Who's treated themselves to some new hardware recently..?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Grey

A desk is the most important computer device :)

Post by Grey »

The table is an important device :)
There are a lot of desks on sale, computer, writing and all sorts of different ones. I'm going to buy something sane for a second computer instead of an old desk.

I have already (by 90 percent) decided to take a high one. The fact is that almost all the tables are of some kind... low, the height from the floor to the countertop is 74-75 centimeters (less than 30 inches).

Why do they say on TV that now the average person's height has increased, and the tables are made so low :) ?!
I found on sale only one model with a height of 79 centimeters, plus I can put a stand under the monitor on the table. I want to keep my back straight :)

It looks like this (there are holes for wires):

stol_sokol.png
stol_sokol.png (187.83 KiB) Viewed 1573 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Re: Who's treated themselves to some new hardware recently..?

Post by Grey »

I extended the table from the previous post with the help of a small table "with one leg" (the same factory made of the same materials).

It has a width of 900 millimeters, and a large table has 600. I had to saw off a little to the left and right of the small table. In addition, the height is 750, and the big one has 790. I had to cut out a triangular board, cover it with varnish and thus increase the height of the "leg" by screwing the "addon" between the "leg" and the tabletop. I connected two tables into one with the help of steel corners.

The result was a long table with a length of 165 (65 inches) centimeters (was 120).

What kind of things are sold in stores. Everything needs to be refined for yourself :)

Solol_mal.gif
Solol_mal.gif (8.75 KiB) Viewed 1540 times

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

This is neat, but VEEEEEERY expensive!!!!

Take a look and see what you think.

It might give you some ideas.

next-desk

Click on Product Details and scroll down for measurements.

If not then good luck with your adaption.

Disclaimer: I am not associated in any way whatsoever with next desk.

Last edited by bigpup on Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed direct link for place to buy. So this post is not a direct add and place to buy.

Chelsea80

1. BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)
....Frugal Install - Internal HDD - Gateway MX8716b - HDD 120GB - RAM 2GB

2. Friendly-Bionic32 v1.1
....USB Stick 2GB

Grey

Post by Grey »

Chelsea80 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:33 pm

This is neat, but VEEEEEERY expensive!!!!
Take a look and see what you think.

I think it's not bad. But I also think that the county of Devonshire is quite far away from me (I know about these places from books by Agatha Christie and Arthur Conan Doyle) :) Shipping will be VEEEEEERY expensive ;) In addition, due to some events, delivery is most likely simply impossible now.

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@Grey

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough.

I only gave you the link so you could do a look see in case it might help in your decision making.

Style, measurements, all in one type.

Thinking there might be a possibility of someone much nearer to your location that could accommodate.

If what ever you do to get it to work for you, then that's a bonus.

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

1. BionicPup32+28 19.03 - Linux 4.9.163 - lxpup - 32-pae [i686] - (UPup Bionic Beaver)

....USB Stick 2GB

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@bigpup

I have noted your edit.

I was unaware that to post a direct link to a company was not allowed.

As you can see from my posts my intention was to only offer a little help.

Perhaps you could explain this exclusion in the FAQ section so you do not have to edit again in the future someone else who is unaware.

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

....USB Stick 2GB

wiak

Post by wiak »

Chelsea80 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:42 pm

@bigpup

I have noted your edit.

I think you could just name the product. People do that often, but avoid giving the link so not direct. Easy enough to then google. It is a great desk by the way - I took a look. Clever design and gives good ideas for homemade versions.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ wiak

Thanks for your suggestion regarding product name only.

So if I had done that and someone had wanted to see the desk they would have gone the pretty route but ended up at the same destination.

Circumnavigation?

Fiddle On The Roof "If I Were A Rich Man" comes to mind.

Way out of my price range I'm afraid.

Everyday is a school day.

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

....USB Stick 2GB

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Chelsea80 wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:42 pm

@bigpup

I have noted your edit.

Perhaps you could explain this exclusion in the FAQ section so you do not have to edit again in the future someone else who is unaware.

Best regards

Chelsea80

I thought this was stated in the forum terms, but looking at it.
The specific statement, about do not post ads for stuff, with links to buy it, is not there.
I will see if it can be added to the terms you agree to, to use the forum.
Thanks!

Almost every day, there are topics made, that are basically an ad for something, and a link to where you can buy it.
Those get deleted, as soon as they are posted, and discovered by a moderator!

