Auto-Hardware detection-installation of nVidia driver

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Auto-Hardware detection-installation of nVidia driver

Post by Clarity »

This Linux distro offers their steps for support in auto-detection installation when a nVidia card is present.

fredx181

Re: Auto-Hardware detection-installation of nVidia driver

Post by fredx181 »

Clarity wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:06 am

This Linux distro offers their steps for support in auto-detection installation when a nVidia card is present.

Why post this ? Is it useful for Puppy users ? I doubt it, but correct me if I'm wrong.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

That is kind of what getnvidia program does.

All you have to do is go to Nvidia support-> drivers and download the correct driver run package for the hardware.
Have the Puppy version devx and kernel sources SFS's loaded for compiling.

How to do it in Puppy is explained in this topic:
viewtopic.php?t=123

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

fredx181 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:47 pm

Why post this ?

+1

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Do current WoofCE PUPs auto-detect and load nVidia support when nvidia video cards are present in the system on a pristine boot?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Heh.

I think the slickest 'auto-detect-download-and-install' routine I've ever seen probably belongs to ZorinOS. The two young brothers who produce it have got it worked out to a tee.....regardless of card.....and it just works, EVERY time during install.

But despite being an Nvidia user, I don't think I would WANT to see something of this complexity built into Puppy. I know where Clarity's coming from with this; to attract as many complete noobs to Puppy as we can by making everything fool-proof & as easy as possible.....but it's rather getting away from the whole point for Puppy's existence, isn't it? Half the fun of 'tinkering' IS the reward of something behaving as expected BECAUSE you got your tinkering right, no?

Perhaps I have an "odd" way of looking at things. But the kernel auto-detects and loads the 'nouveau' driver as a matter of course if the proprietary driver isn't present. To me, the 'official' driver is just the 'icing on the cake'; the kernel sets-up a fully-functional system without any extra assistance. And the 'official' driver is NOT always the best solution. Not everybody will necessarily WANT it.

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:59 pm

...the kernel auto-detects and loads the 'nouveau' driver as a matter of course if the proprietary driver isn't present. ...

Yes, this is true and it works. The primary reason for nouveau is that for decades nVidia ignored, then did NOT play nice with Linux; producing ONLY for MS/Apple platforms. Past couple of years show that they ARE willing to change such that "playing nice" is becoming their new reality. Everyone with nVidia in their systems benefits when a manufacturer dedicates knowledgeable resources to make these things happen for the expressed accurate behavior of their product within an operating system they intend it for.

Looking over the forum of the decades within the Linux world brings indications that detection has always been at issue primarily due to the not-so-niceness of nVidia ignoring Linux community.

These recent commitments by them intends to bring their focus in insuring good use of their product in Linux as they too, now, strive to want inclusion in the Wayland video future.

I post this so that members are aware that more nvidia attention is active in the Linux world such that nVidia video card support will equal Intel-AMD card support.

This knowledge could be useful, IMHO.

This leads to my question: Do current WoofCE PUPs auto-detect and load nVidia support when nvidia video cards are present in the system on a pristine boot?

I think your answer is CURRENT WoofCE does NOT or your answer is NOT planned as yet or your are recommending that it not be considered??? (And yes, I know there are ways to ADD nVidia's driver to a Linux system as well as some Linux distros have nVidia built-in, OOTB. I believe @exton is a member who produces one-such.)

So, this is merely some hardware information that some might find good.

Do I have systems with nvidia cards? Only 3. 1 production and 2 tests: all 6+ years old.

Return to “Hardware”