Discussion: Where should UPup32 go next?

Building a Puppy Linux OS

Moderator: Forum moderators

tosim

Re: Discussion: Where should UPup32 go next?

Post by tosim »

tosim wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Will do, at least I'll try to. Thanks.

Update: With the Delta Alpha5 I'm getting no audio, although I had audio with the 4v. Also, updated pkgmgr, downloaded an app(flameshot),
could not get it to run. Frugal install on flash drive.

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (27.35 KiB) Viewed 3543 times
Last edited by tosim on Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feek

Post by Feek »

Files from "UPupHH+D-21.04Alpha+5.iso" manually added to usb stick (G4dos, ext3):

booted well

all settings I currently do - without problem, the new feature "corner action" works

created savefolder - after reboot found succesfully

added Firefox as sfs (loaded by every boot) - works nice, video on YT plays well incl. sound

Pup-advert-blocker - the database in /etc/hosts is already present by default; after clicking on the gear wheel the app freezes

at shutdown I didn't want to save, neither tab key nor arrow keys were functioning - I had to wait 60 sec. (pupmode=13, save interval set to "0", ticked asking at shutdown whether to save or not)
EDIT: the next shutdown was without problem, tab key worked as it should

s243a

Post by s243a »

peebee wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Next step.............

Delta for Alpha+5 of HirsutePup32 also ISO & DEVX

ISO MD5: a39388c26bf6b37b3c223b4cd754daeb UPupHH+D-21.04Alpha+5.iso

Samba remains as previously - I'd welcome more testing please. Thanks.

I'm trying to compile synergy on this latest ISO, The first missing dependency I got was libjsoncpp24. The ppm wouldn't let me install this so I decided to install pkg. Here is what I added to source-all:

The next error I got when trying to compile synergy was:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++

I think I need a package that has a file with the exact filename libstdc++.so. To attempt to get this I install via pkg, "libx32stdc++-9-dev". Which gives me several dependencies such as: libc6-x32, libx32gcc-9-dev, libx32gcc-s1, libx32stdc++6

I added the following line to ld.so.conf:

include /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*.conf

and added the following to /etc/profile (probably not necessary)

[ -d /usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib/i386-linux-gnu"
[ -d /lib/i386-linux-gnu ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/i386-linux-gnu"
[ -d /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu"
[ -d /usr/local/lib/i686-linux-gnu ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib/i686-linux-gnu"
[ -d /lib/i686-linux-gnu ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/lib/i686-linux-gnu"
[ -d /usr/lib/i686-linux-gnu ] && LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/i686-linux-gnu"

This didn't seem to solve the problem so I continued to look for packages containing libstdc++.so. The next package I tired installing was, "libstdc++-10-dev". Surprisingly this solved the issue. Now I have errors that are more easy to troubleshoot.

s243a

Post by s243a »

It appears that I've successfully compiled the latest synergy source on upuphh+D but I didn't package it yet. IIRC the compiled files are located in /build/bin of the following archive.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9h6e9t8ok19t ... ar.gz?dl=0

I'll try to test it and package it tonight. I didn't use the slackbuild but instead followed the project build instructions. That said, I will look at the slckbuild as a guide of how to package it and see if the patch is still relevant.

s243a

Post by s243a »

I finally got around to packaging Synergy for upupgg+d. The utilities synergyh + synergyc work as expected but you can't start the client or server from the gui without activating the softwear. However, without activation you can save the configuration from the gui and then start the client or server with the utilities synergyc and synergys respectively. I think that the slackbuild has a patch so that you can start the client and server from the gui but I don't know if it still works or not.

The link to the pet is:
synergy-core_1.13.2.1-1_i486.pet (download)

and the source I used can be download at:
synergy-core_1.13.2.1-1_i486.tar.xz (download)

The source contains the binaries in the build directory. To rebuild just delete the build directory and then follow the build instructions below. I modified the SlackBuild script to in theory pull the source from github rather than from a zip archive. The reason being is that cmake tries to pull submodules from github and I don't know how to disable this. I tried to disable this and I got some error of version information missing. Anyway, here are the config/build instructions for the source:

cd synergy-core
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make

https://github.com/symless/synergy-core/wiki/Compiling

Below is my modified slackbuild script. I built-in option so that one can just run part of the script (e.g. package the files only without having to configure and build first). Also please review the variables set at the top of the script to make sure nothing accidently gets deleted. I'm using /mnt/home/git as the temporary directory because this is where I like to keep sourcecode from github . The packaging parts of my modified SlackBuild script is tested and I think the build parts are also tested but the configure (i.e. cmake) and source download parts of my script aren't tested. Here is my script:

