Grub4dos doesn't recognize my nvme drive, what tool should I use? [solved with Limine bootloader]

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Governor

Grub4dos doesn't recognize my nvme drive, what tool should I use? [solved with Limine bootloader]

Post by Governor »

After installing fossapup64.9.5 to my internal nvme SSD drive (formatted to one ext4 partition and one swap partition) using the pup installer non-efi, grub4dos reports "No supported file systems found."

I can see the fossapup files on the drive, but grub4dos can't see the file system.

What bootloader should work in this situation?

My install procedure can be found here:
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 236#p75236

I first had a FAT32 partition, but I read that it was better for Puppy to have a ext4 partition, so I changed it to ext4.
Then someone said GRUB wouldn't work on a ext4 partition so I changed it back to FAT32.
Someone else said that GRUB would work, so I changed it back to ext4.

I would like 2 independent boot drives, my internal drive and my thumb drive.

Thanks!

Last edited by Governor on Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Don't take life too seriously, you will never get out alive.

Tahrbaby

Re: Grub4dos doesn't recognize my nvme drive, what tool should I use?

Post by Tahrbaby »

Governor wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:05 pm

After installing fossapup64.9.5 to my internal nvme SSD drive (formatted to one ext4 partition and one swap partition) using the pup installer non-efi, grub4dos reports "No supported file systems found."

I can see the fossapup files on the drive, but grub4dos can't see the file system.

What bootloader should work in this situation?

Limine bootloader might be a good option.
Failing that,Grub2config is a good bet.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Tahrbaby wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:05 pm

@Governor may have easy OS to run. Since fossapup is already installed on the internal nvme drive, doesn't Easy OS have limine built in? Could it be run from Easy to install the bootloader? And does it have to be EFI? Right now the drive is flagged for bios boot.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

geo_c wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:35 pm
Tahrbaby wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:05 pm

@Governor may have easy OS to run. Since fossapup is already installed on the internal nvme drive, doesn't Easy OS have limine built in? Could it be run from Easy to install the bootloader? And does it have to be EFI? Right now the drive is flagged for bios boot.

EasyOS on a USB? if so, the easiest would be

1. boot into easy
2. download the latest easyOS .img
3. run easyDD to install easy to the nvme.
installing this way will put a boot loader on the drive without having to do any disk prep. fossa will be lost, but it can be easily added back. if there is a fossa savefilefolder on the nvme, it should be moved to the usb, then copied back once fossa is reinstalled

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:05 pm

EasyOS on a USB? if so, the easiest would be

1. boot into easy
2. download the latest easyOS .img
installing this way will put a boot loader on the drive without having to do any disk prep. fossa will be lost, but it can be easily added back. if there is a fossa savefilefolder on the nvme, it should be moved to the usb, then copied back once fossa is reinstalled

Well I have a lot of questions about that, so first the most obvious:

1) Does the Easy image copy to any drive format? Or I guess easyDD basically reformats with whatever the EasyOS image is, which I remember being a 2GB fat32 partition similar to SG2D.

2) Since @Governor can boot fossapup from a USB thumb drive already, Does fossapup just need to be copied and then limine see it? How does that work exactly? The goal is not to run EasyOS, just to get a bootloader that sees the nvme drive and boots fossa from it.

3) Would easyOS need to be run to run a bootloader config utility, or is limine something like SG2D and just finds bootable OS's? (I've never booted EasyOS before. Don't know a thing about it.) Or put another way: can fossapup ddcopy the EasyOS image, and then the bootloader will be ready to go, and see any fossapup that might be installed.?

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Last edited by williwaw on Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geo_c

Post by geo_c »

williwaw wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:51 am

...and I would try to run it to have the boot manager installer make the entry and install limine.

3) Limine installer should find quite a few OS, but Limine itself is just another boot manager with a simple syntax. Limine is not like SG2D....and should be able to run limine installer to update limine.cfg the same as you would with grub4dos.

So just to make sure I'm following correctly.

1) boot into USB EasyOS, download most recent EasyOS .img
2) dd most recent EasyOS .img to nvme drive.
3) grow nvme ext4 partition to fill drive using gparted perhaps?
4) copy fossapup to nvme
3) run Limine config from USB Easy OS to add a menu entry
4) shutdown USB EasyOS and remove thumb drive
5) boot from nvme and if all goes well, choice of most recent EasyOS or fossapup

or do we need to shutdown after step 4 and boot into the most recent EasyOS on nvme before running Limine config?

geo_c

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Not sure how exactly you setup the drive.
But one issue can be what partition table type you used for the drive.
If it was gpt, grub4dos does not support that.

