How to boot Xenialpup iso from USB stick?[Abandoned]

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

April

How to boot Xenialpup iso from USB stick?[Abandoned]

Post by April »

Can someone just lay out for me in clear steps how to make a USB drive load xenialpup64-7.5 . Its time to make it clear because CD writers are not in laptops any more and the externals wont boot .
This is a UEFI machine of course as are all built after 2012, so don't mention the other as it just confuses . Keep that for another Legacy post later perhaps.

There is so much confusing and conflicting advice on here that one scratches ones head in blind panic. I don't have windows on my machines ever. so Rufus wont work.

bigdogs done one and I could not get anything from that so it needs a revamp bigdog. Exactly which downloads do I need for the boot? Then how do I run them. If you do one feel free to move this post to your post thread and sticky it

I have the iso . I am running EasyOS to do the job as I can't get anything else to run atm ,my desktop failed and it had a live CD in it.with it on the CD Live .

I have had several attempts to 'dd' the iso on but it puts the EFI files on the second partition instead of the first partition and I am told that's a no no.

dd if=/mnt/nvme0n1p2/easyos/files/downloads/xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=1M

All goes well with 330 records written but it will not boot even with the F12 picking up the USB stick . Just hangs.?

Last edited by April on Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

Flash

Re: How to boot Xenialpup iso from USB stick?

Post by Flash »

I think you can do it using Barry's easydd utility, if you can find a Xenialpup64-7.5.img file. Maybe someone's made a utility to convert an .iso file to .img.

Chaos coordinator :?
gychang

Post by gychang »

You can create a xenialpup64 bootable USB using ventoy. (Most of 32bit Puppys don't work...) I actually tried it today. FP64, BP64, and XenialPup64 will all work in UEFI PC, but Tahrpup64 does not boot from Ventoy USB. Although dd command works in almost all linux but not with puppy...

1. download ventoy-1.0.85-linux.tar.gz from here: https://www.ventoy.net/en/download.html
2. extract it e.g. ~/Downloads, cd ~/Downloads/ventoy-1.0.85/
3. from terminal sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -I /dev/sdX , run lsblk to make sure correct USB stick
4. copy xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso to the first partition of the ventoy USB.
now the ventoy USB is ready and boot from the USB.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

April

Post by April »

Thank you , so firstly I need an image file not an iso?

What I get atm on the USB is as per the screenshot.

Screenshotxenialpup.png
Screenshotxenialpup.png (156.7 KiB) Viewed 881 times

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

April

Post by April »

gychang wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:11 am

You can create a xenialpup64 bootable USB using ventoy. (Most of 32bit Puppys don't work...) I actually tried it today. FP64, BP64, and XenialPup64 will all work in UEFI PC, but Tahrpup64 does not boot from Ventoy USB. Although dd command works in almost all linux but not with puppy...

1. download ventoy-1.0.85-linux.tar.gz from here: https://www.ventoy.net/en/download.html check
2. extract it e.g. ~/Downloads, cd ~/Downloads/ventoy-1.0.85/ check
3. from terminal sh Ventoy2Disk.sh -I /dev/sdX , run lsblk to make sure correct USB stickMy mistake here I dd'd the iso to the usb so formatted it to ext4 with gparted and noticed boot flag not on in the EFI partition so turned it on. Ran it and got ventoy GUI up but it said no iso or img file found . Cleaned the partition again ,used the venty GUI to put Ventoy onto partition then copied the whole iso file on too.
4. copy xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso to the first partition of the ventoy USB.
now the ventoy USB is ready and boot from the USB. booted up from USB and imagine the excitement and trepidation when up came Ventoy with the option to load xenialpup64.did that and then just a blank hang for 5 minutes ? Have retried a few times now booting normally or grub2 options but still hangs.

But I'm working on it . Thanks very much . It looks like this could be a very workable solution .lsblk checked it was on the right partition.
I found thid advice in a search and will try it too.

dd if=/home/asic/ubuntu.iso of=/home/asic/ubuntu.img

Last edited by April on Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

First make sure you have secure boot disabled in the UEFI setup.

Most UEFI bios will not let computer boot from USB if secure boot is enabled.

UEFI setup may or may not have this:
Also look for a setting about booting from USB that will need to be enabled.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People I have helped have had good luck using Unetbootin program to do the install to USB stick.