On upuphh+D I had to install a number of dependencies to compile this and the reason being is that the dev versions of the qt packages have to match the user packages that one installs. The packages that I had to install are listed here:

and to actually run it I need to install one more dependency than is listed above. I installed this dependency as follows:

HIDE_BUILTINS=false pkg --get libxcb-xinerama0

**Some of the above dependencies may also need to be installed this way.
For good measure prior to doing this I also installed the related ev package:

HIDE_BUILTINS=false pkg --get libxcb-xinerama0-dev

Note that upuphh+d doesn't come with @sc0ttman's package manager (i.e. pkg). I posted instruction on how to do this for upupgg+d (see post), however this time I used the latest pkg source from gitlab. Here are the items that I've added to sources/sources-all for upuphh+D

s243a

Post by s243a »

peebee wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:17 pm

Next step.............

Delta for Alpha+5 of HirsutePup32 also ISO & DEVX

ISO MD5: a39388c26bf6b37b3c223b4cd754daeb UPupHH+D-21.04Alpha+5.iso

Samba remains as previously - I'd welcome more testing please. Thanks.

Screenshot.png

Ungoogled chromium apears to work on upuphh+d but I have done little to test it so far. See post:
viewtopic.php?p=22015#p22015

P.S. to install you need to click on it and the select yes. Right clicking on it and selecting txz2pet doesn't work. upuphh+d appears to not have this script.

peebee

Post by peebee »

Next step.............

Delta for Alpha+6 of HirsutePup32 also ISO & DEVX

ISO MD5: dd59008c759b1574cf71fe6e3e0700c9 UPupHH+D-21.04Alpha+6.iso

Last edited by peebee on Sat May 08, 2021 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Post by peebee »

Ubuntu 21.10 ‘Impish Indri’ Opens for Development
Ubuntu 21.10 Release Date & Planned Features

A repo has been established and so far 32-bit support looks comparable to Hirsute Hippo but these are early days and things could change.

The indri is one of the largest living lemurs

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

peebee

Re: Discussion: ImpishPup32 RC1

Post by peebee »

** 12-Oct-2021 Apply delta to RC0 to produce RC4 **

Ubuntu 21.10 Impish Indri Beta has been announced.

32-bit ImpishPup32-21.10 will be based on Ubuntu Impish Indri with the addition of some 32-bit components from Debian Bookworm

The kernel is LTS 5.4 as produced by GitHub Woof-CE kernel-kit

https://sourceforge.net/projects/zestyp ... ish%2B/RC/

73aa7b54403f19d473adf55e72b16c82 ImpishPup32-21.10-RC4.iso

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (248.16 KiB) Viewed 2888 times

Screenshot-lxde.png
Screenshot-lxde.png (240.78 KiB) Viewed 2854 times

Screenshot-xfce.png
Screenshot-xfce.png (98.48 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Last edited by peebee on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Post by peebee »

12-Oct-2021 Apply delta to RC0 to produce RC4

73aa7b54403f19d473adf55e72b16c82 ImpishPup32-21.10-RC4.iso

Official wallpaper and lots of updates since RC0

peebee

Post by peebee »

The codename for next year’s Ubuntu 22.04 LTS release has been revealed as ‘Jammy Jellyfish’.

A repo has been established and so far 32-bit support looks comparable to Impish Indri but these are early days and things could change.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

The +D pups are creations with real potential a lot of people won't see because they're 32-bit. It is good to have it maintained but it feels like the effort has out-ran our hardware.

I booted 64-bit LXQt to see how it looks but also use mounting PCManFM and Thunar. LXQt's pcmanfm-qt was new to me. For just partitions I would skip LXQt for lighter LxPup in JWM (user hack).

There may be some backend advantages, but Puppy JWM has evolved to look better than LXQt imo. Maybe it has other window support? LXQt is fast and snappy like JWM, I'll give it that.

