Vivaldi 'portable' browser - 32-bit & 64-bit

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikeslr

Re: Vivaldi 'portable' browser - 32-bit & 64-bit

Post by mikeslr »

gychang wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:49 pm
xenial wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:08 am

have you tried the vivaldi portable available on this forum?
3.7 would be the last stable version for 32bit.

I tried the 32bit version from this thread and does not work for me.

Doesn't tell us much.

In the vivaldi portable folder is another named vivaldi. And in that are two files. One named vivaldi-pup; another named vivaldi-bin. Examine vivaldi-bin with list-dd. What's missing?
Try starting vivaldi-pup via a terminal. What errors are reported?
If tahrpup doesn't have list-dd it can be downloaded from here, viewtopic.php?t=3554

Of-hand guess: Tahrpup doesn't have gtk-3. If so, install Mike Walsh's pet, https://www.mediafire.com/file/z9p65cgf ... e.pet/file. Disregard the 'precise' designation. It's actually 'no-arch' AFAIK. Have used it in many 32-bit Puppies.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@gychang :-

Now then, Greg. I've done a re-build to the 32-bit 'legacy' Vivaldi, to bring it more into line with the layout used by all the other portables.....along with the ability to add/remove a MenuEntry.

I am NOT going to start doing regular updates to 64-bit Vivaldi; I no longer use it myself, and have too much other stuff to keep on top of as it is. I didn't mind modernising this one 'cos it'll not need doing again.

I'm currently posting from it in Tahrpup 6.0.6.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Do us a favour, willya? in the Vivaldi directory - same level as the 'LAUNCH' script - rt-clk->Window->Terminal here. Type in

Code: Select all

./LAUNCH

....hit 'Enter', and copy/paste the output into your next post please. Should give us some idea of what we're dealing with.

Tahrpup 6.0.5 didn't come with GTK-3 installed. Tahrpup 6.0.6, however, did.

If you need the GTK-3 stuff, you'll find a .pet for the Trusty libs added alongside the Precise .pet at Mike's link, above. Better still, here's a direct link to the Trusty GTK-3 .pet:-

https://www.mediafire.com/file/oglt88cv ... y.pet/file

Let us have that terminal readout, please.

-------------------------------------

BTW, talking of terminal readouts,I was looking at your one on the previous page, where you said you tried it in JammyPup? You were talking about the LAUNCH script, but from the readout it looked as though you'd simply transferred the 'vivaldi' directory straight from the official download? EDIT:- Ah, no, you're right. I'd originally written the launcher to run through those before starting the browser. The re-build has had 'vivaldi-bin' and 'LAUNCH' combined, with some extraneous stuff removed. The existing libffmpeg will continue to work, because Chromium-based browsers always want a specific version to go with whatever the Chromium base is that they're built on top of. This won't ever change with the legacy version - no more updates coming down the tubes! - so libffmpeg won't need updating.

Widevine is redundant nowadays, because Google deprecated the 32-bit version nearly two years ago, so.....no NetFlix, or Spotify, or Hulu, or Amazon Prime, I'm afraid. At least, not with the 32-bit builds! Google have been pushing for everyone to switch to 64-bit for several years, and this was just another way to convince you; the 32-bit Widevine module is still functional, but there's nobody at the other end for it to 'talk to' any longer.....because Google switched the 32-bit validation servers off.

I'm pretty sure t'other Mike's right. You're on 6.0.5, so you will need GTK-3.0 for this to behave itself. Download & install the .pet from the link above, and download the re-built version from my Mega a/c. The see what happens.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

gychang

Post by gychang »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:18 pm

Now then, Greg. I've done a re-build to the 32-bit 'legacy' Vivaldi, to bring it more into line with the layout used by all the other portables.....along with the ability to add/remove a MenuEntry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Do us a favour, willya? in the Vivaldi directory - same level as the 'LAUNCH' script - rt-clk->Window->Terminal here. Type in

./LAUNCH

....hit 'Enter', and copy/paste the output into your next post please. Should give us some idea of what we're dealing with.

Mike. ;)

Mike, is the file Vivaldi-portable32.tar.gz file correct?, The correct file should have Vivaldi-portable32.tar.xz extension....Oh, I got it , under legacy vivalidi, July 2022, will check it out today. thanks for all your efforts.

