some mouse and keyboard problems in Slacko64 8.2.2

Moderator: Forum moderators

artemis

some mouse and keyboard problems in Slacko64 8.2.2

Post by artemis »

Just grabbed the lastest 8.2.2 snapshot from github actions to test it- I have had a couple problems with input on 8.2.2 that I have not had in fossapup64 or dpup.

1. I cannot do trackpoint scrolling. Usually, when I hold middle-click, I can use my thinkpad's trackpoint to scroll up/down/left/right. I'm not sure whether slacko is using libinput for evdev, but arch linux says this should be on by default with libinput but has some configuration settings to use for evdev https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/TrackP ... ton_scroll.

Something I did notice is that in slacko xinput, the trackpoint just shows up as "Mouse0". On fossapup64 it displays as "TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint". So maybe that is a hint for what is going on here.

2. When I set my keyboard layout to the workman variant, it breaks a lot of my keys like pgup/pgdown/arrow keys so that they just dont do anything. I checked and my keyboard model is set to the right model (any of the generic models work). And they work in normal QWERTY. Very strange thing I am not sure how to debug.

Last edited by bigpup on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited the specific Slacko name in subject, so it identifies that it is 64 bit OS
Flash

Re: some mouse and keyboard problems in Slacko64 8.2.2

Post by Flash »

artemis wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:31 pm

...2. When I set my keyboard layout to the workman variant, it breaks a lot of my keys like pgup/pgdown/arrow keys so that they just don't do anything. I checked and my keyboard model is set to the right model (any of the generic models work). And they work in normal QWERTY. Very strange thing I am not sure how to debug.

I recently had a similar problem. It was solved when I discovered that one of the Shift keys was sticking and switched to a different keyboard.
I didn't reboot, I just unplugged the old keyboard from the USB socket, plugged the new one in and it worked.

Chaos coordinator :?
williams2

Post by williams2 »

If you are using xorg. are you using evdev rules in /etc/X11/xorg.conf? (if you have an xorg.conf fiile)

In my xorg.conf, I have:

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"

Section "InputClass"
Driver "evdev"

What does your configuration look like?
If I Switch from the us keymap to a workman layout, like this:

Code: Select all

# us layout
# setxkbmap us

Code: Select all

# workman layout
# setxkbmap us -variant workman

it seems to work ok (pgup, pgdn, arrow keys)
and the Colemak keymap also works.

Do you nned the intl variant?

Are you using the keyboard wizard in the menu?

Or are you using Wayland?

Average72

Post by Average72 »

I had a similar problem with the keyboard. All I did is go in the "exit" menu and restart the graphical server, then the keyboard was OK.

dimkr

Post by dimkr »

I think https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3204 should fix the problem.

EDIT: I triggered build #218, with the fix.

EDIT 2: to clarify, a modern Puppy built with woof-CE will probably use libinput and not the legacy evdev/kbd/etc' drivers. Since https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/woof-CE/pull/3130, a Puppy that uses libinput (= any modern Puppy) has an improved input device settings wizard with things like left-handed mode and natural scrolling. This new wizard doesn't edit xorg.conf, and uses udev rules + startup scripts + ~/.inputrc instead, so it doesn't depend on X. In addition, the keyboard settings wizard no longer modifies xorg.conf, and uses ~/.xkbrc.

Return to “Slacko”