The Puppy Grail desktop now is 64-bit XFCE Upup with Whisker default.

I am still using Battleshooter Xenial though it is not happy with a user manual Whisker install. I found no uninstall option for LibreOffice also, so it really is a customization. WYSIWYSW (...you're stuck with - not a big fan of manual removal)

I probably do not need > 100mb of any app in ram all the time that isn't used frequently.

Imp and the two before operate a little differently than full Upups and would take a commitment for regular use, but they look great.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

peebee

Post by peebee »

peebee

Post by peebee »

peebee

Post by peebee »

KineticPup32-22.10+nPRE PRE-RELEASE is available for testing

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (219.82 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
Last edited by peebee on Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:33 am, edited 4 times in total.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hoping that there will be a 64bit version companion, as well.

And hoping that, like the Ubuntu distro, UPup will contain @01Micko's SAMBA component, as well.

Discovery, research, installation and verification is a NIGHTMARE for the many of us who have Home networks with multiple family members with varied OSes. PPM has issues, too. All of this has been thrust upon our users, now. This was not the case until someone started a 'war' on SAMBA in the Puppy community.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

peebee wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:08 pm

KineticPup32-22.10+0PRE PRE-RELEASE is available for testing

Just gave this a try on a Toshiba Satellite Pro S500 but unfortunately it seemed to hand during booting with a message saying "probing EDD".

It gave me the advice to try "edd=off" so I added that to my kernel line but then it hung during boot with flashing cursor.

This is my menu.lst entry:

title Puppy Kinetic32_peebee (sda2/Kinetic32_peebee)
  uuid 2941d455-af2b-4da3-b9cf-182678fe7eb9
  kernel /Kinetic32_peebee/vmlinuz   psubdir=Kinetic32_peebee pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck edd=off
  initrd /Kinetic32_peebee/initrd.gz

(Based on what I use successfully for multiple other puppies)

Will try some other machines too...

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

i915
Intel. Run Pup-SysInfo for a base report.

peebee

Post by peebee »

greengeek wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:03 am

Just gave this a try on a Toshiba Satellite Pro S500 but unfortunately it seemed to hand during booting with a message saying "probing EDD".

That is probably related to the Github Kernel-kit 5.15.67 kernel.......... @dimkr

Where and on what kind of media is your install? and how formatted is the partition?

Can you swap in a kernel you know works (just copy and rename the vmlinuz and zdrv....... if you could try the 5.10 kernel from JammyPup32 that would be great.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

amethyst wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:17 am

i915
Intel. Run Pup-SysInfo for a base report.

Does "base report" have another name? Couldnt see it in the menu.
EDIT - is this the one you mean?

Display Specifications:
• Monitor VertRefresh: 60.2 times/s
• Screen Dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
• Screen Depth: 24 bits (planes)

Xorg Startup Log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log):
• Xorg Driver in use: intel
• Loaded Modules: dbe dri2 fbdevhw glx kbd mouse synaptics
• X.Org version: 1.15.1

OpenGL 2D/3D Rendering:
• Direct Rendering: Yes
• Vendor: Intel Open Source Technology Center
• Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2
• Version: 2.1 Mesa 10.1.3

VGA controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:0046] (rev 02)
• Kernel Driver: i915
• Memory Used: 599.78 KB
• Path: /lib/modules/3.14.79/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/i915/i915.ko
• Description: Intel Graphics

peebee wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:56 am

That is probably related to the Github Kernel-kit 5.15.67 kernel.......... @dimkr

Where and on what kind of media is your install? and how formatted is the partition?

Using the original internal HDD that came with the laptop:
- Removed Windows from hard drive
- HDD partitioned as per pic:

Partition_info.jpg
Partition_info.jpg (51.6 KiB) Viewed 2596 times

- Manually installed Kinetic pup frugally into /sda2/Kinetic32_peebee (used Tahr32 to do this)
- Manually added the following stanza into menu.lst on sda1 (copied/modified this from the other menu.lst entries which were originally set up using grub4dos (v1.9.2):

title Puppy Kinetic32_peebee (sda2/Kinetic32_peebee)
  uuid 2941d455-af2b-4da3-b9cf-182678fe7eb9
  kernel /Kinetic32_peebee/vmlinuz   psubdir=Kinetic32_peebee pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck edd=off
  initrd /Kinetic32_peebee/initrd.gz

Can you swap in a kernel you know works (just copy and rename the vmlinuz and zdrv....... if you could try the 5.10 kernel from JammyPup32 that would be great.