It does need the USB stick setup having one partition and it formatted fat32.

This will give you a USB stick that can have a save on it. Fat format can be written to.

Unetbootin installs a boot loader that will work with UEFI booting.

Unetbootin.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Follow the directions for using an iso file you have already downloaded.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/#other

Note:
Unetbootin Linux version will download as a bin file.
To run it you need to give it exec permissions, then just left click on the file to run it.

note2:
This was an issue with Unetbootin running in Puppy, but I think it was fixed in newer versions of Unetbootin.
But just in case you run into it.

If Unetbootin is not finding your USB drive.

Sometimes you have to force the issue with Unetbootin.

Start Unetbootin from the console by using this command.

Code: Select all

unetbootin installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdb1

You tell it the target USB drive you want it to use.

My USB flash drive is sdb1

Just make the targetdrive=/dev/ (whatever your USB drive is identified as)

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

April

Post by April »

Thanks . I'm persevering . This cheap laptop keeps changing the secure boot mode ,dont know why ,but I'm ensuring it has ssecure boot off and it shows as off when Ventoy starts . I think I am looking for the image file for xenialpup64-7.5 . I tried dding it iso to image file but I'm skeptical about that .

Ah gee how to spend a wet afternoon.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

what exactly happens when you try to boot with the USB install?
Details!
You do what?
You see what?

Do you ever get to a boot menu with options listed for selecting how to boot Xenialpup?

Is Windows OS on this laptop and has been shutdown in hibernate mode?
If yes.
Make sure to do a normal shutdown of Windows!!
Hibernate mode does not fully release control of computer booting.

Forum Global Moderator

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

@bigpup

unetbootin installtype=USB targetdrive=/dev/sdb1

You tell it the target USB drive you want it to use.

I havent used unetbootin in quite a while, but can you confirm that USB targetdrive= should be a partition, in this case sdb1, rather than the drive itself, sdb

Last edited by williwaw on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
williwaw

Post by williwaw »

April wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:00 am

I have the iso . I am running EasyOS to do the job

EasyOs should have limine installer in the menu if you need to install a bootloader. I am not sure why you are being directed to a third party boot loader. If your EasyOs is older and does not have the app, a Limine installer .pet can be found
viewtopic.php?t=6406

Thank you , so firstly I need an image file not an iso?

only if you want to use a dd type tool, but Xenialpup is an iso, so a dd type tool would not be my first choice

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

I have three Puppy's, and some other Linux distros, on a Ventoy USB stick. In all cases I've simply copied the iso file to the USB stick and I've never had any problem booting any of them. And that includes Bionic 32.

gychang

Post by gychang »

April wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:13 am

This cheap laptop keeps changing the secure boot mode ,dont know why ,but I'm ensuring it has ssecure boot off and it shows as off when Ventoy starts .

maybe replace CMOS "button" battery...

======

======

April

Post by April »

gychang wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:54 pm
April wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:13 am

This cheap laptop keeps changing the secure boot mode ,dont know why ,but I'm ensuring it has ssecure boot off and it shows as off when Ventoy starts .

maybe replace CMOS "button" battery...

Do laptops have one too? I have had the back off for a look and did not notice . I found when the lid slams shut it goes into a hibernation state that I can't get it out of. I went in to disconnect the battery which worked , then found out you can do it with a paperclip when you locate its reset hole on the back. It all operates in sleep mode as it should I think just can't get it out of the hibernation state after lid down.
Anyway I have the manual now and thats another issue I'll sort .
This Ventoy is very interesting.

gychang

Post by gychang »

April wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:30 pm
gychang wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:54 pm

Do laptops have one too?
This Ventoy is very interesting.

Had a dell laptop I had to replace..., just put up a youtube.

======

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@williwaw :-

I made up a couple of .pets for the 32-bit and 64-bit builds of UNetbootin, quite some time ago. They include a start script in /root/my-applications/bin that uses the 'forced-start' method bigpup mentioned. Just edit it to point to the partition you wish to use.

It's about the only well-known USB installer that consistently gives a bootable Puppy....every time.

You DO need to ensure you have 'mtools' installed via the PPM ( or whatever your package manager is ) before UNetbootin will run.

The .pets can be found here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/usrz5c ... UNetbootin

.....with a Menu entry under Menu->Utility.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If you will give us the exact manufacture and model of the laptop should be able to find info on changing the cmos battery.