======

Puppy Bytes, utube videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-DUU ... u62_iqR-MA

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@gychang:-

Yeah; sorry if it's confusing - "Legacy" is the one you want, BTW - but I'm moving over to tar.xz compression from tar.gz, because it results in significantly smaller file sizes. Means my cloud a/cs won't fill up quite so fast!

Let us know how you get on with it.....and if you ARE on Tahrpup 6.0.5 as opposed to the slightly newer 6.0.6, then you WILL need that GTK-3 .pet package I linked to. So install that first.

Mike. ;)

gychang

Post by gychang »

@Mike: your Vivaldi-portable32 works well in bionicpup32 and xenialpup32. On my rig very smooth and quick, better than default palemoon, firefoxESR, chromiumBB, Seamonkey-portable Newmoon-portable. I tried them all... MochiMoppel's cheat on how to watch utube without ads, has minor bug in that 2 youtube video tabs get launched but only one gets played. This may not be Vivaldi's fault... Very well done Mike :thumbup: :thumbup: , gave up on Tahrpup32 for now on my rig.

======

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Glad you like it.....and sorry to hear Tahrpup didn't work out for you. I have something of a soft spot for it, because the Ubuntu original, 14.04 'Trusty Tahr', was the very first Linux distro I experimented with.....and PhilB's 'take' on it was the first ever Puppy to run OOTB all the way to desktop on the old Dell lappie, without issues. So I'm grateful to it on two fronts!

(I'm in Vivaldi myself ATM, running from a Xenial chroot in my re-built, 'custom' Slacko 5.6.0. I'd forgotten how quick the 32-bit version was...)

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

gychang wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:53 pm

MochiMoppel's cheat on how to watch utube without ads, has minor bug in that 2 youtube video tabs get launched but only one gets played. This may not be Vivaldi's fault...

... and it can't possibly your setup either? Then must be MochiMoppel's fault. Did you try to contact him?

Last edited by MochiMoppel on Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:34 pm

(I'm in Vivaldi myself ATM, running from a Xenial chroot in my re-built, 'custom' Slacko 5.6.0. I'd forgotten how quick the 32-bit version was...)

May I ask you about the ingredients of your 'custom' Slacko 5.6.0 ? Using Slacko 5.6 myself I never succeeded to run Vivaldi

gychang

Post by gychang »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:35 am
gychang wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:53 pm

MochiMoppel's cheat on how to watch utube without ads, has minor bug in that 2 youtube video tabs get launched but only one gets played. This may not be Vivaldi's fault...

... and it can't possibly your setup either? Then must be MochiMoppel's fault. Did you try to contact him?

as I am aware of MochiMoppels programming prowess, I am not at a level to say anyones fault especially MMs... I have to think it must be my oversight or my setup but with Vivaldi I do get 2 tabs when I use youtube ads block... but not with Palemoon.

======

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:41 am
mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:34 pm

May I ask you about the ingredients of your 'custom' Slacko 5.6.0 ? Using Slacko 5.6 myself I never succeeded to run Vivaldi

Of course you can, Mochi......but I don't think it'll help you much.

The thing is just 'hacked' together, and I didn't put as much thought into it as I would have liked to. I know a little bit more about some of the stuff involved now than I did then, but I no longer have the enthusiasm or the time for yet another re-master.

I'm using the k4.1.48 kernel from radky's DPup 'Stretch', and I re-built the main SFS to include both this and the associated firmware Roger included in Stretch, along with battleshooter's glibc-2.20 'tweak' she originally put together for folks that wanted to run Chrome in Carolina. (Jemimah may have had some input on this, too; I'm not sure). I tried using a slightly newer libstdc++.so.6, too, but too many things simply refused to function when I did, so I decided to revert that one. I also 'upgraded' libdbus slightly, and libcrypto & libssl for the newer security functions. Other than that, it's bog-standard.

The snag with trying to run current Chromium 'clones' with these older Puppies now is that there's a whole heap of things that want updating. In their turn, these then want newer versions of many others. In all honesty, by the time you've finished you've almost re-built the thing into what amounts to a newer Puppy, so.....

