Dosbox problems, PPM items not showing up

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

scraginagpup

Dosbox problems, PPM items not showing up

Post by scraginagpup »

Greetings!...2 Questions:

1. I'm trying to get Dosbox 0.74 running in Fossapup. I do not even see it (it is not found) in puppy package manager but managed to find debian verson. It installed without a hitch and there are no additional files needed. The menu item shows up in Utilities, but nothing happens when I try to run it...any ideas?

2. Also, many items that were in Puppy Package Manager with Bionic pup are no longer there. Have tried downloading repository lists but no help...I am sure I just need different repositories, but don't know where to find them?

Thanks!

bigpup

Re: Dosbox problems, PPM items not showing up

Post by bigpup »

Question 2.

The repository of pet packages for Bionicpup64 8.0, does have more pet packages in it, than the repository for Fossapup64 9.5.
Some of the pets may not work in Fossapup64 or the repository did not get very populated with stuff.

You can go directly to all the Puppy repositories and directly download pet packages from there:
https://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

I get pet packages from other repositories this way directly.
But understand the pet was compiled for a specific Puppy version and may or may not work in a different version.
But a lot of them will.
For Fossapup64:
Ones from Xenialpup64, Bionicpup64, Tahr64 usually work OK.
Slacko stuff is too different.

The pet packages - common or noarch repositories should work in any Puppy version.

To install a pet package.
Download to location you can find it.
In Rox file manager, navigate to the location, left click on pet file to install it.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Odd that fossapup64's PPM isn't showing dosbox. pkgs.org reports that Ubuntu Focal Fossa's repos has one. https://ubuntu.pkgs.org/20.04/ubuntu-un ... 4.deb.html. Did you update databases before searching? If after updating PPM finds dosbox uninstall the one you have and use the one PPM found. If it still doesn't show up, I'd uninstall the one you have and use the one pkgs.org provides this link to: http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... _amd64.deb.

[But, I just noticed that dosbox is now in the archive repo. Probably why PPM can't find it. PPM isn't set up to look there.

And if that it still doesn't run:

What is reported by the terminal when you enter the command 'dosbox' --without the quotes?

What is reported when you file-browse to /usr/bin, Right-Click dosbox, select ListDD from the pop-up menu, then click the 'Missing' Tab?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

this DOSBox-0.74 should work. Download the PET file and click on it to install.

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

Fresh boot of FossaPup
Only updated the PPM databse
Then dosbox shows up if you enter it into the search field
I installed it and it runs from terminal or via the Menu entry under Utility
If you install the .deb on its own it may not start because a couple of dependency libraries are missing, but PPM takes care of that of course.

Attachments
dosbox-ppm.jpg
dosbox-ppm.jpg (122.01 KiB) Viewed 331 times
dosbox-run.jpg
dosbox-run.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 331 times

Return to “Users”