What is your main day to day Puppy?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

What is your main day to day Puppy?

Post by amethyst »

I only have two operational at the moment, others are archived. Both 32-bit, improved for personal use. Precise Performer (based on Precise Puppy) and Bionic Booster (based on Bionic Puppy). I use Precise Performer almost all of the time (the base sfs is 80MB in size compressed). Only use Bionic Booster on the odd occasion I need to run Chromium browser to access some Google specific sites (I use Palemoon otherwise). :thumbup2:

Attachments
Precise Performer.jpg
Precise Performer.jpg (19.16 KiB) Viewed 564 times
Bionic Booster.jpg
Bionic Booster.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 564 times
ozsouth

Re: What is your main day to day Puppy?

Post by ozsouth »

ScPup64-20.06+2. I've customised it to suit me & added security updates. When compiling kernels, I found that later pups (with later glibc versions) do not produce universally usable output.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

On my laptop I am a huge fan of LxPupSc64 19.09, using Linux Kernel: 5.2.11-lxpup64 (x86_64)

Its a frugal installation, with pupsave only at shutdown. Been in daily for almost 3 years. I only save changes when new software is added, which is now infrequent.

Fabulously reliable, stable, and easy to use. Runs portable wine well. Smooth windows manager.

Ok, slackware doesnt have as many PPM options, nor will it run all of the portable apps produced by mikewalsh, but for most tasks its a joy to run in this environment.

ally

Post by ally »

Fossapup64 on a thinkpad w520

:)

wanderer

Post by wanderer »

bionicpup 32 on everything

thankyou peebee

wanderer

sfein1000

Post by sfein1000 »

Fossapup64 on two laptops
I boot from ISO or Frugal install depending on which USB drive I connect (one of my laptops doesn't even have a hard drive)
No save file as I like a clean system at boot. I have a script which sets up the system (depending on which USB drive I connect) which installs a couple of debs, sets up a few .desktop files to have menus for some appimages, and installs my window manager.

I use a tiling WM - bspwm with sxhkd, tint2 for tool/desktop bar and rofi for run menu

gychang

Post by gychang »

sfein1000 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:31 pm

Fossapup64 on two laptops
I boot from ISO or Frugal install depending on which USB drive I connect (one of my laptops doesn't even have a hard drive)
No save file as I like a clean system at boot. I have a script which sets up the system (depending on which USB drive I connect) which installs a couple of debs, sets up a few .desktop files to have menus for some appimages, and installs my window manager.

I use a tiling WM - bspwm with sxhkd, tint2 for tool/desktop bar and rofi for run menu

Very similar, FP64 on my 2 rigs, both running bspwm, tint2, and rofi!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Hi all

I am using Fossapup64 as my go to.

I have to admit, I choose this randomly stumbling on Puppy Linux and decided to download/install it, simply as it had the *64 included included in the name.

It worked straight out the box for me and I only have basic needs/uses. Browsing and multi-media mostly. This is not a reflection on the OS, but simply that I am a new user to Linux and haven't experimented much.

I did try out one of the Vanilla Pup builds, which I did like as it had no prebuilt applications. However, the display would tear(???) if I moved dialog boxes around the screen. So, I decided not to continue with it.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

Jasper wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:35 pm

However, the display would tear(???)

You can fix that by installing picom and starting it when X starts :thumbup:

picom (or any other X compositor) is not included by default because it causes problems like graphical artifacts, with some GPUs.

sfein1000

Post by sfein1000 »

gychang wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:10 pm

Very similar, FP64 on my 2 rigs, both running bspwm, tint2, and rofi!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

If you're the person who posted the youtube video on setting up bspwm, then I owe you my thanks as I used that as the jumping off point for setting up my system.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@dimkr

Thank you for that tip! :thumbup:

Do I simply need to download it via Synaptic once I have setup my wifi, language etc?

If so, then I will definitely try again.

I liked the "cleanliness" of your build.

Great work and thanks for sharing!

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

As my web-browsers are now all MikeWalsh's portables --which auto-update-- there's rarely a need to update OSes.

Mostly Bionicpup64 with a newer kernel & run under Pupmode13. Set it up again two years ago 'from scratch' and other than now occasionally updating the kernel I leave it alone. It handles all my daily needs.