Forum Global Moderator

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @April, i'm late to the party, here.

Several good suggestion, here.

@gychang offers a good approach for booting all MODERN WoofCE PUPs, and the KLV and DOGs here on the forum, except there is a missing component needed: WHICH I WONT DISCUSS HERE to cover getting forum distros up.

BUT, @gychang DOES offer a good solution now that you have had good success as it is displaying the contents of any/all ISO contained on partition #1. I STRONGLY encourage you to make a folder on partition #1 named "BOOTISOS" and keep ALL of your ISO in that folder on partition #1 (This is required for a future element covered outside of this thread)

This will get you to a PUP's desktop using the Ventoy USB you have in hand

1. I am hopeful that you followed the 1-step in my above paragraph as it is key for all future PUP/DOG use.

2. Find and download @01micko's Slacko64 v7.0 to the BOOTISOS folder you created on partition #!

3. Boot the USB, select Slacko v7 ISO

4. The Slacko v7 boot Menu will display...boot your choice

This PUP will work OOTB from your Ventoy USB on your PC system. It will boot all the way to desktop and do EVERYTHING you expect from a PUP experience

PM me, should you want more knowledge on how to improve YOUR ISO file booting of PUPs/DOGs ISO files found on this forum. I can guide you to forum instructions that work to ease ALL future use of these ISO file booting and management on this forum.

April

Post by April »

Thank you all for your helpful contributions . I feel I am getting closer as the ventoy window opens to select the iso but I have not had one actually load yet.

Barry's EasyOS is the only operable system I have and its a bit strange to me as when I download stuff it puts the download into root owner and filesgrp as the group. If I download through Firefox it claims ownership so properties comes up as rw-.r--x,r-x firefox,firefox. Ventoy came up as rwx,r-x,r-x/--- ?

Now that seems to be causing problems and the below screenshot shows the error message I get when I copy the isos to USB sticks.
It writes the iso to the stick but then says it didn't ?

CopyFileScreenshot.jpg
CopyFileScreenshot.jpg (149.99 KiB) Viewed 772 times

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Now you have an EasyOS problem.

You need to make a topic in the EasyOS section of the forum about this issue.

Forum Global Moderator

April

Post by April »

bigpup wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:19 am

Now you have an EasyOS problem.You need to make a topic in the EasyOS section of the forum about this issue.

Yes I have done that now . I continue to try to get Ventoy to load other OS and I also wish to find out if I can get an "img" file for xenialpup64-7.5. I have only found "iso" files .

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

an .img file is useful if you want to accept the packagers disk setup and forgo using gparted to set the drive up yourself
why not just make a frugal install with the bootloader installer already in easy?

April

Post by April »

@williwaw Well to be honest the situation is a mess in that respect and I have no idea now how you would do that now and which installer you would use having worked from a live CD for so many years. I mean you have grub and grubt2dos and etc,etc.

Being stuck in EasyOS atm what steps would you take to install it please ?

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

April wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:14 am

@williwaw Well to be honest the situation is a mess in that respect and I have no idea now how you would do that now and which installer you would use having worked from a live CD for so many years. I mean you have grub and grubt2dos and etc,etc.

how to make a USB drive load xenialpup64-7.5

do you want to make a new Xenial install on your usb or your laptop? either way,

If you already have a working easyos on the same drive you wish to install xenial to, the current easy install should already be in a top level folder /easyos

1. create an xenial folder along side it
2. click on your xenial iso and copy the contents of the rox window that pops up, into the new xenial folder
4. run limine bootloader installer which can be found in menu> setup

https://bkhome.org/news/202207/install- ... stros.html

April

Post by April »

@williwaw

Well blow me down. It got up and ran !

Thank You .

I am glad though that I had a copy of Easy on a usb stick because I lost the ability to load easy from my hard drive that I did have . The change to limine seems to have done that. I have explored the limine.cfg file looking to see how to get that back but its not working for me atm.

The easy top level file is there but its not being seen by the limine loader. Thats put me in a pickle because I had that one all up and running well and now I cant even access my email.

Don't do this as yet anybody else till I get it sorted out!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@April :-

Glad to hear you're up-and-running..!