.....I gave up on that course of action a while ago.

----------------------------------------------------------

Since I have so much RAM & storage space with this new HP rig, I find it simpler to maintain a pair of chroots on a remote external partition; one 32-bit - currently Xenialpup-based - and one 64-bit (Fossapup64-based). Anything that has "newer" requirements than some of the older inhabitants of the kennels can supply natively, I set-up in the appropriate chroot and run from there instead. Works very well for me, but not everybody has either the space OR the desire to do this.

The 'portable' build technique makes setting stuff up in the chroots an absolute doddle. Link the chroot into '/' - I use '/cont'. Stick the portables in /cont/opt, relative link 'LAUNCH' to an appropriate name in /cont/usr/bin, then use the chroot launch script watchdog pioneered in the community a few years ago from /usr/bin in the 'host' Puppy to fire them up. Set up a Menu entry if you want one.

(I see no reason why you couldn't set up a Puppy chroot, complete with required apps, on a fast USB stick - preferably USB 3.0.....and run the whole thing from there).

Very rarely does it fail to work; on the few occasions it does, it nearly always turns out the item in question was usually compiled/built from a rolling distro like Arch, where absolutely everything is constantly kept bang up-to-date, and a lot of stuff is even newer than the newest Puppies or Dogs can supply.....

You DID ask nicely, so.....I hope I haven't bored ya too much.

Mike. ;)

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

This 'double tab' thing is nowt to do with Mochi's scripting, Greg. It's nothing specifically to do with Vivaldi OR your set-up, either; it appears to be a long-standing, endemic 'bug' in the Chromium code-base, and for some crazy reason it affects 32-bit compiles to a greater degree than it does 64-bit ones.

I noticed it quite a while back. I use 32-bit Iron as the default browser in some of my 32-bitzers. If I go to open a Thunderbird link in the 'default' browser, up pops Iron, as it should.....but with two identical tabs showing for the same link.

I haven't yet found a way to stop it from performing its party trick, and I gave up worrying about it some time ago. Sure, it's annoying.....but ya CAN live with it. Especially when it's out of your control.

Mike. ;)

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:10 pm

.I hope I haven't bored ya too much.

Just enough to let me forget about this frivolous idea :lol:

@gychang I've seen the problem in your nice video (I like how you explain what to click in Mike's Vivaldi thread).
Everything seems OK...except for your shortcut. Isn't Ctrl+U already used by Vivaldi to show the page source? I wonder why your ROX-Filer shortcut works at all. What happens if you just click on the desktop icon?

gychang

Post by gychang »

MochiMoppel wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:47 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:10 pm

.I hope I haven't bored ya too much.

J
@gychang I've seen the problem in your nice video (I like how you explain what to click in Mike's Vivaldi thread).
Everything seems OK...except for your shortcut. Isn't Ctrl+U already used by Vivaldi to show the page source? I wonder why your ROX-Filer shortcut works at all. What happens if you just click on the desktop icon?

good idea, I disabled most of keyboard shortcuts in Vivaldi since I use keyboard shortcuts frequently for other tasks. When I just click on the desktop icon, I do get a message saying xclip or xset is needed. I also tried chaing the Ctrl-U to Ctrl-M and same double tab occurs. Anyway a great utility u came up with.

======

======

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

gychang wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:57 pm

. When I just click on the desktop icon, I do get a message saying xclip or xset is needed.

:shock: That's impossible - or a miracle. After copying the URL to the clipboard it doesn't matter if you use your Ctrl+U shortcut or click on the icon. Both do the same thing, they invoke the script. If Ctrl+U works for you, so should an icon click. The script wouldn't work without an installed xclip or xsel, but xclip is installed in Xenial. So no matter how I look at it, if you get this message it makes no sense to me.

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:25 pm

This 'double tab' thing is nowt to do with Mochi's scripting, Greg. It's nothing specifically to do with Vivaldi OR your set-up, either; it appears to be a long-standing, endemic 'bug' in the Chromium code-base, <snip> Sure, it's annoying.....but ya CAN live with it. Especially when it's out of your control.

