Raspbian Buster

Moderator: Forum moderators

darry19662018

Raspbian Buster

Post by darry19662018 »

A Puppy for Arm devices by 01Micko ......

With about six months of fairly intensive development I am proud to announce the release of Raspup 8.2.0 for the Raspberry Pi family of computers which has binary compatibility with Raspbian Buster.

This is the very first official Puppy release that supports a cpu architecture other than x86 or x86_64.

One download will run on all the major Raspberry boards from the Pi Zero to the Pi 4. It is a full featured desktop operating system including all the programs you will likely need on a day to day basis such as a browser, word processor, spread-sheet application, email client, chat client and much more!

https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/a ... ap.img.zip

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/ar ... pup-8.2.1/ devx found here.
01micko

Re: Raspbian Buster

Post by 01micko »

Thanks to 'sage' on the old forum the original post follows.

PostPosted: Sat 31 Aug 2019, 20:53 Post subject: Raspberry Pi Buster Raspup
Subject description: Tested running on pi0,pi1.pi2,pi3,pi4

Raspup Buster 8.2.1 bugfix releasel(20200705)

This is Puppy Linux optimised for the Raspberry Pi credit card sized (or smaller) computer. It contains all of the goodies you would expect of any Puppy Linux. It uses Raspbian Buster libraries and programs with extras compiled from source and scripted to fill the gaps.

It has been developed and tested on the Pi Zero Wifi, Pi 3, and Pi 4. One download will run on all of these boards and it should run on Pi 1 and Pi 2 (untested - edit 190915 tested on pi2 and pi1). IDK about compute module, probably not.

Download

https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/a ... pup-8.2.1/ - main zip file (~371MB - it has 3 kernels)
3 files to choose from - image with swap, image without and zip to extract to fat 32 formatted partition
raspup-8.2.1-a60dc46d9-2gb-f2fs.img.zip
raspup-8.2.1-a60dc46d9-2gb-f2fs-swap.img.zip
raspup-8.2.1-a60dc46d9.zip

Kernel sources and devx are in the menu - Setup -> Download Sytesm SFS Packages

Installation

See the NEW Raspup Website because there is now the choice of 2 new image files that can be installed directly to sdcard. THE following instructions are left here for posterity, though are still relevant if you check out what is in the raw/ directory at the download location. EDIT 20200705 - the plain old zip (not img) is now in the main directory with checksum, identify it by the lack of '.img' in the filename.

For new RC instructions are the same - please use a fresh installation else we'll catch old bugs.

Use these instructions at your own risk

CLI (is the preferred method)

1. Grab sdcard or micro-sdcard (whatever fits your pi) and make 2 partitions, the first FAT32 of size 512MB, The second fills the rest of the card. Format that to ext2, ext3, ext4, f2fs, whichever.

2. Mount (as root, or sudo for Ubuntuers) the FIRST partition on the sdcard (FAT32) taking note of its mount point. It may be /mnt/sdc1 or /mnt/mmcblk0p1 or similar. It will be a 1

3. Go to the dir where you downloaded the zip file and run this:
Code:
ZIP=$(ls | grep -o raspup*zip|tail -1)
unzip $ZIP -d /mnt/MYMOUNTPOINT # this is the one you took note of earlier

4. if no errors occurred then unmount the card, remove from your card reader and poke it in the pi, power up and enjoy.

GUI

1. Grab sdcard or micro-sdcard (whatever fits your pi) and make 2 partitions, the first FAT32 of size 650MB, The second fills the rest of the card. Format that to ext2, ext3, ext4, f2fs, whichever.

