Chromebook PC con Linux Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moderator: fredx181

soniabu

Chromebook PC con Linux Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post by soniabu »

Hello everybody.
I would like to buy a Chromebook PC but use Linux (better Ubuntu Focal Fossa 20.04) to make the Chromebook more versatile.
Are there any of you who have done this experiment?
Have you any suggestions on this or can you give me some useful readings on the subject?
thanks Sonia

Feek

Re: Chromebook PC con Linux Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post by Feek »

I saw this thread about Chromebooks recently (but sorry, I'm not a chromebook user).

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

If you want specific info on using Ubuntu on a Chromebook.
You need to go to the Ubuntu forum or Ubuntu support, for that info.
I have no idea on Running Ubuntu on a Chromebook.
That link to the topic on running Puppy on a Chromebook, will give you all the info you may need, to run Puppy Linux on one.

I have a Chromebook that I run Puppy Fossapup64 9.5.
Also several other different Puppy versions.
After you convert the bios firmware, to make it work like a normal computer.
About any Linux operating system can run on it.

All the Puppy versions I have tried on my Chromebook seem to work OK.
No issues except one, audio.

Getting audio to work, on different models of Chromebooks, seems to be the moving target.
That topic on running Puppy on a Chromebook, will provide several ways to get audio working.
Really depends on the Chromebook, as to what you need to do.

Do make sure the Chromebook you want to buy is not using an ARM processor.
Make sure it is a X86-64 or AMD64 processor.
Puppy Linux and normal Linux OS's, will not work on ARM architecture computers.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

don570

Post by don570 »

Gallium OS is a good choice for an OS that will run on many chromebooks
Here is current list...
https://wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

It has good compatibiity with sound.

soniabu

Re: Chromebook PC con Linux 20.04 Focal Fossa

Post by soniabu »

thanks to all of the answers and indications, now I will read the documentation.
My intention is to use the Chromebook with the puppy system as I do now with FossaDog on Pc Asus 64bit using a USB port and a pen on which I have installed FocalFossa 20.04; so I can use both Puppy and, if I need it, even Chrome OS.
Thanks for the information on the ARM processor. so I have to buy either Intel or Ryzen.
Thank you.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@soniabu - Chromebooks (since 2019) are versatile - most (all?) come with optional Crostini - Debian Bullseye, which runs in a container & works (almost) seamlessly with ChromeOS. I've bought an HP14a & 2 Lenovo ideapad slim 3i (a 15.6" & an 11.6" screen). I have Libreoffice, Smplayer, Thunderbird, Firefox, Mousepad etc, installed via apt-get, as well as Android apps. Best of both worlds. To check if a Chromebook supports Crostini, open chrome browser, run chrome://flags , and search for crostini. I had to do an immediate update via settings, then the crostini option became available via advanced->developers.

Last edited by ozsouth on Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
soniabu

Post by soniabu »

thanks Ozsouth,
I am comforted to know all this; furthermore I was also pleased that you indicated your hardware as I am a bit worried about which one to choose.
thanks OZ you were very helpful and courteous.
sonia

wizard

Post by wizard »

@soniabu

This link that bigpup listed will help you choose a Chromebook that will be compatible:
https://mrchromebox.tech/#devices

The newer models do have more capability, but I configured these two older models from 2014-2016 bought cheaply from Ebay that work very well:
Acer CB3-431
Lenovo 11e

Each had different CPU options and I chose ones with quad cores. Both are now triple boot, ChromeOS on internal drive, Gallium Linux (Xubuntu), and Fossapup64 running from USB. Gallium runs OOTB, Fossapup64 takes a little more work. You can find the details for both in the Chromebook topic listed above.

Here's a shot of the Lenovo 11e (Fossa with Windows 11 theme), note the very small Sandisk Ultra Fit USB flash drive on the left just in front of the power connector.

wizard

11e2.jpg
11e2.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

Big pile of OLD computers

soniabu

Post by soniabu »

great wizard! thank you very much & ozs.
that address for compatibilities will help me in choosing.
I really intend to organize the Chromebook as you did.
Thanks again Wiz

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

Its really, really smart to investigate the chromebook you are considering very closely. I recently got a Dell some guy on ebay offered me for $12 shipped (+$1 tax), found a blog with exactly same chromebook WITH PICS. Made it mostly into following the recipe. This chromebook cheap cause the chromeos had expired, no more updates for you and it had the small 15GB eMMC drive. Guy said it had screen problems. Three tiny white spots, big whoop.

Now once I had the MrChromebox UEFI bios installed, then frankly could boot nearly any 64bit system capable of booting via UEFI. The trouble was sound driver, its rare one. There is a kernel you can add to FossaPup to support it. See that thread mentioned earlier. But EasyOS, Knoppix, MX, couple dogs, cant remember all I tried. All booted. But ended up of the ones I had copies of already downloaded (limited data) MX21 and Debian11 were only ones that supported sound out of box. So MX21 it was. Works fine. Since internal drive limited to 15GB, preferred Knoppix or Easy/Puppy, seriously Knoppix gives huge amount software all compressed to size of one dvd, all preinstalled and compressed. Just saying. But Puppy pretty efficient too.

So after you do your homework and find one that linux is pretty easy to install with hardware supported, then make your choice. Always best to get the biggest internal drive you can, but even minimal 15GB one if you are going to nuke chromeos, is livable. The 15GB ones are being phased out so tend to be real bargains and of course you can boot from external usb drive if thats not too much hassle for your situation. Personally I dont see lot point in chromeos, install chrome browser if you want chrome, big whoop. Still use all the chrome extensions.

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@mouldy - I've come to appreciate modern chromeos (I have 7 years of updates left), due to the regular auto (or prompted) updating.
Crostini really is a game changer - I can use its debian bullseye without bothering with chrome if I want to (I have firefox esr installed in it plus heaps of
other linux apps via apt-get), but can still access Android apps if I want to. I got fed up with constant manual updates in Puppy. This sure floats my boat.
That said, it's great to see effective repurposing of older chromebooks & actual models listed.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

ozsouth wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:13 pm

@mouldy - I've come to appreciate modern chromeos (I have 7 years of updates left), due to the regular auto (or prompted) updating.
Crostini really is a game changer - I can use its debian bullseye without bothering with chrome if I want to (I have firefox esr installed in it plus heaps of
other linux apps via apt-get), but can still access Android apps if I want to. I got fed up with constant manual updates in Puppy. This sure floats my boat.
That said, it's great to see effective repurposing of older chromebooks & actual models listed.

So what can you do with chromeos or crostini/android containers without establishing a Google account? Seriously, the $12 chromebook that is my only brief experience with chromeos and it didnt do crostini/android. But chromeos was very limited as "guest". It also only offered to connect via wifi. I had to create a hotspot on linux computer to connect and be able to surf. Actually wouldnt bothered at all except the MrChromebox scripts required I be connected.

As to forced updates, I am so not impressed with big brother ideals, whatever the operating system. If its MY COMPUTER, should be my choice and without bunch nagging and whining.

I rather like the MX approach, they show number updates available, but its up to YOU whether you update daily (soon as any are available) or never. And you can just update particular software via apt-get without accepting all updates. BarryK has been quite clever in coming up with an easy way to update EasyOS. Though its just went through big changes so maybe now not time to expect easy update miracles if one has older version EasyOS. Puppies, well I always just updated whole system whenever some software I wanted to run required newer system. It really wasnt required all that often and complete new Puppy has not been an onerous download, least not since dialup days.

Return to “UbuntuDogs”