This is a fine line of what is an ad and what is not.
Especially, when it comes to topics about a specific software.
Moderators tend to give those topics some understanding and not so clear, it could be seen as an ad, for the software.
I know, it is hard to post about a piece of hardware or whatever and not want to provide a link to the company, that makes it.
Provide the specific name of it, only.
Anyone can google it to find other information.

This is an ad free forum and trying to keep it that way :thumbup:

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

So if I had done that and someone had wanted to see the desk they would have gone the pretty route but ended up at the same destination.

Nothing wrong with posting an image of it.

wiak

Post by wiak »

We can all google/duckduckgo find anything. Reason that is okay/preferred is evident from the constant barrage of spam that hits this forum where some idiot posts some comment or other but purely to get some advert link included with their post (which was certainly not the case above - and the desk was frankly inspiring). Such users generally only post once to the forum, but easiest way to eliminate such junk is to simply ask members not to post links to commercial products. Otherwise even the spammers could pretend to be innocent in their advert posts, and leave us with no mechanism for deleting their posts. What is spam, usually, afterall? Advertising something to make money most of the time. Some forums are so full of spam it is not worth reading them.

Personally I wonder if it is really so difficult to detect actual spamming though. If we want to tell someone about some great computer we have found, haven't we generally posted a link? So I do wonder if it is necessary to avoid links to commercial products when the intention is clearly not spamming, but that decision is for others to decide, and I feel most such decisions should be made by general forum consensus unless something creates more work for the likes of rockedge. I really don't myself see that it does in this case though.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

bigpup wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:51 am

Nothing wrong with posting an image of it.

Post an image AND give a name/description. If you want to be "technical" about it, that's not spamming.

Spammers are easily detected. Invariably, they're new members.....or "sleeper" members; may have joined some years ago, but never posted a thing.....then all of a sudden, the account is "re-activated" with a barrage of spam. The former is way more common though.

Mike. ;)

Grey

Post by Grey »

The universal table is certainly interesting. But personally, I decided to abandon complex designs. Now one of my tables is two-storied, well, there is a table at the bottom, and there is an add-on with shelves on it.

I decided to give (for free, out of friendship) this table to my friend, a 70-year-old electrician. And to put myself a table that I assembled from two in previous posts. Well, INSTEAD of the "second floor with shelves", put a separate rack next to it.

Next month I will choose a rack. Preferably of the "closed" type at least half, so that the doors are at least for several shelves from below. And I will wipe the dust on the upper shelves more often :)

Chelsea80

Post by Chelsea80 »

@ bigpup

Thank you for your candid reply. My understanding of your edit is now much clearer.

Might it be possible to not only include “do not post adds for stuff...” in the forum terms but also in the FAQ section. I am possibly not the only one who doesn’t bother to read T & C’s, although I should. I feel that an inclusion in the FAQ section would be beneficial as this is more likely to attract a look-see. I’ll leave that thought with you.

I will, should the occasion arise in the future, do as has been suggested by yourself and others.

A positive outcome in the round has come from these posts. My thanks to you and the other contributors: Grey, wiak and mikewalsh.

Best regards

Chelsea80

Chelsea80

....USB Stick 2GB

ARAN

Post by ARAN »

I recently buyed a Lenovo Workstation.
Its a dual Xeon Workstation but had some weak processors.

I figured out that i can buy very powerful Xeon 12 Core 24 Hyperthread CPU's for a cheap price.
In total my Workstation will have then 24 Core 48 Hyperthreads and i will be able even to overclock the CPU to > 4 GHz.

I ordered them on ebay for about 70 USD see picture.

Also had to buy 128GB of Ram for the Workstation as for this Xeon CPU's a higher RAM Frequency was needed.

I still do not have the machine ready as i am thinking what Cooling should i order for this CPU's
so i can overclock the 24 Cores and 48 Hyperthreads to > 4 GHz

It looks like Water cooling is the best solution but i dont have enough place for 2 times water coolers inside the Workstation.
Most easy solution would be Buy "Be Quite" Passive Cooler but i am not sure if it will work when i overclock the CPU's

For watercooling i will need to drill some holes i guess..

XeonCPU.png
XeonCPU.png (122.16 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

PuppyLinux User since 2005
HackLab Member at https://ievs.ch/

Grey

Post by Grey »

ARAN wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:11 pm

very powerful Xeon

Please accept my sincere congratulations :thumbup: Now you can render graphics in Blender in a couple of hours, not weeks :) Cooling yes, you need something more powerful.

I wanted to buy something like this from Chinese sellers (if I remember correctly 2680 V2), but for now I decided to improve my skills in creating 3d models and only then start rendering seriously.