So in using Gparted program to setup the drive.
I would make a new partition table type msdos. (that deletes everything on the drive)
then partition and format it.
Note:
There is a chance that the partition table does need to be gpt type for the computer to properly see it.
But first try it with a msdos type partition table.
The boot loader that Frugalpup Installer uses will support both types. It installs Grub2 boot loader.
This is what has worked for me installing to internal drives of any type.

You need to do all of this from a Booted Fossapup64 installed on a USB stick or a CD.
Use this to boot the computer to a Running Fossapup64.

So you can run all the needed programs in Fossapup64.

Have the Puppy version you want to install ISO file to use as source for the frugal install.

Use the program Frugalpup Installer to do the install to the internal drive.
Fossapup64 9.5 has Frugalpup already in it, but there is a newer version you may want to install and use.
Frugalpup v38 can be gotten here:
viewtopic.php?t=337

This is what I do.

Use Gparted program.
Setup the internal drive with 2 partitions.
First one, small 300MB, fat32 format, flagged boot, esp. (location for boot loader files, boot partition)
Rest of drive, whatever other partition(s), but one ext3 or 4 format. (location to put frugal installs)
(this is UEFI standard requirement, and some computers, look for a fat32 partition, for boot loader files)

Run Frugalpup Installer main program.
On the main window are selection buttons.
Select the Puppy button, to do the install.
Go through install process, selecting to install to the ext formatted partition.
Note:
When selecting the partition to install to.
A window pops up, giving option to make a directory, to put the frugal install in.
I make this directory and usually name it, the name of the Puppy version.
Carefully read that windows info.
Press enter, makes the directory, not the OK button.
complete the install.

When it gets back to the main Frugalpup window.
Select the boot button.
Select the location of the frugal install, on the internal drive. (usually this is already selected and you just have to click on OK)
Select the small 300MB 1st partition, as location to install the boot loader. (may need to scroll the selection window)
Select the boot loader type.
UEFI
mbr ->legacy bios boot
both

You can install the UEFI for UEFI computers.
mbr for legacy bios computers.
both, to boot anything.

The UEFI or both will also install the needed files, to support secure boot enabled in UEFI.

When you first boot the internal drive, on a UEFI computer, with secure boot enabled.
A process will start, to allow you to install the Puppy security key, to the computer.
It will add this Puppy key, to the other ones, loaded on the computer.

Note:
I did have one computer, that would not boot from install on the internal drive, if secure boot was disabled.
So had to make it enabled.
But no problem, installed the UEFI type boot loader, and it provided needed stuff to install needed Puppy security key.

Note:
To put more frugal installs on the same drive.
Run Frugalpup Installer.
Do the complete Frugalpup Installer process again, for the new Puppy version.
When you run the boot loader install.
It will make boot menu entries, for all installs it finds, on the drive.

If this does not work.
Need specific details of exactly what happens as it tries to boot.
It does this, then that happens, then i see this.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

@Governor, I think you should download the latest installer that @bigpup linked above and try his method. The installer in the fossapup iso is almost three years old. You've got a lot better odds with the new one.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:40 am

Not sure how exactly you setup the drive.
But one issue can be what partition table type you used for the drive.
If it was gpt, grub4dos does not support that.

This is how my NVME harddrive looks:
:!: Image

So in using Gparted program to setup the drive.
I would make a new partition table type msdos. (that deletes everything on the drive)
then partition and format it.

:?: But wait a minuite . . . This is pretty drastic, also why is it written all over the internet that ext4 is best?

Note:
There is a chance that the partition table does need to be gpt type for the computer to properly see it.
But first try it with a msdos type partition table.
The boot loader that Frugalpup Installer uses will support both types. It installs Grub2 boot loader.
:!: I was unable to set the partition table due to active partitions. I believe the swap partition is active.
This is what has worked for me installing to internal drives of any type.

You need to do all of this from a Booted Fossapup64 installed on a USB stick or a CD.
Use this to boot the computer to a Running Fossapup64.

So you can run all the needed programs in Fossapup64.

Have the Puppy version you want to install ISO file to use as source for the frugal install.

