WeeDogLinux is moving, long live WeeDog

New journey, new adventure, new identity, new energy, fresh air, freedom

Cha bhòrd bòrd gun aran ach 's bòrd aran leis fhèin

mcewanw

fredx181

Re: WeeDogLinux is moving, long live WeeDog

Post by fredx181 »

God save the WeeDog !

(I assume that I can trust that the source of this news is reliable ;) , not sure btw what it means exactly ... :roll: )

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mcewanw I feel like I count for nothing around here.

What's the advantage for me even bothering to run these forums and wiki? The stuff I like just goes somewhere else.

must be me. Sorry about that.

I will be all alone out here with KLV which I'll just take with me and call it a successful experiment.

I'm down to explaining a non-booting Puppy from USB over and over again and once in a while something else.

I will perhaps shut down public access to any WDL PLUG files at that time since I don't maintain them really as much.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

@rockedge Apparently I missed something, what's happening exactly ?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@fredx181 Looks like some contributor/innovators are withdrawing from the forum and I'm not sure if the technology will also be restricted. What ever it is, it's deflating my spirit a bit.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Sorry. My post (as myself, mcewanw) was playfully obscure (following on from the saturated announcements about the English monarchy). There is no change to WeeDog development/availability at all. I will however be busier than usual for throughout the coming year preparing my family in a shift to another continent. Will remain crazy busy for the year after that.

Eventually WDL may be given its own house/home and possibly re-branded in name only (long time been thinking about this) since I have never had time to publish/document the likes of weedogit, and so on, for wider Linux community use, so it is kept probably unknown to most any potential users outside of this relatively small, I feel, forum.

None of these possible eventualities effect the availability or ability to use WDL initrd in any KLV design, so any change of situation is only in terms of organisation (and time between likely major updates - basically long term stable releases just now anyway).

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

I am certainly set now on rebranding Firstrib/Weedog distro and it's build system parts to remove the word "Dog" and "Wee" from the name, in part to avoid any future mis-representation. FirstRib was original title of the project and the idea of interchangeable (construction) ribs continues to suit my simple distro build philosophy fine. Most any root filesystem can in proven fact be used as a large rib.

WDL will likely thus become FRL. Skeleton FR_initrd will then replace name skeleton WDL_initrd; seems small matter I know, but FirstRib was never a derivative of any Pup or Dog and those who pretend such do so for their own purposes, whatever these may be.

Most of all, I regret spending a few hundred dollars for long term ownership of weedoglinux.com domain - was daftly influenced by my longtime membership on previous Puppy forum but my seeking closer forum community collaboration only caused slights and aggro against my new developments. I can get over the domain cost overhead - I won't starve as a result of that mistake!!! :-)

I have new build scripts - but still have checked to do on these and slight modifications to match new names: build_fr_rootfs.sh, and build_fr_initrd.sh

The first git site ever used by the originating FirstRib project was at gitlab.com/firstrib so no resource to find for that. Since the Microsoft buyout I tend to prefer gitlab to github though who knows if Microsoft or similar will buy that out in the end anyway... I can't see me changing major initrd-related variable name forms from w_changes and so on though; that can remain as a mark of history probably (or signifies wiak_initrd), so nothing major going to change - I am too short of time already. I guess weedogit will simply become fr_it or firstrib_it, matters not, and could use subdomain wiaklinux.tinylinux.info though FirstRib doesn't care about distro size can be tiny, medium or large depending what builder wants.

I have a feeling my kid (an EndeavourOS fan - albeit using a weedogged version) wouldn't be unhappy to inherit weedoglinux domain - he doesn't visit Puppy forum so wouldn't be related to past use; he has a stuffed dog toy he still cares for that he calls Wee Dog, and is keen on javascript, Python used on websites, and other such web-app-like technologies, so having weedoglinux domain for his own purposes probably makes my owning that worthwhile now that I think of it! Yes, I will surprise him with that gift to encourage his future distro and website work, which is likely to be at a much higher level, in the end, than my own little efforts. He is only 10 at the moment after all... At the moment, I don't get the impression distro dev work interests him particularly - he more likes creating his own social media chat type apps via larger programming environments that have libraries to build such cloud apps - I know nothing about that kind of programming myself, and probably never will.

DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

It's all too complicated.

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:21 am

It's all too complicated.

What is all too complicated rockedge?

From your perspective of the components, really nothing much changing at all. The initrd.gz will remain initrd so nothing to effect KLV builds; kernel parameters staying the same. Still FirstRib, always was.

Trying to again restructure this forum is too much work and that is too complicated. Not worth doing that IMO - might make no difference to forum activity - unknown, but would certainly cause more anger/resistance from some of the Puppy crowd. Truly I now feel Puppy should be left to its own. To be frank, I find it stressful and painful being active with weedog on this forum, painful being wiak here. Being an admin is a great honour, and thanks for that, but the disadvantages and aggro make that not worth anything to me - I almost never use that admin ability for anything actually - rather, as wiak, I concentrated almost entirely in my WDL-related project developments. However, other Dogs seem fine with that Puppy umbrella - just not me. I hope things pick up here. Innovative projects are interesting to read about always. No doubt I'll keep reading, but I'll try to keep out of any discussions and hosting FirstRib elsewhere will help me personally to avoid that addiction/temptation!!!

Re-naming the few WDL component parts involves no major effort at all to me. Let's make Wiz57 (whoever he is) and bigpup happy - they are clearly not comfortable having to be moderators aside from promoting Puppy, which doesn't work for FirstRib developments and contributions of course - the day my WeeDog howto(s) began to get moderator-edited, including moved, made it just a matter of time before I had to make some decision of where and how best to offer my own work, if at all. I'm happy to make it available same as always, but it's true that it is not Puppy and not part of that distro or derivative so years of waste time aggro about forum situation. I expect some people will keep using Puppy for years yet, and that is good for you and those who currently use it and develop it, but FirstRib has nothing to do with that future. So, yes, I'm happy of course for FRL/previously-WDL to be used the way it is, and will continue to be developed, and maintained best I can afford the time - no change at all there (other than return to original project name) - but wiak's promotion of it on this forum clearly is best to end. Just on this forum though - those other distro's that want to be "Dogs" and are happy with that is fine. I don't enjoy that Dog-association under a dominant Puppy - doesn't make sense for my own work - that space/value dominance makes no sense to me at all in fact.

I'm fine with that other forum space/site WeeDog.rockedge.org by the way, except would need changed to FirstRib.rockedge.org and I'm not wanting it for any expected major discussion activities - just useful to me as an announcement of new releases site, but allows comments if anyone cares to make such. Doesn't matter though - maybe best to shut that one down since all phpBB work is just more burden for yourself and I don't need it really. Owncloud continues to hold all the wget-able download parts, and so that is useful - not essential - but I'm fine with it, and thanks anyway whatever.

As you know, my family is venturing into a new life - major change - time to sweep out old cobwebs and constantly irritating scenarios at the same time - nothing for me is going to remain the same, and I am glad about that. Maybe some would say Good Riddance to WeeDog from "Puppy Linux forum central" - I feel the same - albeit because I don't like the name WeeDog anyway and good riddance to the aggro and uncooperative ambience of some. Will help them find some extra "Peace" from the likes of my views, remarks, and non-Puppy contributions.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

Now, how easy is it to move that WeeDog section - or best just to leave it frozen as a record?

If, say, firstrib.rockedge.org is easy and moving it there temporarily - I'd do any FirstRib renaming of the section contents later.

Weedogit thread irrelevant - nothing I'd need in moving over - that's just a maintained and still developed script - I'll just be renaming that when new version released wherever rest of FirstRib goes.

