Atlantis Word Processor

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Re: Atlantis Word Processor

Post by mikewalsh »

dellus wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:11 pm

Softmaker Freeoffice supports odt saving. I still use an older version as my favorite light word processor. It just misses docx format. Later docx was added but odt dropped sadly. The present version supports odt again, according to their website, but it's not light anymore.

@dellus :-

A number of us were discussing this a while back. We more or less unanimously came to the conclusion that for most people, the one part of any office suite that got the most use was the word-processor, of course.

I've long been a fan of SoftMaker's FreeOffice. One of our veteran Puppians came up with the information that FreeOffice was largely 'modular', and it was possible to isolate the components for any specific module and run it as a 'stand-alone' item. So; a plan hatched....

http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/puppy/vi ... 9aa8393ab3

This post over at the old Forum details my creation/re-building of 'TextMaker' as a 'standalone' word-processor, and packaged as an SFS to load/unload as & when you want it. The download link is still active; this one is built from the 2019 'anniversary update' to FreeOffice 2018. So not THAT old....

Help yourself if interested. :)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

amethyst wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:02 pm

You may have messed things up with previous Atlantis files in /root/ .wine if you have saved your session before (it happened to me too). To check - Do a "clean" reboot (no savefile/folder only the Puppy OS files) . Then load an sfs Wine module and then the Atlantis sfs. The English spellcheckers should work and the application registered. This new sfs is self-contained and all the necessary files are included so there shouIdn't be any prior Atlantis files on your system. I've tested it on a clean install and it works.

I used pfind to search for other Atlantis files in /root/.wine and deleted what was found. However, I was uncomfortable that perhaps I had not removed all of the residue of the initial .sfs. I'm using wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1 so I decided to delete then reinstall it. I have only one thing I normally run in wine and don't use it much. I've just spent the last 20mins reinstalling this. I'm not that keen on running wine anyway so have decided to give up on Atlantis. Thanks for your effort and your help.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:41 pm

I've long been a fan of SoftMaker's FreeOffice. One of our veteran Puppians came up with the information that FreeOffice was largely 'modular', and it was possible to isolate the components for any specific module and run it as a 'stand-alone' item. So; a plan hatched....

http://oldforum.puppylinux.com/puppy/vi ... 9aa8393ab3

Having given up on trying to run Atlantis in wine I thought I would try your .sfs version of FreeOffice as I'm only looking for a small word processor, however I can't download it from your link. All I get when I try is a box saying "scanning for viruses" then nothing. I'm trying to download the 32bit version. It has just occurred to me that I might have to log into the old forum. Is this the case?

Regards,

Ken.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

keniv wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:22 pm

I thought I would try your .sfs version of FreeOffice as I'm only looking for a small word processor, however I can't download it from your link. All I get when I try is a box saying "scanning for viruses" then nothing. Ken.

No you don't (and can't) log into the old forum. I also sometimes experience the above, especially when running palemoon. Thought it was just me. Try using a Chromium based web-browser, such as Iron. With it, no problem.

Other matters.
Atlantis not writing odt files: What is does write are COD and RTF files. The former is nice: an AES 256 encrypted file. The latter can be opened by almost any Word-processor (Suite) including LibreOffice and OpenOffice, and re-Saved as odt files. It can also save as a docx file for use under MicroSoft.
Atlantis can read/display/ odt documents and save them as RTF/docx documents. So basically you can use a 1 MB application (Atlantis) to create documents and save them. And on the rare occasions when you actually need an odt document you can run your 200+ Mb Storage Space needed, RAM consuming LibreOffice and resave the documents in Odt format.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

keniv wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:07 pm
amethyst wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:02 pm

You may have messed things up with previous Atlantis files in /root/ .wine if you have saved your session before (it happened to me too). To check - Do a "clean" reboot (no savefile/folder only the Puppy OS files) . Then load an sfs Wine module and then the Atlantis sfs. The English spellcheckers should work and the application registered. This new sfs is self-contained and all the necessary files are included so there shouIdn't be any prior Atlantis files on your system. I've tested it on a clean install and it works.

I used pfind to search for other Atlantis files in /root/.wine and deleted what was found. However, I was uncomfortable that perhaps I had not removed all of the residue of the initial .sfs. I'm using wine-portable-3.3_v.2.1 so I decided to delete then reinstall it. I have only one thing I normally run in wine and don't use it much. I've just spent the last 20mins reinstalling this. I'm not that keen on running winego to anyway so have decided to give up on Atlantis. Thanks for your effort and your help.

Regards,

Ken.

Don't give up on Atlantis just yet. You are using a portable version of Wine which is probably the reason why the registration files and spellcheckers are not picked up because portable versions expand their contents to a different location as usual. All you need to do, is to install the spellcheckers and get the registration done. Here's how:
1. This step is probably optional but advisable - Edit the Atlantis.sfs file by deleting the /root folder within and rebuilding it.
2. Connect to the internet. Load the wine portable and new Atlantis.sfs and run the application. Click f7 on your keyboard or click Spellcheck under the tool menu. A popup screen will appear regarding spellcheck errors, click OK. Another popup will appear asking if you want to install the English spellcheckers. Click OK. The spellchecker setup file will download (it's small and quick). Run the setup and install the spellcheckers. Close and restart
Atlantis, the spellcheckers should now be installed.
3. I'm sending a PM with regards to the registration.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@keniv :-

Try this direct link, Ken. The other one was to the directory which contained both 'arches'.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbUI7R ... sp=sharing

If that's not working for you, I'll upload 'em to my MediaFire a/c, and we'll see if that works any better for you. Let us know what happens, please.

What browser are you using for the download, BTW? It can make a difference, sometimes...