Use the program Frugalpup Installer to do the install to the internal drive.
Fossapup64 9.5 has Frugalpup already in it, but there is a newer version you may want to install and use.
Frugalpup v38 can be gotten here:
viewtopic.php?t=337

:!: I downloaded it.

This is what I do.

Use Gparted program.
First one, small 300MB, fat32 format, flagged boot, esp. (location for boot loader files, boot partition)
Rest of drive, whatever other partition(s), but one ext3 or 4 format. (location to put frugal installs)
(this is UEFI standard requirement, and some computers, look for a fat32 partition, for boot loader files)

Run Frugalpup Installer main program.
On the main window are selection buttons.
Select the Puppy button, to do the install.
Go through install process, selecting to install to the ext formatted partition.
Note:
When selecting the partition to install to.
A window pops up, giving option to make a directory, to put the frugal install in.
I make this directory and usually name it, the name of the Puppy version.
Carefully read that windows info.
Press enter, makes the directory, not the OK button.
complete the install.

When it gets back to the main Frugalpup window.
Select the boot button.
Select the location of the frugal install, on the internal drive. (usually this is already selected and you just have to click on OK)
Select the small 300MB 1st partition, as location to install the boot loader. (may need to scroll the selection window)
Select the boot loader type.
UEFI
mbr ->legacy bios boot
both

You can install the UEFI for UEFI computers.
mbr for legacy bios computers.
both, to boot anything.

:?: How should the BIOS be set? My BIOS is set to Legacy first with fall back to UEFI. It can also be set for UEFI only

The UEFI or both will also install the needed files, to support secure boot enabled in UEFI.

When you first boot the internal drive, on a UEFI computer, with secure boot enabled.
A process will start, to allow you to install the Puppy security key, to the computer.
It will add this Puppy key, to the other ones, loaded on the computer.

Note:
I did have one computer, that would not boot from install on the internal drive, if secure boot was disabled.
So had to make it enabled.
But no problem, installed the UEFI type boot loader, and it provided needed stuff to install needed Puppy security key.

Note:
To put more frugal installs on the same drive.
Run Frugalpup Installer.
Do the complete Frugalpup Installer process again, for the new Puppy version.
When you run the boot loader install.
It will make boot menu entries, for all installs it finds, on the drive.

If this does not work.
Need specific details of exactly what happens as it tries to boot.
It does this, then that happens, then i see this.

:!: I find it unbelievable that it can be so difficult to install an OS.
So far, I was able to install the boot loader onto my thumb drive in both versions.
I will return with more info.

Governor

Post by Governor »

@williwaw

If I need to download and install OS #2 in order to install OS #1, there is something seriously amiss with OS #1. Am I right?
I downloaded Limine bootloader in the .pet version which is the only version I found, and installed it. Fine, except it says no menu entry created. I have no idea how to find and launch it.

Governor

Post by Governor »

@bigpup

I installed the bootloader in both versions to my thumb drive. It was not a success.
Where I previously had 17 choices on boot, now I have only:
Boot the OS
Enter BIOS
Turn off the computer
Restart the computer

And then I tried booting from the CD and that gave me big problems. Every time I tried to change the screen settings, the computer froze and after a few seconds both screens went black. So I had to press the power button.

Only when I chose the "do not use save file" option, was I able to boot normally. This leads me to believe that Puppy is searching for a save file even if I do not specifically choose one.

UPDATE:
I reinstalled Puppy to the thumb drive and choose the non-UEFI bootloader. It boots ok now, although there are 3 fewer choices in the boot menu.

Original boot menu on thumb drive, which appears to be the same as the boot menu on the CD:

Newest boot menu on thumb drive:

Governor

Post by Governor »

Use Gparted program.

I now have a 300MB FAT32 partition, a 342GB ext4 partition and a 134GB swap partition.
https://postimg.cc/nMNkJtX6
I can't understand why I need to erase it all. Please explain?

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:07 pm

I now have a 300MB FAT32 partition, a 342GB ext4 partition and a 134GB swap partition.

You may not need to erase it. @bigpup said it needs to be partitioned a certain way. If it's already setup in that manner, then you shouldn't need to erase, unless something is not exactly setup like we think.

@Governor I'm glad you re-installed bootable fossapup to your USB thumb drive. But why did you install a new bootloader to the USB thumb drive in the first place?

