hooray for raspup!

Moderator: Forum moderators

artemis

hooray for raspup!

Post by artemis »

tonight I wanted to set up a torrent box i can leave on all day connected to a VPN and so I put raspup on a pi i had lying around. Barry's network tool worked flawlessly connect to WiFi, and the SFS downloader got me Chromium and PPM got me Transmission and OpenVPN. I made a torrents folder for Transmission and turned on the Web UI inside it so I can add torrents from my laptop.

Then I needed to get to the files but I remembered- raspup comes with Samba Simple Management. lives up to its name, I just had to click a few buttons and samba was up. On my laptop I can add torrents and use Pnethood to mount the share to get the files.

The only time I even had to open a terminal was to run openvpn since I did not have a better way to do it. Lovely experience, and much easier time than I normally have with a raspberry pi. This one's a keeper!

tony

Re: hooray for raspup!

Post by tony »

Thanks artemis

OK I love it.
But no updates and almost no posts on this forum.
Sylpheed no longer works with latest Gmail.
o1mico is long gone.

Please post again, we need CPR here.

Regards. Tony.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@tony good news is @01micko still keeps an eye out on the forum. Not much input here but does work on woof-CE regularly.

Perhaps drop a note on the GitHub repo for woof-CE for 01micko?

Maybe some activity will bring in some more collaboration here on the forum for RasPup

artemis

Post by artemis »

tony wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:40 pm

Sylpheed no longer works with latest Gmail.

sadly this is not something an update will fix. see https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255

google has broken gmail for any mail client that refuses to implement their OAUTH2. The only open source email client that does today is Thunderbird... a sad state of affairs, but not sylpheed nor claws have OAUTH2 even in the latest versions. Best choice is to either use thunderbird or switch mail providers.

debian buster is still in support and bookworm is right around the corner. https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2 ... 00251.html. maybe the best option is to skip bullseye for raspup?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Welcome to all the stuff Google is messing up, unless you use Google software to do it! :evil: :twisted: :thumbdown:

Raspup's Puppy Package Manager can provide and install Thunderbird, but it is a version 78, from RaspberryOS repository.
Probably will not work for the latest Gmail.
Note:
If you try it.
For some reason, it takes about 10 seconds to show on the screen, from time you click on the menu entry, to run it.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

artemis

Post by artemis »

Looks like OAUTH2 was added to thunderbird around version 38 so 78 should work just fine. it's been in there for years, before even buster was a thing.

google has been using this login mechanism for a number of years now. First they added it as an alternative to normal user/password login. Then they made it so user/password would not work but you could generate a random "application password" to put in your email client. its only now that they have finally removed that workaround so OAUTH2 is the only way.

oh i also looked it up and found this https://github.com/simonrob/email-oauth2-proxy which seems to present a local IMAP server for mail clients without OAUTH and then implements the required authentication for gmail. I have not tried it! but I am interested

Return to “Raspbian Buster”