I explore many new Puppies and have about 6 I can boot into immediately. The 2nd most frequent Puppy I boot is fossapup64-9.5. I set it up for 'if and when' Bionicpup64's openssl is too old to handle modern then current Web-browsers. Occasionally add to it when something of interest appears on Fossapup's "User Contributed Packages". Over the last few months I find I'm booting into it more often. Unlike Bionicpup64 it can run the latest version of Iron. And it seems a little more responsive. Or maybe I just like the Wallpaper I gave it. :)

gychang

Post by gychang »

@sfein1000 amazing you can follow my bumbling youtube... glad to hear it is working for you. :D

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikeslr wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:38 pm

As my web-browsers are now all MikeWalsh's portables --which auto-update-- there's rarely a need to update OSes.

Mostly Bionicpup64 with a newer kernel & run under Pupmode13. Set it up again two years ago 'from scratch' and other than now occasionally updating the kernel I leave it alone. It handles all my daily needs.

I explore many new Puppies and have about 6 I can boot into immediately. The 2nd most frequent Puppy I boot is fossapup64-9.5. I set it up for 'if and when' Bionicpup64's openssl is too old to handle modern then current Web-browsers. Occasionally add to it when something of interest appears on Fossapup's "User Contributed Packages". Over the last few months I find I'm booting into it more often. Unlike Bionicpup64 it can run the latest version of Iron. And it seems a little more responsive. Or maybe I just like the Wallpaper I gave it. :)

The newer browsers gradually require newer glibc. What I've done to all my Puppys, is to manually remove the older glibc from the base sfs (it's not a big task) and load a newer glibc (2.30, I have vailable) as an additional drive (bdrv for me with my modified initrd but adrv or ydrv if you are limited to additional drives). This way a newer glibc can easily be slotted in. Bionic for instance has glibc2.27. I've removed that from the system and load glibc 2.30 as a bdrv to be able to run the newest Palemoon for example. So very easy to upgrade the glibc everytime.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

amethyst wrote:

What I've done to all my Puppys, is to manually remove the older glibc from the base sfs (it's not a big task) and load a newer glibc

Would it be possible to post a written guide on the steps you take to swap in a newer version of glibc ??

I am using mostly Bionic64-8 and switch between different modifications of Fossapup64-9.5 and Fossapup64-9.6

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:11 pm
amethyst wrote:

What I've done to all my Puppys, is to manually remove the older glibc from the base sfs (it's not a big task) and load a newer glibc

Would it be possible to post a written guide on the steps you take to swap in a newer version of glibc ??

I am using mostly Bionic64-8 and switch between different modifications of Fossapup64-9.5 and Fossapup64-9.6

Well, removing glibc is easy. Use an sfs editor and edit the base sfs. Go to /root/.packages (there should be a link for this location in new puppys, I think) > open the builtin_files folder > open the glibc package file and then manually delete the files from the base sfs as listed > repack the base sfs. Then find a newer glibc package (some user glibc packages are floating around or download it from the official glibc repository on the internet, repackage it as an adrv, ydrv or any other additional drive and boot this drive with the base sfs. So you have a sort of modular system for glibc. BTW - You may be able to rip a newer glibc from a newer Puppy to use with an older Puppy, using the package-extractor tool in my utility suite.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst Excellent! Like the idea of making it modular. I need to look into using the package exactor tool more intensively. I have a feeling it will be quite useful.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

Eeh, I love those names, mate. "Bionic Booster"...reminds me of the British 70s/80s rock band, Atomic Rooster!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm.....

I run around a dozen Pups. ATM, I honestly have no real "primary" Pup, though jrb's 'lite' spin on BK's Quirky64 April 7.0.1 might perhaps take the crown "by a whisker".

I'm as liable to be messing around in 32-bit Xenial, Tahrpup or my customized/re-mastered Slacko 560 as I am to be running Fossapup64 or perhaps dimkr's VanillaUPup or DPup. Sometimes playing about in Studio 1337, sometimes setting-up new applications in either the Xenialpup 32-bit chroot OR the Fossapup 64-bit chroot.

It's a real case of whatever takes my fancy nowadays! :D You could say it's a case of "Eeny, meeny, miny, mo....." :lol:

Mike. :thumbup: ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Users”