How to run Puppy...iso in a VirtualBox with Save Session?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

RyPuppy

How to run Puppy...iso in a VirtualBox with Save Session?

Post by RyPuppy »

I am launching Puppy...iso in a VirtualBox running on a Windows-11 platform. It will be nice to restart PuppyLinux from ISO with configuration changes read from a folder on Windows desktop.

How do I create and manage SAVE-SESSION folder on a Windows desktop when ISO launched from VirtualBox ?

Geek3579

Re: How to run Puppy...iso in a VirtualBox with Save Session?

Post by Geek3579 »

Why do you want a savefolder on windows desktop? I cant see any value there, if it were possible.

To have a Puppy savefolder/savefile in VBox you need to
0) Create a new virtual machine with the ISO added
1) Create a blank HDD as part of the startup - eg 8GB - best if compressed
2) Start the virtual machine and then run GParted - it should find sda as the only accessible drive
3) You need to use GParted to create a partition table ( msdos will be OK for a data partition)
4) Create an new partition - eg sda1 as a ext4 partiton ( for a savefolder - preferred) for the data
5) Save changes to a savefolder on shutdown, which should select sda1 as the target partition

Note, this is not strictly a frugal install on sda. A different process is required.

RyPuppy

Post by RyPuppy »

@Geek3579 Thanks for your reply.
I am working towards building Puppy from Woof-CE code on my local desktop / laptop. I have limited to access to my son's Gaming Desktop with 64GB Ram, 11th gen Intel CPU etc... but running Windows-11 O/S.

It will be nice to launch Fossapup64-9.5.iso in a VirtualBox and run my build. Folder sharing or Copy/paste between Host & client within VirtualBox does not work as is. Ability to save session may have helped in this case.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

File transfer is quite easy in Puppy via PureFTP as server (host) and gftp as client (Virtual machine). Most puppy's have these OOTB.

Just launch the Pureftp in the host, obtain the host IP address from the taskbar i/net icon. Launch Gftp in the virtual machine and type in the IP address with port 21 and password woofwoof (for the host Puppy). Gftp allows the virtual machine to navigate the host/server's filesystem easily. Transfer can be both ways. Gftp is a simpler version of filezilla, but works really well.

Actually, I use this transfer to make a frugal install of Puppy to the Virtual HDD, as one has to pass the ISO file and the grub2-conf .pet to the virtual machine to make the installation work. I have tried a shortcut using stickpup, but it always looks for a USB stick, not a HDD. Not sure about Frugalpup...

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Just passing by, so may be completely off base. IIRC, the usual instructions for running a Puppy in a Virtual Machine is to first create a virtual hard-drive, format it, then do a frugal install into the virtual hard-drive. That's were the SaveFile/Folder will be created. Frugalpup (not its stickpup option) should work as should grub2config. P.S. I've never done it.

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

You can't have the VM create a save session on your desktop, virtualbox doesn't allow this sort of thing, as well this means your VM is not contained and therefore not virtual. A key point of a VM is that its a machine that can be wiped clean anytime, and only exists with that boundary.

As said, create a virtual hard drive, and create a save file or session there. The puppy ISO should be able to locate it afterwards, assuming the iso and virtual hard drive is configured to be present.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

RyPuppy

Post by RyPuppy »

Phoenix wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:57 pm

You can't have the VM create a save session on your desktop, virtualbox doesn't allow this sort of thing, as well this means your VM is not contained and therefore not virtual. A key point of a VM is that its a machine that can be wiped clean anytime, and only exists with that boundary.

As said, create a virtual hard drive, and create a save file or session there. The puppy ISO should be able to locate it afterwards, assuming the iso and virtual hard drive is configured to be present.

@Phoenix Thanks for the information provided.

Return to “Beginners Help”