or easydd to transfer the .img file to the partition?
Does dd or easydd work with .iso files? Should I try that?

Thanks!

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:01 pm

looking good....
a few more steps

savefolder.png

I copied the limine.cfg from NVNE part 3 to part 4. As you can see, copying file here from the .iso did not work. I tried mounting the .iso from two different folders.

Current limine.cfg:

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes
:KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck

:Puppy Linux fossapup64 (partition nvme0n1p1, path fossapup64_9.5)
:psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save/
    PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash pfix=fsck psave=nvme0n1p4:fossapup64save
    KERNEL_PATH=fslabel://NVME main/fossapup64_9.5/vmlinuz
    MODULE_PATH=fslabel://NVME main/fossapup64_9.5/initrd.gz

Only option #3 is working in my Puppy boot menu. The first 2 options do not work.

Governor

Post by Governor »

@williwaw

I think I may have fixed it.

Pmount:

Rox:

limine.cfg on nvme0n1p3:

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

:Puppy Linux fossapup64 (partition nvme0n1p4, path fossapup64_9.5)
    PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5 pmedia=ataflash
    KERNEL_PATH=fslabel://puppyinstall/fossapup64_9.5/vmlinuz
    MODULE_PATH=fslabel://puppyinstall/fossapup64_9.5/initrd.gz

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Governor wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:34 pm

@williwaw

Pmount:

Rox:

limine.cfg on nvme0n1p3:

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

looking at your limine.cfg, I presume you have located the puppy/install/ sfs files on the ext4 partition in a directory named /fossapup64_9.5 ?

is there also a directory named /fossapup64_9.5 with the same puppy/install/sfs files in existence on any other partition?

do the puppy/install/sfs files exist in any way, shape or form anywhere on any partition on the nvme device?

I suspect you may be booting from an install on one partition, while using a save on a different partition.

If there is more than one limine install. ie more than one limine.cfg anywhere on the nvme, how do you know which configuration is being used?
rename any other limine.cfg that may exist, except the one on nvme0n1p3 to limine.cfg-old

please make an edit to the limine.cfg on nvme0n1p3 (the one you posted above), adding the second stanza as shown below.

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

: fossapup RAM  
    PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=pmedia=ataflash  pfiix=ram

reboot and choose the new boot entry fossapup RAM, when the bootloader comes up,
if it boots into a pristine install, go ahead and make a new save folder at shutdown

name it fossapup64save-test

locate it in the top of the ext4 partition
you should see 2 savefolders to pick from at the next reboot

Last edited by williwaw on Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
williwaw

Post by williwaw »

should you run into boot issues or not find the fossapup RAM entry as expected, or boot into a save that does not seem to reflect the most recent changes,

please post two new screenshots

1. of a rox window (not a pmount window), showing the top level contents of mnt/nvme0n1p3
2. of a rox window (not a pmount window), showing the top level contents of mnt/nvme0n1p4

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:55 pm
Governor wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:34 pm

@williwaw

8<------

looking at your limine.cfg, I presume you have located the puppy/install/ sfs files on the ext4 partition in a directory named /fossapup64_9.5 ?

is there also a directory named /fossapup64_9.5 with the same puppy/install/sfs files in existence on any other partition?

do the puppy/install/sfs files exist in any way, shape or form anywhere on any partition on the nvme device?

I suspect you may be booting from an install on one partition, while using a save on a different partition.

If there is more than one limine install. ie more than one limine.cfg anywhere on the nvme, how do you know which configuration is being used?
rename any other limine.cfg that may exist, except the one on nvme0n1p3 to limine.cfg-old

please make an edit to the limine.cfg on nvme0n1p3 (the one you posted above), adding the second stanza as shown below.

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=pmedia=ataflash  pfiix=ram

reboot and choose the new boot entry fossapup RAM, when the bootloader comes up,
if it boots into a pristine install, go ahead and make a new save folder at shutdown

I did the above, and got as far as choosing the RAM option. Rebooted. but the RAM option didn't work. I tried it twice and it was the same both times:
I tried to use the file system check as suggested, but my attempts failed. I booted successfully using the original menu choice, with no error messages, but there was no option to restore from a previous session. Nonetheless, my settings did return except for the screen settings, of course. I don't know where the settings returned from, or why there was no choice involved.