It's in YOUR control, Mike, because it's a bug in your LAUNCH script :o

I tried Vivaldi32 in Xenial (I'm now posting from it). Lots of errors when starting from command line and also while running Vivaldi, but somehow Vivaldi works. I get the same double tabs. This is not surprising because the last line in LAUNCH reads

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin" "$@" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --no-sandbox --disable-infobars "$@"

First I stumbled on -a "$0". This gives the new process the complete path to LAUCH as a process name. Why do you need a process name at all? And why with such a weird name? Maybe no harm done, but just odd.

The double tabs occur because you let Vivaldi open the passed URLs twice. See the "$@" ? This holds the passed URLs and customarily it is the last argument.
In your case it is too, but there is another here: ... vivaldi-bin" "$@" --user-data-dir....
Remove it and you'll get rid of double tabs.

gychang

Post by gychang »

MochiMoppel wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 am

The double tabs occur because you let Vivaldi open the passed URLs twice. See the "$@" ? This holds the passed URLs and customarily it is the last argument.
In your case it is too, but there is another here: ... vivaldi-bin" "$@" --user-data-dir....

It works!, MM, u r amazing!!! :thumbup2: :thumbup2:

======

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

MochiMoppel wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:00 am
mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:25 pm

This 'double tab' thing is nowt to do with Mochi's scripting, Greg. It's nothing specifically to do with Vivaldi OR your set-up, either; it appears to be a long-standing, endemic 'bug' in the Chromium code-base, <snip> Sure, it's annoying.....but ya CAN live with it. Especially when it's out of your control.

It's in YOUR control, Mike, because it's a bug in your LAUNCH script :o

I tried Vivaldi32 in Xenial (I'm now posting from it). Lots of errors when starting from command line and also while running Vivaldi, but somehow Vivaldi works. I get the same double tabs. This is not surprising because the last line in LAUNCH reads

exec -a "$0" "$HERE/vivaldi/vivaldi-bin" "$@" --user-data-dir=$HERE/PROFILE --no-sandbox --disable-infobars "$@"

First I stumbled on -a "$0". This gives the new process the complete path to LAUCH as a process name. Why do you need a process name at all? And why with such a weird name? Maybe no harm done, but just odd.

.....which all goes to prove what I keep telling everybody. I am NOT a 'coder' or a 'script-kiddie'. 90% of what I read in scripts or in the terminal I do NOT understand.

I'm a "bumbler". More often than not, I try things out at random until summat works for me (well, OK; I'm guess I'm probably not quite that clueless, but I'm certainly no expert when it comes down to the nitty-gritty of much of what Bash does, or how you use it correctly.....and it's getting so I no longer have the enthusiasm to learn stuff that I had in the early days).

If something works for me, I'll re-use it. Not very original, I'll grant you, but hey! if it does the job, that's good enough for me.

Anyway; thank you very much for the explanation. It's much appreciated. That's something I've learnt today!

That exec line is merely a modification of the one most of the 'clone' developers use in their own launch wrapper scripts, although I don't know quite how that extra "$@" snuck in. It still worked, so it seemed as if it wasn't that important... They all use 'exec -a "$0"', and I've found that if you don't use it the browsers get all snotty about something not to their liking, and generally refuse to run. So I leave it in.....and as far as 'vivaldi-bin' being an odd process name is concerned, that's the Vivaldi devs' doing, not mine!

Like the 'zilla browsers, the bulk of the 'clones' resides in a huge 'shared' library.....but where the 'zilla browsers fire this up via a small binary, that's where the similarity ends. The Chromium clones don't do it this way; they fire the shared library up directly via a wrapper script instead.....and you've no choice but to use whatever name the devs have given this large shared library.

With regard to the seemingly endless list of errors in the terminal when you run Vivaldi - or ANY Chromium 'clone' for that matter - these browsers ARE very 'noisy' in the terminal. This is normal for these browsers, and is to be expected; Google have them set-up this way to give an ongoing, real-time debug report every second they're running.....mostly for the benefit of developers. (Very quick history lesson, if you don't already know; the Chromium Project is Google's btrowser R&D department. They sponsor it, and it's from where they grab the code for Chrome itself). There is SO much in the way of built-in 'redundancy' routines, that even if you run them in a mainstream distro where they've been specifically re-compiled for that distro by experts, you will STILL get a laundry-list of errors when running them. There is no getting away from this.

