FossaPup Running Slow On Netbook

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

jm03

Re: FossaPup Running Slow On Netbook

Post by jm03 »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:31 am
jm03 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:12 am What do you mean that you are running Chrome as "spot" by way of "Login and Security Manager"?

Could you please elaborate on this point, explaining what exactly you did?

Also, is it necessary to run as "spot"? Can't I just run it as root?
Menu -> System -> Login and Security Manager

If you open "Login and Security Manager," I hope you will have some idea of user "spot."
Running Internet applications as spot is believed to be more secure, because spot is a kind of non-administrator.
Run as root, Chrome is working without sandbox.

If you have /root/.config/google-chrome, you are running Chrome as root.
If you have /root/spot/.config/google-chrome, you are running Chrome as spot.
(To see hidden directories/files, you need to press the "eyeball" icon.)

To enable user "spot," there are two ways. One is to use "Login and Security Manager," and the other is to use run-as-spot command.
In the window of "Login and Security Manager," google-chrome-stable is checked from the beginning. But this is misleading, because user "spot" is enabled when the status is changed from off to on.

So, using run-as-spot command will be more handy. For example,
# run-as-spot google-chrome-stable --disk-cache-dir=/tmp --disk-cache-size=10485760 --media-cache-size=10485760

If you are running Chrome as root, you don't have to bother to switch to user "spot." Starting it as spot creates a new profile.
Hi thinkpadfreak,

I used your method to find out whether Google Chrome was operating as "root" or as "spot", and it appears to be running as "spot".

I tried doing "run-as-spot", but with this technique for some reason the arguments of this command ("--disk-cache-dir=...etc") showed up in the address bar of Chrome, and Chrome tried to open it up as it would with a web address.

A bit confusing.

Kind Regards,

John
Melbourne, Australia
thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

jm03 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:04 am I used your method to find out whether Google Chrome was operating as "root" or as "spot", and it appears to be running as "spot".

I tried doing "run-as-spot", but with this technique for some reason the arguments of this command ("--disk-cache-dir=...etc") showed up in the address bar of Chrome, and Chrome tried to open it up as it would with a web address.
This is a little difficult to explain. It may matter where you obtained Chrome from.

foxpup wrote:
If you got/installed Chrome from a Puppy source, then this should have been taken care of already.
Some of the browser packages introduced in this forum are already configured so that it may be run as spot. The cache directory or cache size may be pre-configured.
In such cases, adding run-as-spot command or some command options might lead to an unusual behaviour.

I am running Chrome directly obtained from google. Otherwise what I stated might not apply. So if you are running Chrome obtained from "a Puppy source," forget about what I wrote. But limiting the cache size is always important.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

People seem to think running as spot is more than it really is.

Spot was developed to be able to run programs that access the internet and limit what THAT program can do as to downloading and writing in the Puppy file system.
Example:
A browser that is run as spot.
The home directory for spot is /home/spot, and a browser will only be able to (normally) edit/create/write files inside /home/spot.
It will not be able to do it in any other place in the Puppy file system.
That is the idea of spot.

You are still the root user running Puppy with all the abilities of root.

Spot is not, a limited ability, different user from root, running Puppy.

Kind of a side benefit of running as spot.
Programs that refuse to run by user root.
Seem to be willing to run if run as spot.
It tricks them into thinking they are not being run by the root user.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

jm03

Post by jm03 »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:51 am
jm03 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:04 am I used your method to find out whether Google Chrome was operating as "root" or as "spot", and it appears to be running as "spot".

This is a little difficult to explain. It may matter where you obtained Chrome from.

foxpup wrote:
If you got/installed Chrome from a Puppy source, then this should have been taken care of already.
Some of the browser packages introduced in this forum are already configured so that it may be run as spot. The cache directory or cache size may be pre-configured.
In such cases, adding run-as-spot command or some command options might lead to an unusual behaviour.

I am running Chrome directly obtained from google. Otherwise what I stated might not apply. So if you are running Chrome obtained from "a Puppy source," forget about what I wrote. But limiting the cache size is always important.

Hi thinkpadfreak,

I got my Google Chrome directly from Google too.

Kind Regards,

John
jm03

Post by jm03 »

bigpup wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:29 am People seem to think running as spot is more than it really is.

Spot was developed to be able to run programs that access the internet and limit what THAT program can do as to downloading and writing in the Puppy file system.
Example:
A browser that is run as spot.
The home directory for spot is /home/spot, and a browser will only be able to (normally) edit/create/write files inside /home/spot.
It will not be able to do it in any other place in the Puppy file system.
That is the idea of spot.

You are still the root user running Puppy with all the abilities of root.

Spot is not, a limited ability, different user from root, running Puppy.

Kind of a side benefit of running as spot.
Programs that refuse to run by user root.
Seem to be willing to run if run as spot.
It tricks them into thinking they are not being run by the root user.
Thanks for this explanation, bigpup
thinkpadfreak

Post by thinkpadfreak »

Did you set up user "spot" with "Login and Security Manager"?

If you obtain Chrome directly from google, in oder to run it as spot, you need to set up with "Login and Security Manager" or use run-as-spot command. You cannot do both.

So, if you have set up with "Login and Security Manager," the command will be:

Code: Select all

# google-chrome-stable --disk-cache-dir=/tmp --disk-cache-size=10485760 --media-cache-size=10485760
If you are going to use "run-as-spot," the command will be:

# run-as-spot google-chrome-stable --disk-cache-dir=/tmp --disk-cache-size=10485760 --media-cache-size=10485760
If you would like to run Chrome as root, the command will be:

# google-chrome-stable --no-sandbox --disk-cache-dir=/tmp --disk-cache-size=10485760 --media-cache-size=10485760
(In this case, google-chrome-stable has to be unchecked with "Login and Security Manager" before Chrome starts.)

Any way will do as long as Chrome works.
jm03

Post by jm03 »

thinkpadfreak wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:26 pm
Did you set up user "spot" with "Login and Security Manager"?

If you obtain Chrome directly from google, in oder to run it as spot, you need to set up with "Login and Security Manager" or use run-as-spot command. You cannot do both.

So, if you have set up with "Login and Security Manager," the command will be:

# google-chrome-stable --disk-cache-dir=/tmp --disk-cache-size=10485760 --media-cache-size=10485760
If you are going to use "run-as-spot," the command will be:

If you would like to run Chrome as root, the command will be:

# google-chrome-stable --no-sandbox --disk-cache-dir=/tmp --disk-cache-size=10485760 --media-cache-size=10485760
(In this case, google-chrome-stable has to be unchecked with "Login and Security Manager" before Chrome starts.)

Any way will do as long as Chrome works.
Hi thinkpadfreak,

I checked "Login and Security Manager" and "google-chrome-stable" is already ticked.

I'm not sure why it's already ticked.

It could be due to the fact that I executed it with "run-as-spot" once.

It's working fine now, so I'm happy with it.

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

John
Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Beginners Help”