Maybe there was a good reason I'm missing. I didn't notice an imperative to mess with your thumb drive boot arrangement in @bigpup's method, other than loading the new frugal installer pet utility in fossapup to be able to work on your nvme drive. That's a utility for installing bootloaders, and you shouldn't need to alter the bootloader on the USB. I feel like it's these kind of misunderstandings that are making your set up attempts confusing and complicated.

Also consider a few things:
1) Does your bios setting have "secure boot" enabled?

2) When running any bootloader setup utility (frugal, non-efi, grub4dos, grub2config, etc) on the nvme, I advise to NOT have the bootloader installer search for bootable OS's on any other drive but the nvme drive, and then install the bootloader to the nvme drive only. My reasoning is this: If I want to boot a puppy installed to USB, I plug in the USB drive and set the bios to look at USB before internal drive, no need to boot a USB puppy from a bootloader on nvme.

3) Using swap partitions can prevent you from doing format operations on a drive. Your USB fossapup might be mounting the swap partition on nvme. I use swapfiles instead. A swap partition or swap file can mounted and unmounted from within fossapup while running it.

4) Because puppies can be booted from just about anywhere, it's necessary to get inside the logic of your personalized setup. If you want an OS that's easy to install, the Windows installer will do it all for you while you sit and wait, and then it will completely own your hard drive. Mainstream linux OS's will be mostly geared towards "full installs" where the filesystem resides on it's own partition. In both these cases, those OS's claim ownership of drives and partitions. Puppy is not like that, but as a result it's necessary to understand partitions, bootloaders, bios settings, and how they interact before making choices. A puppy can be configured to boot from any drive and load your personalized settings from another drive if desired. That's an incredible capability, but it includes a lot of variables. Capabilities like that are in no way simple. In the beginning you want to learn how to do a single install and manipulate the savefile on that single install. Your USB fossapup install was a success using a simple non-efi bootloader.

Now the goal is to see what variables are preventing various utilities from loading a working bootloader on your particular nvme. Again as I have stated, process of elimination simplifies the whole procedure. It helps to do one thing at a time, and reboot when possible to consider what the effects of various actions are. It's important to learn the concepts before tackling the implementation.

geo_c

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Governor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:19 am

@williwaw

If I need to download and install OS #2 in order to install OS #1, there is something seriously amiss with OS #1. Am I right?

maybe not OS#1, but the bootloader you report does not work

If your objective is to find a boot loader that works with your nvme, and you already have the most recent easy on a usb, along with a the most recent limine to install, then no need to download easy a second time. both limine and limine installer are in active development.

I made an erroneous assumption that you were having trouble partitioning and setting up your drive. I saw something in another thread to the effect you were starting over and thought perhaps dding an img would be the easiest way to get your drive partitioned and have limine installed at the same time.

If you have your nvme drive prepped, and have a top level dir with the fossa files onboard, and just need to install limine, then use limine installer from your USB.
I will edit my previous post accordingly.

Governor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:19 am

I downloaded Limine bootloader in the .pet version which is the only version I found, and installed it. Fine, except it says no menu entry created. I have no idea how to find and launch it.

1. you should post a screenshot of rox opened to the directory where your frugal resides.
2. copy and paste your limine.cfg. the </> tool in the editor will allow the paste to render correctly.

normally I like to make the fat partition as the first partition on the drive. from your screen shot it appears to be first, but is labeled nvme01p3. dunno if that has caused a problem or not, but you should be able to find limine.cfg in the top level of the partition you directed limine installer to install to.

another reason I suggested making a new EasyOS install on your nvme is that Barry recently included improvements that allowed a troublesome nvme to work for another user. Not saying this is the case for your nvme, but if your nvme is not supported with your other choices somehow.....
I think this is why @Tahrbaby may have suggested limine

can you temporarily replace the nvme with an older internal drive at least until you get a workflow going that allows you to install your puppy of choice on an older internal drive?

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:10 pm

You may not need to erase it. @bigpup said it needs to be partitioned a certain way. If it's already setup in that manner, then you shouldn't need to erase, unless something is not exactly setup like we think.

@Governor I'm glad you re-installed bootable fossapup to your USB thumb drive. But why did you install a new bootloader to the USB thumb drive in the first place?

:!: @bigpup said:"You can install the UEFI for UEFI computers. mbr for legacy bios computers. both, to boot anything."
:!: So I figured why not cover all bases.

