Gtk3 "FileChooser sort-directories-first" is a no-go (Solved)

versatile 64-bit multi-user Linux distribution

Moderators: kirk, jamesbond, p310don, JakeSFR, step, Forum moderators

01101001b

Gtk3 "FileChooser sort-directories-first" is a no-go (Solved)

Post by 01101001b »

When trying:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser sort-directories-first true

I get this reply:
GLib-GIO-Message: 21:22:59.047: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend. Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

Notes:
- FatDog64 812 here running Slimjet Browser via "run-as-spot"
- gtk3 3.24.31 package is installed
- export GIO_EXTRA_MODULES=/usr/lib64/gio/modules/ has no effect
- manual edit of /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml has no effect

What am I missing? :?
Thx in advance! :thumbup:

EDIT:
(Some context)
When I needed to upload a file from the browser, the file list appeared disordered and not showing hidden files. Right click on the file list made appear those options to select, but after the browser was closed and opened again, those configurations were gone.

As it's seen, Fatdog64 is a tad reluctant to the "solution" I described previously (in order to make those changes persistant) but this workaround worked for me.

Instead of:

gsettings set org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser sort-directories-first true

I made the appropiate changes manually in "/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gtk.Settings.FileChooser.gschema.xml":
"sort-directories-first": "false" > "true"
'show-hidden': "false" > "true"

And then I run:

glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

This last command creates a binary equivalent (gschemas.compiled) of all the schemas in the folder.

And that's it. Now the default view in the file list from the browser (that is, when you press "ctrl + o") shows the directories first and the hidden files too.

''Most people make the mistake of thinking design is what it looks like [...] It's not [...]. Design is how it works.'' -- Steve Jobs

Return to “FatDog64”