Sym/Relative or Absolute link?? [SOLVED]

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Jasper

Sym/Relative or Absolute link?? [SOLVED]

Post by Jasper »

Hi there
I am using FossaPup64 and would like to link a directory within the OS back to my mounted NTFS HDD.
So, that the contents that I have downloaded is stored on my HDD instead of the PupSave file.
My reason for doing so is that I am using a multi-session LiveCD and have only realised that I have a fixed 4gb PupSave file available to me.

Is this what a Sym/Relative/Absolute link would be able to achieve?

Or am I simply "barking up the wrong tree"? :D

Last edited by Jasper on Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Re: Sym/Relative or Absolute link??

Post by bigpup »

So, that the contents that I have downloaded is stored on my HDD instead of the PupSave file.

Are you talking about using a browser, selecting something to download, and it usually goes into the downloads directory?

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

geo_c

Post by geo_c »

Jasper wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:29 am

Is this what a Sym/Relative/Absolute link would be able to achieve?
Or am I simply "barking up the wrong tree"? :D

I do a lot of symlinking outside the save using mostly absolute symlinks, but that requires always keeping the directory names consistent across different installs on different devices. A relative link can also work.

I made a How-to topic found here: https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=6688 which is geared toward having a "shared" directory symlinked by multiple savefiles and installs, which might be outside your scope. You may not need the "mock" directory structure I talk about, but I think you'll get the idea by reading the how-to. For your purposes, which seem like they may be only for one machine and install, a simple relative or absolute symlink should be sufficient.

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

Thank you for the replies!!

@bigpup
Yes, that is exactly what I would like to do.
I love how this OS works and is so compact. Yesterday I kind of got my bluetooth speaker connected using Janky. Had to read the instructions several times in order to do so, but it worked. Mind you I couldn't figure out how to hear the speaker in action :lol: I really am impressed how everything is so compact and just works out the box. Having the multi-session option allows me to make mistakes or try out new applications etc without the fear that I am messing up the system files. I am sure in the future once I have more confidence I will attempt an install. Just need a little hand holding with my baby steps at the moment.

@geo_c
Thanks for sharing the link to your thread. It is very comprehensive and will have to go through the steps slowly.
Best of all, you did say it was possible :thumbup2:

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

@Jasper , here's one way of doing it via ROX. You are going to use 2 ROX screens and your PUP, to do all the work for you. Let's get started:

1. Open the "root" folder (the upper-left 'house' icon on most PUPs). This has your normal download folder

2. Open a 2nd ROX screen of your system's HDD partition you want to have your downloads reside

3. In the root screen drag your Download folder to your 2nd ROX and drop it...a pop-up will APPEAR asking you "what to do?"

4. click 'MOVE"

At this point, you have successfully moved the download folder and all of its contents to this new location.
Now, lets "link" that moved folder, that you moved properly, back to your root.

1. In the 2nd ROX screen, drag it back to the 'root' screen. ... You will, again, get a pop-up asking you "what to do?"

2. Click 'relative link'

You are done as you have used your PUP to accomplish your desire.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Just to use what most browsers have in their settings or preferences options.

Someplace in all the options should be one for downloads.
It should provide the ability for you to choose the download location, you want it to use.
So change this to a folder on the internal drive.

The internal drive does need to me mounted at all times, but if the save is on it, it is already.

Or you could set it to ask where to save files you download.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Jasper

Re: Sym/Relative or Absolute link?? [SOLVED]

Post by Jasper »

@Clarity
Thank you, your step by step guide worked perfectly first time!! :thumbup2:

@bigpup
You are right, I need to mount my HDD first and then in the browser I could specify exactly where I wanted to download the file.

My initial problem came about as I had attempted to use Wget to download a Win10 ISO and I got error messages and saw my PupSave file change from a healthy green to an angry red :lol:

Return to “Beginners Help”