Puppy Live USB .iso? (solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Puppy Live USB .iso?

Post by mikewalsh »

greengeek wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:27 pm
Clarity wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:31 am

This is probably TOO easy for you...not because you cant achieve it easily, but because you WONT have any questionsfor guidance, at all.

Actually - i always have many questions because i do so much tinkering that I hardly ever remember how I managed to get things working in the first place. :lol:

^^^ +1! Touché, mon ami. Join the club.... :lol: :lol:

Mike. ;)

stevie pup

Re: Puppy Live USB .iso? (solved)

Post by stevie pup »

I would just like to add something to this thread. I note that a few people have made comments regarding Rufus not working with Puppy, so decided to do another test.

I checked and the old version of Rufus that I have on my Windows 7 laptop, and have been using for a couple of years, is 3.11. And I've never had any issues with it. I then downloaded the latest Rufus (3.20), and used it to create a Bionic 32 USB stick. All went smoothly, and the Bionic USB booted fine with no problems whatsoever.

Which yet again leaves me a bit baffled as to why some people have issues with it. Or have I misunderstood and it's just one or two Puppies that won't work with Rufus? Or maybe just one rogue version of Rufus that misbehaves? If so I believe virtually all versions of Rufus going right back to 1.0.3 can still be downloaded.

Whenever I create a USB, whether it's with Rufus or anything else, I don't normally bother to fiddle around with any of the settings, I just leave the defaults.

If anyone wants to expand on this further then feel free, I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it eventually. But I can assure you all I don't have a "magic boot tool".

wizard

Post by wizard »

@stevie pup

Or have I misunderstood and it's just one or two Puppies that won't work with Rufus?

The devil's in the details here. Take a look at my post on the second page of this topic and this topic may also shed some light on the dilemma: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=5192

You are right there is no "magic boot tool". Just because Rufus v3.20 worked on Bionic32 does not mean Rufus v3.18 will work on Fossapup64. We can advise users on what MAY work, but can't be surprised if it does not. What will work has to be validated for the Puppy version AND the creation tool version, PLUS the users hardware configuration requirements.

wizard

Big pile of OLD computers

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

stevie pup, :thumbup: thanks for taking the time to experiment and reporting about it. The next time I have to use rufus I'll try version 3.20. If that works I'll update my post about deploying Puppy to a USB-Key. But, as wizard notes, success may depend on which Puppy you're trying to deploy. I'll try to remember to mention that as well.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

wizard wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:26 pm

The devils in the details here.

mikeslr wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:14 pm

success may depend on which Puppy you're trying to deploy.

You're both right there. I've been reading one or two other threads on this subject, it's a damn minefield isn't it? If I get time over the weekend I'll try a couple of other experiments and see how things go.

Thank you both for your comments.

Return to “Beginners Help”