2. make a new directory where you downloaded the zip file and extract the files in there. Copy all the files with drag'n'drop to MOUNTED FIRST partition of the sdcard, being sure NOT to copy the zip file as well

3. unmount the card, remove from your card reader and poke it in the pi, power up and enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Changes (20200705)

- bugfix kernel panic - was an issue with cards <= 8GB - have tested on 8 GB card on pi zero
- added sc0ttman's 'pkg' cli package manager - try it!
- added option to reboot to pupmode 12 (and back to 13 if you wish)
- updated 'raspi-version' to support pi 4 8GB version
- new kernels 5.4.42
- all raspbian packages updated

Changes (20200101)

- dropbear ssh daemon is installed and configured
- download of Vivaldi, Firefox and Chromium no longer have menu items - look in the system sfs manager in Setup
- latest raspbian updates
- removed YASSM - I think the gui rox app in the home dir is ok for samba share mounting
- added some tools to help with ssh shutdown and reboot
- add a boot param 'pwireless=essid:password' so on first boot wireless connects
- numerous other tweaks and fixes for woof and raspup

Changes (20191112)

Lots, and some big ones
- add network_roxapp_samba (samba share mounter in home directory - also YASSM from rcrsn51 is installed these are samba client apps)
- kernel is 4.19.75 - same as raspbian stable
- add new COMMAND LINE INTERFACE (don't be scared) wireless network tool bbwireless (wrote it myself - uploaded to git hub ). It is integrated into the connection wizard.
- add fbturbo Xorg video driver and it loads automatically
- add new sfs downloader tool (see above) and has Libre Office
- add new firefox sfs maker (kinda like the vivaldi one but made from raspbian official package)
- bugfix the PPM updating (brown mouse)
- added some SDL games (see Fun menu)
- added xvkbd on screen keyboard (see Utilities menu)
- all latest raspbian updates relevant to raspup
- add lxterminal - you can copy/paste with right click ( who wanted that? spotted?)
- bugfix devx for various inefficiencies
- add musl gcc and sanitized headers to devx to compile static programs (works well)
- firewall tray icon is in PPM - there you go lobster. It's not in the main sfs because these little programs chew RAM, and remember we have to cater to pi 1 and zero which max out at 512MB (less graphics RAM).
- numerous other fixes and tweaks at the woof level and the raspup level

Changes (20190929)

- CUPS is fixed - missing dependency. I can print to PDF and cups 'sees' my network Epson xp245 but there is no arm driver - maybe I can compile one..
- SAMBA server is working, you can share any directory from your pi see Menu >> Network >> Simple Samba Management (new addition)
- broken menu item icons are fixed - a woof bug
- updated kernels to 4.19.75 - seems to improve wifi on pi4, my zero and 3+ have flawless wifi anyway
- added geany plugins (spotted)
- added irssi CLI chat client - works from icon

Changes (20190915)

- new gui to set default boot option - in setup menu (brown mouse)
- improved Vivaldi installer that fetches proprietary ffmpeg codec if you so desire - note it doesn't install widevine needed for netflix. While it is possible it is convoluted. Instructions upon request. Please delete old vivaldi **.sfs as the naming is changed to reflect root or spot.
- bugfix the showing of quicksetup on every boot in pi1 and pi0. This was a woof level bug in /usr/sbin/delayedrun (proebler)
- added mhwaveedit - compiled (brown mouse)
- rebuilt gnome-mplayer using new source developed by wdlkmpx
- developed new drive icon to distinguish between the boot partition and the save partition (woof level)
- new kernels - 4.19.71
- fixed apulse pet - was broken
- added some missing libs to devx which fixed cmake
- add ralink wireless firmware (proebler)

TO DO

- add a proper chat program [DONE]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(OLD STUFF)

This is a bit more polished than alpha and getting close to final which will be released as 8.2 hopefully by mid October.

Anyone who wants to compile stuff please do. The repo needs some stocking fillers. :D

--

While this edition is almost feature complete there may be bugs (some woof level ones too)

If there is a feature you really need I'll consider adding it but i'd rather shrink the main file rather than grow it.

Enjoy!
Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

CUPS appears to be broken ??
wiak

Post by wiak »

@darry19662018

Could you remove your first post from this thread, since it seems better now that 01micko is here that he heads the thread since he may well want to change first post details from time to time.

I don't myself have a Raspberry Pi, but I have always read the Puppy thread on it, since I'm interested in it, and keep hoping one of my family will give be one from Santa one day so I can also try things out on it myself (not having any suitable Arm device to experiment with is a constant nag to my brain actually since I feel I should be looking into that too...).