Last edited by Grey on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Chelsea80 :-

Chelsea80 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:30 pm

Might it be possible to not only include “do not post adds for stuff...” in the forum terms but also in the FAQ section. I am possibly not the only one who doesn’t bother to read T & C’s, although I should. I feel that an inclusion in the FAQ section would be beneficial as this is more likely to attract a look-see. I’ll leave that thought with you.

Oh, gawd. Don't "encourage" him, Chelsea! Bigpup seems to thrive on "rules & regulations".....the rest of us are constantly having to "moderate" his over-enthusiasm..! :D :D (We luv ya really, Bigpup!) :P :lol:

It's probably worth thinking about, though, when all's said & done.

Mike. ;)

ARAN

Post by ARAN »

Grey wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:22 pm
ARAN wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:11 pm

very powerful Xeon

Please accept my sincere congratulations :thumbup:

Thank you @Grey
I understand that best would be having water cooling solution for the workstation :thumbup2:

p310don

Post by p310don »

@ARAN you should be cool with this custom setup...

Grey

Post by Grey »

p310don wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:06 am

with this custom setup...

I guessed it was hot in Australia... But to make it SO hot there... :)

ARAN

Post by ARAN »

p310don wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:06 am

@ARAN you should be cool with this custom setup...

Ha Ha Ha.
The Custom Cooling System when Pentium 4 was released with 4.5 GHz Processor speed and things got hot i think Ha Ha Ha.
Can not use this one for my Workstation, need some really good and cheap custom water cooling custom system sadly :-)

Started researching this topic lately and it turns out that all major cpu water cooling system producers are using for their products
a 12 DC Solar Pump that is sold for other purposes but fits their needs very well.
For the Water Pump they use the "Laing D5 Solar Pump" mainly.

As it turns out i can do a cutom water cooling system just using 12V DC Solar Water Pumps that are sold very cheap on the internet.
The eheim water pumps were the first one used when everybody wanted have such a diy water cooling system when there was no market for water cooling systems.
With 1 such 12V DC Solar Pump i can even cool the 2 Xeon CPUs.

Need do some more research.
Another possibility exist also using two very cheap solo pumps for each CPU.

Here is a very good video i found explaining this things

ARAN

Post by ARAN »

Hi all.

Good News.

After researching the topic i found out that custom cooling will cost me 2 to 3 time more then when i buy a AIO system and modify it.

I ordered the last days because of this 2x the LC-Power 360 LiCo water cooling system and will modify them to fit my needs.

Have some interesting ideas with additional booster cooling to bring down the temperature to 5 Degrees Celsius down aka near water freezing point.
Will need buy reservoirs and other stuff so i can upgrade it to have a perfect cooling system for my 2 Xeon CPU with in total 48 Hyper Threads :-)

The LC-Power 360 LiCo Water CPU Coolers have cost me each only 65 USD.
For a custom water cooler only the water pump would cost me itself at least 75 USD.

So i got now a all in one solution that cost me less than the water pump.

Need now find time to build the whole thing together.

https://forum.puppylinux.com/download/f ... w&id=10029

Attachments
LC-Power-360-LiCo
LC-Power-360-LiCo
LC-Power-360-LiCo.jpg (61.38 KiB) Viewed 2035 times

Grey

XPPen Deco 01 V2 graphic tablet

Post by Grey »

I bought a graphic tablet Deco 01 V2 from XPPen today. Yes, of course not Wacom :roll: But it seems quite a good device (the pen is without batteries, the wires are rubberized and all that). I immediately bought 50 pen tips, in case of erasure or loss of those that are included (there are 10 of them).

Most importantly, the manufacturer's website has drivers for Linux (in fact, the control program and settings). deb, rpm and tar.gz . I chose the last of the options, unpacked and installed (in Fossapup) using a script from the archive.

Quite a workable thing. There is even a transparent frame around the window :) and minimization in the system tray, plus pressing the keys on the tablet is accompanied by inscriptions on the screen. However, I wanted an English menu, but it turned out in Russian. Well, it's okay:

Deco_01_V2.jpg
Deco_01_V2.jpg (67.38 KiB) Viewed 1985 times

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, grey, for posting. I've often wondered if there was a graphic table which (a) worked with Puppys and (b) that trial by someone who has serious doubts that his lack of hand-eye co-ordination wouldn't prove it to just be a waste of money.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Grey :-

Keep us posted on how well this works for you, please? At that price - GBP £50 approx - for a brand-new item, at that sort of size, if it works OK with Puppy it may be just what I've been looking for.

