Is NicOS Utility Suite the right tool to use? [SOLVED]

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Jasper

Is NicOS Utility Suite the right tool to use? [SOLVED]

Post by Jasper »

Hi all

I have extracted my PupSave file using UExtract and then copied over some new contents into the directories.

I thought I could use @amethyst NicOS Utility Suite to convert my "fossapup64-save.4s folder into the correct format.

I have looked at the various options but to me none look suitable. I did check the Help options which are only accessible after an initial selection has been made.
Also, I noted their are set options for work areas. In my case my original save file is 640mb and the option will mean I have to choose 750mb as the work space. Is this also correct?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or explain the steps to be undertaken to accomplish this task?

Last edited by Jasper on Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper

Re: Is NicOS Utility Suite the right tool to use?

Post by Jasper »

*bump*

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Not sure what you want to achieve so guessing. Looks like you want to convert an existing save folder to a save file. This can be done using the Savefolder2Savefile utility of the suite. You will have to indicate the filesystem and size of the new save file (which should be more than the size of the data in the savefolder plus extra because you need to make space for future growth). In your case (given the detail you provided) I would choose 1GB at least as the size of the new save file. The work space refers to the RAM or disk space available for the operation. If you have lots of RAM available like 3GB plus, you can choose the RAMDISK option for the work space otherwise select a partition. So in practical terms if you want to convert your save folder to save file: boot with the save folder > make the changes you wish (like installing stuff) > run the utility > rename the new save file accordingly (if necessary) > reboot with the new save file (which replaces the old save folder which you should have either deleted or saved as a backup beforehand).

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@amethyst

Thank you for replying back to my question and for providing me with an answer.

What I would like to do is add contents (CoreUtils-9.xx) to my PupSave file. I am using a USB-flash drive for the OS.

I have tried to add my files into the
puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs

which did not work and told me that I was using the original not the updated.

I also tried with the application SFS, that too, did not work.

So, finally I am going to add them to the PupSave file as I am guessing this is the last layer to be added and overwrites all the preceding ones ( :?: ). My expectation would be that this would make the updates stick.

So, if I click into the PupSave file I can see the contents and can copy over the new files.

My problem then is that it does not remain as a PupSave file but simply a copy of my Root directory.

I hope this makes sense and you can follow the steps I have carried out so far?

So, will your application allow me to create a new PupSave file?

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I would not recommend adding stuff to a save file manually. Rather install the software properly via a software package (like installing a .pet package thereof). This way it will be installed correctly. This is the easiest and safest way to to it and should provide the best results. The installation will be added to the contents of the save file. And yes, the save file has preference to all other Puppy files. You don't need a new save file, boot your existing one and install the software as mentioned (just make sure the changes are saved - depends on your settings but normally changes to a save file are saved automatically).

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@amethyst

PPM shows me the old version of the package I wish to install.

I have compiled a more recent build but it does not install correctly and reverts back to the old version.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Finally got it working.

Had to rearrange the PET file and now it works :thumbup:

Thanks again

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Is NicOS Utility Suite the right tool to use? [SOLVED]

Post by rockedge »

Had to rearrange the PET file and now it works :thumbup:

See what I mean? viewtopic.php?p=75563#p75563

Return to “Users”