Can't get HP printer to work Cups/Hplip

Moderator: Forum moderators

Cobra

Can't get HP printer to work Cups/Hplip

Post by Cobra »

I'm new to Linux as of a few days ago when I installed BionicPup32 (USB formatted with Rufus no partition) on a Dell Dimension 8400. I've spent the last few days having a good time troubleshooting and trying different things. System has Pentium 4 3ghz and 1gig of ram. I've gotten everything working and connecting to Ethernet using Palemoon. So it's going pretty good I even ordered 4g of ram for the system to pep it up just for fun.

I just can't get Cups to list my HP Envy 4500 printer driver. I installed hplip-data_3.17.10+repack0-5 from PPM but I do not 'know where it is stored at. I do have a "save" file on my usb but I can not find it there.

Does Cups just automatically see hplip or do I need to open or run it?

I also downloaded the hplip-3.22.6 tar.gz and hplip-3.22.10.run to a USB from hp web site but the instructions are for Ubuntu. Will those instructions still work on bionic?

When I try to execute hplip-3.22.10.run the terminal says I dont have gcc installed. I read on other posts that drev was the tool that compiles and I get gcc that way. Ok I don't know :D

Sorry it's probably something really simple but I'm a super noob.

Thanks to everyone still supporting this distro I love taking these older systems and tinkering and super glad I found bionic .

ozsouth

Re: Can't get HP printer to work Cups/Hplip

Post by ozsouth »

@Cobra - welcome to Puppy.
Cups is accessed via your web browser. Input 127.0.0.1:631 in the address bar at top, & choose Administration, then Add Printer.
Being usb, it will hopefully be 'discovered'. If so, should be simple to set up from there. The .run files are usually not for Puppy.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

I found hplip-3.22.6/PPD/hpcups/hp-envy_4500_series.ppd.gz
and saved it to downloads.

I opened this ppd through the browse button in Cups. It looked like everything was good but each time I try and print under Jobs it lists 'Pages' says 'unknown' and 'State' says 'stopped'.

Under Printers in Cups under Status it says: Idle "file /user/lib/cups/filter/hpcups" not available: No such file or directory. Which is interesting because I had saved the ppd file to downloads so I'm not sure what happens with the path. Do I extract the entire library?

Maybe it is because bionic from USB is in root and no user for exists?

Damn I really though I had it.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

@ozsouth

I tried that several times but my printer is not listed in the short list of HP printers in cups. From searching the forum I installed hplip from ppm. But I do not know where ppm put that file. So when I go to Cups and click Browse to locate it I can't find it.

The one I found in the above post was on my hplip file on my a separate USB ( not my boot USB) that I saved to downloads. Which then gives the path error.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

In Cups Printers / Status it says: Idle "file /user/lib/cups/filter/hpcups" not available: No such file or directory.

I created a dir that reflects the path above it now reads
"/user/lib/cups/filter/hpcups is a directory "

But still not print

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

I have the same printer and had the same issue. Wish I could remember. seems like I had to install and tweak a certain way with HP Envy 4500 Series, hpcups 3.21.2

I'll go back and look through things.

spiritwild

Post by spiritwild »

I'm running Duv64 so I'm not sure whats available on yours . mines on a network and not directly connected to this pc
I needed hpijs-ppd and hplip, then I could only connect through socket://.

Otherwise it just got a filter failed error.

Description: HP ENVY 4510 series
Connection: socket://192.168.1.*****
Driver: HP Envy 4500 Series, hpcups 3.21.2 (color, 2-sided printing)

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Did you actually INSTALL the printer through CUPS--> Cups for Administrators --> Adding Printers and Classes ??

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

@Geek3579 yes.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Cobra - the package listed below may help. Once downloaded, install by clicking on it in ROX-Filer. Then the Cups via browser method may work. See: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... 9_i386.deb

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

@ozsouth

I downloaded it and clicked on it in rox.

"Hlpip-print-scan_3.17.9_i 386.deb Failed to install"

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Here is a video of the process I'm going through. Tell me if I'm doing something wrong. Sorry about the poor quality vid, I was filming and mousing at the same time.

peterw

Post by peterw »

When selecting preferences CUPs default is letter size and you need to set it to A4. Make sure that you cancel all the jobs before you try that setting.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@Cobra - You seem to be doing the right thing up to selecting the printer. You should then Add printer, not select ppd.
May still be the wrong driver. Could try: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... 9-i686.pet

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Cobra wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:52 pm

This package installs correctly for me in BIonicPup32.

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

rcrsn51 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:10 am
Cobra wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:52 pm

This package installs correctly for me in BIonicPup32.

In that case @Cobra, have you tried booting into a clean Bionic32 with no savefile or folder, and install the .deb package? Could be the prior fiddling around with cups changed something.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

Another thought...

Years ago with tahrpup, I needed to load a special Hplip driver. Since then the PPM has been adequate to task.

In my current situation with Bionicpup64, it is sufficient to instal hplip 3.17.10 from the Puppy Package Manager,BUT I also needed to also load hplip-data ( hplip-data.3.17.10+repack-0.5).

You might try using a scanner program (if the machine scans, that is ) to see if it connects - which AFAIK doesnt need HPLIP.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

@peterw I tried the A4 option after making sure all jobs where canceled and it did not print.

@ozsouth Tried to add printer with out browsing for ppd. Same result. I downloaded your file but it failed to install. Why are all these failing to install?

@Geek3579 I have already downloaded Hplip-data it was the only package in ppm that would download, hplip -gui and hplip _ 3.17.10+repack 5 would not download.

@rcrsn51 not sure what I'm doing wrong.

@geo_c I might just start over and try to make a partitioned USB (my current USD is all formatted in fat32) maybe I need a partition?

Wow thanks for all the responses I really appreciate it.

Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Wow I got it to work, with alot of help from all of you. I feel like I have harnessed the power of a million Suns! Linux bends the knee to me now!!! Haha man I spent alot of hours and my Girlfriend was ready to move out with how much time I was spending on this. 3:00am I can finally go to sleep. :lol:

I made a new 32gb USB with Rufus and this time created 8gb partition in fat32 and the second in .ext(Rufus does automatically with the rest of usb). I then created a save folder right away on the second .ext partition. (Thanks to the instructions here in the forum). I then just tried to set up the printer and print and this time it sent the job and said completed, yet my printer was just stuck on "now printing" but nothing came out. So I downloaded @ozsouth hplip-print-scan i386. Went to printer setup and all the other printer drivers now had showed up. My driver was already selected so I just finish the set up and printed a test page and it F ing worked !!

Man thanks to everyone who replied I'm am not super computer savvy and there is no way in hell I would have figured it out the way things we're going. Maybe if I had done a full install instead of boot from usb it would have been smoother sailing, but what ever doesn't kill you or make you quit in this case makes you stronger.

I owe alot to those who took time to respond and make all those other posts over the years that I read.

Thank you all!!

Return to “Bionic”