Maybe there was a good reason I'm missing. I didn't notice an imperative to mess with your thumb drive boot arrangement in @bigpup's method, other than loading the new frugal installer pet utility in fossapup to be able to work on your nvme drive. That's a utility for installing bootloaders, and you shouldn't need to alter the bootloader on the USB. I feel like it's these kind of misunderstandings that are making your set up attempts confusing and complicated.

Also consider a few things:
1) Does your bios setting have "secure boot" enabled?

2) When running any bootloader setup utility (frugal, non-efi, grub4dos, grub2config, etc) on the nvme, I advise to NOT have the bootloader installer search for bootable OS's on any other drive but the nvme drive, and then install the bootloader to the nvme drive only. My reasoning is this: If I want to boot a puppy installed to USB, I plug in the USB drive and set the bios to look at USB before internal drive, no need to boot a USB puppy from a bootloader on nvme.

:!: I originally had the NVME drive in the bootloader on the thumb drive and this is what I got:
:!: Image

3) Using swap partitions can prevent you from doing format operations on a drive. Your USB fossapup might be mounting the swap partition on nvme. I use swapfiles instead. A swap partition or swap file can mounted and unmounted from within fossapup while running it.

:!: Really? I was convinced a swap partition would be best.

4) Because puppies can be booted from just about anywhere, it's necessary to get inside the logic of your personalized setup. If you want an OS that's easy to install, the Windows installer will do it all for you while you sit and wait, and then it will completely own your hard drive. Mainstream linux OS's will be mostly geared towards "full installs" where the filesystem resides on it's own partition. In both these cases, those OS's claim ownership of drives and partitions. Puppy is not like that, but as a result it's necessary to understand partitions, bootloaders, bios settings, and how they interact before making choices. A puppy can be configured to boot from any drive and load your personalized settings from another drive if desired. That's an incredible capability, but it includes a lot of variables. Capabilities like that are in no way simple. In the beginning you want to learn how to do a single install and manipulate the savefile on that single install. Your USB fossapup install was a success using a simple non-efi bootloader.

:!: I will check if the BIOS setting is secure boot enabled.

Now the goal is to see what variables are preventing various utilities from loading a working bootloader on your particular nvme. Again as I have stated, process of elimination simplifies the whole procedure. It helps to do one thing at a time, and reboot when possible to consider what the effects of various actions are. It's important to learn the concepts before tackling the implementation.

I have to build up my stamina before I power off, because it is such a hassle to reconfigure my settings every time I boot. It takes a lot out of me.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Use Gparted program.

If this is how it is setup right now than you do not need to do anything to it.
But 134GB is way too big for a swap partition.
Usual rule is make the swap partition 2 to 3 times the size of the computers RAM.
Example:
Ram is 4 GB
Swap is 8 to 12 GB

Note:
If you do a complete new setup of the drive.
New partition table, partition, and format.
That tells us for sure exactly at what condition the drive is.
you would be surprised how this can fix strange problems.

I said nothing about doing anything to a Fossapup64 USB stick install.
The Puppy ISO has everything needed to boot from an install on a USB stick or a CD.
When doing a simple live install (putting all the files in the ISO) on the USB stick.
It has a specific boot loader and files provided in the Puppy ISO for doing boots with this type install.
That boot loaders boot menu has a lot of different boot menu entries to choose from.

When you do a frugal install using Frugalpup Installer.
It only makes a boot loader menu with what is needed to do normal boot and less other options.
That was the choice made by the person that setup the boot loader that is provided in Frugalpup Installer.

What I posted was how to specifically do the install to the internal drive.

My BIOS is set to Legacy first with fall back to UEFI. It can also be set for UEFI only

OK. Now that I know this.

The type boot loader Frugalpup Installer needs to install is the non-UEFI bootloader.

Note:
In a terminal the command:

Code: Select all

swapoff -a

This will turn off using the swap and the drive should now be usable by Gparted.

Code: Select all

swapon -a

will turn it back on.

Swap is automatically active when Puppy boots, if there is a swap to use.

Why is this different from a live install to a USB stick?
Because a frugal install is a different way to install.
The boot loader needs to be setup for a frugal install and the way it works.

Forum Global Moderator

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:06 pm

I have to build up my stamina before I power off, because it is such a hassle to reconfigure my settings every time I boot. It takes a lot out of me.

If your USB fossapup install is working again correctly, then make a save folder on the USB stick.