Try running Firefox from the terminal. What you will see is not so much different.

Mike. ;)

gychang

Post by gychang »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:18 pm

./LAUNCH

Let us have that terminal readout, please.

Mike. ;)

Sorry for the delay here is the output of the command.

root@studio /opt/Vivaldi-portable32 # ./LAUNCH
Fontconfig warning: "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf", line 86: unknown element "blank"
[9228:9228:0729/112345.031596:ERROR:browser_dm_token_storage_linux.cc(94)] Error: /etc/machine-id contains 0 characters (32 were expected).
[9228:9324:0729/112345.227852:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[9228:9324:0729/112345.227938:ERROR:bus.cc(393)] Failed to connect to the bus: Could not parse server address: Unknown address type (examples of valid types are "tcp" and on UNIX "unix")
[9228:9353:0729/112345.326129:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(621)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties.Get: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[9228:9353:0729/112345.326438:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(621)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.GetDisplayDevice: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[9228:9353:0729/112345.326893:ERROR:object_proxy.cc(621)] Failed to call method: org.freedesktop.UPower.EnumerateDevices: object_path= /org/freedesktop/UPower: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.UPower was not provided by any .service files
[9279:9279:0729/112345.420823:ERROR:angle_platform_impl.cc(43)] renderergl_utils.cpp:2152 (ClearErrors): Preexisting GL error 0x00000500 as of ../../chromium/third_party/angle/src/libANGLE/renderer/gl/TextureGL.cpp, setImageHelper:256. 
[9228:9347:0729/112345.483849:ERROR:nss_util.cc(169)] Error initializing NSS with a persistent database (sql:/root/.pki/nssdb): libsoftokn3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[9228:9347:0729/112345.483943:ERROR:nss_util.cc(127)] Error initializing NSS without a persistent database: NSS error code: -5925
[9228:9347:0729/112345.483967:FATAL:nss_util.cc(129)] nss_error=-5925, os_error=0
[9286:9308:0729/112345.490895:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl.cc(924)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
Trace/breakpoint trap
root@studio /opt/Vivaldi-portable32 # [9286:9308:0729/112345.493008:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl.cc(924)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
[9286:9308:0729/112345.493935:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl.cc(924)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
[9286:9308:0729/112345.494083:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl.cc(924)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
[9286:9308:0729/112345.494281:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl.cc(924)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3
[9286:9308:0729/112345.494459:ERROR:ssl_client_socket_impl.cc(924)] handshake failed; returned -1, SSL error code 1, net_error -3

======

======

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

See here :- https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 887#p63887

.....and let us know if that's fixed it, please. I'm not chasing this up any further, because I'm starting to get fed-up with it now. :shock:

Mike. )

gychang

Post by gychang »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:18 pm

See here :- https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 887#p63887

.....and let us know if that's fixed it, please. I'm not chasing this up any further, because I'm starting to get fed-up with it now. :shock:

Mike. )

@mikewalsh I really appreciate all your efforts and careful instructions. I followed best I could but after ./LAUNCH, just my left half of my display stays white. It maybe my wrong doing, running so many different 32bit pups in my 64bit laptop, not to mention my incompetence at my advanced age... :lol:

======

======

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Thanks for this - the 32bit version seems to be working fine ootb on VanillaDpup32. Good to have as many alternative browsers as possible.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@greengeek :-

I've "abandoned" the Vivaldi-portable, to all intents & purposes. I'll sporadically look at it, but it's not one of my favourites - too many pointless 'features' for my liking - and there's a limit to the number of 'portables' I can keep on top of!

The 32-bit version works well, I'll grant you. It's the final, 'legacy' release; nicely stable, and released before most of the silly 'features' made it in. I use it myself in my 32-bit Pups, and am quite happy with it.

Mike. ;)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Mike,

Maybe reconsider your abandonment of Vivaldi. With pulse-audio becoming the norm, neither Iron nor Slimjet can produce sound. Vivaldi does.
I agree with you that a lot its 'features' are just gimmicks. But they can be turned off, hidden or just ignored. It might be a little faster than Brave.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”