How to transfer frugal install from portable HDD to laptop?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

stevie pup

How to transfer frugal install from portable HDD to laptop?

Post by stevie pup »

Few months ago I did frugal install of Fossa to a portable HDD, then basically used it as a test bed. Since then I've made a great number of alterations, modifications, etc. By the way, none of this has been for any functional purpose, it's all been to suit my personal taste, convenience, and where possible installing my preferred software.

Anyway, now that I've got it to a point where I'm generally happy with everything, what is the easiest way to install the whole thing, as is, to a laptop? Either directly from the portable HDD or via USB stick. The installation will again be a frugal install. It would be a bit of a pain to have to start from scratch again.

Thanks

user1234

Re: Installation Question

Post by user1234 »

Every user made change in puppy frugal install is saved to your selected savefile/savefolder. So, you can copy over your savefile/savefolder to the partition where you are gonna be installing the puppy. Note that I would recommend you to choose 'this' option while choosing the puppy files while frugal install, or use the same puppy version's iso for installation. Also note that frugal install is necessary to make this work.

BONUS: Read this if you want to install the bootloader to the same storage device as the puppy would be installed to- https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 193#p57193.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

Geek3579

Re: How to transfer frugal install from portable HDD to laptop?

Post by Geek3579 »

I have had trouble on occasion copying savefolders, I dont know why.

But in recent times, where possible, I just copy and paste the whole partition - excluding the boot partition and including the frugal installation partition using GPARTED on a LIVE USB (not the system installed version - may not work). The source partition will have its own UUID which can be invoked in the GRUB script, if you can edit it/use a custom.cfg file.

eg: UUID = 1c48a2d8-bdbb-4cf5-a620-e43c95e51a05 as shown below

menuentry "LX Puppy bionicpup64 8.0" {
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 1c48a2d8-bdbb-4cf5-a620-e43c95e51a05
linux /LX_Bionicpup64/vmlinuz intel_pstate=disable net.ifnames=0 pmedia=usbflash pdrv=1c48a2d8-bdbb-4cf5-a620-e43c95e51a05 psubdir=/LX_Bionicpup64 pfix=fsck,fsckp TZ=AEST-10
initrd /LX_Bionicpup64/initrd.gz
}

The partition may need to be pre or post shrunk to fit the destination drive, and it may be necessary to copy to a GPT partition table drive which can have more than 4 partitions.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

A SaveFile or Folder should not be copied while its in use. That will generate errors. Boot pfix=ram. or use another Puppy. Example, locate your new Puppy on the hard-drive without the SaveFile/Folder. Boot into it. Plug in your USB-HardDrive and then copy the SaveFile/Folder.
When copying a Puppy used on one computer to another, the SaveFile/Folder will include settings from the 1st computer and may try to use them. That's not an error, just an inconvenience of being able to preserve and use those settings on the first computer. Menu>Setup>QuickSetup will quickly set things right.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

Tried copying the Save folder, and when it had finished I got a message telling me there were over 3,000 errors. So, not surprisingly with that number of errors, when I tried to boot it didn't even recognise the Save folder was there. And it definitely wasn't in use at the time.

Back to the drawing board I think.

Return to “Fossapup64”