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:16 pm

should you run into boot issues or not find the fossapup RAM entry as expected, or boot into a save that does not seem to reflect the most recent changes,

please post two new screenshots

1. of a rox window (not a pmount window), showing the top level contents of mnt/nvme0n1p3
2. of a rox window (not a pmount window), showing the top level contents of mnt/nvme0n1p4

p3

p4

There is no OS in this folder: /mnt/nvme0n1p3/fossapup64_9.5

It contains 2 files:
/mnt/nvme0n1p3/fossapup64_9.5/fossapup64save.4fs
/mnt/nvme0n1p3/fossapup64_9.5/fossapup64initmodules.txt

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

govenor

we are getting close, are your changes persisting when you reboot the first entry?

1. please rename your existing nvme0n1p3/limine.cfg to limine.cfg-working
2. in the same location, create a new limine.cfg
the following code should be pasted into it

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

PROTOCOL=linux
    KERNEL_CMDLINE=psubdir=fossapup64_9.5  pmedia=ataflash pfix=ram

try to boot each stanza. please report on the success or failure of each menu entry
as before, reboot and try the ram entry. if you are offered a chance to make a save folder

/mnt/home/fossapup64save is named as if it is a savefolder, however it does not look like a savefolder in that it looks like a normal folder in the filemanager.
please open it in rox and make a screenshot of the contents

if both entries boot, and after you create the second savefolder (fossapup64save-test), and during a later reboot, you are not offered a choice of savefolders: then please post a screenshot of mnt/home/ (nvme0n1p4-top-level)

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:30 am

govenor

we are getting close, are your changes persisting when you reboot the first entry?

:!: All changes (except screen settings) return as far as I can see, but there are no choices given at any point to the user.

:!: Did that.

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

PROTOCOL=linux

:!: I will try the rest, but, here is a screenshot from the limine installer:
:!: Limine found 3 puppy locations:
:!: Could the two other locations be somehow interfering with the setup?

try to boot each stanza. please report on the success or failure of each menu entry
as before, reboot and try the ram entry. if you are offered a chance to make a save folder

/mnt/home/fossapup64save is named as if it is a savefolder, however it does not look like a savefolder in that it looks like a normal folder in the filemanager.

:!: Here is the contents of that folder:

:!: I will try booting with the new limine.cfg

if both entries boot, and after you create the second savefolder (fossapup64save-test), and during a later reboot, you are not offered a choice of savefolders: then please post a screenshot of mnt/home/ (nvme0n1p4-top-level)

Governor

Post by Governor »

williwaw wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:30 am

govenor

:!: When I booted the first entry, the screen settings returned!! This is monumental. First time ever!

:!: When I booted the second entry there was no settings restored due to the RAM boot, I presume.
:!: When I tried to create the savefolder on shutdown, perhaps I missed something, but I did not see how to create a savefolder in the root:

QUIET=no
TIMEOUT=20
GRAPHICS=no
DEFAULT_ENTRY=1
EDITOR_ENABLED=yes

PROTOCOL=linux

PROTOCOL=linux

The fossapup64save-test was not created at the top level, but can I move it and change the limine.cfg accordingly?
I booted again successfully from the first entry in the boot menu and my settings including screen settings returned. I was not given any choices during the boot process though.

Governor

Post by Governor »

@williwaw

Well the jubilation was short lived. Everything went south again and now I got a migraine. :(

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

gov,

Everything went south again

sorry to hear that.

1. what did you do before everything went south ?
2. what were you expecting to happen after you did it ?
3. what actually happened ?

___________________________________________________________________________________________

the good news!
this is in fact a savefolder. it was the one limine pointed to that made for your earlier success. for some reason unknown to me, it lacks an icon file inside which
changes the external appearance of the folder in rox. It had me guessing for a while.
no matter, leave it where it is, it seems to work without the icon just fine, and do not create any other folder or file with the same name anywhere, or make a copy of it anywhere.
we can relocate it, should you wish, along with any needed edits to limine.cfg, later on, once we get things working well.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
I will try the rest, but, here is a screenshot from the limine installer:

Please do not run the installer. it generates new copies of limine.cfg
we just now figured out which limine.cfg is the one being referenced when booting the machine, and are in the process of making manual edits to point to your savefolders.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

The fossapup64save-test was not created at the top level, but can I move it and change the limine.cfg accordingly?
I booted again successfully from the first entry in the boot menu and my settings including screen settings returned. I was not given any choices during the boot process though.

yes, please move it to the top level right next to the fossapup64save you supplied the screen shot of. change the name to simply fossapup64save_test hopefully it will appear as a choice when you boot again. do not edit limine.cfg at this time.

4. when you try to boot the laptop, do you see "fossapup RAM" offered as a second choice in the boot menu?

Return to “Beginners Help”