How to read a docx file in Xenial64? (Solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

number77

How to read a docx file in Xenial64? (Solved)

Post by number77 »

Hello
I am running Xenial64 on a Dell E6320 and am trying to read a docx file with no luck.
I have downloaded docx2txt 1.4.0.1 but no luck so far. What is the best way to do this.
I have tried to install Libreoffice 7.2 but it tries to start, puts up a Libre office logo then does nothing.
What is the best way to open docx files.
Help appreciated.
Thanks
number77

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: I need to read a docx file but can't.

Post by rockedge »

try and see if @mikewalsh's Textmaker stand alone SFS will load! Textmaker can handle docx with ease.

Download Textmaker2019-amd64.sfs

If that fails to run, perhaps installing the FreeOffice package which has Textmaker included could put you on the right road.

Use SFS-load-on-the-fly utility to load/install Textmaker!

number77

Re: I need to read a docx file but can't.

Post by number77 »

rockedge wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:37 pm

try and see if @mikewalsh's Textmaker stand alone SFS will load! Textmaker can handle docx with ease.

Download Textmaker2019-amd64.sfs

If that fails to run, perhaps installing the FreeOffice package which has Textmaker included could put you on the right road.

Use SFS-load-on-the-fly utility to load/install Textmaker!

Thanks rockedge.
Textmaker portable from mikewalsh works and starts perfectly. and is portable.
Thanks again.
number77

Last edited by rockedge on Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix a misspelling in quote
mikeslr

Re: How to read a docx file in Xenial64? (Solved)

Post by mikeslr »

Textmaker is part of the FreeOffice Suite. It, along with the other two components --planmaker and presentationmaker-- are reputed to be the best for microsoft application compatibility. Mike's package of the full FreeOffice suite won't add much in terms of resource usage if you have a need for them.

You may eventually have to register (provide an email address). The publisher, SoftMaker Software GmbH, is a good and reputable company. [The full SoftMaker Suite includes the other components such as Base, Math and Mailmerge]. It doesn't abuse the information you provide it to register. A couple times a year you'll receive an email offering a discount on the current Softmaker Office, or --maybe to see if you're still alive-- a free font.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

I use Libreoffice all the time to open docx documents. I generally navigate to the docx file via the FILE --> OPEN menu from a new writer document and the docx opens happily. A nuisance, but it does work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@number77 :-

If you'd prefer to use LibreOffice, I've uploaded another 'portable' I put together more for my own use than anything.....this time, based round an AppImage of an older 4-series L.O. This is 4.2.0.4.

Reason being, I've always preferred the looks and the layout of the older versions of LibreOffice. From the 6-series onwards, they started adopting the modern 'flat-look' styling, which I detest. Regardless of that, this works perfectly for me in Xenialpup64.....and copes just fine with .docx files.

If you fancy taking a look at it, you can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/fOhWRCSJ#I8aErvFAKa2DD-BG7RCB4w

Same usage instructions as for all the portables. Preferably run from outside the 'save'....

Up to you, of course.

Mike. ;)

number77

Post by number77 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:20 pm

@number77 :-

If you'd prefer to use LibreOffice, I've uploaded another 'portable' I put together more for my own use than anything.....this time, based round an AppImage of an older 4-series L.O. This is 4.2.0.4.

Reason being, I've always preferred the looks and the layout of the older versions of LibreOffice. From the 6-series onwards, they started adopting the modern 'flat-look' styling, which I detest. Regardless of that, this works perfectly for me in Xenialpup64.....and copes just fine with .docx files.

If you fancy taking a look at it, you can find it here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/fOhWRCSJ#I8aErvFAKa2DD-BG7RCB4w

Same usage instructions as for all the portables. Preferably run from outside the 'save'....

Up to you, of course.

Mike. ;)

Thanks Mike, will give it a go.
Yes, OCX files no problem, and portable too.
Thanks again

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Geek3579 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:32 am

I use Libreoffice all the time to open docx documents. I generally navigate to the docx file via the FILE --> OPEN menu from a new writer document and the docx opens happily. A nuisance, but it does work.

Selecting any Wordprocessor that can actually open them, docx files can automatically be opened by them. IIRC:
File-browse to /usr/share/applications and scroll 'till you can see the desktop file of such Wordprocessor. Leave that window open.
Open a 2nd Window to a docx file. Right-Click it and on the pop-up menu click "Set run action". A GUI will open. Drag your choice of wordprocessor.desktop file onto the top panel of that GUI.

Alternatively, it can be added to Right-Click's 'open with' menu by a similar procedure.

Of course, the foregoing assumes you have rox as file-manager. I love rox. Would prefer a 2-or-4 pane option, but that absence is a minor inconvenience. See rox-sets, https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?t=4282 and my take-away from instructions by williams2, https://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic. ... 909#p39586. I personally think that tunnel vision among Devs of the 'Big Boy' distributions prevents rox from being more widely used.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@mikeslr

Would prefer a 2-or-4 pane option

You can sort of setup this preference by manually configuring the geometry and size of the windows individually and then opening the respective windows simultaneously with one command. I never have need for dual-pane windows because my bookmarks are setup very well. I use one fixed sized window and my bookmarks layout looks like the image below. I do not drag and drop either (apart from in rare cases) but always use the right-click options instead.

Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (123.78 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

Return to “Beginners Help”