(Having read the other Mike's reply above, I concur; if you're using Pale Moon, then yes.....it's very 'funny' when it comes to interacting with G-Drive. I can upload to/download from my OWN a/c with it no problem. But if I try to access somebody else's G-Drive a/c from Pale Moon, occasionally it'll throw a 'hissy fit' and give me the same response you get. Not often, though; it's quite possible Google is recognising the IP addy that normally connects to my a/c, so lets me through....

If G-Drive doesn't work for you, try this link at MediaFire:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rjgxzs ... tandalone' )

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikeslr wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:17 pm

Try using a Chromium based web-browser, such as Iron.

I have Iron installed so easy to try downloading with it. This did work. This time the virus scanning part ran a bit longer then I got a box with something like "This file cannot be downloaded, try allowing third party cookies. Not keen on this but when I enabled them the file downloaded. Blocked third party cookies again and cleared the cookies. Usually set up to clear cookies when I close the browser so I assume allowing a third party cookie as a one off was probably OK. Textmaker2019-i686.sfs now installed and working though did not do much testing.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:52 pm

@keniv :-

Try this direct link, Ken. The other one was to the directory which contained both 'arches'.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbUI7R ... sp=sharing

If that's not working for you, I'll upload 'em to my MediaFire a/c, and we'll see if that works any better for you. Let us know what happens, please.

What browser are you using for the download, BTW? It can make a difference, sometimes...

(Having read the other Mike's reply above, I concur; if you're using Pale Moon, then yes.....it's very 'funny' when it comes to interacting with G-Drive. I can upload to/download from my OWN a/c with it no problem. But if I try to access somebody else's G-Drive a/c from Pale Moon, occasionally it'll throw a 'hissy fit' and give me the same response you get. Not often, though; it's quite possible Google is recognising the IP addy that normally connects to my a/c, so lets me through....

If G-Drive doesn't work for you, try this link at MediaFire:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/rjgxzs ... tandalone' )

Mike. ;)

Glad you also think the problem was with Palemoon. I used Mike's suggestion and manage to download with Iron but as you can see in my reply to Mike this was not without it's problems. I am now wondering if enabling third party cookies in Palemoon would work. Thanks for providing the new link. As it happens I didn't need it but probably best that there's a link on the new forum.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

amethyst wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:47 pm

Don't give up on Atlantis just yet. You are using a portable version of Wine which is probably the reason why the registration files and spellcheckers are not picked up because portable versions expand their contents to a different location as usual. All you need to do, is to install the spellcheckers and get the registration done. Here's how:
1. This step is probably optional but advisable - Edit the Atlantis.sfs file by deleting the /root folder within and rebuilding it.
2. Connect to the internet. Load the wine portable and new Atlantis.sfs and run the application. Click f7 on your keyboard or click Spellcheck under the tool menu. A popup screen will appear regarding spellcheck errors, click OK. Another popup will appear asking if you want to install the English spellcheckers. Click OK. The spellchecker setup file will download (it's small and quick). Run the setup and install the spellcheckers. Close and restart
Atlantis, the spellcheckers should now be installed.
3. I'm sending a PM with regards to the registration.

Thanks for the information above and the PM. I am tempted to try Atlantis again if for no other reason it's so small although I realise it has it's limitations. I think I'll wait until I feel braver.

Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Using Palemoon v28.17.0
I had no problem downloading from this link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I got the message about virus checking.
About 10 seconds later the download started.

This virus checking seems to be something Google drive always does.
Maybe your connection speed has something to do with how long a delay, before the download starts.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dellus

Post by dellus »

@mikewalsh: Thanks a lot for the hint and the link to the old forum. Now I have learnt that odt saving was never dropped in Freeoffice, just hidden.
We have hijacked amethyst's Atlantis thread quite a lot (sorry amethyst). Maybe you should open a new thread at Additional Software - Documents with the link to the old forum. It's your baby.

keniv

Post by keniv »

bigpup wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:35 pm

Using Palemoon v28.17.0
I had no problem downloading from this link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
I got the message about virus checking.
About 10 seconds later the download started.

This virus checking seems to be something Google drive always does.
Maybe your connection speed has something to do with how long a delay, before the download starts.

I'm using Dpup Stretch 7.5 32bit so I have the last official build of 32bit palemoon which is 28.16.0. I'd be surprised if this was the reason I had trouble downloading from this link though.

@dellus

We have hijacked amethyst's Atlantis thread quite a lot

Yes have to agree with this and take some of the blame. Sorry.

Regards,

Ken.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

It often happens on this forum, nothing to worry about...but it does make things a bit messy at times.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

A cool feature of this program is that you can save your document as an eBook. I know there are marvelous writers or prospective writers in the Puppy community, so..... :P

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I tried Atlantis and posted earlier its pretty good IMHO, but will mention another alternative. Look for free portable version Jarte. It runs well in WINE and is an upgrade to WINE wordpad, meaning it makes it into a mini word processor but uses the wordpad engine. Its quite fast. It used to have couple things not quite right running in WINE, but they seemed to have fixed those, didnt find any quirks, least in WINE 7.1. Was just thinking last time I used it was in one of the portable WINE and those are lot older. So could been WINE that became more compatible rather than Jarte changing.

Somebody also posted CLI linux word processor called Wordgrinder in EasyOS section of forum. It felt lot like the old DOS word processors but if you arent concerned about all the latest formats, it does work (means you need to memorize the hotkeys) and you arent going to find anything smaller. Or you could find your favorite DOS word processor and run in DOSbox. I did that once, but honestly didnt see lot point, Libre loads fast enough and quite convenient. But the CLI will run on just about anything if thats important.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Atlantis is excellent, have used it for many years. Jarte is good too but can't write docx files. BTW - there's a free version of Atlantis too which is very good (I think it has almost all the features of the full version).

Return to “WINE 32 Bit”