Problem with screen resolution in Fossapup and Xenial84

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

cds60

Problem with screen resolution in Fossapup and Xenial84

Post by cds60 »

I am having an issue screen resolution with Live Boot of Fossapup and Xenial64 from USB. Both are UEFI-64 boots.

Power on and boot with USB - screen resolution is always 800x600 and cannot be changed
Power on, select Boot Menu (F10), select USB and continue boot, screen resolution is 1920x1080 and can be changed

Resolution difference can be see already when "Loading vmlinuz" text appears on the screen.

Hardware is NUC11TNHi3 (and earlier version NUC7)
No hard drives are installed, only the boot USB

Fossapup USB was created using Rufus 3.17 in Windows10
Xenial64 USB was created using GParted and Frugalpup-37 in Fossapup

Everything else seems to work perfectly, only issue is screen resolution. While I have been a software engineer for years, puppy linux is an OS only used for one application in our company, so my experience is limited.

What is different between a default boot from USB, or selecting F10 to choose the USB?

Phoenix

Re: Problem with screen resolution

Post by Phoenix »

You can try appending nomodeset, to the boot line. Press e to edit.

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

cds60

Post by cds60 »

Thank you for the suggestion Phoenix. I added the nomodeset option, but there was no change.

It seems like when I select F10, the screen resolution for the boot menu is used, and that in turn allows puppy to start up correctly. At least that is my theory :)

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

cds60 wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:15 pm

I am having an issue screen resolution with Live Boot of Fossapup and Xenial64 from USB. Both are UEFI-64 boots.

Power on and boot with USB - screen resolution is always 800x600 and cannot be changed
Power on, select Boot Menu (F10), select USB and continue boot, screen resolution is 1920x1080 and can be changed
Emphasis supplied.

Resolution difference can be see already when "Loading vmlinuz" text appears on the screen.

Hardware is NUC11TNHi3 (and earlier version NUC7)
No hard drives are installed, only the boot USB

Fossapup USB was created using Rufus 3.17 in Windows10
Xenial64 USB was created using GParted and Frugalpup-37 in Fossapup

Everything else seems to work perfectly, only issue is screen resolution. While I have been a software engineer for years, puppy linux is an OS only used for one application in our company, so my experience is limited.

What is different between a default boot from USB, or selecting F10 to choose the USB?

This is just a possible work-around. I don't know anything about hardware and how to manipulate it.

Suggest that you download, unpack and install nicOS-Utility-Suite, viewtopic.php?p=12983#p12983. Restart-X (aka Graphical Server) to re-catalog your system. Save & Reboot is NOT necessary.

Change the resolution to whatever you want. Then run nicOS-UtilitySuite's Save2SFS module to create either a ydrv.sfs or an adrv.sfs. It will capture your settings which will be used on next boot-up if located adjacent to your other system files, e.g. zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs

Fossapup64 already has an adrv.sfs. adrv's have priority over ydrv's. You can either rename the current adrv.sfs to ydrv.sfs and create a new adrv.sfs or allow Save2SFS to 'capture' your current adrv.sfs.

cds60

Post by cds60 »

I downloaded and tried nicOS-Utility-Suite, but am still having no success.

xrandr -q always shows the active resolution as the only one possible.

Default driver loaded is Intel, forcing the driver to modesetting or fbdev has no effect. Forcing the driver to vesa causes X to not load.

PupSysInfo shows it knows what resolution I requested, but the actual rendering is always either 800x600 (no F10) or 1920x1080 (pressed F10).

I was mistaken on my original post, the resolution cannot be changed regardless of whether F10 was pressed or not.

Definitely running out of ideas....

Phoenix

Post by Phoenix »

Okay, so you can try defining a new resolution.

First, get a terminal open!
Next, type in cvt width height hz (You should know the monitor specifications so you can fill in these blanks)
Read the output, and copy everything after Modeline. Example: "1024x768_144.00" <insert some random numbers>
You can copy via Alt+Insert or via xvkbd (Utility) if the keys are not present.
Type in xrandr --newmode <paste here> without the angle brackets and press Enter.
Then xrandr --addmode <screen name> "1024x768_144.00". Make sure you replace the string inside the quotations with the actual resolution+Hz string you got from cvt
The screen name is usually VGA-0 however you can double check via just typing in xrandr.

EDIT: Forgot to enable Markdown

IRC: firepup | Time to hack Puppy!

williams2

Post by williams2 »

The last lines in /var/log/Xorg.0.log should show you which driver you are using.

You can click the console button on the desktop to get a text terminal.
then copy / paste this to the terminal:
(select the text with the mouse to copy, click the mouse wheel to paste)

tail /var/log/Xorg.0.log

If you are using the vesa driver, there probably will be not be many resolutions to choose.

Return to “Users”