But truly, nothing needs done - don't bother - can be left, but takes up unnecessary future forum space - no hurry to fix that when or if you ever want - the content will become archaic eventually though.

Please forgive me for having a lot of packing to do in the coming months and this matter here is just part of it. Nothing to do with resigning from membership of a forum - though I'm fine if pushed out - just moving contents of my house - which is psychologically a refreshing activity for me.

By the way, I downloaded your very recent Bionic32? zoneminder distro (Delta 12) - despite never getting round to it, i have always had plans for that for my own use - I keep my NZ house and want to monitor it with your polished zoneminder build; I may not test it for months, but I'll keep updating as and when new versions are released anyway.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am going to find a way to export all of the FirstRib and what was formerly known as WeeDog topics, posts and information so I can import them over at what I am going to rename to firstrib.rockedge.org

Then I am going to delete the entire, once known as WeeDog, forum sections.

I am moving KLV pages also over to firstrib.rockedge.org and deleting any trace of it from this forum.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

rockedge wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:36 am

I am going to find a way to export all of the FirstRib and what was formerly known as WeeDog topics, posts and information so I can import them over at what I am going to rename to firstrib.rockedge.org

Then I am going to delete the entire, once known as WeeDog, forum sections.

I am moving KLV pages also over to firstrib.rockedge.org and deleting any trace of it from this forum.

and a new forum for each mutt, dog and indie dev project?

if there is dissatisfaction and segregation in the kennels, wouldn't it be easier to export the purebred puppys to a shiny new lot, (or at least the ones that feel like they need an exclusive area to their own) ?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

That's what is happening. WeeDogLinux is being renamed back to FirstRib. There already is a separated forum for WDL/FirstRib which is going to be renamed tomorrow to firstrib.rockedge.org

All of the FirstRib-WeeDog-WDL and KLV topics will go there and be removed from here.

The plan is to leave this forum for Puppy Linux all by itself. Then it's up to FatDog and DebianDog to decide to stay on or go off like they would have when the murga forum collapsed.

This will really compact the home/main page and make the forum easier to digest. I think the entire International section is useless space these days. Nothing happens there at all for months at a time.

I also think the Wikka is a waste of effort and vote for it's retirement or transfer to somebody else's home server. It's a security breach waiting to happen so complete removal is recommended.

Once the forum is trimmed down back to Puppy Linux only I'm sure the stress and confusion will subside. The web traffic coming here is already a mere trickle so the site can run on auto-pilot 99% of the time so moderation will not need to interfere. Maybe EasyOS will stay on.

I think the FatDog team will prefer their own sites. DebianDog is over at GitHub.

The forum will be back in the same form as it ever was and no one at the wheel.

wiak

Post by wiak »

williwaw wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:59 am

wouldn't it be easier to export the purebred puppys to a shiny new lot, (or at least the ones that feel like they need an exclusive area to their own) ?

"purebred puppys" - my goodness, I know you yourself probably don't mean it williwaw, but that is the kind of discourse this forum has suffered from - as if something special pure about Puppy Linux compared to everyone elses original work. Almost like some weird Linux-racist propaganda when you think of the terminology of history. Total rubbish it is too. Pure woof-CE made distro (what does 'pure' even mean here - except in the minds of daft fans?) which happens to have nothing to do with the likes of WeeDog/FirstRib. Puppy Linux is just yet another Linux distro someone or some people have put together - nothing more and nothing less, same as WeeDog/FirstRib - of course any and all pure or dirty distros can have their own websites all of them if they so wish - no one moves them - except their own developers if they so choose.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

wiak wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:40 am
williwaw wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:59 am

wouldn't it be easier to export the purebred puppys to a shiny new lot, (or at least the ones that feel like they need an exclusive area to their own) ?

"purebred puppys" - my goodness, I know you yourself probably don't mean it williwaw, but that is the kind of discourse this forum has suffered from - as if something special pure about Puppy Linux compared to everyone elses original work.

