How to install libqt5gui5 in Tahrpup 6.0.5?

Moderator: Forum moderators

Cowbboy

How to install libqt5gui5 in Tahrpup 6.0.5?

Post by Cowbboy »

Halloo
How do I install apt install libqt5gui5 on my dog Tahrpup 6.0.5?

mikeslr

Re: Libqt5gui5

Post by mikeslr »

Cowbboy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:37 am

Halloo
How do I install apt install libqt5gui5 on my dog Tahrpup 6.0.5?? :?

You don't.
Tahrpup does not have apt, nor can it be installed. IIRC, there was a 'debiandog' binary compatible with Ubuntu Trusty Tahr. Not sure what it's name actually was; but it did have apt. I don't think that will help you as (a) Ubuntu's tahr repositories are now archived which AFAIK that means no longer accessible via apt; and (b) Qt5 came later so wouldn't be in those repositories anyway.
Perhaps more importantly, How did you discover that you needed libqt5gui5? I'm guessing you tried to run some application via a terminal and got a 'missing lib' report. Chances are if libqt5gui5 is missing, so also will be libqt5core5 and at least a half dozen other libraries. Locate the application's binary; Right-Click it and select ListDD from the pop-up menu. Click the 'missing' tab at the bottom. A report of all missing libraries will be presented. Before trying to hunt them down, note if any relate to glibc. If so, your out of luck. An OS can only have one version of glibc.

It is possible to obtain qt5 libs to use under tahrpup. To do so, you search for them at pkgs.org, hopefully find links to Ubuntu's repositories for latter versions such as Bionic Beaver, download the packages, pick just the specific qt5 libraries you need and likely have to create a symbolic link to each of them; and spend hours without knowing that your efforts won't fail.

Please tell us what you are trying to accomplish including why you've chosen Tahrpup6.0.5 and what application you are trying to run. See bigpup's post here, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... p=816#p816

There are many newer Puppys and 'debian dogs employing apt' under which you will find it easier to obtain applications and which are almost as light on resources as tahrpup.

I recently remastered tahrpup64 to bring it as close to current usability as it can be. https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 290#p72290. Even so, read the thread noting its limitations. I created it for that rare computer which can't use newer Puppys.

And why 32bit? It's increasing difficult to find 32-bit web browsers acceptable to most web-sites.

Cowbboy

Post by Cowbboy »

Hi thanks for answering
As you can see, I don't know much (yet) about distributions.

I need to automate some things in an application called Tibia, for that I've been using python. I've been doing some tests on other distributions and it worked, but I don't like the time to load Tibia. I need a distro that loads the application as quickly as possible. I've been trying to find the most minimal Puppy distribution possible, that's why I chose Tahrpup6.0.5, but I'm not sure.... Do you recommend me any others? I wouldn't mind if only Python and Tibia worked.

About the lib... I managed to download the package and he really asked me for others, I'll download them all and come back here to tell you if it worked.

Cowbboy

Post by Cowbboy »

I downloaded all the requested libs, but now we have another error .... When I try to run the application this message appears.... ./client: symbol lookup error: ./client: undefined symbol _ZNt18basic_stringstreamIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEC1Ev

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

That symbol is a 'mangled' one. Good luck guessing it but most likely everything it links to will require an update. Tahr is extremely old.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Cowboy,

Spent some time trying to find a download link for Tibia, discovering (I think) version 10 was now deprecated while version 11 to be found on github is not supported there; and while a package somewhere appears to be a portable, the only thing I found was an installer. And I'm not going to install it just to figure out what's going on.

The only perhaps useful information I stumbled upon was that a lot of changes took place in 2018.Ubuntu Bionic Beaver (to which BionicPup is binary compatible) was first published in April of 2018. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases Bionic Beaver's repositories are still actively searchable and can be accessed using Bionic Beaver's Setup>Puppy Package Manager. (Like Tahrpup's, the Ubuntu repos for Xenialpup --first published in 2016-- can not). Typing 'qt5' in BionicPup's PPM reveals those libraries can be downloaded (and installed*/**).

Additional resource 'creep' occurs with every iteration: Newly available hardware support more 'bells & whistles' so devs create software to use them but that software requires more RAM. IIRC, however, Bionicpup64 only uses about 50 Mbs more RAM on boot-up than tahrpup.

You've never told us anything about your computer, see https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... p=816#p816. Most importantly, how much RAM does it have; and can you increase it. At anyrate, Bionicpup is likely your best bet.

_____
* I'm wondering if the below problem with the lib/x86_64-linux-gnu folders is effecting your use of the Tibia package. That is, the qt5 libraries were included but Tahrpup doesn't find them. Unfortunately, Menu>Filesystems>pfind wouldn't find them, either. What you'll have to do is make a visual examination. File-browse to and look at the top level, in /usr/ and in /usr/local. Do any folders with the name lib/x86_64-linux-gnu appear?

** Puppy Package Manager will install debs from Ubuntu's repos. But I don't recommend that on 64-bit systems. Rather you should set it to download 'All and dependencies'; then copy/move them into a named folder, e.g. Tibia, and use PaDS, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 6355#p6355 to create an SFS. In developing 64-bit systems Ubuntu, itself, chose to place 64-bit libraries in folders named lib/x86_64-linux-gnu. Puppys can't find those folders. So libraries had to be moved from there to /lib folders with lib/x86_64-linux-gnu being symbolic links to the /lib folder. PaDS automates that process. But as you mentioned Tibia employs python, you won't be able to just load a Tibia.sfs (or a Qt5 SFS with python components if you're running Tibia as a portable). SFSes have low priority and any 'installed' python version will be found first, attempted to be used, and fail.

Once you have an SFS, you can Left-Click it, select View Contents, and from the window which opens copy all its contents into another folder, e.g, Tibia-11 or Qt5Bionic. Then Right-Click that folder and from the pop-up menu select 'dir2pet'. That will give you an install-able pet. But before you run dir2pet, take a look at /usr/share/applications/????.desktop via a text editor. Does it's Icon= point to an existing icon? Does its Categories= argument name one recognized by Puppy, e.g. Game

Return to “Tahr”