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

01micko

Post by 01micko »

Tahrbaby wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:04 am CUPS appears to be broken ??
While it may appear broken, it isn't. That said, the Cups Printer Wizard in the menu is actually broken because it should set the cups file in /etc/init.d/cups to executable.

The work around is to open Puppy Setup from the Setup menu, press the Startup button, then choose the 'Choose which services run at startup' button. In the next window tick the cups checkbox. Printing should now work.
Attachments
check_cups.png
check_cups.png (42.56 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
01micko

Post by 01micko »

Someone asked on the old forum how to get the official raspberry pi camera to work. I managed to get one from ebay to test and it works with mplayer.

To set it up:
  1. mount the first partition (mmcblk0p1)
  2. open the file config.txt for editing
  3. add these 2 lines to the bottom of that file

Code: Select all

start_x=1
    gpu_mem=128
    save the file and unmount the partition
  4. reboot
  5. test with gnome-mplayer by openning it from the Multimedia menu - then File > TV > Open Analog TV
Note that character device /dev/video0 should appear
pi_cam.png
pi_cam.png (35.68 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
pi_cam1.png
pi_cam1.png (259.42 KiB) Viewed 3799 times
Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

01micko wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:20 pm
While it may appear broken, it isn't. That said, the Cups Printer Wizard in the menu is actually broken because it should set the cups file in /etc/init.d/cups to executable.

The work around is to open Puppy Setup from the Setup menu, press the Startup button, then choose the 'Choose which services run at startup' button. In the next window tick the cups checkbox. Printing should now work.
That did the trick.

Cheers :thumbup:
Tahrbaby

Post by Tahrbaby »

Been trying for quite some time to get Bluetooth working for such things as BT keyboard and playing music through BT speakers...etc...,so far to no avail.

Would be very handy since the RPI's come with it built in.

Any helpful tips would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
J2112Z

Post by J2112Z »

Hello All,

1st post on here. Not a Noob, but I'm still very much 'wet behind the ears' re. Linux!

I've just installed Raspian Buster on my Pi 3 A+, and I've noticed there's a 'lag' when playing audio.

For instance, on the ALSA sound wizard, if I click on the test sound icon, nothing happens, but if I click 4 or 5 times quickly, I hear only one 'bark' instead of 5. If I play any audio via pMusic, it misses off the first second of sound, every time.

Is there any way to resolve this issue?

Thanks in advance.
lizardidi

Post by lizardidi »

Start using Raspup 8.2.1 on my little PiZero board. So far quite stable. Only one question: How can i convert certain puppy-specific apps to use on my Raspup? Such as PaDs (to combine .deb into .sfs), easyDD (to burn .img)???
***Edit 17/09/2020: I figured out how to build .sfs for my raspup. I downloaded all required packages and dependencies with my pi zero, then combine the packages using PaDs running on other "windows" puppies. I made a "full" libreoffice using this method and so far no problem found.

However, i found out that the default cpu freq for pi zero is only 700 mhz (governor = powersave). I opened puppy cpu freq scaling tools, clicked "Next", but no further popup appeared. Is there other workaround to boost my pi zero cpu freq higher than default 700 mhz?
***Edit: I solved this using non-GUI method. The GUI-cpu-freq-scaling tools doesn't seem to work. After i clicked next, the governor and freq option window never showed up no matter how many times i reboot. The default governor is "Powersafe". In order to switch to "Performance", just type:
# to show current cpu governor (replace * with cpu no, eg cpu0)
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
# to set cpu governor to performance thru terminal, type:
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Hope this will help others if u cant set cpu governor under Raspup.
vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I just tried RBpuppy out on my RPi 2b and it's really slow takes a very long time to boot, or for opening programs, and seems to get lost when I try to configure Frisbee. I'm just wondering is this normal or do I have a hardware problem?

Correction: Raspberry Pi 1.2 B+ (not 2b)
Last edited by vtpup on Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

01micko

Post by 01micko »

Tahrbaby wrote: Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:02 pm Been trying for quite some time to get Bluetooth working for such things as BT keyboard and playing music through BT speakers...etc...,so far to no avail.