Like I said, learn to make an installation and work with the save folder on that same partition, and then branch out. Once you learn how to do that, any pup install on another drive can use that save folder, BUT, my preference is to COPY the save folder to the new install partition, not try and mount it across partitions (which can be done, but it's gotta be done right to avoid getting confused)

I ran puppy from USB for years when I still had windows installed on machines, the only drawback is it's slower because of the read/write speed of USB ports and drives. It also has the advantage of deciding when to write the changes of your save to USB. So if things get a little bungled simply choose not to save it on shutdown.

geo_c

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I will check if the BIOS setting is secure boot enabled.

Usually setting the UEFI setup to boot in legacy mode will also disable secure boot.

Just keep it set to legacy mode and try the install to internal drive again.

Now you know, that the Frugalpup Installer boot loader type needs to be mbr ->legacy bios boot, if the computer is booting in legacy mode.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I assume you are talking about booting with the Fossapup64 installed on the USB stick and settings for how it runs.
When you shut it down.
Should be asked if you want to make a save.
Make a save and place it on the USB.
All the settings will be there when you next boot it.

If you have not figured this out.
specific statement are what we need.
We do not need to have to try and figure out exactly what you are telling us.

This is an exact statement:
I have to build up my stamina before I power off the USB stick Fossapup64, because it is such a hassle to reconfigure my settings every time I boot. It takes a lot out of me.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Swap partition or swap file?
That is really your choice.
Both work.

My feeling on using a swap partition is that is all the partition is used for.
Nothing else can use it but swap function.
It only is used when needed for something going into the swap.

A swap file is just a file on a partition.
Everything can read and write to that partition.
So stuff is always being done on it.
That partition is constantly in use.
Anything can happen to it.
file system corruption, partition table corruption, file fragmentation, etc.....

Forum Global Moderator

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

bigpup wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:07 pm

Both work.

file system corruption, partition table corruption, file fragmentation, etc.....

That's a whole other discussion, but I think what's important in order for @Governor to get a handle on the nvme, is to not have any nvme partitions mounted when running fossapup from USB.

So using @bigpup's suggested swapoff commands is recommended before looking a the nvme drive with gparted. If running from USB fossapup, gparted shouldn't show any nvme partitions locked.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:39 pm

I assume you are talking about booting with the Fossapup64 installed on the USB stick and settings for how it runs.
When you shut it down.
Should be asked if you want to make a save.
Make a save and place it on the USB.
All the settings will be there when you next boot it.

If you have not figured this out.
specific statement are what we need.
We do not need to have to try and figure out exactly what you are telling us.

This is an exact statement:
I have to build up my stamina before I power off the USB stick Fossapup64, because it is such a hassle to reconfigure my settings every time I boot. It takes a lot out of me.

I have tried the savefile and it has not been working. Well, it worked partially a few times but that's about it. I will keep trying.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Governor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:30 pm

I have tried the savefile and it has not been working. Well, it worked partially a few times but that's about it. I will keep trying.

Let's refine that statement a bit. By answering a couple questions.

1) Back before this topic was started, and you had a running fossapup on USB thumb drive, were you able to make a save folder on the USB drive?

2) If the answer to question #1 is "yes," where did you save it? (the default location would be on the USB thumb drive in the same directory as the fossapup system. It would be found in /mnt/home/)

3) If the answer to question #1 is "no," let's forget about the internal nvme drive for a good while and help you figure out how to use the USB fossapup install, make a pupsave folder in the directory of that install, and boot into that pupsave folder located in the fossapup directory on the USB thumb drive.

I had to do some typing and editing to attempt to be as clear as possible about what I'm asking. We could save a lot of time and energy if we both do that.

geo_c

Governor

Post by Governor »

@geo_c

bigpup wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:07 pm

Both work.

My feeling on using a swap partition is that is all the partition is used for.
Nothing else can use it but swap function.
It only is used when needed for something going into the swap.

Everything can read and write to that partition.
So stuff is always being done on it.
That partition is constantly in use.

These are the exact thoughts I had when I created the swap partition.

I read that UEFI boot ought to be more secure, so is there any reason not to use that?

I discovered file corruption on the files I copied from the ext4 partition to a FAT32 drive and back again later after re-formatting.
When I tried to unzip gz and xz files, there were errors, and before I had copied them to the FAT32 drive, these files processed error-free.