I was about to suggest doing almost exactly what williwaw said. Ventoy is a useful tool, certainly, but the snag is that over the last couple of years since it's got regularly mentioned, certain parties are under the impression that it's the ONLY way any Puppian should install anything at all. We seem to have got into a groove with it being constantly mentioned; Clarity, in particular, is absolutely convinced that it's the "dog's dinner" and that everybody should use it. It appears to work very well for him, though it doesn't, unfortunately, seem to work for everyone!

Clarity has talked about it to such an extent that he's pissed-off several people on here (mentioning no names). He's been warned about it on more than one occasion, but every time we do he's convinced it's a personal attack on him alone.....

If it works for YOU - or anyone else - that's great. Just remember that it's but ONE tool in Puppy's copious arsenal, and is NOT the "be-all and the end-all".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:45 pm

If it works for YOU - or anyone else - that's great. Just remember that it's but ONE tool in Puppy's copious arsenal, and is NOT the "be-all and the end-all".

Agree 100% Mike, Ventoy is certainly not perfect. I must admit I've mentioned it on a few occasions, and as I've said before I've never had any problems booting a Puppy (or any other Linux distro), or installing a distro from Ventoy.

The problem with Ventoy and Puppy comes if you want to create a Save file/folder, then the problems start. A way of doing it was explained to me some time ago, but I only got it to work with Fossa, no other Puppy, and even then it was "fiddly". Well that was my experience, might not be everybody's.

I've now shifted my preference to YUMI, and creating a Save is just the same as if you had the Puppy on it's own USB stick. In fact, I've had 3 Puppies on a YUMI USB, each with it's own Save file, and all boot up fine and recognise the correct Save. Possible issue with YUMI is that it's only for Windows. It is supposed to work ok under Wine, but I haven't had to check that out as I still have a Windows 7 laptop.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, stevie pup, for mentioning yumi. I've never used it myself. According to WineHq, some versions work very well under Wine; other 'not so much'. https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=13741. Of particular note, older versions seem to work better, but that may be because they didn't have to deal with UEFI.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

April wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 6:39 am

@williwaw

Well blow me down. It got up and ran !

Thank You .

I am glad though that I had a copy of Easy on a usb stick because I lost the ability to load easy from my hard drive that I did have . The change to limine seems to have done that. I have explored the limine.cfg file looking to see how to get that back but its not working for me atm.

The easy top level file is there but its not being seen by the limine loader. Thats put me in a pickle because I had that one all up and running well and now I cant even access my email.

Don't do this as yet anybody else till I get it sorted out!

@BarryK might be interested in your results.
If I understand your situation correctly,

1. you were booted into the easy on your harddrive, when

2. You ran limine bootloader installer. The target was the usb, which now finds and boots both Xenial and Easy OK?

But now, Easy on the harddrive won't boot?

Did you do the install on the harddrive by dd ing an easy.img from an external drive?
Can you post a photo of the screen with the interupped limine boot?

April

Post by April »

Well this has been a total wipeout for me. My new laptop is dead. Wont boot easy from the hard drive ,gives messages like "two partitions have the same ID ,shutting down" and cant find the HD when looking for files at bootup.

Got pristine downloads from iblio and put them on the usb sticks with Barry's dd program and duplicate ID's was the result.

I pulled out an old Dell laptop centurys old but it has a CD to boot from so that's what i'm using atm and its all I have . It has no battery and resets every time I unplug it but its getting me here.

I don't think I will use Easy anymore from here. Bloody useless. Ventoy seemed to work OK on "img" but useless for "iso"s .
Making a top folder with "ISOFILES" dunno what that was about but ignore that folks ,useless.

Limine loader,bugger me what a mess.

April

Post by April »

williwaw wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:22 am
April wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:14 am

how to make a USB drive load xenialpup64-7.5

do you want to make a new Xenial install on your usb or your laptop? either way,

If you already have a working easyos on the same drive you wish to install xenial to, the current easy install should already be in a top level folder /easyos

1. create an xenial folder along side it
2. click on your xenial iso and copy the contents of the rox window that pops up, into the new xenial folder
4. run limine bootloader installer which can be found in menu> setup

https://bkhome.org/news/202207/install- ... stros.html

Don't do this folks. I made the new folder and put the contents of the xenial iso in as above . After that it never saw the hard drive again. Now I put it

Sorry @williwaw but that started all the disasterous consequences. You understand it but I clearly did not! From memory I made it /Xenial

Return to “Users”