Take a look at the title at the top of this webpage and try to understand the perspective of others who struggle to understand why you are apparently throwing toys out of the cot.
Your contributions are valuable to more than just Puppy Linux (obviously). But the defining characteristic of the PLDF has always been that every topic benefits from being inclusive (especially of newbies and inexperienced coders).
By virtue of your expertise and creativity much of your work is exclusive and beyond the ken of mere mortals.

Take a breath, have another dram, and please don't be hasty.

wiak

Post by wiak »

greengeek wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:48 am

try to understand the perspective of others who struggle to understand why you are apparently throwing toys out of the cot.

All 'toys' I 'make' remain available to anyone who wants them, and will continue to be so - just an organisational difference.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:38 am

That's what is happening. WeeDogLinux is being renamed back to FirstRib. There already is a separated forum for WDL/FirstRib which is going to be renamed tomorrow to firstrib.rockedge.org

All of the FirstRib-WeeDog-WDL and KLV topics will go there and be removed from here.

The plan is to leave this forum for Puppy Linux all by itself. Then it's up to FatDog and DebianDog to decide to stay on or go off like they would have when the murga forum collapsed.

You don't need to do any of these things rockedge; entirely up to yourself. I certainly don't want any effort put in concerning any firstrib.rockedge.org site - I'm too busy right now to give much support if you choose to move your KLV distro efforts there. Please understand that. My move is about my situation, not yours.

Of course, if you continue to work on KLV, wherever you do that, behind the scenes I definitely encourage the work and support it. But that could be a 'lonely' place for you - think about that - no need for you to give up what you have at all unless you have some reason of your own.

I do myself now think Puppy Linux is best on its own, but I'm only concerning myself with my own developments and future plans, which have nothing to do with Puppy, for or against - separate distro entirely.

If you are continuing with further FirstRib developments or related KLV developments that is perfectly good though - you were there very quickly at the beginning of FirstRib (as was rufwoof funnily enough...) and your plugin builds have developed accordingly into skillful creations of your own - much appreciated.

Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@wiak @rockedge - you guys seem very stressed. So much effort by both of you. Although I haven't been involved, I see by the sheer volume and intensity of
posts just how much you've invested. I admire that. Your health and the welfare of you and yours is paramount. It must be so disheartening to put in so much
effort when the traffic is small. As a community, we've seen so many devs crash and burn over the years. Please don't let your lives get to that stage.
You are worth more than that, and you are appreciated. Take care.

Grey

Post by Grey »

Linux-racist propaganda

It even became interesting how it is. And what should be counted instead of who has how many chromosomes or DNA features? Probably the number of desktop environments and installed software out of the box :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

wiak wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:40 am

"purebred puppys" - my goodness, I know you yourself probably don't mean it williwaw, but that is the kind of discourse this forum has suffered from...........

Wiak,
there are those that feel that their favorite project needs a dedicated space and/or some sort of "official" endorsement. I cannot help that some feel this way, and certainly do not condone any consequent attitudes.

Nevertheless, since attitudes exist, a dedicated place to discuss puppy only is not unreasonable if the main purpose of rockedge's efforts are to support puppy.

Apparently, Rock is also willing to host more than one forum on his server. Those who do not feel that their project needs exclusive space should most likely be able to peacefully co-exist in whatever space is offered.

Duprate

Post by Duprate »

Goodnight! Dear linux developers and users: Not a day goes by that I don't, at least take a look at the pages of this forum! The operating systems I use on my PC are a combination of the ideas presented here. So I use FatDog64, DebianDog64, Vanilladpup64, Slacko64, VoidPup64, JammyJellyfish32, Bionicpup32, initialized by the "magic initrd WDL", making a nice mix of great systems and best ideas posted here on the forum. Everything working perfectly! I like everything on this forum! The diversity of ideas, opinions and systems available here are the richness of the forum! I will continue to follow the work of developers, wherever they are. Good luck to everyone!

Return to “Announcements”