I remember greengeek having fun & games trying to get a second-hand Wacom tablet he found on eBay working with Puppy. It was at least a year ago; can't remember what the eventual outcome was, but I'd love to know whether or not this works for you.....and how well.

(Anything's got to be an improvement on my "pen mouse". Nice idea in theory, but in practice not the easiest or most natural things to try and draw with.... Given the need to keep pressing buttons on the thing, it tends to make your nice smooth lines all jerky, like!)

TIA.

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

2 Ports, USB 3.0, Front Panel Floppy Disk Bay, 20 Pin, Hub Bracket

Screenshot.jpg
Screenshot.jpg (32.54 KiB) Viewed 1798 times

I like the simpleness of this thing.
Nothing but a mount for the USB ports.
A cable connecting them to the motherboard USB front panel connector.
Providing same power and features of the motherboard USB 3.0 ports.

Some of these type panels, had circuit boards on them, and also needed a power cable hookup. :thumbdown:

I Have a home built computer full of very new parts, but the desktop case is a very old mid-tower.
The case is 20+ years old.
It is able to hold a modern ATX motherboard, so it works for me. :thumbup:

Back in those days there was no USB front ports.
I am not even sure there was USB, at the time.
All it has for places to put anything, that can be accessed from the front, are CD and floppy disc slots.
The CD slots inside are full of Hard Drives and SSD Drives and a CD/DVD player/burner, that sticks out of the front.
So, only free space was the floppy disk slots.

This USB, small 3.5" front panel, was a good fit for this computer.
It does only have 2 USB ports, but that was all I wanted.
Just an easy place to plug USB stick drives into.
Everything else USB, is plugged into the back ports, of the motherboard.

Never thought I would ever use 6 USB ports on the motherboard. :lol:
But All are in use by some external device. :roll:

Grey

Asus USB-BT500

Post by Grey »

So, on Friday, I will most likely still buy a Hyundai H-MC320 system with a height of almost a meter and covered with fabric. There's FM, USB, line-in and BT.
For Bluetooth, I decided to buy a small Asus USB-BT500 adapter. Yes, the most expensive of all that were in the store, but there was a great hope to launch in Fossapup + 5.0.

I bought. It turned out that the 4.0 adapter from Vention works in Fossapup using Blueman. But the new 5.0 Asus is not.

But I managed to get everything running. So. We go to the Asus website on the device page, select Linux and download driver. Compile and install driver with the command (devx is of course needed):

Code: Select all

make install INTERFACE=usb

We launch services and Blueman (I compiled version 2.2.2 as far as I remember):

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
/etc/init.d/bluetooth start
bluetoothd &
blueman-manager

Well, the 8Bitdo M30 gamepad connects perfectly. I hope there won't be any problems with Hyundai on Friday either.

Grey

Re: Asus USB-BT500

Post by Grey »

Grey wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:09 am

I hope there won't be any problems with Hyundai on Friday either.

Well, I already have the acoustics. Fossapup failed to connect (Blueman connects, but loses the connection after a few seconds). In Jammypup is connected. On the second computer with Mint too.

Well, the main difference is in Alsa vs Pulse. And Bluez of different versions.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I am left handed and have been using a mouse for many years, but they have always been designed for the right hand.
The big difference of right or left handed design, is where any additional buttons are placed on the mouse and somewhat the shape.

So, it is Black Friday and I went looking for a left hand mouse.
I was happy to see that there are many you can choose from.

One type that I see is a ergonomic design mouse,
A strange looking mouse, that has a part that sticks up, and you grasp it very differently, than what I call, a normal mouse design.
So, I wanted to see if this new design was something to actually want to use.
None of the stores, where I live, have this mouse design to try.
So, went to the Internet to buy one.

Well, this ergonomic mouse design, does seem to provide what it says it does.
It is a different way to hold a mouse, but it seems natural, and works very well.
I like it!

Example of what I got:

61pWwHJExcL.jpg
61pWwHJExcL.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 846 times

51NI11Q9DWL.jpg
51NI11Q9DWL.jpg (30.05 KiB) Viewed 844 times

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

I just bought a Sony SRS-X3 Bluetooth speaker at Goodwill for $5. It's been running now for 3 hours. The only problem I can see is that the charging indicator light does not turn off when it's fully charged.

Attachments
srs.x3.jpg
srs.x3.jpg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 832 times

Return to “Users”