Hmmm, havent done a kernel swap before so that will have to wait till the weekend. (Have tested another Toshiba laptop this aftrenoon and the edd probe on that laptop was fine but I had other problems that stopped it finding the main sfs. Will complete some other tests before moving on to the kernel swap)

tosim

Post by tosim »

Tried a frugal install of KineticPup32 on a flash drive that has several other Pups installed(frugal). Started to install, showed, among other stuff, usbflash; then paused for 60 seconds.
Next came several lines,one of which stated it could not find kineticpuppy.sfs, and that was that. I then shut down.

peebee

Post by peebee »

tosim wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:23 pm

Tried a frugal install of KineticPup32 on a flash drive that has several other Pups installed(frugal). Started to install, showed, among other stuff, usbflash; then paused for 60 seconds.
Next came several lines,one of which stated it could not find kineticpuppy.sfs, and that was that. I then shut down.

Maybe a menu.lst problem
or a kernel problem like greengeek

Anybody else booted successfully? (BTW works OK for me....)
Here is my menu.lst stanza:

title test7 (sdc1/test7)
uuid 6443044f-ac72-4b31-b748-027b8a833e2b
kernel /test7/vmlinuz pdrv=sdc1 psubdir=/test7 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /test7/initrd.gz

Last edited by peebee on Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tosim

Post by tosim »

@peebee I tried again, same problem.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

What does the pdrv kernel parameter do?

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

peebee wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:09 pm

Here is my boot.lst stanza:

title test7 (sdc1/test7)
uuid 6443044f-ac72-4b31-b748-027b8a833e2b
kernel /test7/vmlinuz pdrv=sdc1 psubdir=/test7 pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /test7/initrd.gz

Hi peebee, thanks for posting your boot stanza. I see that you have included the leading / in the psubdir parameter. I just tried adding that and my Toshiba Satellite Pro S500 now boots without any problems. (edd problem gone and the problem of finding the main sfs has gone away).
Strange because I have never ever needed that leading "/" before.

Here are my first findings:
- During Quicksetup and selection of timezone there is no scroll bar. This means I need to click and hold on the down arrow to get down the bottom of the list to "Pacific, Auckland". Takes a very long time.

- I can't find a synclient utility to check/adjust touchpad settings. Any tips? (I am probably just going blind...)

- Not a huge fan of purple tones so i did a colour shift on the desktop background :-)

Good things:
- Recognition of my lan and wlan adapters was automatic and getting on the internet was easy.
- "Tap-to-click" is switched off right from the start. I like this because it avoids accidental dragging and losing/deletion of directories etc during setup.
- More testing to follow

desktop.jpg
desktop.jpg (26.65 KiB) Viewed 2851 times
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Loaded Librecad from PPM and seems all good. (This is one of my critical needs for any Puppy)

librecad.jpg
librecad.jpg (42.68 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
peebee

Post by peebee »

greengeek wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:37 pm

Loaded Librecad from PPM and seems all good. (This is one of my critical needs for any Puppy)
librecad.jpg

Don't forget that KineticPup32 will be an STR (Short Term Release) expiring July 2023..... also only a PRE-RELEASE until October....

You may be better using JammyPup32 which is LTS (Long Term Support).

Last edited by peebee on Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

Post by peebee »

greengeek wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:24 pm

- I can't find a synclient utility to check/adjust touchpad settings. Any tips? (I am probably just going blind...)

Screenshot(1).png
Screenshot(1).png (195.87 KiB) Viewed 2763 times

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (30.54 KiB) Viewed 2763 times

peebee

Post by peebee »

KineticPup32-22.10+5PRE PRE-RELEASE is available

3fcc39c80bfbc1aa2dcb886c86f233c2 KineticPup32-22.10+5PRE.iso

also - LXDE ydrv

peebee

Post by peebee »

KineticPup32-22.10+0 is released.

viewtopic.php?t=7127

Return to “woof-CE”