QEMU Networking Options

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Neo_78

QEMU Networking Options

Post by Neo_78 »

I am a bit lost with the Qemu documentation on network configuration between host system and the virtual machine guest:

https://www.qemu.org/docs/master/system ... s/net.html

https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

I am running a vm guest with qemu-system-x86_64 from an iso image. The objective is that the vm guest gets a fixed internal IP and has internet access, provided by the host system that is running a vpn via openvpn. Apart from the internet access, I would like to restrict all access between guest and host; i.e. no file sharing, no ssh etc. The guest cannot access the host.

Could you guide me in the right direction which are the required network options that should be used in the terminal when starting the virtual machine to achieve this objective?

Appreciate your feedback! :thumbup:

Clarity

Re: QEMU Networking Options

Post by Clarity »

Neo_78 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:42 am

I am a bit lost ... I am running a vm guest with qemu-system-x86_64 from an iso image. The objective is that the vm guest gets a fixed internal IP and has internet access ... I would like to restrict all access between guest and host; i.e. no file sharing, no ssh etc....

There are 3 ways that normal users will use to run QEMU/KVM; namely qemu-system-x86_64 ... some.iso:

• via QEMU GUI

• via console/terminal command

• via LibVirt

Which of these are you using? Our answers depend on which of these methods you are talking about.

Further, if you would, please give the COMPLETE command you are using to run your VM with an ISO file.

Geek3579

Re: QEMU Networking Options

Post by Geek3579 »

I run QEMU using both AQEMU and CLI commands with Fossapup64 as host. In every case that I can recall, for various guest OS's, the network connection is automatically generated without any extra code being added on my part. Maybe because I am using a later version of QEMU / AQEMU ??

I will watch this space with interest. :)

Return to “Users”