Palemoon 31.2.0.1 - GitHub viewing errors [Solved]

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Jasper

Palemoon 31.2.0.1 - GitHub viewing errors [Solved]

Post by Jasper »

Hi there

I am using Fossapup64 and Palemoon 31.2.0.1 as my browser.

I was attempting to view a page on GitHub which listed the "Assets" but on more than one occasion it does not display and simply hangs.

I have attached a screenshot.

I do have two extensions loaded (Adblock Lattitude and Https Always), both of which have been disabled.

I have viewed other pages on GitHub and I get the same problem.

Any suggestions and advice would be welcome!!

Last edited by Jasper on Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiz57

Re: Palemoon - GitHub viewing errors

Post by Wiz57 »

Have you posted to the Palemoon forum? At the least, you should read through some of the web compatibility posts, as this seems
to be a more and more common issue with Palemoon. Related to some of the WebComponent stuff that may or may not ever be
implemented in Palemoon. My best advice for now is try a different browser, probably one based on chromium, such as one of the
un-googled chromiums (unless you utilize google stuff). This issue is not related to any Puppy Linux that I know of, it is on the
browser, Palemoon.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Jasper :-

I concur with m'colleague. Pale Moon is definitely the problem here.

You have to understand, Pale Moon arose due to a bunch of developers who didn't like the way Firefox was heading. Initially, it used the Mozilla 'Gecko' rendering engine, but latterly, they've developed their own, custom rendering engine called Goanna.

In addition to this, they now incorporate a lot of stuff from the UXP (Unified XUL Platform) Project, along with a stated determination from the PaleMoon project lead, Moonchild, that they will never, EVER include WebComponents and/or WebAssembly. He doesn't want to go that route, regardless of how much pressure he may get from community members.

They also have no intention of ever including DRM decoders like WideVine.....so no NetFlix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Spotify, etc, etc.

-----------------------------

It initially got included with Puppy because it was a nice, lightweight browser that was largely compatible with everything on the web, and didn't suffer the horrendous memory leak issues that Firefox was displaying at the time. Since which time, their code-base has been steadily diverging from that of Mozilla, and much of FF's current stuff simply isn't supported.

Personally, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot, but.....that's just me.

In all honesty, Chromium, Chrome and the 'clones' (Brave, Opera, Iron, Vivaldi, SlimJet, Yandex, etc, etc) pretty much rule the web nowadays. And you just know that if you use one of these Chromium-based browsers, then everything will just "work".

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

user1234

Post by user1234 »

Completely agree with @mikewalsh. Try opening up the console and you'd see a lot of errors there. Palemoon is kinda outdated, you know (though it is constantly updated, but the basic features that needs to be there in any browser can't be found in Palemoon). If you want an another firefox's fork (I believe Palemoon is firefox's fork), maybe because you do not have much RAM to run firefox or chrome or browsers of that sort, then I'd recommend installing Waterfox- A firefox fork.

PuppyLinux 🐾 gives new life to old computers ✨

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@Jasper,
TO FIX

go to this link using palemoon and click on palefill-1.21.xpi to install it to palemoon.
https://github.com/martok/palefill/releases/tag/v1.21

This extension fixes the palemoon browser to work fully with GitHub. This will explain it: https://github.com/martok/palefill

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

rockedge wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:27 pm

@Jasper,
TO FIX

go to this link using palemoon and click on palefill-1.21.xpi to install it to palemoon.

This extension fixes the palemoon browser to work fully with GitHub. This will explain it: https://github.com/martok/palefill

I didn't mention Palefill because some of the latest postings on the Palemoon forum have indicated problems even with it,
so while it may be the case to help in some instances, it may or may not work down the road if the extension is not updated.
Hence my advice to choose another browser...in my Puppys I keep about 3 installed..."Light" browser included with ScPup
and other versions from peebee, Palemoon from Steve Pusser's Debian builds, and ungoogled Chromium (also from peebee
via SFS)...just to hedge my bets in case a site fails in one or the other.
Wiz

Signature available upon request

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

True, and why I am using Firefox or Chromium types for GitHub interaction. Already 3 or so polyfil extensions have come and gone.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rockedge wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:27 pm

@Jasper,
TO FIX

Interesting. I shall have to give this a try myself.

Thanks, Erik. :thumbup:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@Wiz57
Yes, I have always browsed and posted on the forum with my default browser Palemoon.

@mikewalsh
Thank you for filling me in with the backstory, it helps and will let me consider a longer term solution.

@user1234
Thank you too for offering up another browser I can try out. At least I know that there are several options available to me. I do not use any Google services. However it is useful that when you browse documents that they open up easily within Chrome.

@rockedge
Not forgetting you either :thumbup: the addon did work and I can view the contents now. I could not use the link you provided (same issue of not being able to view the "Assets") but did navigate to the developer's website and fortunately there was a link there that I could use.

https://martok.github.io/palefill/

I really do like the idea that all your basic applications are included already in the OS. It gives it an easy learning curve to familiarise yourself and the inbuilt repository is a brilliant starting point.

I will look at all the options suggested so far and it's a shame that a single issue forces me to look elsewhere.

Hoping your all having a good weekend!!

bigpup

Re: Palemoon 31.2.0.1 - GitHub viewing errors [Solved]

Post by bigpup »

This is also available in Pale Moon Add-ons -> Extensions -> Other

Screenshot(1).jpg
Screenshot(1).jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 655 times

After installing.
Close and restart Pale Moon to get it to work.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Palemoon 31.2.0.1 - GitHub viewing errors [Solved]

Post by rockedge »

@bigpup First time I've seen palefil or any of the polyfill extensions before! That is convenient :thumbup2:

Return to “Users”