Also, one .rtf file which I opened on the FAT32 drive got corrupted. I do not understand how this can happen.

My understanding is this, please tell me if I am wrong:
When a file is opened in 'a program', the file on disk is unchanged since the file is opened in memory.
So if the program crashes while the file is open, there should be no corruption.
If changes are made to file when the program crashes, the changes may be lost, but there should be no corruption.
When a 'program' crashes while in the process of writing changes to the file on disk, is when corruption happens, AFAIK.

Since I will be copying files to and from my internal drive to FAT32 USB drives, I am wondering if the best choice for me is a FAT32 and not a ext4 partition?

Are there known problems, or risks when copying files to and from FAT32 and EXT partitions?

Governor

Post by Governor »

geo_c wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:39 pm
Governor wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:30 pm

Let's refine that statement a bit. By answering a couple questions.

1) Back before this topic was started, and you had a running fossapup on USB thumb drive, were you able to make a save folder on the USB drive?

2) If the answer to question #1 is "yes," where did you save it? (the default location would be on the USB thumb drive in the same directory as the fossapup system. It would be found in /mnt/home/)

3) If the answer to question #1 is "no," let's forget about the internal nvme drive for a good while and help you figure out how to use the USB fossapup install, make a pupsave folder in the directory of that install, and boot into that pupsave folder located in the fossapup directory on the USB thumb drive.

I had to do some typing and editing to attempt to be as clear as possible about what I'm asking. We could save a lot of time and energy if we both do that.

I try to save the files on the drive that I booted from. The choice does not always come up to load a savefile on boot. When it does and I choose one, it restores some of my settings, but so far not all.

I will keep trying.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I try to save the files on the drive that I booted from. The choice does not always come up to load a savefile on boot. When it does and I choose one, it restores some of my settings, but so far not all.

If you are booting and being asked which save to use.
You have more than one save.
Probably one is messed up or was made not having every setting.

I assume you are still trying to use Fossapup64 9.5
Look on the drive for fossapupsave files.
If you find more than one.
You need to delete them all or figure out the one that works OK and delete all the other ones.

When you boot and the boot menu pops up.

Use the first entry that should be normal boot.
If it finds a save to use it will use it.
If no save is found.
After first shutdown, it will ask to make a save and if making a save.
Next time you use this entry, it will find and use the save.

Do not use an entry that says something about RAM only. (I know, bad name to use, RAM only)
That makes it boot not using a save even if there is one to use.
This is an entry to be able to boot, not using a save, if something is wrong with the save.
every time you shutdown, it will ask to make a save.

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Are there known problems, or risks when copying files to and from FAT32 and EXT partitions?

Not if you are booted and running a Puppy version using the file manger it uses.

But the drive or any drive, the stuff is on, has to physically be working OK.

I read that UEFI boot ought to be more secure, so is there any reason not to use that?

The computer is using UEFI, but there are optional settings it can use, for how it boots.
Puppy versions do not come with the needed stuff to support UEFI with secure boot enabled.
So for Puppy, it works best having secure boot disabled or UEFI set to use legacy mode.

You are booting with an operating system you are providing, so you already know it is secure and safe to use. (Puppy Linux)

Forum Global Moderator

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Where are you at, trying to get an install on the internal drive, and it booting to a working desktop?

If we ask you a question.
You need to specifically answer it!

Forum Global Moderator

Governor

Post by Governor »

bigpup wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:18 pm

If you are booting and being asked which save to use.
You have more than one save.
Probably one is messed up or was made not having every setting.

I assume you are still trying to use Fossapup64 9.5
Look on the drive for fossapupsave files.
If you find more than one.
You need to delete them all or figure out the one that works OK and delete all the other ones.

When you boot and the boot menu pops up.

Use the first entry that should be normal boot.
If it finds a save to use it will use it.
If no save is found.
After first shutdown, it will ask to make a save and if making a save.
Next time you use this entry, it will find and use the save.

Do not use an entry that says something about RAM only. (I know, bad name to use, RAM only)
That makes it boot not using a save even if there is one to use.
This is an entry to be able to boot, not using a save, if something is wrong with the save.
every time you shutdown, it will ask to make a save.

Great info. I will check my BIOS. I have been choosing the 'copy to RAM' option because I wanted the OS to run as fast as possible.
Is it possible to load a saved configuration after boot?

Return to “Beginners Help”