Would be very handy since the RPI's come with it built in.

Any helpful tips would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance for any guidance.
Bluetooth is a work in progress. Hopefully in the next iteration I'll get it sorted.
lizardidi wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:19 am Start using Raspup 8.2.1 on my little PiZero board. So far quite stable. Only one question: How can i convert certain puppy-specific apps to use on my Raspup? Such as PaDs (to combine .deb into .sfs), easyDD (to burn .img)???
***Edit 17/09/2020: I figured out how to build .sfs for my raspup. I downloaded all required packages and dependencies with my pi zero, then combine the packages using PaDs running on other "windows" puppies. I made a "full" libreoffice using this method and so far no problem found.

However, i found out that the default cpu freq for pi zero is only 700 mhz (governor = powersave). I opened puppy cpu freq scaling tools, clicked "Next", but no further popup appeared. Is there other workaround to boost my pi zero cpu freq higher than default 700 mhz?
***Edit: I solved this using non-GUI method. The GUI-cpu-freq-scaling tools doesn't seem to work. After i clicked next, the governor and freq option window never showed up no matter how many times i reboot. The default governor is "Powersafe". In order to switch to "Performance", just type:
# to show current cpu governor (replace * with cpu no, eg cpu0)
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
# to set cpu governor to performance thru terminal, type:
echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
Hope this will help others if u cant set cpu governor under Raspup.
Thanks for the debugging. I'll be sure to patch the cpu freq tool for pi compatibility in the not too distant future.
vtpup wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:33 pm I just tried RBpuppy out on my RPi 2b and it's really slow takes a very long time to boot, or for opening programs, and seems to get lost when I try to configure Frisbee. I'm just wondering is this normal or do I have a hardware problem?
I have a pi zero and it works quite well. The zero is more closely specced to a pi 1, so I think maybe your sdcard is worn or of low quality. Perhaps try a newer card and see if that helps.
vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Thanks 01micko, Actually I have (on closer look) a 1.2 b+. And the SD card I'm using now is a Sandisk 32gb 10 speed A1.

I have read up a little on speedups, and apparently you can move the OS to a USB drive which is faster than SD card and just boot off of the SD card. Haven't tried that also there is some possibility of overclocking.

So I guess there are some things for me to to try. Otherwise I'll relegate it back to its shoebox. My main hope was to just to use it as a dediaated youtube and streaming media HDMI source for the TV monito . So the only app of interest would be a browser. Probably Firefox since that is compatible with the couple of DRM sites we use. Not interested in Chromium. and Seamonkey isn't generally DRM supported in the experiments I've tried with my regular laptop.

I know odds are weighted against this working out with such an old simple single board computer, but since we already have it and it's doing nothing, I thought I'd give it a try.

I have tried LibreElec with it, but it is too slow to be useful. But if I can manage to play video through a browser (even at reduced resolution) that would be good enough.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

I've started over fresh with Raspian Buster, new install from the zip raw version, plus I added a 2 gig swap because this is a 1.2 b+ series RPi. It seems to be running faster -- acceptably fast. But I have some major browser problems:

I tried the stock Midori, but even trying to pull up this forum it throws a "Unacceptable TLS certificate" error message. Likewise for YouTube.

I tried installing Firefox-esr from the PPM from the Raspian repo (after updating the repos) but it crashes out of the box. When opened in terminal I get a single line error message "Illegal Instruction". Nothing more.

So I'm dead in the water for internet access.

UPDATE:

re. Firefox-esr -- Just discovered that maybe using the conventional PPM isn't the proper way to do this on Raspup? I just noticed that there is a new Menu entry for downloading and creating SFS files, and included there is a selection for Firefox-esr. So I'm trying this method now....
Last edited by vtpup on Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Another problem, I created a first run savefile in the second (larger) partition, but Raspup didn't find it on startup. Does this mean Raspup will will only find a savefile on the first (512 Mb) boot partition? That seems impractical.

UPDATE: Again, Raspup seems to do some things differently than I'm used to in Puppy. That's okay, but I didn't know about them and they aren't necessarily easily noticed. There is a DOS style Raspup startup window that changes if you have a savefile -- or more than one savefile. If you read through the list carefully savefile(s) will be located by name at the bottom of the boot list. This is fine.....if you know about this capability and read through the changed entries, which I do now.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

spotted

Post by spotted »

Somewhere I saw 'the next iteration' does that mean that there is a 64 bit 'raspup' on the way.
My wish list. The system tray from the Mate desktop, it has the best cpu meter and the most configurable of all the ARM distros.
A pdf reader that one can cut copy from.
I cant remember if PPM rounds up all the depends, but 'synaptic' does, thats a must.
Palemoon is a must, since firefox got into bed with google and made firefox look and feel like chrone, and gives over all your browser habits to google.
Palemoon comes to the rescue but needs a late model libc6.
I have a logitech wireless keyboard and dialog boxes like 'delete' just dont work with the touchpad, have to use the paddles under the touchpad. Dont know if the synaptic drivers, app, for a laptop would fix that.
Just a minimal one that uses .deb's would be good enough, as long as the package manager can round up all the depends, thats all we need.
Do you think there will be a Pi 5.

tony

Post by tony »

Hi,
I am running version 8.2.0 in a usb3 stick by copying the entire boot partition on to it.

Q1 How do I upgrade to 8.2.1?

Q2 What Files do I actually need on the stick to do the flip?

Q3 Where has half of my 8 meg Pi4 ram gone?

Regards. Tony.

tony

Re: winbutmod

Post by tony »

Hi All,
put this in script in ~/Startup exec xmodmap -e "keycode 133 = U0a3 U20ac"

It replaces the windows key with pound and euro key.

Also: as an old guy, I have to return " Proof of Life " certificates to my Insurance company.

If you have read my previous post, will you please post back to show this forum is STILL ALIVE.

Regards. Tony

mbodomi

Post by mbodomi »

Hi! Is it possible to dualboot Raspberry Puppy with another OS?

tony

Post by tony »

Hi,

Welcome.

You can search for berryboot and see if it suits you.

Or look up Barry Keelers "easy" on this forum.

Please postback if you have any success.

Regards. Tony.

mbodomi

Post by mbodomi »

I'm curl | zcat | dd 'ing the imagefile of easyos rpi4 as i write this
didnt like berryboot as i can fire up puppy and backup a whole system from the main sd reader to usb hdd and i can restore it too.
xdelta-gui should accept device files too if you want to make a "changes" file from an image....
Will look on this easydd tool.

tony

stellarium problem solved.

Post by tony »

After installing stellarium, it would fail on missing libgles2_1.1.0-1 I simply added it using the puppy

package manager. A symlink would be better.

For first run, use monitor and type: stellarium -d

It should run, but defaults to somewhere in France.

Run your mouse pointer up left hand side of screen. click on top star to get locations.

useful. In monitor type: stellarium -- help

Regards. Tony.

Last edited by tony on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Is this Puppy version still being developed to final release?
Hope it is!

I have Raspup 8.2.1 running on a Raspberry PI 400. (PI 4)

Menu->Setup->Package Manager NG
Program starts and shows main window.
This program seems to lock up, when you try to use it.
I always get something like this and the program locks up.
That lighter gray area, is where a message pops up, about wait for it to do what you asked.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (25.99 KiB) Viewed 1614 times

Update:
Well, maybe this is not a problem.
I just let it site showing what is shown in the above image.
This took a long time to do, but it finally finished, showing what I had selected.
So, I guess you just have to give it a lot of time to finish, whatever you select. :roll:
NO!
It is still locking up and giving similar image, for anything I try doing.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

tony

Post by tony »

Hi bigpup,

try :-

Menu->Setup->Puppy Package Manager in raspup.

Update the data base then put your required application in the search bar.

I've got stellarium and wbar added. Still working on clamav.

Regards Tony. (better late than never)

Return to “Raspbian Buster”